Pretending to be black got him elected

Sep 14, 2011
White, Anti-Gay Republican Wins Local Election After Pretending To Be Black

A white anti-gay activist won a local election after leading voters to believe he is African American.

Dave Wilson, who unsuccessfully ran for Houston mayor in 2011, narrowly won a seat on the Houston Community College Board of Trustees after pretending to be black in his predominantly African American district, KHOU 11 News reported Friday.

KHOU offered details on how Wilson, a conservative Republican, misled voters on his race:

Wilson, a gleeful political troublemaker, printed direct mail pieces strongly implying that he's black. His fliers were decorated with photographs of smiling African-American faces -- which he readily admits he just lifted off websites -- and captioned with the words "Please vote for our friend and neighbor Dave Wilson."
One of his mailers said he was "Endorsed by Ron Wilson," which longtime Houston voters might easily interpret as a statement of support from a former state representative of the same name who's also African-American. Fine print beneath the headline says "Ron Wilson and Dave Wilson are cousins," a reference to one of Wilson's relatives living in Iowa.

"I'd always said it was a long shot," Wilson said.

Just when you think the right can't get any lower.

He didn't pretend to be Black, he simply did not tell them he was White.

A questionable tactic to be sure, one I personally find distasteful. It makes me glad I did not vote in that election. I suppose that, if the voters are truly bothered by what transpired, the could have a recall drive and get their newly elected representative out of office...

As I said yesterday in the other thread on this topic, it reminds me of Eddie Murphy's The Distinguished Gentleman.

A white anti-gay activist won a local election after leading voters to believe he is African American.

Dave Wilson, who unsuccessfully ran for Houston mayor in 2011, narrowly won a seat on the Houston Community College Board of Trustees after pretending to be black in his predominantly African American district, KHOU 11 News reported Friday.

KHOU offered details on how Wilson, a conservative Republican, misled voters on his race:

Wilson, a gleeful political troublemaker, printed direct mail pieces strongly implying that he's black. His fliers were decorated with photographs of smiling African-American faces -- which he readily admits he just lifted off websites -- and captioned with the words "Please vote for our friend and neighbor Dave Wilson."
One of his mailers said he was "Endorsed by Ron Wilson," which longtime Houston voters might easily interpret as a statement of support from a former state representative of the same name who's also African-American. Fine print beneath the headline says "Ron Wilson and Dave Wilson are cousins," a reference to one of Wilson's relatives living in Iowa.

Than lying about a politician? Trust me, Luddly, this is not even close to your lowest point.

Brilliant. Hard to believe anyone has a problem with this except for the racist ignoramuses who voted for him.

Is that any different from Obama pretending to care about us to get himself elected?

Dudley seems to miss the finer point - he was voted in because the voters thought he was black.
Only dudley would hold the lone white guy guilty - without considering the 10,000's of black people that voted for him. :lol::lol:

A. This is seriously fucking funny.

B. Alleged deception aside, it certainly says something about the other candidate that he couldn't hold onto the seat as a 24yr incumbent once the electorate believed they had another 'black' alternative.

A. This is seriously fucking funny.

B. Alleged deception aside, it certainly says something about the other candidate that he couldn't hold onto the seat as a 24yr incumbent once the electorate believed they had another 'black' alternative.

Doesn't it say more about the constituents then anyone else?

I mean apparently they'll pull the lever for any random black man.

You can't blame the right for this; WE get the government we deserve. I applaud him for highlighting this fact.

Did you miss the part about this guy being a republican?

Did you miss that it's a Democrat district?

I did not.

But if you want to tell yourself that democrats own a monopoly on low-information voters then be my guest. It's not the first time you've been full of shit and probably won't be the last.
He got elected because black democrats voted for him. he got elected even after the incumbent told his constituents he was white.

Did you miss that it's a Democrat district?

I did not.

But if you want to tell yourself that democrats own a monopoly on low-information voters then be my guest. It's not the first time you've been full of shit and probably won't be the last.
He got elected because black democrats voted for him. he got elected even after the incumbent told his constituents he was white.

So you're challenging the entire premise of the OP that the people were tricked into voting for a white guy they believed was black?

Forum List

Back