Platoon

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
how the hell did this win best picture????!!!!
..Charlie Sheen sucks.....Tom Berenger is not much better at all ......
..the night scenes look shitty- like it's a set --lighting is bad
..Dafoe dying is an idiotic scene

''''''In 1998, the American Film Institute placed Platoon at #83 in their "AFI's 100 Years ... 100 Movies" poll. In 2019, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant'''
= ridiculous

''''''In 1998, the American Film Institute placed Platoon at #83 in their "AFI's 100 Years ... 100 Movies" poll. In 2019, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant'''
= ridiculous
I liked it. Watched it again last night.

It was more about what was happening at the time. Platoon came out with at least a half a dozen other films about Viet Nam.

Getting as close as it could was "a thing" at the time and several films that came out around the same time were getting nailed for being inaccurate at best and deceptive at worst. Also, dealing with the fallout from the conflict was undeniable. World War II vets were looking at the Viet Nam vets telling them to suck that shit up. PTSD was NOT being addressed and was not even acknowledged. Platoon was written by a Vet.

= ridiculous
IMO, it's amateurish/etc

It was more about what was happening at the time. Platoon came out with at least a half a dozen other films about Viet Nam.

Getting as close as it could was "a thing" at the time and several films that came out around the same time were getting nailed for being inaccurate at best and deceptive at worst. Also, dealing with the fallout from the conflict was undeniable. World War II vets were looking at the Viet Nam vets telling them to suck that shit up. PTSD was NOT being addressed and was not even acknowledged. Platoon was written by a Vet.
written by a vet and actors sucked

written by a vet and actors sucked
I can't think of anything that came out in the 1980s that didn't suck.

"Apocalypse" was about how Vietnam exemplified madness. "Dear Hunter" was about what the war did to America's heart and soul. "Jacket" was a statement about war. "Platoon" was more specifically focused on young Americans in hell.

Casualties Of War was an underrated war movie

= ridiculous
IMO, it's amateurish/etc
Me and somebody like it. It cleaned up at the box office and the awards. Your a tough audience.
1615682212945.png

Platoon was a ground breaking film.
And to truly experience that, you would have had to seen it in 1986. Not 2021.
It was the first of it's kind. No other war movie ever made was about the individual soldiers fighting it, rather than about the war itself.
The first film ever that showed the human side of fighting in a war. The chaos, madness and experience of young men in hell.
The personal side. Not scenes of glory, magnificent battles.... heroes falling from the sky - but the true grit, pain and hellish nightmare war actually is.

It had it's problems, but how many know the film nearly got canceled.... shots had to be relocated, shortened and delayed because an actual revolution broke out at the location they were? This caused Stone to have to accept scenes he couldn't remake and shoot. Numerous scenes were shot without any practice, and hours without any breaks because they didn't know if the real battles being fought were going to cause them to have to leave. Many of the actors in some scenes had not slept for over 24 hours.

Platoon was magnificent in 1986. Because the audience, myself included, never experienced anything like it. We were all accustomed to "John Wayne" like war films... soldiers were super heroes... super brave... and the enemy was a bunch of maniac idiots.
Platoon showed the soldier as a human being. And all the fragility and imperfections that come with being one.

= ridiculous
IMO, it's amateurish/etc
Me and somebody like it. It cleaned up at the box office and the awards. Your a tough audience.
View attachment 467429
......they've given best picture awards to shit movies before.....Hollywierd is a bunch of jackass idiot liberals
......Tom Berenger --HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH ....his acting is always ''wooden''/robot ....it's not hard to act like a tough ass platoon leader.....he was very shitty also in Shoot To Kill --horrible ...I was not impressed with him ...I saw Platoon before the other one
....Dafoe running through the jungle was ridiculous .....did Stone actually do that in Nam????!!!! I don't think so
..and add shithead Sheen = not great....good maybe, but not great ......

......Apocalypse Now had a great mysterious '''what will happen'' theme/''what's up the river''/ foreshadowing/etc to it....great accompanying music--''creepy'' music/sounds/etc.....Platoon had no real mystery/''mission''/lead up/foreshadowing/etc --PLUS shithead actors
etc

"Apocalypse" was about how Vietnam exemplified madness. "Dear Hunter" was about what the war did to America's heart and soul. "Jacket" was a statement about war. "Platoon" was more specifically focused on young Americans in hell.
..I thought Apocalypse Now was about the novel Heart of Darkness--originally about the Congo, but ANow used Vietnam for a background?

= ridiculous
Maybe the other films sucked more?

= ridiculous
IMO, it's amateurish/etc
View attachment 467429
......they've given best picture awards to shit movies before.....Hollywierd is a bunch of jackass idiot liberals
......Tom Berenger --HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH ....his acting is always ''wooden''/robot ....it's not hard to act like a tough ass platoon leader.....he was very shitty also in Shoot To Kill --horrible ...I was not impressed with him ...I saw Platoon before the other one
....Dafoe running through the jungle was ridiculous .....did Stone actually do that in Nam????!!!! I don't think so
..and add shithead Sheen = not great....good maybe, but not great ......

......Apocalypse Now had a great mysterious '''what will happen'' theme/''what's up the river''/ foreshadowing/etc to it....great accompanying music--''creepy'' music/sounds/etc.....Platoon had no real mystery/''mission''/lead up/foreshadowing/etc --PLUS shithead actors
etc
Hey Sherman, you and Mr. Peabody jump in the way-back machine and go back and right this injustice. You will not change it here, now. It has been in the history books too long and everybody that profited from the huge box office long since spent most of the money, though some probably still collecting residuals, depending on their contract. Good luck.
1615734281618.png

I thought Full Metal Jacket was pretty good. And Apocalypse Now is still my favorite of all time!
Full Metal Jacket - I didn't need Ambien.
The acting was awful...director's fault.
FMJ - had the best opening scene of just about any war movie (Saving Private Ryan excluded)... after that initial 20 minutes... it was a mess. Garbled, non-sensical mess.

I thought Full Metal Jacket was pretty good. And Apocalypse Now is still my favorite of all time!
Full Metal Jacket - I didn't need Ambien.
The acting was awful...director's fault.
FMJ - had the best opening scene of just about any war movie (Saving Private Ryan excluded)... after that initial 20 minutes... it was a mess. Garbled, non-sensical mess.
good call--exactly right --and I've been to BootCamp

Forum List

Back