Quarterback who lost Florida scholarship after racial slur video leaked gets offer from HBCU

AMart

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2020
LOL I hope he has a great college career.

Florida yanks top QB prospect Marcus Stokes’ scholarship after rapping n-word in video
Marcus Stokes, a four-star quarterback prospect who lost his scholarship at the University of Florida after video emerged of him saying a racial slur while rapping along to a song, has been offered another scholarship — at HBCU Albany State.

Back in November, a video emerged of Stokes — who is white — singing song lyrics that contained the N-word while in a car. In the video, Stokes is seen saying “welcome back, n—-.”

The quarterback recruit out of Nease High School in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. had committed to play for head coach Billy Napier at the University of Florida in the summer. But after the video surfaced, Florida rescinded Stokes’ scholarship.

However, Stokes announced on Twitter that he was “blessed” to receive his “first HBCU offer” to play at Albany State, tagging head coach Quinn Gray in the tweet. (HBCU stands for historically black colleges and universities).

Florida yanks top QB prospect Marcus Stokes’ scholarship after rapping n-word in video
Marcus Stokes, a four-star quarterback prospect who lost his scholarship at the University of Florida after video emerged of him saying a racial slur while rapping along to a song, has been offered another scholarship — at HBCU Albany State.

Back in November, a video emerged of Stokes — who is white — singing song lyrics that contained the N-word while in a car. In the video, Stokes is seen saying “welcome back, n—-.”

The quarterback recruit out of Nease High School in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. had committed to play for head coach Billy Napier at the University of Florida in the summer. But after the video surfaced, Florida rescinded Stokes’ scholarship.

However, Stokes announced on Twitter that he was “blessed” to receive his “first HBCU offer” to play at Albany State, tagging head coach Quinn Gray in the tweet. (HBCU stands for historically black colleges and universities).
Upstate NY has no black people.

I would be interested in seeing if a Black football prospect would lose his scholarship for the same thing. I would bet 5 bucks that someone has a video of a Black college football player saying the n-word. Not that I would want any specific individual to loose a scholarship over this.

I would be interested in seeing if a Black football prospect would lose his scholarship for the same thing. I would bet 5 bucks that someone has a video of a Black college football player saying the n-word. Not that I would want any specific individual to loose a scholarship over this.
To make it fair, they'd have to be saying "cracker". But that's NOT racist. :rolleyes-41:

To make it fair, they'd have to be saying "cracker". But that's NOT racist. :rolleyes-41:
No! I'm not one to play that game such that one group has the right to say a word freely and that word is banned for other groups. If Black People are offended by White People saying the N-Word then they better damn well not say that same word either. Practice what you preach.

No! I'm not one to play that game such that one group has the right to say a word freely and that word is banned for other groups. If Black People are offended by White People saying the N-Word then they better damn well not say that same word either. Practice what you preach.

Also, no one even cares about saying "cracker". We are free to type the actual word "cracker" as much as we want, but tying out the actual N-word is against the rules.

Also, no one even cares about saying "cracker". We are free to type the actual word "cracker" as much as we want, but tying out the actual N-word is against the rules.

Now the real question is was the version of the n-word he sung the "a" version or the "er" version, because they are two very different words.

Now the real question is was the version of the n-word he sung the "a" version or the "er" version, because they are two very different words.
They may be interpreted as 2 very different words when said by Blacks, but they are not interpreted as 2 very different words when said by Whites.

Why is is worse to say/call someone a N-word than it is to call someone a mother fucker? Stokes could have rapped "mother fucker" until the cows came home with no penalty. It seems to me that "mother fucker" is a worse slur than being called the N-word, but that's just my opinion.

They may be interpreted as 2 very different words when said by Blacks, but they are not interpreted as 2 very different words when said by Whites.

Doesn't seem right to ruin a person's life over not even saying it TO a person, but just saying it, and probably saying the least offensive version.

Doesn't seem right to ruin a person's life over not even saying it TO a person, but just saying it, and probably saying the least offensive version.
It isn't right. If it's wrong for Stokes to sing it while singing along with the rap song while alone in his car, it is certainly wrong for (black) rappers to be able to publish the song and sell it to the public.

Also, why is it okay to say "N-word" but it's not okay to say the actual word that is the N-word everyone knows what N-word means. Is it okay if I (a white man) sing a rap song sung by black rap artists as long as I replace every mention of the N-word by saying "N-word". I guess it would mess up the rhythm of the rap song because the rhyme scheme would no longer work, but it's better than getting black balled (or is that white balled?).

It isn't right. If it's wrong for Stokes to sing it while singing along with the rap song while alone in his car, it is certainly wrong for (black) rappers to be able to publish the song and sell it to the public.

Also, why is it okay to say "N-word" but it's not okay to say the actual word that is the N-word everyone knows what N-word means. Is it okay if I (a white man) sing a rap song sung by black rap artists as long as I replace every mention of the N-word by saying "N-word". I guess it would mess up the rhythm of the rap song because the rhyme scheme would no longer work, but it's better than getting black balled (or is that white balled?).

Because in the end for people who really care about all this, it isn't about the word anymore, it's about the power they can get over others because of the use of the word, sometimes even over people who didn't actually do the deed itself.

Forum List

Back