Police tell Detroiters to buy guns

I always wonder how the horrible home invasion in Connecticut would have turned out if that doctor had a gun.

Poor guy was tied up in the basement while his wife and daughters were brutalized and murdered and set on fire. I wonder if HE wishes he had kept a weapon in the house? Perhaps he or his wife would have had an opportunity to get to it and at least make a fighting attempt to save themselves from the ensuing carnage.

He was asleep on the porch when the attack happened - he woke up to a baseball bat to his head and a gun in his face.

There's no reason to think he didn't own a gun.

His wife, his daughters, one of them MIGHT have been able to get to a gun and kill or injure those guys. I never heard anything about a weapon, and I'm sure that if there had been a weapon in the residence, it probably would have been at least mentioned.

well, things certainly wouldnt have been any worse. Its probably not a bad idea for a family to have some sort of plan in event of that type of situation.

guns are more of a danger with small kids in the house, but when they are old enough to be responsible, contingency plans are a good idea

Police tell Detroiters to buy guns
City police chief has encouraged residents to arm themselves as stark racial disparities in ‘shoot first’ laws become clear
Detroit police chief James Craig – nicknamed “Hollywood” for his years spent in the LAPD and his seeming love of being in front of the camera – has repeatedly called on “good” and “law-abiding” Detroiters to arm themselves against criminals in the city.
Police tell Detroiters to buy guns in city riven by race issues and crime | Money | theguardian.com

Oh, and look:
Detroit police chief: ‘No question in my mind’ legal gun ownership deters crime
Detroit has experienced 37 percent fewer robberies than it did last year, and Police Chief James Craig is crediting armed citizens for the drop.

“Criminals are getting the message that good Detroiters are armed and will use that weapon,” said Chief Craig, who has been an open advocate for private gun ownership, the Detroit News reported. “I don’t want to take away from the good work our investigators are doing, but I think part of the drop in crime, and robberies in particular, is because criminals are thinking twice that citizens could be armed.

“I can’t say what specific percentage is caused by this, but there’s no question in my mind it has had an effect,” he added.
Detroit police chief: 'No question in my mind' legal gun ownership deters crime - Washington Times

How is this possible?
More guns = more crime, right?
I thought we didn't need guns to protect ourselves, that we have the police for that...?

Here we have police in a crime-ridden city telling people they can't protect them and it makes sense that people should take some of the responsibility for their own safety.

I always wonder how the horrible home invasion in Connecticut would have turned out if that doctor had a gun.

Poor guy was tied up in the basement while his wife and daughters were brutalized and murdered and set on fire. I wonder if HE wishes he had kept a weapon in the house? Perhaps he or his wife would have had an opportunity to get to it and at least make a fighting attempt to save themselves from the ensuing carnage.

He was asleep on the porch when the attack happened - he woke up to a baseball bat to his head and a gun in his face.

His wife, his daughters, one of them MIGHT have been able to get to a gun and kill or injure those guys. I never heard anything about a weapon, and I'm sure that if there had been a weapon in the residence, it probably would have been at least mentioned.

Why would it have been mentioned?

Why wouldn't it have been?

I'm sure the anti-second amendment people would have used that to further their own agenda. They would say, "oh, that family had a gun, and it didn't save them."

It "wouldn't" have been mentioned because whether or not there was a gun in the house was entirely irrelevant to the case, or the media story.

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

Why would it have been mentioned?

Why wouldn't it have been?

I'm sure the anti-second amendment people would have used that to further their own agenda. They would say, "oh, that family had a gun, and it didn't save them."

It "wouldn't" have been mentioned because whether or not there was a gun in the house was entirely irrelevant to the case, or the media story.

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

Oh please, if there was a gun mentioned in the police report (which there would have been if there had been a gun present at the scene), the media would have been all over that . . . for obvious reasons.

guns are more of a danger with small kids in the house, but when they are old enough to be responsible, contingency plans are a good idea[/QUOTE

I agree, kids and guns don't mix unless under direct instruction supervision. Guns should be locked away unless you are carrying them. If using them for self defense, you should take CCW training class to keep yourself out of trouble.

guns are more of a danger with small kids in the house, but when they are old enough to be responsible, contingency plans are a good idea

I agree, kids and guns don't mix unless under direct instruction supervision. Guns should be locked away unless you are carrying them. If using them for self defense, you should take CCW training class to keep yourself out of trouble.
I think a good plan would be to keep the gun safe in the closet (no small children in my home), and then if someone ever broke in, hopefully I would have the time to go hide in the closet with my weapon and cell phone. I would just sit there quietly and be ready to shoot if the intruder found me. Of course, things rarely go as planned, but that's about all I could do I think.

Forum List

Back