Zone1 Please define trolling....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolls are obvious to spot. They never have a point. They never answer direct questions. They may say something that has the flavor of satire, but it would be more directed at the other poster, than the thread topic.

I think you need to look outside the box on this one. If the satirical post is preceded or followed by on topic posts, whether they be satirical or serious, should be taken in consideration. If a poster demonstrates a willingness to have a conversation, then THAT poster is NOT a troll!

This is a great example of the troll, Missourian, and so is Dagosa.

Both of them drive-by only occasionally, thank God, and neither of them ever makes a point, beyond working out a bit of snarkiness directed at just about anyone, and getting their little social validation dopamine hit. Then they're gone until the dopamine wears off. Neither ever adds to the conversation.

Note -- both get a charge out of reporting you to admin, so tread cautiously. They bite and have venom.

Here is a good example of trolling

It is childish, stupid and looks like it is written by a seven year old. It does not invite a discussion, but simply seeks to enflame a group of people. It is simply an act of waging war and exists as nothing more than an exercise of monkeys flinging poop.
Hey, that is exactly what you are doing.

Trolling is bad faith posting, usually with the intention of causing disruption, annoyance, and anger.

If someone believes what they are posting, they are not trolling. They certainly might be flaming, and odds are they're a fucking idiot, but they're not trolling.

When they're directly contradicting themselves, like they say x, and then "I never said x" and then you quote them and they still deny it, we're back into trolling, gaslighting, bad faith bullshit.
It depends, like flaming, on the constitution of the "victim," whether they are sensitive to contradictory beliefs and information anarchy. The latter is certainly designed to disrupt the dogmatic slumber of the prisoner. That is why there is nothing that can be done with stupidity. No amount of education, no amount of regulation or rules. Stupidity has to turn on itself, do violence to itself.

Therefore, both "trolling" and "flaming" are seriously information-compromised, prejudicial terms.

A post of mine was removed for "trolling" and I was also excluded from the thread.

IMO my post was satirical...but on 100% on topic.

Just so I and others don't fall afoul of this rule again...please define trolling as it applies to USMB.
Trolling means, "I disagree with what you said", but it's put down to trolling because I'm a lazy asshole.

I reckon it was Dont Taz Me Bro because he can't be bothered to wipe his bum after a poo.

I don't understand most people's definition of what a troll is.

One definition i feel is someone posting something like "you're gay"

"above poster or poster below me is a gay"

"That game sucks and is a waste of time. why do you play it?"

"That band sucks"

Or what happened to this kid, Teenage My Little Pony fan threw himself under train

Or some of the stuff that goes on at Encyclopedia Dramatica or 4chan.

I don't understand most people's definition of what a troll is.

One definition i feel is someone posting something like "you're gay"

"above poster or poster below me is a gay"

"That game sucks and is a waste of time. why do you play it?"

"That band sucks"

Or what happened to this kid, Teenage My Little Pony fan threw himself under train

Or some of the stuff that goes on at Encyclopedia Dramatica or 4chan.
Those are not examples of trolling

I have yet to encounter a mod who understands what the word trolling means. Heck, one of them indulged in a doozie of a troll post quite recently.

Trolling in internet parlance is taken after the fishing term. To troll in fishing is to cast out a wide net in hopes of scooping up whatever they can catch. In a similar vein, trolling involves crafting a post in such a way that people are offended into responding. They are usually hyperbolic, overly simplistic, Manichaean in nature and preemptively disdainful. There is a Welsh poster here who indulges in nothing BUT trolling posts as his o.p.s are filled with such derision and scorn that they guarantee that will elicit a response to the stupidity.
IOW, every post that this insufferable douchebag belches out....

30820.jpg

A post of mine was removed for "trolling" and I was also excluded from the thread.

Just so I and others don't fall afoul of this rule again...please define trolling as it applies to USMB.
Probably the same place mine was.

Last edited:

There is a difference between having an honest discussion or trolling. I have put at least 30 trolls on ignore because of name calling and sarcastic responses that are off topic. I welcome any wholesome debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back