Police Officer Stress

waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
Bein' a cop can make ya sick...
icon_omg.gif

Study: Stress Can Leave Police Officers More Vulnerable to Disease
February 7, 2017 - A study of more than 300 Buffalo police officers suggests that the high-stress environment can leave the officers more vulnerable to disease.
For most people, cortisol, the vital hormone that controls stress, increases when they wake up. It’s the body’s way of preparing us for the day. But in police officers who’ve experienced intense stress on the job, cortisol functions much differently, according to recent research from the University at Buffalo and funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

officersstress.5899b8bfd1987.jpg

John Violanti, PhD -- who served with the New York State Police for 23 years and is now a research professor of epidemiology and environmental health at the University at Buffalo School of Public Health and Health Professions -- says a study of more than 300 members of the Buffalo Police Department suggests that the high-stress working environment can leave officers vulnerable to disease.​

A study of more than 300 members of the Buffalo Police Department suggests that police events or conditions considered highly stressful by the officers may be associated with disturbances of the normal awakening cortisol pattern. That can leave the officers vulnerable to disease, particularly cardiovascular disease, which already affects a large number of officers. “We wanted to look at what stressors most affect police officers in their work and what affect that has in the dysregulation of this awakening cortisol pattern,” said John Violanti, PhD, research professor of epidemiology and environmental health in UB’s School of Public Health and Health Professions.“Past studies haven’t really looked at the intensity of the stressor and how it affected this cortisol pattern. Here we looked at actual intensity,” adds Violanti, lead author on the paper, published in the January issue of the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology. The study included 338 Buffalo officers who were enrolled in the Buffalo Cardio-Metabolic Occupational Police Stress (BCOPS) study, a long-term study Violanti began in 1999.

What stresses officers the most?

For this study, participating officers assessed a variety of on-the-job stressors using a questionnaire that asks officers to rate 60 police-related events with a “stress rating.” Events perceived as very stressful are assigned a higher rating. Exposure to battered or dead children ranked as the most stressful event, followed by: killing someone in the line of duty; having a fellow officer killed on duty; a situation requiring the use of force; and being physically attacked.

Identifying the five most intense stressors police can face was significant, Violanti said. “When we talk about interventions to help prevent disease, it’s tricky because these stressors are things that can’t be prevented,” he said. “That’s why the availability of peer support programs within police departments is important. ”The survey showed that the officers experienced one of the five major stressors, on average, 2.4 times during the month before the survey was completed.

Stressed officers see blunted cortisol pattern

Being a police officer these days is akin to putting a bulls eye on your back. I know that they want to help make a safe society, but at what cost for them?

icon_omg.gif

February 7, 2017 - A study of more than 300 Buffalo police officers suggests that the high-stress environment can leave the officers more vulnerable to disease.
For most people, cortisol, the vital hormone that controls stress, increases when they wake up. It’s the body’s way of preparing us for the day. But in police officers who’ve experienced intense stress on the job, cortisol functions much differently, according to recent research from the University at Buffalo and funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

John Violanti, PhD -- who served with the New York State Police for 23 years and is now a research professor of epidemiology and environmental health at the University at Buffalo School of Public Health and Health Professions -- says a study of more than 300 members of the Buffalo Police Department suggests that the high-stress working environment can leave officers vulnerable to disease.​

A study of more than 300 members of the Buffalo Police Department suggests that police events or conditions considered highly stressful by the officers may be associated with disturbances of the normal awakening cortisol pattern. That can leave the officers vulnerable to disease, particularly cardiovascular disease, which already affects a large number of officers. “We wanted to look at what stressors most affect police officers in their work and what affect that has in the dysregulation of this awakening cortisol pattern,” said John Violanti, PhD, research professor of epidemiology and environmental health in UB’s School of Public Health and Health Professions.“Past studies haven’t really looked at the intensity of the stressor and how it affected this cortisol pattern. Here we looked at actual intensity,” adds Violanti, lead author on the paper, published in the January issue of the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology. The study included 338 Buffalo officers who were enrolled in the Buffalo Cardio-Metabolic Occupational Police Stress (BCOPS) study, a long-term study Violanti began in 1999.

For this study, participating officers assessed a variety of on-the-job stressors using a questionnaire that asks officers to rate 60 police-related events with a “stress rating.” Events perceived as very stressful are assigned a higher rating. Exposure to battered or dead children ranked as the most stressful event, followed by: killing someone in the line of duty; having a fellow officer killed on duty; a situation requiring the use of force; and being physically attacked.

Identifying the five most intense stressors police can face was significant, Violanti said. “When we talk about interventions to help prevent disease, it’s tricky because these stressors are things that can’t be prevented,” he said. “That’s why the availability of peer support programs within police departments is important. ”The survey showed that the officers experienced one of the five major stressors, on average, 2.4 times during the month before the survey was completed.

