Positive News Challenge

He wanted to share his Thanksgiving dessert with deputies, so he called 911

15219547_10153882165171493_843768687063920347_n

“I wanted them to have cheesecake with us,” Billy said, explaining why he invited the deputies for dinner. “It’s my favorite, so I wanted them to have some, too.”

There is more than enough negativity in the news, both local & national and even here on USMB to drown an elephant herd and then some. The effects of negativity on the psyche is well known throughout history and it's not good. Our thought processes are influenced by exposures to environment and create habits and behaviors that are reflective of those influences. With such constant bombardment of negativity, there is little wonder to how we've become such an insensitive & violent nation.
With this in mind, I am challenging any and all USMB members to post only positive news, stories, comments, meme's, etc in this thread in order to bring some kind of balance from the 'softer' side. Please feel free to share anything that reflects a more positive view in order to bring some 'humanity'
I've often wondered why news doesn't sell just as well with stories of extraordinary acts of greatness. Audiences like the rare and unusual. It's an idea whose time is long overdue.

I've created threads about some of these more positive news stories in the past, and almost nobody responds half the time. People just like being miserable.

People do things out of habit. I'm sure with time and effort, people could be habituated to seeking out positive stories.

Stolen from newly posted threads but deserving here:

Not much to see directly in the video but the backstory given is that this owl was found in the woods with two broken wings, which of course is a slow death sentence. So the finder took her to the vet where they spent four months healing her wings and set her free to a new life.

I never saw an owl smile before. What a sweet story.

Fraternity Cooks Thanksgiving Dinner For The City's Homeless For The 16th Straight Year

Every Thanksgiving, the brothers of Phi Kappa Psi at Drexel University feed more than 150 people living on the streets around their university.

"Our fraternity was founded on the idea that it’s a great joy of serving others," said one student. "So the reason we do this is just to give back to the community every year, it’s been going for 16 years now." Fraternity Cooks Thanksgiving Dinner For The City's Homeless For The 16th Straight Year

Lost Cat Mittens Flitton Conquers Utah's Wasatch Mountains To Get Home

Lost Cat Mittens Flitton Conquers Utah's Wasatch Mountains To Get Home
And what stood between that cat and his home was the impossible: the Wasatch Mountains — rugged terrain and peaks approaching 12,000 feet. The impossible....Four months after fleeing from that boat yard, someone found him and brought him to veterinarian Dr. Carl Prior, who scanned him and found that Mittens had been microchipped........"It had lost a lot of weight," said Dr. Prior. "Its feet were injured."....Although there's no way to track the route Mittens took, Dr. Prior has no doubt that he'd climbed over the mountains, trying to get home. Aside from the physical evidence of Mittens' journey, Dr. Prior said it just isn't plausible that Mittens had gotten a ride to Park City...."This story is a special story about a special cat that was just trying to find its way home," he said. "He didn't know how far the path was going to be, but it didn't matter to him. He was going to go for it and find his way home."

How in the hell does one focus on the positive, with so much negative shit going on in this country. Its like sticking your head in the sand and wishing it all would go away. To much scorched earth to be happy going forward and we can all thank racist white mf's for this one.

But I will give one positive...2017 I will not engage racist MSB board member over Trump. Its a waste of time and I personally don't have the energy anymore to talk with a brick wall.

How in the hell does one focus on the positive, with so much negative shit going on in this country. Its like sticking your head in the sand and wishing it all would go away. To much scorched earth to be happy going forward and we can all thank racist white mf's for this one.

But I will give one positive...2017 I will not engage racist MSB board member over Trump. Its a waste of time and I personally don't have the energy anymore to talk with a brick wall.

Yes it is difficult to find positives in our lives with so much negativity. It has nothing to do with 'sticking your head in the sand & wishing it all to go away', but is more to give a more balanced perspective to life and a better ability to cope with so much negativity. If you only see the negatives, it pulls you down & has a tremendous effect on the psyche and a person then tends to only think negatively, thereby expressing negativity in their actions. Exposure becomes thoughts becomes deeds. To be so full of negative thoughts & emotions is a miserable life....

In contrast, to only see the positive is like sticking your head in the sand & ignoring the truth. Or living in some type of mental fantasy land. You may be happier, but it's not smart.

The point of this thread is to offer another perspective to bring more balance.....some positive to go along with all the negativity on the board and in our lives. And hopefully it can maybe inspire others to actively look for positive stories or experiences to share

If you think about it...if you walk down any street and think about it...what do you see? What do you find? People opening doors for one another. People saying "excuse me" or "thank you"....the man offering to carry the old lady's groceries to her car...the woman patting the back of a sobbing child...friends laughing over some silly pet video on an iphone while riding the subway...

