Pulpit Freedom Sunday.

Churches can endorse candidates, and still keep their tax exempt status - as a 501c4.

The only difference is that people who donate to 501c4s can't take that donation as a tax deduction.

This isn't about making Churches pay taxes.

Hope they tax the fuck out of every one of you, the American Christian Taliban needs to be slapped down, theocracies are dangerous as fuck to liberty and damned if you people do not want one, badly.

I guess you think that most churches aren't supporting obama.

I'll bet a moronic hack such as you would support a church that endorsed obama.

Nope, I am pretty adamant that politics of any stripe have no place in a church, they just do not have any respect for their followers making their own decisions.

Matters of Conscience, especially relating to Free Speech are above the Authority of Government to Regulate. Using the Tax Codes to Extort or Blackmail Religious Institutions into compliance with the Whims, schemes, Scams, of It's making, is both an Abuse and an Abomination. We have both a Responsibility and an Obligation to Witness, and tell the Truth about what we see. You don't like that? Bear your own Witness to the Truth from Your Own Unique Perspective. ... Or would you prefer to have someone threaten to shut you up, using the Power of Government, and the Threat of Blackmail or Extortion?

And here is the true danger....thinking that a religion is above the rule of law.

What kind of simpleton thinks Government=Rule of Law???

Oh, yeah, and obama supporter.

Why is it that no one is questioning this law, or the historical context in which it was passed.

Let me give you a few things to consider.

Passed in 1954 and proposed by a southern democrat.
What movement was just getting started in the US. Hint, Civil Rights.
Where did the prominent civil rights leaders come from. Hint, Churches

Could this law possibly be a remnant of the democrats civil rights oppression campaign.

Let's see who can actually be intellectually honest. Can you still defend the law in historical context.

I have no problem with ideas coming from churches. They should not have tax exempt status tho. That needs to go away.

Churches played a large roll in the formation of this country, political activity in the churches was never questioned from before our founding to 1954, curches have always enjoyed tax exemption.

Matters of Conscience, especially relating to Free Speech are above the Authority of Government to Regulate. Using the Tax Codes to Extort or Blackmail Religious Institutions into compliance with the Whims, schemes, Scams, of It's making, is both an Abuse and an Abomination. We have both a Responsibility and an Obligation to Witness, and tell the Truth about what we see. You don't like that? Bear your own Witness to the Truth from Your Own Unique Perspective. ... Or would you prefer to have someone threaten to shut you up, using the Power of Government, and the Threat of Blackmail or Extortion?

And here is the true danger....thinking that a religion is above the rule of law.

Rule of Law does not necessarily equal government. If I had wanted to mean government, I would have said government.

Hope they tax the fuck out of every one of you, the American Christian Taliban needs to be slapped down, theocracies are dangerous as fuck to liberty and damned if you people do not want one, badly.

Nope, I am pretty adamant that politics of any stripe have no place in a church, they just do not have any respect for their followers making their own decisions.

Ha! I seriously doubt that. I've seen the two-faced hypocritical garbage you post day after day. You aren't fooling anyone.

I think it's pretty funny that the same people advocating this are constantly bitching about Media Matters being tax-exempt.

Repealing the Johnson Act would allow Media Matters, and every other non-profit, to endorse candidates as well...

Ha! I seriously doubt that. I've seen the two-faced hypocritical garbage you post day after day. You aren't fooling anyone.

You are going to hell for that one.

Rule of Law does not necessarily equal government. If I had wanted to mean government, I would have said government.

It's right there in black and white pal.

Exactly...rule of law does not necessarily mean government. In fact, rule of law means even the government must follow the law...it is superior to the government itself.

There in black and white.

The reading problem is in ignoring the property tax issue. If church property were taxed at the same rate any home is....end of problem. It is not so much what is said but where it is said.

There is a sin of omission here.

Regards from Rosie

I think it's pretty funny that the same people advocating this are constantly bitching about Media Matters being tax-exempt.

Repealing the Johnson Act would allow Media Matters, and every other non-profit, to endorse candidates as well...

Are you seriously saying Media Matters is not an advocate for the commiecrats? Really????

Churches don't pay taxes because they are supported by charity. If a pastor gets paid, he pays taxes. The Church secretary pays taxes. The janitor pays taxes. Everybody pays taxes.

When the church sells those little bibles and recordings, they pay taxes on the sales. Churches pay taxes and should be allowed to say anything they want.

Matters of Conscience always have been. Maybe you could work harder at not being afraid of your own shadow, or conscience, for that matter. True danger my ass.

You mean directly, as opposed to indirectly, right? ;)

Let try to distinguish between the Role of a Religious Institution in the role of Ethics and Morality, and that of an Organization with a Political End. What are the Functions of a Religious Body? What are the functions of an Entity like Media Matters? How do they even compare? Does Media Matters run Charities? Hospitals? Food Banks? Shelters?

Not sure what universe you live in... but they already endorse candidates, and its ALWAYS the liberal.

it sickens me to see any pastor or guest in a Church involved in politics from the pulpit and endorsing a political candidate during a time of worship.

What you are so proud of, is a sin in my book.

preaching on issues, like against abortion and Biblically why you do not support it, is fine and dandy, but to take your parishioners who come to church to worship the Lord and honor His day of rest, while they are put through your stupid, idiotic sermon of telling this captive audience on who they should vote for or ''else'' they are gonna burn is SHAMEFUL and a disgrace.

in your preacher's personal life, he can give his political opinion, all he wants, he pays taxes as you say....

but to use a situation like forcing his parishioners to sit through a scummy political rally while basically held captive by him during the church hour in a church that is not taxed, from a pulpit that is not taxed, with pews that have never been taxed does not give that preacher the right to do this....let alone how He is spitting in God's face while involving him self in the scummiest thing there is out there....politics.

Not sure what universe you live in... but they already endorse candidates, and its ALWAYS the liberal.

No, they don't. They're not allowed to, per the Johnson Act.

it sickens me to see any pastor or guest in a Church involved in politics from the pulpit and endorsing a political candidate during a time of worship.

What you are so proud of, is a sin in my book.

preaching on issues, like against abortion and Biblically why you do not support it, is fine and dandy, but to take your parishioners who come to church to worship the Lord and honor His day of rest, while they are put through your stupid, idiotic sermon of telling this captive audience on who they should vote for or ''else'' they are gonna burn is SHAMEFUL and a disgrace.

in your preacher's personal life, he can give his political opinion, all he wants, he pays taxes as you say....

but to use a situation like forcing his parishioners to sit through a scummy political rally while basically held captive by him during the church hour in a church that is not taxed, from a pulpit that is not taxed, with pews that have never been taxed does not give that preacher the right to do this....let alone how He is spitting in God's face while involving him self in the scummiest thing there is out there....politics.

ANY pastor worth his/her salt does not have to endorse a candidate... if he/she teaches the correct Godly message, the parishoners will know which candidate lines up with Biblical principles.

My pastor would never endorse Romney from the pulpit, but we all know he would NEVER have us vote for Obama.

Forum List

Back