It must be stressful trying to remember what lies you told when.

icon_omg.gif

The stress is being vulnerable just sitting in your car and being executed or being shot when you are trying to be helpful to a citizen. Would you want to be a police officer at this time?

icon_omg.gif

The stress is being vulnerable just sitting in your car and being executed or being shot when you are trying to be helpful to a citizen. Would you want to be a police officer at this time?

That threat exists for every single person in the nation. There were more than 15,000 murders committed in the US. Of those 135 were cops. That means after we subtract the cops more than 15,000 civilians were murdered.

The Murderers generally speaking target the cops second, after us. The Rapists don't target cops. But let's stay with murderers.

When one of us is murdered is there an all hands on deck manhunt for the baddie? Nope. The cops pull out all the stops when one of their fellow gang members is killed however.

Murderers get out of prison every week. Only if they killed a cop is it a newsworthy event.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/02/06/convicted-cop-killer-to-be-released-from-prison-in-indiana/

I was a soldier and went to war with less hardware than the police have. Fear isn't why I eschewed the police as a vocation. I won't join any criminal gang. Be they motorcycle gangs or mafia or badge wearing.

They don't protect us. They don't serve society. If they did I'd have a lot more respect for them than I do.

I appreciate you finding my comments funny. But let's get to cases shall we?

Police Perjury is an established fact. The police themselves call it testilying. Opinion | How do we fix the police ‘testilying’ problem?

Prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges polled on the issue said that they believe the police are lying in about one case out of five. Twenty percent of the prosecutions have some police lie in it somewhere.

Police perjury: It's called 'testilying'

Police officers who lie are rarely as in almost never punished for it.

Cops rarely punished when judges find testimony false, questionable

Perjury is a felony. In every state in the union it is a felony. Under federal law it is a felony. Yet it happens every single day in court as the police testify. Committing a felony makes you a criminal. When you commit a crime you are a criminal even if you are never charged, or convicted of the crime. If a woman is raped and the rapist is never caught we don't say the rape didn't happen.

I knew about all of this when I got out of the Military. I knew that a cop has to back his brother officers or risk going it alone or worse being targeted by the police for breaking the blue wall.

‘The NYPD Tapes’ reveals the cruel reality of being a cop in New York City

It is the case all over the nation.

City revisits fired Buffalo cop case

I'm glad you find it funny. I admit that I often laugh when I read or hear about many of the cases. The one thing I am certain of is that the last person I am going to trust is a cop.

Police Perjury is an established fact. The police themselves call it testilying. Opinion | How do we fix the police ‘testilying’ problem?

Prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges polled on the issue said that they believe the police are lying in about one case out of five. Twenty percent of the prosecutions have some police lie in it somewhere.

Perjury is a felony. In every state in the union it is a felony. Under federal law it is a felony. Yet it happens every single day in court as the police testify. Committing a felony makes you a criminal. When you commit a crime you are a criminal even if you are never charged, or convicted of the crime. If a woman is raped and the rapist is never caught we don't say the rape didn't happen.

I knew about all of this when I got out of the Military. I knew that a cop has to back his brother officers or risk going it alone or worse being targeted by the police for breaking the blue wall.

I'm glad you find it funny. I admit that I often laugh when I read or hear about many of the cases. The one thing I am certain of is that the last person I am going to trust is a cop.
That is...until you need him.

If I need a cop where I live I hope that I have time. The response time would be at least a half hour. Probably closer to an hour. So my theory in that case is to have them show up about the same time as my lawyer to explain the body perforated and laying on the ground good and cold.

So what else would I call them for? Auto accident? I live in Georgia. Rural Georgia. By Georgia standards I'm pretty Liberal. By Berkeley standards I'm just another radical right wing etc.

So no, calling the cops is not an option. Around here neighbors are your first response. We pull together and help one another out. For most accidents you take pictures with your phone and get the information and move on. The cops may show up with the tow truck or may not if they are busy meeting their ticket quota.

When I go to town I am unlikely to call them. I know what happens when you call the cops.

I have and will take care of myself.

After 8 years of obama disrespecting them, and painting a bullseye on their backs, I'm not surprised they're feeling more stress than usual.

Obama did more damage than some realize.

After 8 years of obama disrespecting them, and painting a bullseye on their backs, I'm not surprised they're feeling more stress than usual.

Obama did more damage than some realize.
Exactly.

Obama has the blood of numerous dead cops on his hands.

Cops everywhere must be so thankful he is gone, but as you say the damage is done.

icon_omg.gif

You know, what the hell does the intensity show for something they already know is an issue? The next time they do a study for this amount of time perhaps they will take a look at those things that can make an attempt to mitigate that stress like............administrations or the politics or sleep deprivation. Those things that can be changed. I bet those aren't so "tricky".

those who demonize law enforcement are hurting the very people they say they want to help!

That is one of the most asinine arguments I've ever read. You should be proud.

