Possible Causes and Solutions to the California Drought

You might be right. In the Mid-West, the key is the Oglala aquifer, and managing it's water resources in times of low water. If they can manage that water smartly, they will be all right. I don't think they need to worry though. They'll get by. They always have.

You might be right. In the Mid-West, the key is the Oglala aquifer, and managing it's water resources in times of low water. If they can manage that water smartly, they will be all right. I don't think they need to worry though. They'll get by. They always have.
Part of managing the rainfall in the Midwest, making sure it isn't too much and not "just enough" for crops would be addressing the drying Owen's Lake bed just east of the Sierras. Check out my diagram in the OP to see why CA is getting too little rain and the Midwest gets flooding on an increasing gradient over time.

That moisture laden Pacific air is jetting right on past the Sierra uplift and scooting up over the Rockies. It's condensing there instead. It seems that in previous centuries that air used to be stalled out on its way to the Rockies at the Sierras briefly enough to shed some of its moisure there before it made its way up and over the Rockies to shed the rest of it in the Midwest.

The evaporation from the erstwhile moist & lake-rich (now growing into an arid desert) Eastern Sierra high plateau foothill region used to keep that Pacific air moderated and moving slower. That's my theory. CA should be repairing that "plug" to too-rapid eastern movement of Pacific air & hold onto some of it there instead of letting it ALL go and dump on the Midwest and destroy their agriculture too..

Well you two might want to take note that the problem in Cali isn't just Cali's problem. You eat produce I assume? Also, if my theory is correct, their Eastern Sierra dryness is sending too much moisture over to flood the Midwest intermittently.

Well you two might want to take note that the problem in Cali isn't just Cali's problem. You eat produce I assume? Also, if my theory is correct, their Eastern Sierra dryness is sending too much moisture over to flood the Midwest intermittently.

Just trying to bring a little humor to a serious thread,

Just trying to bring a little humor to a serious thread,
How about some ideas too? Seems the more brains thinking on the problem, the more likely the solution. Though I do like them flipping the bird to reverse-osmosis' "engineered to consume oil" solution and jumping straight into linear solar thermal to simply distill (duh) sea water instead of trying to force it through filters at 900psi.

With all that sunshine I'll bet those idiots who bought into the reverse-osmosis enterprise are kicking themselves now. How utterly embarassing that they forgot to think about Kentucky moonshiners already having the solution...only the "heat" comes from concentrated sunlight.

Forum List

Back