Questions for Experts on Energy, Specifically Carbon believed by many to Cause Global Warming

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
If an electric pickup truck towed several gasoline generators or one large gasoline generator and used them to recharge it's own batteries, would that produce more carbon or less carbon than a gasoline or diesel pickup truck of the same size?

What if it kept the generators in its bed and only used the trailer when it needed to haul things?

Would the answer be different for an 18 Wheeler with part of its cargo space dedicated to generators, and the non-generator space expanded to equal the hauling capacity of a diesel 18 Wheeler?

Would safety be affected by the use of carried or towed generators?

Well first they convert all pollutants to "carbon equivalents" drop the "equivalents" and convince people we are the sootiest place in the history of foreverdom. Carbon isn't even the most reactive greenhouse gas. It just sounds the dirtiest.

I've said this for years.
We are in no immediate danger of 'overheating' the Planet.
We will ALL outlive any danger.
Should we ignore the signs..........NO
Should we act on EVERY possible theory..........NO

The air temperature CHANGES rapidly. ALL over the World.
The OCEAN temperatures, only slightly.

When the Ocean Temperatures change, and the Crabs Migrate North, it might be worth watching.

Just saying.

What is this?

We have many posters on here professing to be experts on the topic of how burning fossil fuels creates carbon that will destroy the planet, but none of them are chiming in.

I suspect it is because the answer is so obvious, and the conclusion to be drawn from the answer almost as obvious.

The answer is this: of course you don't emit less carbon by burning fossil fuel to generate electricity and then powering a vehicle with that electricity than you would burning fossil fuel to power the vehicle, cutting out the middle step of generating the electricity.

The conclusion is this: That applies whether you carry the generator with you in the vehicle, or whether the generators are miles away in a power plant. X amount of fossil fuels will produce Y amount of energy and the process of converting it from one form to another can only cause loss of usable power, not gain.

Electric vehicles are the latest feel good expensive virtue signal for liberal elites, but they do nothing to "save the planet."

nope. Now, I am not a frequent flyer in climate threads, but I have never seen anyone claiming to be an expert in the field of climate science.
That’s very inter YAWN esting, GG.

Do you have an answer to the question, or not?

Let us not confuse Carbon with CO2
Also very interesting. You sound like you have some expertise on the topic.

Your answer to the question?

How much does a 65KVA diesel generator cost? $115,000
How much fuel does a 65KVA diesel generator use? 4 gallons a hour
How much does a 65KVA generator weigh, over 1 ton
Sounds like there is no way to produce less carbon by switching to electric vehicles.

If you are driving an electric vehicle, there's going to be a generator somewhere.

Sure, but not all are the same.

The state of Illinois for example generates half its electricity via nuclear plants, another 10% or so via natural gas and 10% renewables.

So, 70% is coming from sources that produce less carbon than a gas generator that you spoke of.

Sure, but not all are the same.

The state of Illinois for example generates half its electricity via nuclear plants, another 10% or so via natural gas and 10% renewables.

So, 70% is coming from sources that produce less carbon than a gas generator that you spoke of.
Be nice to see a link for those stats. The numbers seem oddly round.

But if we really want to reduce carbon, nuclear is the way to go.

Be nice to see a link for those stats. The numbers seem oddly round.

But if we really want to reduce carbon, nuclear is the way to go.

yeah, I rounded from memory, but here you go....

So, did I pass your pop quiz?

yeah, I rounded from memory, but here you go....

So, did I pass your pop quiz?
Yeah, you did good..

From your link:

Because Illinois generates much more electricity than we consume, the state is an exporter of electricity. Illinois is also a key energy hub for the nation, with over a dozen interstate natural gas pipelines, two natural gas market centers, several petroleum and petroleum product pipelines, and an oil port.

Sounds like Illinois is a very fossil fuel friendly state and is reaping the rewards.

Forum List

Back