QB's Who Should Think of Retiring?

Rivers, Eli and Ben have almost identical career stats. I think Eli still has the most passing yards

Eli has done something no other QB will ever do......He defeated a 15-1 team and an 18-0 team in the playoffs

No, has the least passing yards of the three, and the lowest completion %
Eli has more passing yards than Rivers
I think Big Ben just passed Eli last week

Eli has done it without the receivers Ben and Rivers have
basically, after 15 years, all three have similar stats

I will list the stats as Completion % - Yards - TD% - INT % - Yards/attempt - Yards/game - Rating
Manning: 60.3% - 55680 - 4.5% - 3.0% - 7.0 - 241.0 - 84.1
Rivers : 64.6% - 54480 - 5.3% - 2.5% - 7.8 - 258.2 - 95.7
Big Ben : 64.4% - 55907 - 5.1% - 2.7% - 7.8 - 260.0 - 94.3
Brady : 64.0% - 70264 - 5.5% - 1.8% - 7.5 - 262.2 - 97.4
Brees : 67.3% - 74437 - 5.3% - 2.4% - 7.6 - 282.0 - 97.7

I put in Brady and Brees for comparison sake.

Manning is clearly the lesser QB of that list. He has a bit more yardage than Rivers and is worse than all the others in every one of those categories, which I considered to be the most important. Manning did have those 2 great runs in the playoffs to get Super Bowl victories, and nothing will ever take that away from him. Outside of those, however, he does not stand up to the better quarterbacks of his generation, and certainly not to the best.

I don't think record is really a great stat to judge a QB on, as it is a team sport, but I'll give that as well:
Manning: 116-113-0
Rivers : 117-90-0
Big Ben : 143-69-1
Brady : 206-60-0
Brees : 155-108-0

Manning has never thrown more than 27 TDs in a regular season. Ben has 33 this year, Rivers has thrown 34, Brees has had 46 and of course Brady had 50. Manning has been a middling QB who happens to have elevated his game in 2 years during the playoffs.

Eli Manning Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Philip Rivers Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Ben Roethlisberger Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Tom Brady Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Drew Brees Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Agree

And every one of this QBs is a HOF QB except for Rivers

I don't think Eli should be a HoF QB. He probably will be, though.
Two super bowls baby. He’s good enough. Maybe not the first year but eventually.

Without the two SB’s, granted you can’t them away from him, he did doesn’t get in to the hall of fame. As it stand he’s not a first ballet hall of famer like the other guys you mentioned, except for Rivers, and he has better stats than Eli.

Rivers, Eli and Ben have almost identical career stats. I think Eli still has the most passing yards

Eli has done something no other QB will ever do......He defeated a 15-1 team and an 18-0 team in the playoffs

I will list the stats as Completion % - Yards - TD% - INT % - Yards/attempt - Yards/game - Rating

Manning is clearly the lesser QB of that list. He has a bit more yardage than Rivers and is worse than all the others in every one of those categories, which I considered to be the most important. Manning did have those 2 great runs in the playoffs to get Super Bowl victories, and nothing will ever take that away from him. Outside of those, however, he does not stand up to the better quarterbacks of his generation, and certainly not to the best.

I don't think record is really a great stat to judge a QB on, as it is a team sport, but I'll give that as well:

Manning has never thrown more than 27 TDs in a regular season. Ben has 33 this year, Rivers has thrown 34, Brees has had 46 and of course Brady had 50. Manning has been a middling QB who happens to have elevated his game in 2 years during the playoffs.

Manning’s second Super Bowl he hardly threw the ball. That was a weird Super Bowl. He was the perfect quarterback to manage a sucky offense. He ran down the clock, didn’t turn the ball over and eeked out a win.

The second year Manning won the SB he threw at 65%, 1219 yards, 9 TD, 1 INT in the playoffs. It was a very good run.

In that SB he was 19/34, 255 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT.

