Pressure Mounting on the Romneys to Release More Tax Records

The idea that the candidates get to decide what you're allowed to know basically died about 20 years ago (if not sooner).

The Romney campaign’s gross mishandling of this issue will contribute to his defeat this November. If Romney the candidate can’t address something as straightforward as his own tax returns, there’s no way he can handle infinitely more complex and difficult issues as president.

It's the Clinton scandal all over again really. First he brushed it off; they wouldn't make comments then they started making comments then boom, he has to come clean on national TV. He did it in the White House so there was no real "If he had admitted it sooner" moment for him but with the Governor; had he come out with them sooner; non-issue. Nobody would be looking at them. And likely they would be a source of humor for himself to do the impossible; try to endear himself to the public...his wealth could have been spun to relate to middle income voters and, besides, theres nothing to be ashamed of if you're wealthy anyway. He said so himself. Which really makes one wonder what is in the records that he IS ashamed of.

The fact that Romney wants lower taxes for ALL americans that actually pay taxes contradicts your holier than thou argument.
Obamacare is now law indeed, but i missed the negotiations on C-Span and have been hoping to catch it on a re-run. I haven't caught it yet, but it surely had to happen because the President and all his moral authority promised it at least 20 times.

Actually no it does not but thanks for playing our game. There are some nice parting gifts for you.

If the Governor wants to pay less than 13%, that's unfortunate for his Presidential Aspirations. You do speak the truth though.

If he wanted to raise taxes on Adelson and the Koch Brothes, do you really think they'd be cutting enormous checks to his campaign and supporting his bid?

He does want to cut taxes on people like himself. So when he wants to raise taxes on people far removed from his circumstance, the Governor loses credibility. Which is why Obama is winning and will win the contest.

Who made you and Obama the moral authority on anything again? This nonsense is just a distraction from Obama's own record and just because people like you and the liberal media follow it does not mean the rest of America is. When is C-Span showing the health care re-runs again? :eusa_whistle:

Aside from you nobody is saying he is. The same with the "messiah" BS; typical GOP moronic tendencies showing through.

I love Lawrence O'Donnell. He does not let Romney get away with anything. This from his Thursday show:

ROMNEY: You know, I just have to say, given the challenges that
American faces, 23 million people out of work, Iran about to become
nuclear, one out of six Americans in poverty, the fascination with taxes I
paid I find to be very small-minded compared to the broad issues we faced.

But I did go back and look at my taxes and over the past 10 years, I
never paid less than 13 percent. I think the most recent year is 13.6
percent or something like that.

So, I paid taxes every single year. Harry Reid`s charge is totally
false. I`m sure waiting for Harry to put up who it was that told him what
he says they told him. I don`t believe it for a minute by the way.

But every year, I paid at least 13 percent. And if you add, in
addition, the amount that goes to charity, the number gets well above 20
percent.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

O`DONNELL: No, no, no, Mitt, you don`t get to add the amount you give
to charity to the amount you pay in taxes when answering the question how
much do you pay in income taxes. None of us get to do that. In fact, the
amount we give to charity reduces how much we pay in income taxes.

Now, if the Romneys are intent on never releasing their tax returns as
Mrs. Romney angrily demonstrated here last night, then it is a big
strategic mistake to give any answers to questions about what is in those
tax returns.

And, Mitt, if you`re going to stone wall, you`ve got to stone wall.
You can`t open the door just a little bit and say I`ve never paid less than
13 percent, because that`s going to make more questions come out about the
details in your secret tax returns. You don`t have to go all the way back
to Nixon to learn how to stone wall with the press when you have something
big to hide like your tax returns. Just request the angry Mrs. Romney how to do it.

:D

Thursday, August 16 - msnbc - NBCNews.com

Ohhhh...secret tax returns! OMG! The guy is funny, he also released 2010 and 2011, so Larry is lying.

Let the democrats make it up. They'll do it anyway.

They are just desperate to get the attention away from medicare which is an issue that they thought they owned.

I love Lawrence O'Donnell. He does not let Romney get away with anything. This from his Thursday show:

ROMNEY: You know, I just have to say, given the challenges that
American faces, 23 million people out of work, Iran about to become
nuclear, one out of six Americans in poverty, the fascination with taxes I
paid I find to be very small-minded compared to the broad issues we faced.

But I did go back and look at my taxes and over the past 10 years, I
never paid less than 13 percent. I think the most recent year is 13.6
percent or something like that.

So, I paid taxes every single year. Harry Reid`s charge is totally
false. I`m sure waiting for Harry to put up who it was that told him what
he says they told him. I don`t believe it for a minute by the way.

But every year, I paid at least 13 percent. And if you add, in
addition, the amount that goes to charity, the number gets well above 20
percent.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

O`DONNELL: No, no, no, Mitt, you don`t get to add the amount you give
to charity to the amount you pay in taxes when answering the question how
much do you pay in income taxes. None of us get to do that. In fact, the
amount we give to charity reduces how much we pay in income taxes.

