Run for Office "mature content"

Autodidact_33

Jan 10, 2013
Canada
Run for Office

an original screenplay by Matthew Bissonnette

an John Windsor

EXT. Washington D.C. dawn

Scenes from the capitol city of Washington D.C. early one morning in fall. The sun rising behind the Washington Monument as its reflection is cast in the reflecting pool. A few people walking past the Lincoln Memorial. A air view of the Jefferson monument. An old man standing in the front yard of his home and raising an American flag on a flag pole, he salutes it and it flaps about in the wind. Then there is the view of the White House, the large building surrounded by a stone fence and iron gates. It is at the end of the street and now the sky is gray and overcast.

EXT. sidewalk of D.C. later

Later in the morning. Somewhere in the city is a sidewalk, and park to one side of it. People of the city, most dressed in expensive clothing, walk down the side walk; all have flag pins on their chest. Then there is an image of the pug faced dog, Baxter, scampering along the sidewalk; he looks up as he runs. Then we see President Tom Manning, jogging down the sidewalk past pedestrians who and stop and look at him as Baxter runs along beside him. Tom is a man in his mid sixties who has a bit of a gut and gray hair with a cap on and a jogging suit. Both the cap and suit have the presidential seal on them. As Tom jogs past an adult male in ordinary clothing, the man speaks.

Man on sidewalk

Good day Mr. President.

Tom speaks as he jogs away.

Tom manning

Please, call me Tom.

The man watches as Tom jogs away. Then a cat walks across the sidewalk and Baxter runs at it and chases the cat off frame as Tom laughs.

TOM MANNING

Hope he gets that cat.

He continues to jog.

INT. coffee shop later

A coffee shop somewhere in the city. Patrons sit at tables and drink coffee, one man in a suit is writing on a lap top computer. A young man, Eddie, stands behind the counter; he has messy dark hair and wears a green apron and white paper cap. Eddie watches as Tom opens the door and lets Baxter in then they both walk up to the counter. Tom grins.

TOM MANNING

Morning Eddie.

Eddie seems worried about something. Tom notices.

TOM MANNING

Something wrong Eddie?

Eddie waits a moment then replies.

Eddie

The first lady called the manager Mr. President.

Tom looks away and mutters.

TOM MANNING

Shit.

Tom then looks back to Eddie.

TOM MANNING

What did she say?

EDDIE

That if you come back from your morning jog with anything other then a small coffee then she would destroy him.

Tom then leans on the counter and whispers.

TOM MANNING

Just give me one bagel, she'll never now.

Eddie shakes his head.

EDDIE

The manager is scared of her.

Tom stands up and nods.

TOM MANNING

Tell him that he is not the only one pal.

A female employee nervously approaches and places a small cup of coffee on the counter and walks away. Tom picks it up and looks at it.

TOM MANNING

Four sugars?

Eddie seems a little afraid.

EDDIE

She said one spoon of artificial sweetener.

Tom frowns and looks at the cup of coffee.

TOM MANNING

She wants me to lose weight apparently.

He turns then realizes that a heavy set man in a t-shirt and jeans is standing in front of him. The man is holding a flag pin and seems angry.

Man in t-shirt

I stabbed myself with one of your damn flag pins.

Then man throws the flag pin at Tom and it hits him on the chest and falls to the floor and looks at it.

TOM MANNING

Please, you heard about those flag pins, I haven't had my tetanus shot yet.

The man angrily walks away.

MAN IN T-SHIRT

I wished I voted for the other guy.

Tom speaks as the man storms out the door.

TOM MANNING

I have another three years to change your mind come next election.

Tom waits a moment then takes a sip from his coffee and seems revolted. He looks down at Baxter and looks up at him as he wags his tail.

TOM MANNING

The old ball and chain just really started my day off spectacularly.

Tom then walks towards the door as Baxter follows.

EXT. white house later later

Later in the overcast morning. A small group of protesters are gathered near the front gates, as several men of the secret service, all in black suits and sunglasses, stand about the lawn in front of the White House.

INT. White house moments later

Different scenes from the white house. Members of the secret service and members of the administration walking through the large hallways, with marble floors and white walls with the paintings of presidents on them. The Oval Office, a large room with blue carpeting and a desk behind is large windows through which you can see the city; beside the door is a flag pole with an American flag.

