Prayer as a Mormon

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
And now, my beloved brethren, if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray. 2 Nephi 32:8

And now, my beloved brethren, if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray. 2 Nephi 32:8
I've got a good buddy who is LDS and my next door neighbors are LDS. Good people. Everyone of them. Better than I can ever hope to be. I may not agree with their theology but I can't disagree with their results.

Do you listen to evil spirits, or to any evil? I know good atheists. Atheists do not pray, so wouldn't it be a waste of time for anyone--spirit or not--"teaching" an atheist he must not pray? Wouldn't it be more like an evil spirit to lie to people of faith, claiming the reason atheists don't pray is because an evil spirit taught them not to pray? (Remember, as a rule, atheists don't believe in evil spirits either.) Focus on God, not distractions. Every single thing we hear we can measure, "Is this love of God? Is this love of others?" If either answer is no, the premise may be dismissed.

To be clear, my previous post (#3) should in no way be interpreted as slap at Mormons and/or their holy book. I do not know the context of 2 Nephi 32:8, so I am only speaking of what I do know. For all I know, Nephi's intent was to encourage prayer through dark or irresolute times--something I would do myself.

Do you listen to evil spirits, or to any evil? I know good atheists. Atheists do not pray, so wouldn't it be a waste of time for anyone--spirit or not--"teaching" an atheist he must not pray? Wouldn't it be more like an evil spirit to lie to people of faith, claiming the reason atheists don't pray is because an evil spirit taught them not to pray? (Remember, as a rule, atheists don't believe in evil spirits either.) Focus on God, not distractions. Every single thing we hear we can measure, "Is this love of God? Is this love of others?" If either answer is no, the premise may be dismissed.

Nephi was an Israelite living about 600 years before Christ. He is addressing a bunch of Israelites in this verse in a rather lengthy rant about how terrible they are. He wasn’t necessarily talking by to atheists. He was addressing Jews that do not bother to pray but that wasn’t really his primary focus. About 3/4ths of the book of 2 Nephi is a series of long winded rants.

That was just a verse that caught my eye. Even when I was a believer, praying was not a strength of mine.

That was just a verse that caught my eye. Even when I was a believer, praying was not a strength of mine.
Which kind of prayer: verbal, meditative, contemplative? Were you stronger in one form of prayer than another?

If I trusted God in everything, I was willing to obey God in everything, then it made no sense to tell God what to do. As a believer it seemed that prayer was used to order God around which was confusing because I was also being taught that God was in charge of my life.

Which kind of prayer: verbal, meditative, contemplative? Were you stronger in one form of prayer than another?

None of the above. I could say a public prayer that would make a grown man cry. I never thought public prayer was even a Christian practice. I still don’t. Jesus actually addresses it specifically. I think Christ uses the word idolater, pagan, or heathen when describing this practice. He may use all three words. I never seen the need in talking to God if He was taking care of everything without my feedback.

I've got a good buddy who is LDS and my next door neighbors are LDS. Good people. Everyone of them. Better than I can ever hope to be. I may not agree with their theology but I can't disagree with their results.
I must agree. Good folks.LSD is more fun than lDS. Their survival prep documentation id second to none.Look it up. It's fantastic

If I trusted God in everything, I was willing to obey God in everything, then it made no sense to tell God what to do. As a believer it seemed that prayer was used to order God around which was confusing because I was also being taught that God was in charge of my life.
Prayer is more about asking what God wants of us than what we want from God. I tend to favor Contemplative prayer (clearing the mind and letting God take over whatever needs to be done) than verbal prayer. However, there is nothing like putting things into words to help organize one's own thoughts...and then...quietly listening, even if it is to one's own thoughts returning.

I must agree. Good folks.LSD is more fun than lDS. Their survival prep documentation is second to none.Look it up. It's fantastic
I'll give you a ittle head start

I was also being taught that God was in charge of my life.
Reminds me of a time I was desperately trying to discover if God's plan for my life was this or that. The response (from my thoughts or the Holy Spirit, your choice) is that when one cannot clearly discern a direction from God this is every indication it is one's own choice and God will be with us if we choose this, and He will be just as enthusiastically with us if we choose that.

None of the above. I could say a public prayer that would make a grown man cry. I never thought public prayer was even a Christian practice. I still don’t. Jesus actually addresses it specifically. I think Christ uses the word idolater, pagan, or heathen when describing this practice. He may use all three words. I never seen the need in talking to God if He was taking care of everything without my feedback.
Keep in mind Jesus prayed both in public and privately. Plus, I believe God is more interested in your feedback than giving His.

Keep in mind Jesus prayed both in public and privately. Plus, I believe God is more interested in your feedback than giving His.

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Matthew 5:5-8

My parents converted to LDS and did their best to get me to do the same. I did read the Book Of Mormon and was not all that impressed with it. However I have met a number of Mormons and I agree that like you I found all I met to be extremely nice people.

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Keep in mind what Jesus was addressing. He was not addressing crowds who pray together. He was addressing those individuals who prayed their private prayers in public to get attention for themselves.

Keep in mind what Jesus was addressing. He was not addressing crowds who pray together. He was addressing those individuals who prayed their private prayers in public to get attention for themselves.

Fair enough. I argue that this type of public showing is common place today. For example: I’m an elected official and we have a Pastor come and pray before every one of our meetings. I believe this to be a protestant behavior but an anti-Christian behavior.

Fair enough. I argue that this type of public showing is common place today. For example: I’m an elected official and we have a Pastor come and pray before every one of our meetings. I believe this to be a protestant behavior but an anti-Christian behavior.
Speaking as a citizen, I appreciate government boards asking for a prayer before meetings simply because they are acknowledging there is something above government (it can be called God given rights or natural born rights) and that government honors this. I would also be fine with anyone of any faith showing up for prayer before the scheduled meeting if the Board elected not to begin the meeting with a prayer.

Speaking as a citizen, I appreciate government boards asking for a prayer before meetings simply because they are acknowledging there is something above government (it can be called God given rights or natural born rights) and that government honors this. I would also be fine with anyone of any faith showing up for prayer before the scheduled meeting if the Board elected not to begin the meeting with a prayer.

The citizens of Pensacola Florida would disagree with you.

Forum List

Back