Post-Apocalyptic Survival - Alternative Tactics

One more problem with being a nomadic group of marauders is the weather. If you are in the southwest you will probably do ok.

But with 6 feet of snow on the ground, like up north, you would be paralyzed. In the south we often get rain every day for weeks. Couple that with a large population of rednecks, and you have a disaster for mobile marauders.

I think the marauder idea would work at first. But then, there will be millions of people starving and on the move.

After the first year, those who hunkered down will be prepared and on guard. And there are so many issues to deal with that are not done well while on the move.

1) Purifying water
2) Balanced diet to avoid health issues
3) Medical care, especially for accidents and wounds. A broken leg is a death sentence.
4) Security - you are depending on being the best armed mobile unit. There is always a bigger bear.
5) Avoiding contagious diseases. You travel through areas full of starving people with compromised immune systems. Flu season becomes the plague.

People are weak. They care about stupid shit today. They will be doomed in the apocalypse. Nobody is going to respect their stupid fucking pronouns or give them a "safe space" in which to be themselves. They will be tactically impotent and easy to overrun.
I like this point. It hasn't been dealt with in the post-apoc fiction to my knowledge, yet. Too new, these perversions. One of these girlie-men will prance up to someone with supplies and demand their share, introducing themselves with the pronouns "zer, ze, and zim," and with a look of horror, the traveller will off the weirdo.

Another thing I think about is butchering animals: I happen to be skilled at it, all kinds of poultry and rabbits, at least. Dozens and hundreds. Very nummy, especially with gravy. But so many women say, "OOOoo, I could never do THAT." I think that wouldn't last a lot longer than the first missed meal or two if the woman is smart (or that long if she has children!). But sometimes I wonder --- the demand that meat be cellophane wrapped from the supermarket, or vegetarian options be available, could be the reason for a lot of die-off.

I like this point. It hasn't been dealt with in the post-apoc fiction to my knowledge, yet. Too new, these perversions. One of these girlie-men will prance up to someone with supplies and demand their share, introducing themselves with the pronouns "zer, ze, and zim," and with a look of horror, the traveller will off the weirdo.

Another thing I think about is butchering animals: I happen to be skilled at it, all kinds of poultry and rabbits, at least. Dozens and hundreds. Very nummy, especially with gravy. But so many women say, "OOOoo, I could never do THAT." I think that wouldn't last a lot longer than the first missed meal or two if the woman is smart (or that long if she has children!). But sometimes I wonder --- the demand that meat be cellophane wrapped from the supermarket, or vegetarian options be available, could be the reason for a lot of die-off.

Great point.

Are you the poster here who gave me that very useful tip, which I had never heard until then, about carefully disemboweling the rabbit to avoid contaminating the meat?

I have not done so, but I look forward to doing some butchering. I have videos awaiting my perusal of how to dress and butcher just about everything. I need to start studying, I guess.

My problem is that I might get distracted by my urge to "autopsy" the poor critter. Anatomy is fun!

Most would starve..just because our cities are not self-sufficient and are totally dependent on our supply chains. The old and the young will die first. Disease will account for many.
The cities would explode into the rural areas--akin to a horde of locusts and just as welcome. We'll eat our pets.

Time of year is important--early Spring--time to get a crop in--otherwise have to survive the Winter. Small communities that can pull together will make it. Roving bands of marauders..or refugees...will be seen as threats and dealt with accordingly.
After the great die-off..say two years or so--those left can get on with recreating the conditions that led to their downfall...again.

Same as it ever was~

Great point.

Are you the poster here who gave me that very useful tip, which I had never heard until then, about carefully disemboweling the rabbit to avoid contaminating the meat?

I have not done so, but I look forward to doing some butchering. I have videos awaiting my perusal of how to dress and butcher just about everything. I need to start studying, I guess.

My problem is that I might get distracted by my urge to "autopsy" the poor critter. Anatomy is fun!

No, that wasn't me, but yeah, doesn't hurt!

Ducks. Home-raised ducks are so incredibly much better than store ones. I think it's the lesser fat on the home-raised ones, not so greasy, crisp brown skin when baked.

Most would starve..just because our cities are not self-sufficient and are totally dependent on our supply chains. The old and the young will die first. Disease will account for many.
The cities would explode into the rural areas--akin to a horde of locusts and just as welcome. We'll eat our pets.

Time of year is important--early Spring--time to get a crop in--otherwise have to survive the Winter. Small communities that can pull together will make it. Roving bands of marauders..or refugees...will be seen as threats and dealt with accordingly.
After the great die-off..say two years or so--those left can get on with recreating the conditions that led to their downfall...again.

Same as it ever was~
Yeah, like the novel, A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Yeah, like the novel, A Canticle for Leibowitz.
You'd like this, I think:

Anathem.png

My dad used to tell me that I had to learn to kill and clean animals and fish because I “might need to know how to do it one day in order to survive.” So I learned. I rarely hunt anymore but I can gut, skin, and butcher an animal. How many skinny leg jeans wearing betas do you think can say the same? Not too many.

My dad used to tell me that I had to learn to kill and clean animals and fish because I “might need to know how to do it one day in order to survive.” So I learned. I rarely hunt anymore but I can gut, skin, and butcher an animal. How many skinny leg jeans wearing betas do you think can say the same? Not too many.
That's the thing, agreed. Don't have to do it forever if you don't want, but survival skills --- a good thing. It's a mind thing, too. One learns a lot. Besides, I was hatching poultry --- all kinds. It worked.

Everyone in this thread should read Ferfal Aguirre's book "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse."

The cliffs notes...live in a medium sized town or very small city.

Surprised me. I had already purchased 20 acres.

But this is a guy who lived though an economic collapse in Argentina.

None of us have any idea how an apocalypse would go.

Any plans that we have now would probably go out the window with the realities.

Having a supply of firearms and ammo will not guarantee you anything. Whatever caused the apocalypse may make you one of the first causalities. The fat guy with the PSA budget build may zap your ass and you never saw it coming.

I suspect being a "marauder" may sound cool but would be a very high risk profession.

Game in the US came very close to being depleted during the Depression with 200 million fewer people living in the US than now. Don't expect game to last very long.

Forum List

Back