PolitiFact Sheet: 3 things to know about the 'gun show loophole'

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

Calling it 'gun show' is imprecise because the gaping loophole in the federal law is much bigger than gun show...

Call it the gun-show-flea-market-parking-lot-craigs-list-garage-sale-internet-trailer-park loophole.

Professors at Northeastern and Harvard universities conducted a gun survey in 2015 that isn’t yet published. The national survey of 4,000 non-institutionalized adults found that 22 percent of the people who purchased guns -- at gun shows, stores or elsewhere -- underwent no background check, said Matthew Miller, professor of Health Sciences and Epidemiology at Northeastern University and co-director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.

When researchers excluded purchases between family and friends, that number dropped to 15 percent, which equates to approximately 5 million gun owners whose most recent purchase did not involve a background check.

5 Million gun purchases/trades/sales - with no background check.

How many where domestic abusers, dishonorable discharges, mentally ill, no fly lists?

Hell, how many are just suicidal. That ugly secret of gun deaths, the majority are suicides. And the pro-life party is okay with suicidal people owning guns.

Not in Illinois thankfully. You don't even need to adjudicated at mentally ill. If you are admitted to hospital program voluntarily, you lose your state gun permit for 5 years.

That's what I call sensible.

What's so bad about background checks and gun "titles" so you can follow the ownership and wipe out straw purchases .

If parking lot gun trades without a name check are already illegal what does the radical left suggest? Dump the Constitution and break into homes of suspected gun owners? It should be noted that Barry Hussein could have closed the no fly list loophole but he didn't want to anger his criminal jihad base.

Anyone found in possession of an unlicensed, unregistered weapon gets a mandatory 25 year sentence.

Another OP full of lies, shocker.

Indeed. I have bought both guns and ammo at gun shows, as well as cabelas, bass pro, and I have had guns shipped to a local FFL dealer from online sales.

In every single case, before I could take delivery, I underwent a background check by the FBI.

In some cases, at gun shows, I had to wait hours or even had to come back the next day to pick the firearm up due to the backlog of background checks.

When I purchased a firearm from online, the FFL dealer notified me when it arrived and I went to his place of business and the background check was ran at that time.

The propaganda the left throws out there is the most dishonest crap I have seen in some time.

If parking lot gun trades without a name check are already illegal what does the radical left suggest? Dump the Constitution and break into homes of suspected gun owners? It should be noted that Barry Hussein could have closed the no fly list loophole but he didn't want to anger his criminal jihad base.

Were that the case, two-thirds of the South Side of Chicago would be in jail.....

In Illinois you have to keep record of your sale for ten years if you are a private sale while also making sure the buyer has a FOID card.

I forgot the name of that crazy woman in the 1980's that caused most of the gun law changes within the state but she killed herself and if I remember some kids and the mother...

Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Illinois you have to keep record of your sale for ten years if you are a private sale while also making sure the buyer has a FOID card.

I forgot the name of that crazy woman in the 1980's that caused most of the gun law changes within the state but she killed herself and if I remember some kids and the mother...

Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Found it and her Name was Laurie Dann:

Laurie Dann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no "gun show loophole". That is a leftist media invention.

Over the years I've attended many gun shows in several states.

And all of the vender's followed the law and required a background check before a weapon purchase could be made.

No exceptions. ....... :cool:

Anyone found in possession of an unlicensed, unregistered weapon gets a mandatory 25 year sentence.

So much for "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED", right? How about we tell women that, in order to murder their baby, they register their intent with the federal government before the procedure can be done legally? If not, 25 year mandatory sentence.

Or, how about this: any illegal border jumper that has been caught and returned repeatedly, then murders an American Citizen, the family of the murdered can receive compensation from the "sanctuary city" that flaunted federal law for years.

Those ok with you, too?

Calling it 'gun show' is imprecise because the gaping loophole in the federal law is much bigger than gun show...

Call it the gun-show-flea-market-parking-lot-craigs-list-garage-sale-internet-trailer-park loophole.

Professors at Northeastern and Harvard universities conducted a gun survey in 2015 that isn’t yet published. The national survey of 4,000 non-institutionalized adults found that 22 percent of the people who purchased guns -- at gun shows, stores or elsewhere -- underwent no background check, said Matthew Miller, professor of Health Sciences and Epidemiology at Northeastern University and co-director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.

When researchers excluded purchases between family and friends, that number dropped to 15 percent, which equates to approximately 5 million gun owners whose most recent purchase did not involve a background check.

5 Million gun purchases/trades/sales - with no background check.

How many where domestic abusers, dishonorable discharges, mentally ill, no fly lists?

Hell, how many are just suicidal. That ugly secret of gun deaths, the majority are suicides. And the pro-life party is okay with suicidal people owning guns.

Not in Illinois thankfully. You don't even need to adjudicated at mentally ill. If you are admitted to hospital program voluntarily, you lose your state gun permit for 5 years.

That's what I call sensible.

Suicide is a choice
Why do you think you have the right to tell someone they can't choose to end their own life?

Forum List

Back