QUICK- Anyone from Philadelphia?

Whats the world coming to....
A teacher going to a message board for information.
Per usual, just trolling today, huh?

Nope.
I'm totally serious. You have the whole internet at your fingertips yet you ask for help to do your job. Unlike teachers of yesteryear who had to research things the hard way.

I'm doing a class this afternoon on US govt/history and am trying a virtual tour of Philadelphia--Independence Hall, where the delegates might have stayed, what they ate, pics (and sound) of the Liberty Bell.... I don't know much--never been there.
Anything interesting anyone know about 1787 Philly that they want to share in the next hour?
have your pals torn down the monuments yet ?

If You needed to know how to properly make a philly cheese steak who else are you gonna ask?

I can search the internet and pick the one that sounds the best.
And believe me I've done just that...several times.
And of course I dont make a living making cheesesteak sandwiches.

I'm doing a class this afternoon on US govt/history and am trying a virtual tour of Philadelphia--Independence Hall, where the delegates might have stayed, what they ate, pics (and sound) of the Liberty Bell.... I don't know much--never been there.
Anything interesting anyone know about 1787 Philly that they want to share in the next hour?
have your pals torn down the monuments yet ?
Their mayor tore down the statue of another Democrat Mayor (Frank Rizzo), because that former mayor made the present mayor look bad. Rizzo had more control of the city due to his tough policing policies that included curfews.
I mentioned this Philly Mayor is no Rizzo and just days later he has the Statue removed. *L*

Independence Hall, the Mint, Constitution Center, Franklin Institute, Betsy Ross's house, there's a brewery there with recipes from the 1700's, the Masonic Lodge, old Episcopal Church, Penn's Landing, New Sweden (doesn't seem to be a transfer treaty of New Sweden from Sweden to the Netherlands), Coaquannock. Library. British capture of Philadelphia. The President's House in Philadelphia. Congress Hall: Congress Hall - Wikipedia
Wow! Thank you!
He liked the little tour, I told him the history of the Liberty bell and played the ringing for him. It called the people of Philadelphia to Independence Hall to hear the very first reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 8, 1776. Of course, I rammed a little of the Declaration down his throat too--good for kids, like Castor Oil.

I'm going to look up Betsy Ross's house.
Be careful with Betsy Ross. Her flag was deemed to be racist not too long ago.

Per usual, just trolling today, huh?

Nope.
I'm totally serious. You have the whole internet at your fingertips yet you ask for help to do your job. Unlike teachers of yesteryear who had to research things the hard way.
I'm a good teacher. I try to make it fun. Funner, anyway. US Govt isn't easy to make funner.

Independence Hall, the Mint, Constitution Center, Franklin Institute, Betsy Ross's house, there's a brewery there with recipes from the 1700's, the Masonic Lodge, old Episcopal Church, Penn's Landing, New Sweden (doesn't seem to be a transfer treaty of New Sweden from Sweden to the Netherlands), Coaquannock. Library. British capture of Philadelphia. The President's House in Philadelphia. Congress Hall: Congress Hall - Wikipedia
Wow! Thank you!
He liked the little tour, I told him the history of the Liberty bell and played the ringing for him. It called the people of Philadelphia to Independence Hall to hear the very first reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 8, 1776. Of course, I rammed a little of the Declaration down his throat too--good for kids, like Castor Oil.

Why?

Wow! Thank you!

Why?

I think this may be the only person to ever admit he was from there.

View attachment 358261
I went to Philly back around 16 years ago and stayed in the lighter side of the city. We went and saw the statue of Rocky(who beat the shit out of a blackman) and the Liberty Bell. Back then you had to worry about flash mobs..This market is so cool.

I REALLY don't like opera, but watching the crowd's reaction is really funny.

Wow! Thank you!

Why?
He considers the American flag offensive? I know he kneels during the Anthem because racism, but I didn't know he finds the flag offensive. I think it rots they pulled the sneaker. But he is their poster boy, isn't he? I suppose that gives him perks.

Wow! Thank you!

Why?
He considers the American flag offensive? I know he kneels during the Anthem because racism, but I didn't know he finds the flag offensive. I think it rots they pulled the sneaker. But he is their poster boy, isn't he? I suppose that gives him perks.
This was a big story a year ago.

Wow! Thank you!

Why?
See what you miss not having a tv? I'm glad I missed it.

Wow! Thank you!

Why?
It was all over USMB. Maybe it was while you were taking a vacation from the board,

When my family and I vacationed there back in 2015, we had the chance to tour THE very first (and still active) Post Office in the US, along with the oldest street.
Cool beans! STILL operating? I'm going to look that up.

I was showing my student pics of where George Washington lived when he was President, and I couldn't believe that it was torn down in 1951 because no one remembered where on the street it had been! To lose track of where the first President lived for 7 of the 8 years of his term? There are about a bazillion little signs all over upstate New York saying "George Washington slept here" or "George Washington camped here," out in the midst of a field or near a stop sign--wherever. But the hysterical society lost his HOUSE?

Well, no one's perfect.

Wow! Thank you!

Why?
It was all over USMB. Maybe it was while you were taking a vacation from the board,
I just avoid Kaepernick threads and racists' threads (June excepted) and if I read anyone bitching about him elsewhere I no doubt skipped over it.

When my family and I vacationed there back in 2015, we had the chance to tour THE very first (and still active) Post Office in the US, along with the oldest street.

I was showing my student pics of where George Washington lived when he was President, and I couldn't believe that it was torn down in 1951 because no one remembered where on the street it had been! To lose track of where the first President lived for 7 of the 8 years of his term? There are about a bazillion little signs all over upstate New York saying "George Washington slept here" or "George Washington camped here," out in the midst of a field or near a stop sign--wherever. But the hysterical society lost his HOUSE?

Well, no one's perfect.
That Monday morning we went to the Please Touch Museum, much to our disappointment because it was smaller and more expensive than the Strong Museum in Rochester. After parking Downtown and going to see the Liberty Bell, we went on a walking tour in the historic district.

Well, no one's perfect.
That Monday morning we went to the Please Touch Museum, much to our disappointment because it was smaller and more expensive than the Strong Museum in Rochester. After parking Downtown and going to see the Liberty Bell, we went on a walking tour in the historic district.
I love Strong Museum. I went over there once with a bell that I had picked up at a flea market and when I got it home realized it wasn't just an old black bell (it had a nice, clear, strong sound), it had engraving, and when I cleaned off all the tarnish I couldn't figure out what it was for. The researcher was super helpful, knew right away, of course. It was a call bell from either a hotel or large home with servants (like Downton Abbey) where you pull the rope in the parlor and a bell rings downstairs in the servants' quarters. There were a few of those bells, graded sizes, at the flea market and I only bought one. Each size gave a different tone, so the servants could tell where to head without looking at the board.

My favorite exhibit at Strong is always the toys.

One of my current students is from Philly and said it's kinda a mess these days. I'm sure like New Orleans and Boston, they keep the tourist areas clean and safe, though.

Forum List

Back