Q about Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
In Arlington Cemetery, this tomb with an honor guard has the remains of soldiers who died on the battlefield who they can't identify.

If they can't be id'ed, how do they know that the remains of those of soldiers at all?

If someone's remains were found on the battle of Gettysburg, example given, how do they differentiate between a dead soldier and a civilian getting killed while taking an ill-advised shortcut on his way to his job at the Gettysburg 7-11? Or perhaps a local homeless fellow who decided to take a nap there and might not have been informed that there was a battle scheduled for the site?

Either of those circumstances would explain why the commanders couldn't figure out who the remains were from, since they were part of a unit at all.

In Arlington Cemetery, this tomb with an honor guard has the remains of soldiers who died on the battlefield who they can't identify.

If they can't be id'ed, how do they know that the remains of those of soldiers at all?

If someone's remains were found on the battle of Gettysburg, example given, how do they differentiate between a dead soldier and a civilian getting killed while taking an ill-advised shortcut on his way to his job at the Gettysburg 7-11? Or perhaps a local homeless fellow who decided to take a nap there and might not have been informed that there was a battle scheduled for the site?

Either of those circumstances would explain why the commanders couldn't figure out who the remains were from, since they were part of a unit at all.

More than likely, it was their uniforms. During battles and wars a lot of soldiers lose their I.D.'s. And if they've never had any dental work done or had some medical issue, say...something like a plate in their head or a broken leg at some point, then there's no way of telling who they are, as they wouldn't have any documented medical records.

Those boys take their job real serious, too.

It's someplace every American should visit...

ac09.jpg

ac02.jpg

Nowadays we can pretty well identify the remains of anybody. When the Memorial went up the science was not that sophisticated. There were a number of dead soldiers that were "unknown" for various reasons.

My dad is buried in Arlington. Many years ago my ex gf and I visited his grave and toured to cemetery. While looking at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, she asked me who he was.

True story, ...but she was hot!

In another life, another guy and I used to do a morning drive-time radio show in San Diego. A regular visitor to the station was R. Lee Ermey (the drill instructor from "Full Metal Jacket"). He would always visit around the holidays when the Marines were doing their "Toys For Tots" campaign. He was a huge supporter of them.

I visited him the last time I went to Arlington:

ac01.jpg

Forum List

Back