When you see injustice, you are supposed to speak out. The Department of Homeland Insecurity even has as their motto, see something, say something. Telling the truth is supposed to be expected, not something to be ashamed of.

My opinions are based upon facts. I've linked to the study so often that you would think I have it on a hot key. That study says that one out of five cases have a cop lying under oath according to the lawyers and judges polled. I've linked to articles through this thread that are astonishing.

So how do I hurt people by telling the truth? Every lawyer you talk to will tell you to tell the police nothing without a lawyer present. Don't trust the cops is the very basis of the adversarial relationship that must exist. Telling someone that the police lie means that they may not believe it, but they may. Then one day they are on a jury, and they wonder if the words they are hearing are true. Excellent. Questioning authority is part and parcel of the American value. That's why Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press are contained in the Constitution.

Absolute obedience is a keystone of a form of Government, but I hope it is never the basis of the American form of Government.

That threat exists for every single person in the nation. There were more than 15,000 murders committed in the US. Of those 135 were cops. That means after we subtract the cops more than 15,000 civilians were murdered.

The Murderers generally speaking target the cops second, after us. The Rapists don't target cops. But let's stay with murderers.

When one of us is murdered is there an all hands on deck manhunt for the baddie? Nope. The cops pull out all the stops when one of their fellow gang members is killed however.

Murderers get out of prison every week. Only if they killed a cop is it a newsworthy event.

I was a soldier and went to war with less hardware than the police have. Fear isn't why I eschewed the police as a vocation. I won't join any criminal gang. Be they motorcycle gangs or mafia or badge wearing.

They don't protect us. They don't serve society. If they did I'd have a lot more respect for them than I do.
You're as full of shit as an old latrine. Cops get murdered for wearing the uniform. Trying to minimize it with national murder figures is plain dumb. Plumbers aren't killed for being plumbers.

Murders killing people very much make it in the news regardless of who it was. You're also confused about what swat teams versus patrol officers wear. Sounds like you took a round to the noggin.

My opinions are based upon facts. I've linked to the study so often that you would think I have it on a hot key. That study says that one out of five cases have a cop lying under oath according to the lawyers and judges polled. I've linked to articles through this thread that are astonishing.
Arguments by authority carry no weight.

You're as full of shit as an old latrine. Cops get murdered for wearing the uniform. Trying to minimize it with national murder figures is plain dumb. Plumbers aren't killed for being plumbers.

Murders killing people very much make it in the news regardless of who it was. You're also confused about what swat teams versus patrol officers wear. Sounds like you took a round to the noggin.

The phrase that describes your argument is nonsense. Women are raped and killed for being blond, or whatever physical attributes that the baddie desires. Elderly are killed because they look like easy victims. People are killed for what they appear to be all the time.

One of the first things an investigator does when looking at a murder scene is try and see if there is a similar crime scene elsewhere.

But you claim it is what they wear. People are killed because they are wearing a red shirt on the way home from work and are mistaken for a rival gang. Dylan Roof killed because the targets were black. An officer in the army killed his soldiers because they weren't Muslim. Homosexuals are killed for being gay. Whites are killed as a target of opportunity by enraged blacks.

It happens every single day. So your claim that the police are somehow unique is not naive, it is stupid. Hate crimes were not originally created because the cops were targeted. It was because a black man was dragged to death behind a pick up by white trash morons. Because a young gay man was tied to a fence and left to die from exposure.

Now of course the cops need additional protections. Killing a cop is one of those special circumstances where the death penalty is allowed in most states. For Louisiana that wasn't enough. They made killing a cop a hate crime.

Killing a blond woman because she reminded you of the girl who broke your heart is just a murder. Killing a cop is unforgivable.

Members of a Sikh temple were targeted. Cab drivers are targeted. Prostutues are targeted. Only the national news doesn't give a damn if a hooker is killed. No big manhunts for a guy murdering hookers. Not like Dornier in California.

Nobody is demanding that killing a hooker is a hate crime. Nobody demanding a felony conviction if the hooker is beaten. They are viewed as trash by society and most people think they asked for it.

No national outrage when a black man is walking home from work and is killed by a drive by shooting.

Commercial Fishermen have a more dangerous job. Yet we don't excuse them for tearing up a bar because they are upset about the risk they face. Get a clue man.

Arguments by authority carry no weight.

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. None.

Last time I needed a cop, he engaged in a criminal conspiracy with my attacker. Fuck 'em.

Last edited:
The phrase that describes your argument is nonsense. Women are raped and killed for being blond, or whatever physical attributes that the baddie desires. Elderly are killed because they look like easy victims. People are killed for what they appear to be all the time.
The nonsense is all yours. Sane people don't try to equate being attacked for blondeness to people being killed for doing their jobs.

The nonsense is all yours. Sane people don't try to equate being attacked for blondeness to people being killed for doing their jobs.

You should have read the entire reply. I guess you were too busy.

Forum List

Back