Possible Causes and Solutions to the California Drought

Nation s largest ocean desalination plant goes up near San Diego Future of the California coast - San Jose Mercury News
This has always been a pipe dream but I hope and expect that technology if not necessity will make it commonplace in the next twenty years. A bigger question might be why can't they use recycled water in a big way for AG?
That plant unfortunately uses reverse osmosis which as I understand is energetically expensive. And the points you just made make me suspect it is another pre-emptive slap at desalination (proxy for a slap at solar thermal alternative to reverse osmosis) because this project will prove out to be "too expensive to justify"...

...just like the shadow-backers of the failed Solyndra project designed it to fail on purpose...

...there is so much wile and craft and BS going on with big money monopolies that have looked into the future an seen all sorts of applications for solar thermal energy (a different way to de-salt ocean water at a fraction of the cost) that this San Diego project smells fishy.
RED FLAG and case in point from the article:

Will California -- like Israel, Saudi Arabia and other arid coastal regions of the world -- finally turn to the ocean to quench its thirst? Or will the project finally prove that drinking Pacific seawater is too pricey, too environmentally harmful and too impractical for the Golden State? "Everybody is watching Carlsbad to see what's going to happen," said Peter MacLaggan, vice president of Poseidon Water, the Boston firm building the plant. Nation s largest ocean desalination plant goes up near San Diego Future of the California coast - San Jose Mercury News
And the minute the numbers are out, you will see Big Energy screaming from the mountaintops how this is not a cost effective way to de-salt water...how it won't work for California.
But solar thermal will work. :eusa_whistle:

Just one idea that isn't energetically expensive reverse osmosis..

SOLAR THERMAL DESALINATION USING THE MULTIPLE EFFECT HUMIDIFICATION (MEH)-METHOD Solar driven desalination systems based on evaporation of sea water and subsequent condensation of the generated steam have been investigated worldwide for many years. Starting from simple but sophisticated solar stills working very reliably and self sufficient on small scale drinking water production in the range up to 0.5 m per day, improved concepts have been realized mainly at a research level up to now.

The main tasks in term of efficiency of such concepts were the reduction of specific energy consumption and by that requested solar aperture area per cubic meter of water produced daily. One of the concepts is the Multiple Effect Humidification (MEH) method. The enclosure comprising heat and mass transfer is separated from the solar collectors for heat supply of the process. Evaporation and condensation surfaces are oriented to enable continuous temperature stratification along the heat and mass transfer process, resulting in small temperature gap to keep the process running.

Most of the energy afforded in the evaporator is regained in the condenser keeping the energy demand on a very low level of less than 120 kWh/m. Such systems have been available as an industrial product since November 2005. A demonstration system was installed and commissioned in Jeddah/Kingdom of Saudi-Arabia. SOLAR THERMAL DESALINATION Concentrating Solar Power Compact Linear Fresnel Reflector Linear Fresnel Systems

No mystery to it. The cause is 10 million illegal alien squatters in the state and the solution is to make them leave by going after the companies that hire them and by ending their govt benefits such as welfare and free school and free health care

They'll then leave on their own.
Don't worry...about 80% of the water in CA is used in agriculture. Once there's no food to pick, the illegals will leave.

Here's hoping that y'all get major precip this year. I definitely know what its like here in south texas. These droughts are horrible.

The solution is simply and well tested.............Not cheap though..................but after all this is a liberal State and making possible common sense solutions on certain items can be a problem for the leaders there..............

You wouldn't need to pump water to the lake, you could produce water from the sea to sell to large populations so they would no longer need to drain the natural resources..............

But I guess a High Speed Rail is more important than water..............or a park is more important than water.............

What drives the priorities of these politicians running the show.

Money is what drives the politicians.. Moonbeam is paid a fortune to support high speed rail.

CA has around 3 million illegal kids in its schools. At $15,000 per kid per year that's $45 billion right there spent on people that aren't even allowed to be here.!!! That would build a lot of desalt plants.

Town where I used to live got "municipal" water from wells. The town grew in recent years but no new wells were drilled due to environmental restrictions. So they just sucked harder. Ever suck on a soda straw until the water (pop, wine, whatever) is almost gone....know that sound? Yup. They heard it.

Not to worry! Nearby tidal river with brackish water. Easy desalinization, especially with state and federal money.

It works very well.

But only for now - they're on notice that they need to prepare for reduced availability of electric power.

One nearby power plant has closed due to protests over the use of coal. Another, one of the biggest in the region, has announced it closes in 2017.

Guess who's looking for alternatives to desalinization? The same folks who have outlawed windmills because of their "visual pollution". The same folks who zoned everything residential so covering acres with solar voltaic cells is not allowed.

Please join me in......

Wishing them well?

Laughing my ass off at them?

Guess which......

While the sun beats down upon their dashboards warming their beer in their metal cans faster than they want, they wonder wonder wonder how they can heat water to run turbines and produce power and to distill seawater into fresh...

...it's the damndest thing..

Guess who's looking for alternatives to desalinization? The same folks who have outlawed windmills because of their "visual pollution". The same folks who zoned everything residential so covering acres with solar voltaic cells is not allowed.

Screw solar power. Price of oil has crashed and no need for anything else.

Screw solar power. Price of oil has crashed and no need for anything else.
Really? Wanna destroy the arab terrorists? Stockpile oil, use solar thermal, and starve them out..

Were you aware that this thread is about the drought in California and possible solutions?

Sigh. Droughts in California are a historical fact. Soon after the arrival of the Spanish in 1769, they suffered a couple of severe drought cycles.

Now it's worse due to all the liberal Easterners who moved there and destroyed everything! :rolleyes:

Sigh. Droughts in California are a historical fact. Soon after the arrival of the Spanish in 1769, they suffered a couple of severe drought cycles.

Now it's worse due to all the liberal Easterners who moved there and destroyed everything! :rolleyes:
Yes, California has cyclic droughts. Made worse by the points I've made in the OP IMHO.

Actually, I keep waiting for a hydrologist to step up to this thread and hand me my ass. So far, nobody has. So maybe I'm onto something here?

A twistedly-funny thought just occurred to me: Los Angeles is destroying the United States! Why does that come as no shock to me? :lmao: That's where Hollywood is also..
I'm curious. How many billions of dollars does Hollywood bring into the country? More than many Red States?

Republicans don't believe there is a drought. Anymore than they do excessive snow is an example of climate change.

Forum List

Back