Proposal for Social Security

Should a portion of the Social Security Trust funs be diverted to US equities?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • IDK

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
As currently enacted, Social Security is a graveyard of capital. The fund, a joke since the government has been "borrowing" against the fund for decades, is solely invest in a special class of US Treasury. The only uses of the fund are to pay benefits and administrative expenses, which currently run .7% and can probably reduced at least in half.

The fund is projected to go insolvent in 2035. The bigger problem is this:

U.S.%2BDollar%2BPurchasing%2BPower.jpg

Left as is, the purchasing power is GUARANTEED to continue to decline.

In order to address both the looming insolvency and the continued decline of purchasing power, I propose that for the next 80 months, 1% of the "Trust Fund" be converted into an S&P index fund. At the end of 80 months the fund will be 80% US equities and 20% US debt.

S_and_P_500_chart_1950_to_2016_with_averages.png

Sure the stock market has ups and down over the year, but OVERALL THE TREND IS UP.

The so called "trust fund" which has not a dime in it should be dissolved and every person who has money taken from them for
"their own good" should have that money in an account with their name and their name only on it

The markets are corrupt. Seniors should not be expected to survive off a corrupt system.

Argue the government is corrupt also if you want. I'll then note you need to find a way to not involve either entity.

At least you have a choice in the market. You can put your money in T bills if you want or you can do what every single financially independent person in the world does and build a balanced portfolio

At least you have a choice in the market. You can put your money in T bills if you want or you can do what every single financially independent person in the world does and build a balanced portfolio

By stating "at least" you are noting the corruption.

Why don't you show just a single human institution that has never had any type of corruption then we can continue.

You are letting the perfect be the enemy of the good

I can't understand why so many are so acceptable of corrupt financial institutions.

Why do you think that any human institution will ever be 100% corruption free?

Let me guess you keep all your money in coffee cans buried in your backyard right?

There is perfection and then there is the idea of rewarding corruption. We reward it.

There is perfection and then there is the idea of rewarding corruption. We reward it.
You do know that "the market" is not a thing that can be rewarded don't you? It is something to be used and yes some people who use it are corrupt but why should that be a reason not to use it since it is undeniably the single most powerful tool the average person can use to improve his financial situation?

You do know that "the market" is not a thing that can be rewarded don't you?

And yet it can. We force the taxpayers over and over to bail out a corrupt system. We ignore those running that system breaking our laws.

It is something to be used and yes some people who use it are corrupt but why should that be a reason not to use it since it is undeniably the single most powerful tool the average person can use to improve his financial situation?

They don't trust it. Seniors want out. The next crash and they are back stocking shelves at Wal Mart.

Social Security is Communism, just like taxes.

FORCIBLY stolen from YOUR paycheck, for the use of the government, as THEY see fit.

You'll never see more than 1/3 of YOUR money they have stolen from you during your entire working life.
IF you ever see any of it at all.

If you want people to have a retirement plan, then create retirement plans with HEFTY interest rates on the money they put into it.......like 20%!!! These "financial intstutions" make BILLIONS a year on using peoples money for loans of all kinds, making anywere from 18% - 50% interest on these loans.........yet WE don't get to see ANY of that money made off OUR money in OUR bank accounts! These "financial institutions" can afford to give people a decent and livable/viable retirement plan with interest rates of 20% or more!!

But like everything else, people just bend over and take it, instead of fighting back.

Gone are the days where "one person makes a difference".
Now it's Mob Rule. And it's the WRONG mobs ruling!!

And yet it can. We force the taxpayers over and over to bail out a corrupt system. We ignore those running that system breaking our laws.

They don't trust it. Seniors want out. The next crash and they are back stocking shelves at Wal Mart.

Irrelevant. Even if you refuse to invest you still pay taxes and still are paying for a corrupt government that pays off the big businesses that own the politicians.

And you are just illustrating your ignorance of investment strategies if you think a market adjustment means you lose all your money.

Irrelevant. Even if you refuse to invest you still pay taxes and still are paying for a corrupt government that pays off the big businesses that own the politicians.

And I support people burning the whole mess down.

And you are just illustrating your ignorance of investment strategies if you think a market adjustment means you lose all your money.

Seniors aren't interested in spending their last years in "market strategies.

And I support people burning the whole mess down.

Seniors aren't interested in spending their last years in "market strategies.
And you speak for all seniors I suppose.

And if you really want to live in poverty go ahead and burn it all down. You'll probably be dead in a month

Older investors have obviously been in the market so they must have trusted it.

If you're not in the market because you don't trust it then you are not an investor.

And why should I want to emulate people who don't understand investing with a capital preservation strategy?

You can do what ever you want. We are talking about forcing people into the markets.

Forum List

Back