As this NFL season has hit week 17 several QB's are showing their age. I remember Peyton Manning got to the end of the season and looked like he was done. This year several have seemed to aged quickly the last few weeks.

Tom Brady seems to have lost his edge along with Drew Brees who was sharp the first part of the season and now the defense seems to be keeping the team together, Big Ben is another one that has aged quickly the last couple weeks, also Charger QB Phillip Rivers also is looking a little worn coming off this last weekend.

Are any of them getting to old to play a complete season?
If drew wins or loses he might retire. But he still has it. Only two losses. He looked pretty good to me last time they played.

Brady’s team might not be that good, maybe it’s him.

Aaron Rogers is getting old. Or it could be his team sucks this year.

I don’t think Matthew Stafford is going to get any better. Maybe we should go young when his expensive contract is up god knows when.

Rogers has 25 TDs to 2 INTs this year. He hasn't carried the team as much as in the past, but he's still playing at a high level it seems.

Manning’s second Super Bowl he hardly threw the ball. That was a weird Super Bowl. He was the perfect quarterback to manage a sucky offense. He ran down the clock, didn’t turn the ball over and eeked out a win.

The second year Manning won the SB he threw at 65%, 1219 yards, 9 TD, 1 INT in the playoffs. It was a very good run.
Eli or Payton? I’m talking Payton.

And I’m only recalling the Super Bowl. If he had a good playoff run with lots of stats that’s cool. I just remember the Super Bowl was lame.

Eli really impressed me winning his two super bowls. I was happy because I know he has always lived in his brothers shadow. Now they have two each to be proud about.

Imagine how proud their parents are.

As this NFL season has hit week 17 several QB's are showing their age. I remember Peyton Manning got to the end of the season and looked like he was done. This year several have seemed to aged quickly the last few weeks.

Tom Brady seems to have lost his edge along with Drew Brees who was sharp the first part of the season and now the defense seems to be keeping the team together, Big Ben is another one that has aged quickly the last couple weeks, also Charger QB Phillip Rivers also is looking a little worn coming off this last weekend.

If drew wins or loses he might retire. But he still has it. Only two losses. He looked pretty good to me last time they played.

I don’t think Matthew Stafford is going to get any better. Maybe we should go young when his expensive contract is up god knows when.

Rogers has 25 TDs to 2 INTs this year. He hasn't carried the team as much as in the past, but he's still playing at a high level it seems.
I’m a Detroit fan I want him to retire. Before him it was Brett farve. Green Bay has been blessed. Now it’s chicago. Thought it was going to be Minnesota at the beginning of the year. Cousins fault?

Agree

And every one of this QBs is a HOF QB except for Rivers

I don't think Eli should be a HoF QB. He probably will be, though.
Two super bowls baby. He’s good enough. Maybe not the first year but eventually.
Eli has a historic victory

He may wait a year or two but will get in
Rivers is a great Fantasy Football QB like Dan Fouts before him. He has an outside chance after quite a few years

Another HOF QB

I would take him over Favre any day

Without the two SB’s, granted you can’t them away from him, he did doesn’t get in to the hall of fame. As it stand he’s not a first ballet hall of famer like the other guys you mentioned, except for Rivers, and he has better stats than Eli.

Agree

And every one of those QBs is a HOF QB except for Rivers

If Rivers wins a SB he’ll get in before Eli. I think Eli is a hall of famer, just not first ballet

Agree

If Rivers wins a SB he’ll get in before Eli. I think Eli is a hall of famer, just not first ballet
I agree

But Rivers problem is not just that he hasn’t won a SB but he has been pretty sucky in the playoffs. Some of the Charger teams early in his career were pretty damned good and he still was one and done

He has a few years left to improve his playoff performance.

