Poltical activism affecting viewership?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Are there shows you don't watch ... or don't watch as much or with as great of interest as you might have otherwise ... because of the political activities of the actors when they're not on that show?

I like the crime shows like Law & Order and Criminal Minds. But I was not sad to see that Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior was cancelled. Janeane Garofalo's presence stopped me from caring much about it. The producers want us to get emotionally invested in the characters, not just intellectually engaged in the crime of the week - and it was next to impossible to care about Garofalo's character because the actress is so hateful in her political commentating life.

I watched a few episodes but can't judge her acting or the overall show objectively because any observations on my part would be affected by my perception of her as a person.

I refused to watch Suspect Behavior because of Garafalo's presence. I'm glad it was cancelled.

I watch programs to be entertained or informed, not because of the politics of the actors involved...unless they bring their politics to the program.
Run of the mill cop shows bore me, maybe its because I get enough of that at work. Suspect Behavior wasn't interesting so I didn't watch. Garafalo had zilch to do with it. My wife likes the CSI programs and gets annoyed when I make fun of them. Holograph images of bodies, computers in the air, like there is money in the budget for that crap. Marg Helgenberger in scoop neck shirts, twenty years after she was too old for them...all the pretty people in Miami wearing Armani....geeze...

Last edited:
  • Banned
When I know too much about negative aspects of the actors it's harder for me to achieve the "willing suspension of disbelief" ......

One part of my brain is experiencing revulsion. But maybe more importantly is another part which is on alert to see if they do bring their politics to the program.

Two shows I briefly tried last year but abandoned because of the heavy handed liberal elements of the script were Harry's Law and Outlaw.

Law & Order gets preachy at times but I still watched because it was fun. I had already gotten interested in the people before I noticed the preachiness. I haven't watched it in almost a year but I just don't watch as much TV as I used to.

Are there shows you don't watch ... or don't watch as much or with as great of interest as you might have otherwise ... because of the political activities of the actors when they're not on that show?

I like the crime shows like Law & Order and Criminal Minds. But I was not sad to see that Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior was cancelled. Janeane Garofalo's presence stopped me from caring much about it. The producers want us to get emotionally invested in the characters, not just intellectually engaged in the crime of the week - and it was next to impossible to care about Garofalo's character because the actress is so hateful in her political commentating life.

I watched a few episodes but can't judge her acting or the overall show objectively because any observations on my part would be affected by my perception of her as a person.

I do. I used to enjoy watching dancing with the stars with my daughter, and the one time I was actually pulling for some one they went and got political. There are musician I dont like as much anymore because they brought there politics into there entertainment.

I stopped watching Law & Order after they made a disparaging comment about a criminal wearing a "(I forget) t shirt"

I will never, ever, never, ever spend a fucking nickel to watch anything with Julia Roberts in it even if she manages to find a way to lick herself to orgasm and puts it on pay per view

Matt Damon is a political retard as well but I like his movies

Is Julia Roberts politically vocal?

I don't watch most of her work because I think she's an overrated hack, but I didn't know she was vocal about politics. Her brother got all the acting chops in that family anyway. :lol:

I didn't know/remember that either but this came up on google.

For years, Roberts was quiet about politics, but she began speaking out after the Bush administration came to power in 2001. She has described Bush as "embarrassing", and said, "He's not my president. He will never be my president".

Julia Roberts

Political Activism is good for television because it gets the word out but it's the way the word gets out that's matters.

Forum List

Back