Zone1 Question for Christians

So you're one of those "it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are sincere" people, right?
Are you asking whether I am a binary thinker--i.e., one must think one way or the other--no critical thinking wanted?

I believe God reaches out to each of us where we are to draw us closer to Him. I hold no belief that people who are of a different faith or denomination are doomed to hell.

On the other hand, I have run into a few who hold the belief of, "I can sin all I want, because Jesus took care of the consequences of all my sins before I ever committed them!" I do not see sin as being on the road to eternal life because we are to turn from sin and towards God.

I know many atheists who turn from sin, and towards goodness, and that can be argued being on the path of eternal life although (in my opinion) they are missing out on the best part of it, which is knowing God.

As I said, Mark was written by someone who probably interacted with Christ.

It is the oldest of gospels. As such, it should be treasured much like getting someone's eyewitness testimony in court about an event.

So why did Jesus have others write about him? From my vantage point, anyone can write a Bible and tell the world how great they were, and there are many out there who did just that like Mohammad and Joseph Smith, etc. But try to get people to write about you in regards to how great you were

That is another matter entirely that would be valid in any court of law.

And the life of Christ speaks for itself as all of those who read his teachings, no matter the religion, identify him as coming from God.

I don't know anyone else like that, do you?
Leaders who claimed to be sent by god were quite common throughout history. It's not uncommon for some here at USMB to claim god sent trump to save our country.

Leaders who claimed to be sent by god were quite common throughout history. It's not uncommon for some here at USMB to claim god sent trump to save our country.
People will try to use God and anyone else for their own power hungry ambitions, like Jim Jones. That is human nature apart from God.

But those who sacrifice their very lives to help the people of God are the ones who should be celebrated and recognized. Their actions speak for themselves.

But Christianity as a whole doesn't. There are more quotes from Paul in the New Testiment than there are from Jesus. Many about things Jesus never mentioned. Christians accept Paul's teachings on the same level as Jesus teachings, or even take Paul's word even above Jesus's in many of the things they disagree about.

Can you post any of the scholars or commentaries you read? As a Catholic I would direct you to study scholars such as Scott Hahn or Jimmy Akins.

There are several, but no, I won't look up the names.

Catholicism may have a different teaching of 'eternal life' than Baptists. Many Catholic teachings have roots in Judaism. In Catholic teaching 'eternal' means no beginning and no end. It always is. 'Eternal Life' is not something for the future. We can all step into eternal life right here, right now. We begin living an eternal life with our Baptism, it not something for the future. (Living in love, truth, justice are all aspects of living an 'eternal' life.)

How this aligns with Judaism is that the Jewish belief has always been that God's Law has never been about getting to somewhere else. It has always been about how to live this, our present, life.
That is not previlant thought in christianity.

Not sure what that has to do with the supposedly one and only way to get to heaven. If those people chose wrong, that would make Christianity a fake religion, right?
Who said there was only one way to get to heaven? Scripture states God has an everlasting Covenant with the Jews. Paul states that those who hold no belief in God will be judged by their own hearts (meaning being judged by Christ is better). The Catholic Church states that what humans cannot accomplish, is still possible with God.

Christianity (other than perhaps Baptists?) is not about "getting to heaven". It is about coming to know, love, and serve God in this life, and also getting to know, love, and serve our fellowman. It is about living the best life possible, and continually working on creating the best version possible of oneself. We are working to become perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect.

The afterlife will take care of itself. Nothing we need to be concerned with. As Jesus taught, what we meet up in today's life is enough to concern us right now.

And all Christians are sinners. Many of us lived very wild lives at one time. The whole purpose of Christ's shed blood was to redeem us and save us from our sins. We're all called to repent of those sins and turn to Christ. Paul reminds us time and again that we should turn to Christ. He was a Christian's Christian.
I have a weakness for hot women and have casual sex with quite a few. I know I shouldn't but have a hard time resisting their advances.

So adherence to any particular set of "god's" laws is not important, right?
Wrong. My life would be entirely different if I did not put God first; if I held my parents in contempt, if I lied, cheated, stole, and killed. I would be miserable if I spent most of my time cheating on my spouse and coveting everything others had and I wanted.

The Beatitudes, while not considered "Law" have also had a tremendous affect on the beauty and blessings in my life.

To me God's Law is to this life as a sign that says "Danger! Quicksand!" is to a marsh or a beach. Follow God's Law, have a happier, easier life--having much the same result as heeding the warning about quicksand allows for a happier day exploring marshes and beaches.

Are you asking whether I am a binary thinker--i.e., one must think one way or the other--no critical thinking wanted?

I believe God reaches out to each of us where we are to draw us closer to Him. I hold no belief that people who are of a different faith or denomination are doomed to hell.

On the other hand, I have run into a few who hold the belief of, "I can sin all I want, because Jesus took care of the consequences of all my sins before I ever committed them!" I do not see sin as being on the road to eternal life because we are to turn from sin and towards God.

I know many atheists who turn from sin, and towards goodness, and that can be argued being on the path of eternal life although (in my opinion) they are missing out on the best part of it, which is knowing God.
There have always been a wide range of beliefs about what is required to be acceptable to god. Today's main stream Christianity doesn't accept them. Mainstream Christianity claims there is only one way to receive the beneficence of god, Anything less condemns the person to hell.

People will try to use God and anyone else for their own power hungry ambitions, like Jim Jones. That is human nature apart from God.

But those who sacrifice their very lives to help the people of God are the ones who should be celebrated and recognized. Their actions speak for themselves.
That's very inspiring, but has nothing to do with this thread.

That is not previlant thought in christianity.
Look again. It is exactly what Jesus was teaching when he said time and again, "The kingdom of God is at hand" (Meaning within reach of everyone.) He spoke of even sinners and prostitutes entering into the kingdom ahead of some religious leaders.

There have always been a wide range of beliefs about what is required to be acceptable to god. Today's main stream Christianity doesn't accept them. Mainstream Christianity claims there is only one way to receive the beneficence of god, Anything less condemns the person to hell.
I grew up in a family of atheists, Catholics, and non-Catholic Christians. Not one of the non-Catholic Christians in my family (nor in my wide circle of friends) had that view of hell, so it may not be as "mainstream" as it appears to some.

Who said there was only one way to get to heaven? Scripture states God has an everlasting Covenant with the Jews. Paul states that those who hold no belief in God will be judged by their own hearts (meaning being judged by Christ is better). The Catholic Church states that what humans cannot accomplish, is still possible with God.

Christianity (other than perhaps Baptists?) is not about "getting to heaven". It is about coming to know, love, and serve God in this life, and also getting to know, love, and serve our fellowman. It is about living the best life possible, and continually working on creating the best version possible of oneself. We are working to become perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect.

The afterlife will take care of itself. Nothing we need to be concerned with. As Jesus taught, what we meet up in today's life is enough to concern us right now.
Main stream Christianity doesn't generally endorse multiple routs for forgiveness and heaven.

Forum List

Back