If you really stop and think about it, 90% of what goes on with humanity each day is positive. It's just that the 10% is so outlandish, often, that it draws in your attention. The human eye is trained to notice rarer things. And the media chooses to use that tendency to rake in money via ratings and advertising. So they perpetuate the myth.

Take heart! The world really is a good place. Instead of focusing on the one pile of dog shit in a field of daisies, try looking at the daisies more often. In fact, I've heard a rumor that if you focus on the daisies you may become part of the beautiful scenery. ;)

I've got an idea. I call it "the five in five".. Next time you're watching the news or listening to it in your car or wherever, when you hear a negative story that shocks you, turn it off. Just turn it off and breath for 5 minutes. During that 5 minutes, think of at least 5 positive things you've seen in the last week. Don't have to be big things. Just a man opening a door for someone....a child laughing.. just anything will do. Then, turn the TV or radio back on and see if you're still interested in hearing the type of news most stations are dishing up..

Last edited:

Yes it is difficult to find positives in our lives with so much negativity. It has nothing to do with 'sticking your head in the sand & wishing it all to go away', but is more to give a more balanced perspective to life and a better ability to cope with so much negativity. If you only see the negatives, it pulls you down & has a tremendous effect on the psyche and a person then tends to only think negatively, thereby expressing negativity in their actions. Exposure becomes thoughts becomes deeds. To be so full of negative thoughts & emotions is a miserable life....

In contrast, to only see the positive is like sticking your head in the sand & ignoring the truth. Or living in some type of mental fantasy land. You may be happier, but it's not smart.

The point of this thread is to offer another perspective to bring more balance.....some positive to go along with all the negativity on the board and in our lives. And hopefully it can maybe inspire others to actively look for positive stories or experiences to share

I am a die hard liberal and when I ache, I ache...however, I have got let politics go for awhile and just let the shit happen.....good or bad. Now with that being said...I work 60 hours a week non stop, I'm tired and I'm not a happy person these days, but I do know for a fact, I have a wonderful family, great fantastic friends, a guy that loves me to death and I should look at those blessings instead...so your right and I'm sorry!!

I am a die hard liberal and when I ache, I ache...however, I have got let politics go for awhile and just let the shit happen.....good or bad. Now with that being said...I work 60 hours a week non stop, I'm tired and I'm not a happy person these days, but I do know for a fact, I have a wonderful family, great fantastic friends, a guy that loves me to death and I should look at those blessings instead...so your right and I'm sorry!!

:smiliehug: This election has wreaked havoc on everyone's mental & emotional state, regardless of what side they are on. From what you say, I think you need a vacation for some major R&R. But if that is impossible, as it usually is, try a mini-vacation. Even if you can't get away, maybe just focus your attention on family, friends &/or your man and keep all electronics turned OFF. No news, tv, computer or phone......take some deep breaths and restore some inner peace. Positives are there, they are everywhere.....let them fill you.

And to put it into perspective......you are a very lucky person. You have an important job that you are very dedicated to and obviously bust your butt for, a wonderful family, great friends and a loving & loyal man in your life........not everyone has those things. So cherish them and let them know how important they are to you.

More Young People Are Watching 'Planet Earth II'

"I'm told that we are attracting a larger than normal number of younger viewers and apparently the music of Hans Zimmer in particular is striking a chord," the naturalist added to the Radio Times. "That pleases me enormously...
"Visually, where Planet Earth took an almost God-like perspective and said 'Let's look down on the Earth and see the scale of the planet', what Planet Earth II is doing is saying 'Let's get ourselves into the lives of the animals, and see it from their perspective,'"
" More Young People Are Watching 'Planet Earth II' Than Reality Singing Shows

I guess this means that less kids will be watching "I Am Jazz" and more of them will be tuning in to see how males and females naturally mate to produce normal male or female offspring. Biology; the raw mechanics. Behaviors, adaptation; that sort of stuff. I'm surprised GLAAD hasn't launched a lawsuit to bring them down for "bigoted programming" :lmao: I mean, a whole new generation could learn that it's normal for males to seek out females and vice versa for sexual encounters. And that motherhood means stopping sexual behavior and focusing on the offspring until they are old enough to fend for themselves. Imagine the implications!

If they run an episode of male and female species that bond for life, like wolf alphas or birds, GLAAD's lawyers will be sharpening their quills for battle..

Forum List

Back