question for mods: old threads/etc

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
.....a mod just closed a very old thread....are we supposed to create new threads or use the old threads that have pertinent information already in them/etc??
...also, I had a thread closed for ''''bumping''' [ HHAHAHhhaha = wrong ]
..point is: don't we want to keep the number of threads down by not copying them??
..I had a member copy my exact thread one time and he knew it because he was posting in my original thread

.....a mod just closed a very old thread....are we supposed to create new threads or use the old threads that have pertinent information already in them/etc??
..point is: don't we want to keep the number of threads down by not copying them??
..I had a member copy my exact thread one time and he knew it because he was posting in my original thread
Why don't you ask the mod?

Why bump a thread that died from lack of oxygen over 5 years ago?

Thread in question had no action from April 26, 2014, til about 35 minutes ago.

Like many things on this site, it's very random.

It's never been clearly explained why bumping old threads is inherently bad. Except when it isn't. It's all very confusing.

ok---roger that ......it was my understanding forums want to keep ''new threads'' to a minimum ...at least in other forums.....
....I guess if the OP is bumping it, I can see that .....I forget to look at the dates sometimes

Thread in question had no action from April 26, 2014, til about 35 minutes ago.
So?

If nobody is interested, it will die again
Why not let the posters decide?

In my opinion, for whatever it is worth, resurfacing an old chat does keep a duplicate one from coming into play. It can also be a way to bring back people who may not even come here anymore for whatever reason if they happened to leave their two cents in the chat at some point in the first place.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. And if any of the chat contributors are no longer here because of fate coming in, resurfacing what they took part in, to me, is a good way to remember them and to keep them here with us in what may be the only way that we can keep them here with us.

I suppose it’s up to individual moderator discretion. I personally don’t have a problem with an old thread being revived.

I don’t know why this would be an issue for any member anyway. What difference does it make if you revive a thread from five years ago or if you just start a new one? It’s still the same discussion

I suppose it’s up to individual moderator discretion. I personally don’t have a problem with an old thread being revived.

I don’t know why this would be an issue for any member anyway. What difference does it make if you revive a thread from five years ago or if you just start a new one? It’s still the same discussion

If someone finds an interesting old thread and wants to revive it, why not?

Let the current posters decide if it is worth commenting on. If not, it will be buried again in a few hours

If that is the way the Mods feel

Why not lock all threads over a month old?

Just read your post I was thinking a year because sometimes people get banned from the board. a months time isn't that long.
Shouldn’t be locked at all

Just a case of over zealous moderation. There is nothing in posting guidelines about reopening dormant threads

Sometimes they are funny or appropriate to current events

Just read your post I was thinking a year because sometimes people get banned from the board. a months time isn't that long.
Shouldn’t be locked at all

Just a case of over zealous moderation. There is nothing in posting guidelines about reopening dormant threads

Sometimes they are funny or appropriate to current events
It's a mod call if they don't want a thread of 5 years brought back to life all they have to do is lock it and the rest is history.

Forum List

Back