Queen to receive £6m pay increase from public funds

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Good for her, she earned it. Canada is doing our part to contribute to the Queen, we give more per capita than any other nation as I recall.

For me, it's an easy choice, I much prefer Americas system of the Republic. God Bless America!

Queen to receive £6m pay increase from public funds - BBC News

The Queen is to receive an 8% increase in income from public funds, after the Crown Estate's profits rose by £24m.

The Sovereign Grant, which pays for the salaries of her household, official travel and upkeep of palaces, is to increase by more than £6m in 2018/19.

It comes as accounts revealed the Queen's official net expenditure last year increased by £2m, to almost £42m.

Sir Alan Reid, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said the Queen represented "excellent value for money".

The Queen and the Royal Family's official travel cost the taxpayer £4.5m during 2016/17, up £500,000.

Clarence House has also released its annual accounts, which showed the Prince of Wales' annual income from his hereditary estate, the Duchy of Cornwall, increased by 1.2% - to £20.7m.

Royal accounts - some key figures
  • £82.2m - Amount the Queen is expected to get from the Sovereign Grant in 2018/19
  • £4.5m - Cost of the Queen and the Royal Family's official travel in 2016/17
  • £288,697 - Amount spent on the Royal Train travel for 14 trips
  • £1.2m - Cost of replacing doors on the orangery at Windsor Castle
  • £154,000 - Estimated cost of Prince Charles and Camilla using "Cam Force One" - the official government plane - to visit Italy, Romania and Austria earlier this year

For decades, royals and their use of taxpayers' money have had the potential to be a toxic combination.

This latest increase in funding - the Sovereign Grant will have risen from £31m to £82m over six years - has been made public at a time of continued pay restraint in the public sector and when there is a focus, after the Grenfell Tower fire, on the divide between rich and poor.

Add in the £17,000 it cost to fly Prince Charles on a private plane between two of his residences and the ancient institution's critics cry foul. As they do each year.

And each year aides stress that a regal eagle eye is kept on travel costs and the extra cash is needed to save Buckingham Palace from damaging disrepair.

The generous royal funding formula will be reviewed in four years time. It's meant to last until 2026.

Royal officials have said they've no reason to believe "it won't remain in place".

Good for her, she earned it. Canada is doing our part to contribute to the Queen, we give more per capita than any other nation as I recall.

For me, it's an easy choice, I much prefer Americas system of the Republic. God Bless America!

Queen to receive £6m pay increase from public funds - BBC News

The Queen is to receive an 8% increase in income from public funds, after the Crown Estate's profits rose by £24m.

The Sovereign Grant, which pays for the salaries of her household, official travel and upkeep of palaces, is to increase by more than £6m in 2018/19.

It comes as accounts revealed the Queen's official net expenditure last year increased by £2m, to almost £42m.

Sir Alan Reid, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said the Queen represented "excellent value for money".

The Queen and the Royal Family's official travel cost the taxpayer £4.5m during 2016/17, up £500,000.

Clarence House has also released its annual accounts, which showed the Prince of Wales' annual income from his hereditary estate, the Duchy of Cornwall, increased by 1.2% - to £20.7m.

Royal accounts - some key figures
  • £82.2m - Amount the Queen is expected to get from the Sovereign Grant in 2018/19
  • £4.5m - Cost of the Queen and the Royal Family's official travel in 2016/17
  • £288,697 - Amount spent on the Royal Train travel for 14 trips
  • £1.2m - Cost of replacing doors on the orangery at Windsor Castle
  • £154,000 - Estimated cost of Prince Charles and Camilla using "Cam Force One" - the official government plane - to visit Italy, Romania and Austria earlier this year

For decades, royals and their use of taxpayers' money have had the potential to be a toxic combination.

This latest increase in funding - the Sovereign Grant will have risen from £31m to £82m over six years - has been made public at a time of continued pay restraint in the public sector and when there is a focus, after the Grenfell Tower fire, on the divide between rich and poor.

Add in the £17,000 it cost to fly Prince Charles on a private plane between two of his residences and the ancient institution's critics cry foul. As they do each year.

And each year aides stress that a regal eagle eye is kept on travel costs and the extra cash is needed to save Buckingham Palace from damaging disrepair.

The generous royal funding formula will be reviewed in four years time. It's meant to last until 2026.

Royal officials have said they've no reason to believe "it won't remain in place".
I am so glad that the United States of America, kicked the butts of the once mightiest Army and Navy of the world and we aren't pay for some royal asshole's salary.

Forum List

Back