Now, if the Romneys are intent on never releasing their tax returns as
Mrs. Romney angrily demonstrated here last night, then it is a big
strategic mistake to give any answers to questions about what is in those
tax returns.

And, Mitt, if you`re going to stone wall, you`ve got to stone wall.
You can`t open the door just a little bit and say I`ve never paid less than
13 percent, because that`s going to make more questions come out about the
details in your secret tax returns. You don`t have to go all the way back
to Nixon to learn how to stone wall with the press when you have something
big to hide like your tax returns. Just request the angry Mrs. Romney how to do it.

:D

Thursday, August 16 - msnbc - NBCNews.com

Ohhhh...secret tax returns! OMG! The guy is funny, he also released 2010 and 2011, so Larry is lying.

O'Donnell is right about one thing; by opening the door just a little, he's set off the chain of events that will ultimately result in his divulging all. It's the first crack in the dam.

I bet the only question Mitt asked potential running mates was, "do you agree to only release two years of tax returns?"

Via NBC News: Ann Romney Says No More Tax Returns.

She says her husband will not be putting out any additional tax returns: "We have been very transparent to what's legally required of us. There's going to be no more tax releases given."

She then added that if they release any more information, "it will only give them more ammunition" while adding "there's nothing we're hiding."

Interesting confluence of phrases.

And a guarantee that this story isn't going to be going away any time soon.

Sidebar to that: I can't find my cite now, but I read that Ryan is also only going ot give out two yeras of his returns....although he gave Mitts' team about a decade's worth for vetting purposes.

Yeah, that's going to play well....

Via NBC News: Ann Romney Says No More Tax Returns.

She says her husband will not be putting out any additional tax returns: "We have been very transparent to what's legally required of us. There's going to be no more tax releases given."

She then added that if they release any more information, "it will only give them more ammunition" while adding "there's nothing we're hiding."

Interesting confluence of phrases.

And a guarantee that this story isn't going to be going away any time soon.

Sidebar to that: I can't find my cite now, but I read that Ryan is also only going ot give out two yeras of his returns....although he gave Mitts' team about a decade's worth for vetting purposes.

Yeah, that's going to play well....

Very true.

You people have no problems with Obama NOT RELEASING his records, so your whine about how Romney is being SECRETIVE is all smoke up our asses

He released his tax returns, just because Obama whines that's not enough, tough shit

Don't forget folks, Obama did this same thing to Hillary

I wish Obama would release his records so everyone would STFU! However, his college records are not as pertinent to his being president as tax returns are--especially if you are talking about eliminating tax loopholes, etc. as Romney is. That is what makes his returns pertinent. I want to see what loopholes if any, he used and ask him if he would eliminate those he took advantage of. He is being evasive and I think that would be a possiblity if he is president also.

I already know of many of the loopholes, but it don't hurt any to know about more. What I would like to see is where he is hiding is oodles of money to avoid US taxes. Keep in mind Ryan's budget plan, which at first romney said wasn't like his plan, but then changed his mind(?lol) a couple of times from it is - no it's not......would lower his taxes to less than 1%.

Does anyone here view that crook as a patriot let alone an American? I damn sure don't. imo He's just another snake oil salesman.

The idea that the candidates get to decide what you're allowed to know basically died about 20 years ago (if not sooner).

The Romney campaign’s gross mishandling of this issue will contribute to his defeat this November. If Romney the candidate can’t address something as straightforward as his own tax returns, there’s no way he can handle infinitely more complex and difficult issues as president.

I find it real funny he gets that deer in the headlights look when asked about his returns, then is vague in what he paid....or didn't in this case.:clap2: I "think" I paid "around" 13%....snicker........snicker.

Really people, Obama did this same thing to HILLARY

Is this the kind of crap you want running our country?

You people have no problems with Obama NOT RELEASING his records, so your whine about how Romney is being SECRETIVE is all smoke up our asses

He released his tax returns, just because Obama whines that's not enough, tough shit

Don't forget folks, Obama did this same thing to Hillary

I wish Obama would release his records so everyone would STFU! However, his college records are not as pertinent to his being president as tax returns are--especially if you are talking about eliminating tax loopholes, etc. as Romney is. That is what makes his returns pertinent. I want to see what loopholes if any, he used and ask him if he would eliminate those he took advantage of. He is being evasive and I think that would be a possiblity if he is president also.

Taking advantage of tax breaks and deductions is not wrong. We know that many take advantage of all they can. The last person to end a lot of deductions was Reagan, since then, we have added deductions and credits.

I don't think showing anymore than two years of taxes is relevant to your question, those would be the most pertinent to your question, why would you need more?

But "HOW" those loopholes were put there DOES MATTER. Did the poor put them there or did the 1% MINORITY?

Rather have a poor guy who became pres than ANOTHER born with silver spoon in thy mouth fuck nut.

Last edited:
One has to have a starting point to compare records. You aren't really that stupid are ya? It's already been deduced that he has some in teh Cayman's and some in Suisse, lets where else - oh yah.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back