Poland’s New Bill Slaps $2.2 Million Fines For Social Media Companies Censoring Lawful Posts

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
About time, I hope we follow ...

From the link

Individuals whose posts have been censored will have the right to complain to the platform in question, which has 24 hours to respond. The user then has 48 hours to petition the new court to have their content reinstated, and the court then has seven days to consider the petition.

If the court finds in favor of the user and the social media platform does not restore the content or unblock the account, they will be fined up to €1.8 million by the Office of Electronic Communications. The whole process will happen online, according to Ziobro

If you had told me back in 1970 that in 50 years Poland would have stronger safeguards to preserve free speech than the United States, I would have thought you were nuts

From the link

Individuals whose posts have been censored will have the right to complain to the platform in question, which has 24 hours to respond. The user then has 48 hours to petition the new court to have their content reinstated, and the court then has seven days to consider the petition.

If the court finds in favor of the user and the social media platform does not restore the content or unblock the account, they will be fined up to €1.8 million by the Office of Electronic Communications. The whole process will happen online, according to Ziobro

Wonder if a post calling for the overthrow of the Polish government would be considered lawful??

I would expect all sites like this to be taken down within days of something like this passing here.

That would accomplish exactly the opposite of what people claim they want (but it's not).

From the link

Why does it seem to me that all this fuss about social media by Trump is to ensure he can lie without consequence? Is that what free speech means or is it really responsibility-free speech he wants?

From the link

We won't follow because we're stupid and obsessed with PC bullshit and have a congress full of COWARDS

Libs don't mind censorship because its not their ideas being washed....at least not yet.....by the time they wake up it may be too late....

This is a step forward regarding the protection of free speech, it seems. According to the article, Poland plans to establish a special court which will oversee such cases. The question is how effective the court will be considering a possible high number of such lawsuits.

From the link

I commend Poland for their actions, it is a shame that the US is not the leader in this regard. The democrats will NEVER pass restrictions on 230. The owe social media too much.

Forum List

Back