Who was Hank Ballard's backup band?
Who was Elvis Presley's backup band?

Who was Bill Haley's backup band?
Who was Little Anthony's backup band?
Who was Frankie Lymon's backup band?
Who was Buddy Holly's backup band?
Well, I can name the first four without googling. 1) His Comets 2) The Imperials 3) The Teenagers 4) The Crickets, I'm not sure of the last two, I know the Jordinaires were the vocal group that backed Elvis on many of his early hits. And the two musicians that backed Elvis on his early stuff were Bill Black and Scotty Moore.

Well, I can name the first four without googling. 1) His Comets 2) The Imperials 3) The Teenagers 4) The Crickets, I'm not sure of the last two, I know the Jordinaires were the vocal group that backed Elvis on many of his early hits. And the two musicians that backed Elvis on his early stuff were Bill Black and Scotty Moore.
Correct. Bill Black and Scotty Moore were sometimes referred to as the...?

Some of these songs are still pretty well known over 60 years later.
Timeless classics definitely.

My absolute favorite 50's rock and roll song is Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode". It always makes me want to get up and dance my butt off whenever I hear it. My second favorite would be "That'll Be The Day", by Buddy Holly and the Crickets, then "Mystery Train", by Elvis, then "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On", by Jerry Lee Lewis, and "Hound Dog" by Elvis to round out my five favorites. I believe "Hound Dog" was the very first song I heard by Elvis. My mom still had the 45 single, and I played it to death! I was an Elvis fan for good after hearing that song.

Bill Black Combo?

Bill Black Combo?
Blue Moon Boys.
Thanks, I wouldn't have known that without googling it. And what was Hank Ballard's backing group named? I know I've read it, I can't quite remember it. Was it something like "The(e) Midnighters"? For some reason I'm thinking they were named "Thee" and not "The" Midnighters. And I didn't google this, it just kind of finally came to me.

Thanks, I wouldn't have known that without googling it. And what was Hank Ballard's backing group named? I know I've read it, I can't quite remember it. Was it something like "The(e) Midnighters"? For some reason I'm thinking they were named "Thee" and not "The" Midnighters. And I didn't google this, it just kind of finally came to me.
Midnighters is correct. I give you credit for knowing about the Jordanaires. I've talked to people who claim to be fans of Presley's music who have no clue who the Jordanaires were.

Midnighters is correct. I give you credit for knowing about the Jordanaires. I've talked to people who claim to be fans of Presley's music who have no clue who the Jordanaires were.
Thanks. Was Hank's backing group named THEE Midnighters or THE Midnighters? For some darn reason I'm thinking it was THEE. But it could be I actually saw an error that was published in one of the many books I've read about the history of rock and roll.

Thanks. Was Hank's backing group named THEE Midnighters or THE Midnighters? For some darn reason I'm thinking it was THEE. But it could be I actually saw an error that was published in one of the many books I've read about the history of rock and roll.
I only recall them being "The" Midnighters.

Thanks. This really has me flummoxed! I WILL google, and let you know what I find.

Thanks. This really has me flummoxed! I WILL google, and let you know what I find.
OK, THIS is interesting. Hank's backup band WAS known as THE Midnighters. However, there was a band from East LA, Thee Midniters, who were one of the first Chicano rock bands to have a major hit in the US. Their cover of "Land of a Thousand Dances" was a hit in 1964. I'm so glad I looked this up, it would've been bugging me all night! And I certainly must have read about them in a book about the history of rock and roll.

Forum List

Back