Professor threatens students for use of the wrong words

You cultural McCarthyites merely want to do what the professor is doing: teach the course by your standards.

The course syllabus is clear, concise, and fair.

Gotta be nice.

Go get a Ph.d., guys, and teach your own classes to your own PC standards.

I'm pretty sure I do not regret skipping college.
Depends on when you went.

When I went to college in the late 70's, the campus was a stimulating, free-thinking, tolerant place. We were encouraged to challenge our own beliefs with the same passion that we challenged those of other people. We wanted to hear everyone's viewpoint. And this was in California, mind you.

Now, it's just the opposite. I don't know when this happened exactly, but it really is a shame. College should be a bastion of curiosity, debate and ideas, not this.

When I went to college in the late 70's, the campus was a stimulating, free-thinking, tolerant place. We were encouraged to challenge our own beliefs with the same passion that we challenged those of other people. We wanted to hear everyone's viewpoint. And this was in California, mind you.

Now, it's just the opposite. I don't know when this happened exactly, but it really is a shame. College should be a bastion of curiosity, debate and ideas, not this.

---
I agree with your "should's", and that's the way it was for me at respected universities on both west & east coasts.
I hope the censorship, even if derogatory, is more of an exception nowadays than the rule ... beyond high school.

Relate the OP's selection with the entire syllabus.

Have to use sensible language in a sensitive class subject.

Makes sense. Those who don't like it get to not like it. Don't enroll in the class.
Except for the fact that the LISTED words are NOT offensive.

You don't get to determine what is or is not offensive to other people.

Makes sense. Those who don't like it get to not like it. Don't enroll in the class.

Homey, you don't make the rules for the class, so yeah the prof gets to set the standards.

What you can do is not enroll.

Exactly who gets to make that decision? And when did acedemia start to think it was acceptable to tell students that they can't speak in offensive terms?

I had a Beat professor that went out of his way to offend students. He taught us about Lenny Bruce, Firesign theater, and the counter-culture.

Seems those lessons that the left fought so hard to open up the language and the thought of the nation, so that we could free our thinking, are now being used to stifle freedom of thought. What a shame.

images

Does this mean we should be fair about it and ban all words that that anyone feels are offensive to them?

*****SMILE*****

:)

The professors have always controlled their classes by means of the syllabus.

And you all are upset because you can't act like monsters in class? When were you ever allowed to do that?

You guys are silly.

Nah, the word fits in that it is hyperbolic as are you guys in your protests.

Use language in a class you have been told is not to be used in a class, and you are gone. You all know that.

images

I see... So it's an arbitrary thing that whoever has the power declare such can administer. However if they wish to call someone a monster, redneck, Nazi, peasant, etc,... it's OK.

Sounds like tyranny and a violation of the 1st Amendment to me.

*****CHUCKLE*****

The PC Police here agree that using terms like "males" and "females" should not be allowed in a class at a major college.

Anyone who uses those terms should be punished. That's unacceptable language now.

I rest my case.

images

That would make for an interesting biology class.

*****CHUCKLE*****

;)

The PC Police here agree that using terms like "males" and "females" should not be allowed in a class at a major college.

Anyone who uses those terms should be punished. That's unacceptable language now.

I rest my case.

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

;)

Better run it by the PC Police first.

"Birds & Bees" might imply heterosexual reproduction, which is not PC, it could hurt feelings or be a micro-aggression of some kind.

Plus it might also use the terms "male" and "female", which are already on the do-not-say-or-you'll-be-punished list (see syllabus from OP).

So you're probably fucked there. No pun intended.

I rest my case.

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

;)

Better run it by the PC Police first.

"Birds & Bees" might imply heterosexual reproduction, which is not PC, it could hurt feelings or be a micro-aggression of some kind.

Plus it might also use the terms "male" and "female", which are already on the do-not-say-or-you'll-be-punished list (see syllabus from OP).

So you're probably fucked there. No pun intended.

images

Nah! It implies Rishathra so I'm safe because it supports my stand on allowing all mature willing companions being allowed to form marriage groups as they choose so we don't violate the 14th Amendment and Civil Rights Act.

*****CHUCKLE*****

How does one professors obnoxious rules on one campus mean that colleges no longer stimulate debate? This clown is a radical departure from what happens across the country. I have two kids in college and nothing remotely like this happens.

How does one professors obnoxious rules on one campus mean that colleges no longer stimulate debate? This clown is a radical departure from what happens across the country. I have two kids in college and nothing remotely like this happens.
So you're pretending that this is the only case of PC or intolerance on a campus.

Sure, we can pretend anything, why not.

Forum List

Back