Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

I'd say legally yes but politically, probably not. Personally I'd prefer my politicians to moral.
Probably due to social media, this has caused a change in society where now the sentence/punishment laid down by law just seems to be enough for many. They wanting people sacked and fined again, OBE's and peerages removed. They want awards removed etc..

These people just go on and on and on and on and on.......to get their way that has nothing to do with the law.

I'd say legally yes but politically, probably not. Personally I'd prefer my politicians to moral.
As long as their idea of what's moral lines up with your idea of whats moral, right?

Which is why I'd prefer that they protect the sovereign interest of our nation despite what is perceived as being moral.

The end justifies the means? Hitler shared that morality.
The end justifies the means is for people who need to justify they didn't do wrong. The act of justification is how they gradually move away from is good and just.
I thought you were the moral absolutist? One set of morals for everyone.
I'm not sure I'd describe myself as a moral absolutist. I'm not even sure what that means. I'm complex.

One set of morals for everyone? Whose morals would that be?

Apparently at current technology, I will show you a picture of how many solar panels it would take to power the U.S. That is both day and night. (With the stored energy for nighttime) The square in yellow shows the total amount of area in solar panels it would take to do it. Argue with that you naysayers.

View attachment 538042
So what happens if we have a major volcano eruption and another “year without a summer.”

In the summer of 1816, the Northern Hemisphere was plagued by a weather disruption of seemingly biblical proportions. Following a relatively ordinary early spring, temperatures in the eastern United States plunged back below freezing, and communities from New England to Virginia experienced heavy snowfalls and crop-killing frost during June, July and August. Europe also found itself in the grip of an unseasonable chill. Winter snows refused to melt, and between April and September, some parts of the Continent were drenched by as many as many as 130 days of rain. The unrelenting gloom inspired author Mary Shelley to write her famous novel “Frankenstein,” but it also wreaked havoc on farmers. Crops failed across Europe and China, spawning deadly famines and outbreaks of typhus and other diseases. In India, the disturbances gave rise to a virulent new strain of cholera that eventually killed millions. The suffering in the United States was less pronounced, but many still felt the squeeze of soaring grain prices. Some poorer Americans were even reduced to eating hedgehogs and scrounging for wild turnips.

What caused this calamitous “Year Without a Summer?” At the time, many people believed the chaos was some form of divine retribution, but most scientists now place the lion’s share of the blame on an Indonesian volcano called Mount Tambora. In early 1815, Tambora roared to life with one of the most devastating volcanic eruptions on record—an explosion 10 times more powerful than Krakatoa. Along with killing thousands of locals, the blast also spewed sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere. The ash cloud drifted across the globe in the months that followed, blotting out the sun and creating a volcanic winter. When combined with the lingering effects of the Little Ice Age—a period of global cooling that lasted from the 14th to 19th centuries—the sun-sapping pall was enough to lower the planet’s average temperature and send weather patterns into a tailspin.

The end justifies the means is for people who need to justify they didn't do wrong. The act of justification is how they gradually move away from is good and just.
That seems to contradict your previous statement, "Which is why I'd prefer that they protect the sovereign interest of our nation despite what is perceived as being moral".

I'm not sure I'd describe myself as a moral absolutist. I'm not even sure what that means. I'm complex.

One set of morals for everyone? Whose morals would that be?
Did I confuse you with a believer in God?

So what happens if we have a major volcano eruption and another “year without a summer.”

In the summer of 1816, the Northern Hemisphere was plagued by a weather disruption of seemingly biblical proportions. Following a relatively ordinary early spring, temperatures in the eastern United States plunged back below freezing, and communities from New England to Virginia experienced heavy snowfalls and crop-killing frost during June, July and August. Europe also found itself in the grip of an unseasonable chill. Winter snows refused to melt, and between April and September, some parts of the Continent were drenched by as many as many as 130 days of rain. The unrelenting gloom inspired author Mary Shelley to write her famous novel “Frankenstein,” but it also wreaked havoc on farmers. Crops failed across Europe and China, spawning deadly famines and outbreaks of typhus and other diseases. In India, the disturbances gave rise to a virulent new strain of cholera that eventually killed millions. The suffering in the United States was less pronounced, but many still felt the squeeze of soaring grain prices. Some poorer Americans were even reduced to eating hedgehogs and scrounging for wild turnips.

What caused this calamitous “Year Without a Summer?” At the time, many people believed the chaos was some form of divine retribution, but most scientists now place the lion’s share of the blame on an Indonesian volcano called Mount Tambora. In early 1815, Tambora roared to life with one of the most devastating volcanic eruptions on record—an explosion 10 times more powerful than Krakatoa. Along with killing thousands of locals, the blast also spewed sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere. The ash cloud drifted across the globe in the months that followed, blotting out the sun and creating a volcanic winter. When combined with the lingering effects of the Little Ice Age—a period of global cooling that lasted from the 14th to 19th centuries—the sun-sapping pall was enough to lower the planet’s average temperature and send weather patterns into a tailspin.
Evident just how delicate our ecosystem really is Batcat

~S~

That seems to contradict your previous statement, "Which is why I'd prefer that they protect the sovereign interest of our nation despite what is perceived as being moral".
How so? I am arguing one shouldn't justify his actions as good and just when they aren't because that's how people (and nations) move away from being good and just.

Sometimes protecting the sovereign interest of a nation doesn't line up with being moral. In those instances it's better not to rationalize they do. Rationalizing that wrong wasn't done (i.e. failing to be accountable) is the original sin.

Did I confuse you with a believer in God?
No. Your understanding of me and your understanding of these concepts is blinded by your bias. It's complicated and complex enough without the baggage of bias. In short, even though I believe in absolute truth and absolute right and wrong - which BTW does not make me a moral absolutist - it doesn't mean I always follow it. But I will have a much better chance of following it the next time, if I don't rationalize that I did when I don't.

How so? I am arguing one shouldn't justify his actions as good and just when they aren't because that's how people (and nations) move away from being good and just.
My bad, I just assumed that people (and nations) moving away from being good and just was not a desirable goal.

Sometimes protecting the sovereign interest of a nation doesn't line up with being moral. In those instances it's better not to rationalize they do. Rationalizing that wrong wasn't done (i.e. failing to be accountable) is the original sin.
So protecting the sovereign interest of a nation by immoral actions is acceptable to you? Putin would agree.

No. Your understanding of me and your understanding of these concepts is blinded by your bias. It's complicated and complex enough without the baggage of bias. In short, even though I believe in absolute truth and absolute right and wrong - which BTW does not make me a moral absolutist - it doesn't mean I always follow it. But I will have a much better chance of following it the next time, if I don't rationalize that I did when I don't.
If you believe in absolute truth and absolute right and wrong your are by definition a moral absolutist, IMHO. But fear not, I never thought of you as having God-like perfection.

Forum List

Back