You can point to great wins by all those other QBs......not for Rivers
He is Tony Romo

Agree

I agree

But Rivers problem is not just that he hasn’t won a SB but he has been pretty sucky in the playoffs. Some of the Charger teams early in his career were pretty damned good and he still was one and done

He is Tony Romo

And Rivers had Antonio Gates and ladainian Tomlinson. That’s being said unlike the NBA, in the NFL it’s hard to put up empty stats and he has put up some nice numbers. One of coolest Super Bowls this year would be chargers vs saints. I would root for Rivers to win because he hasn’t won it.

Agree

I agree

He is Tony Romo

And Rivers had Antonio Gates and ladainian Tomlinson. That’s being said unlike the NBA, in the NFL it’s hard to put up empty stats and he has put up some nice numbers. One of coolest Super Bowls this year would be chargers vs saints. I would root for Rivers to win because he hasn’t won it.
Good point

Rivers had some HOF talent around him and still couldn’t win in the playoffs

Imagine what Tom Brady would do with those guys

Agree

I agree

He is Tony Romo

Good point

Brady maximizes the talent around him. If he had those guys forget about it.

Eli or Payton? I’m talking Payton.

And I’m only recalling the Super Bowl. If he had a good playoff run with lots of stats that’s cool. I just remember the Super Bowl was lame.

Eli really impressed me winning his two super bowls. I was happy because I know he has always lived in his brothers shadow. Now they have two each to be proud about.

Imagine how proud their parents are.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Eli. Peyton hadn't been brought up yet. :)

Agree

I agree

He is Tony Romo

Good point

Brady played with Randy Moss, had a spectacular year, but lost in the SB. I think Brady has played on teams with better defenses than Rivers has for most of their careers. Brady is great, certainly better than Rivers, but it's not as if Rivers has spent his career surrounded by HoF players, or on incredible teams.

I don't think Rivers is a HoF QB. Of course, I really don't think Eli should be, either, nor Big Ben really. I don't know that I'd consider any of them to have been one of the top 3 QBs in any year of their careers. The Hall just likes to put in QBs.

Rothlisbugger and Eli look the most done of the old accomplished quarterbacks.

I haven’t seen Big Ben this year, but you can stick a fork in Eli. One thing I have to say about Eli is I give him a lot of slack for being overrated, but I respect the hell out of him for never missing games

Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford.

Peyton already retired, I think you mean ELY.
Yes he did.

Ely owns this thread

Ely is what Jay Cutler was for the Bears,a coach killer. the Bears owner always blamed the coach for Cutlers failures never admitting Cutler was the core of the problem and you could put Bill Parcells or Mike Holmgren out there,two excellent coachs and it would not matter in them winning games,same result would happen everytime. same thing here with Eli.

What are you talking about? Ely won Superbowls..

Jay won shit, and those coaches did suck.

I haven’t seen Big Ben this year, but you can stick a fork in Eli. One thing I have to say about Eli is I give him a lot of slack for being overrated, but I respect the hell out of him for never missing games
You don’t win two super bowls and suck. You play with the team you have.

He certainly doesn’t choke in the big game right?

I never said he sucked

I never said he sucked
I was just saying. I’m not arguing

With all things being equal who knows how good these qbs are. We can only judge them by results. If you watch Aaron Rodgers greatest hits you could say he’s the greatest but he only has one ring so he will never be mentioned with Montana but he may actually be just as good.

Eli joins an elite club of people who’ve won multiple super bowls. Without two he is not a hofer but with two he squeaks in. Ben is in. Neither will win another super bowl but I’ve been known to be wrong.

I like Kansas City and that Mahomes. I can see him winning multiple super bowls.

Will cam ever win one? God I hope not.

Will Russell Wilson win another one? Third best ratings.

Aaron Rodgers I would bet no.

Dak Prescott? I hope not. I don’t hate him just the cowboys

Winston, Trubisky or Mariota?

Or who are the guys I haven’t mentioned who will win one in the next ten years. I can’t wait for the playoffs.

Forum List

Back