INT. water cooler moments later

At the end of a hallway is a water cooler, with a blue bottle of water on its top and a picture of F.D.R. behind it. Administration Secretary of Defense Dan Powers stands beside the water cooler and drinks from a paper cup of water. He is a large man in his sixties in a dark suit, has graying dark hair and a prominent chin. He seems to think as he drinks water. Then Tom walks up behind him as Baxter follows and Tom gets a paper cup and talks as he fills it with water.

TOM MANNING

So what is my Secretary of Defense doing here by the water cooler again.

Dan takes a sip of water then nods.

Dan Powers

Stuff Mr. President.

Tom grins.

TOM MANNING

What kind of stuff Dan?

Dan drinks water again and speaks.

DAN POWERS

Important stuff.

Tom drinks from his paper cup.

TOM MANNING

And just how important is this stuff?

Dan nods.

DAN POWERS

Stuff that to important for the President to know.

Tom laughs.

TOM MANNING

Oh, I thought you where going to spend the day waiting out the clock by the water cooler until you get to go home and watches the Patriots game tonight.

DAN POWERS

Care to bet on the game?

Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

The president is above making illegal bets on a football game.

Tom drinks some water.

TOM MANNING

Besides I only watch when the Packers play.

DAN POWERS

I remember you saying you played a little college football.

Tom nods and seems to frown.

TOM MANNING

Quarterback actually, till I blew out my knee.

DAN POWERS

Wish I got to spend my formative years playing football, in Nam all I got thrown at me was hand grenades.

Tom looks at Dan.

TOM MANNING

Dan, I told you about talking about Nam and Charlie.

Dan looks down the hallway. Then a man, a Vietcong soldier dressed in a uniform and black bandanna, leans out from behind a corner and looks at Dan. Dan stairs mutely at him for a moment till the Vietcong vanishes behind the corner. Dan seems afraid.

DAN POWERS

Like I said, in Nam, Charlie was everywhere.

Dan still seems transfixed on the corner. Tom drinks some water then looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Instead of risking you having another flashback of the shit Dan, did you see the newest Kill Difficult film? I missed it last Friday.

Dan snaps out of it and looks at Tom.

DAN POWERS

This might ruin it for you, but the Terrorists lose.

They both look at each other and laugh.

TOM MANNING

You are such an asshole Dan.

Tom then walks away.

TOM MANNING

Come on Dan, you can pretend to work in my office.

Dan then follows. Tom speaks as they walk away.

TOM MANNING

Don't feel to bad Dan, at least you got to only spend seven years in the shit; I got married to it.

They both laugh as they walk away as the dog follows.

EXT. white house hallway moments later

A hallway of the white house, two men talk in front of a painting of Hoover. One is Vice President Paul Freeman, a elderly man in his eighties who is portly and has silver hair and wears and dark suit. He talks as Secret Service agent Flynn listens and seems motionless.

Paul Freeman

As I was saying, I was never so inspired as when I heard President Eisenhower make his inaugural address. That morning I think I had a grape fruit for breakfast and cereal, or wait, it might have been toast.

Then Tom and Dan, both still holding paper cups, walk past the two men and stop; then dog follows them. Tom leans towards Dan and whispers.

TOM MANNING

Agent Flynn will hate me in a few minutes.

Tom looks at Paul.

TOM MANNING

Maybe the Vice President should tell Flynn about when you heard Churchill give his speech about the Iron Curtains. And Paul, Flynn wants exacts details.

Paul seems to think for a moment then rambles on.

PAUL FREEMAN

I think I had toast and a boiled egg for breakfast that morning. I took the bus to the library of congress, it cost five cents.

It looks like Tom and Dan are both trying not to laugh.

DAN POWERS

Paul, how much ribbon candy could five cents get you back then?

Paul seems to think think.

PAUL FREEMAN

Four pieces of I remember correctly.

TOM MANNING

Five cents could not get you a single tic tac these days.

DAN POWERS

Let alone a tootsie pop.

Tom looks at Flynn.

TOM MANNING

Flynn, I want you to report back to me on everything the Vice President says and I want exact details.

Tom and Dan walks away. Paul looks at Tom.

PAUL FREEMAN

Mr. President.

Tom and Dan look back. Paul makes a thumbs up gesture. Tom grins.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Paul, the thumbs up always lets me know everything will be OK.

Then Tom and Dan walk away as the dog follows. Paul returns to rambling.

PAUL FREEMAN

The morning of the moon landing, I think I had muffin and some bacon.

INT. WHITE HOUSE hallway MOMENTS LATER

Tom and Dan walk down a hallway as the dog follows; remembers of the staff walk past as they both talk.

DAN POWERS

The Vice President seems to be getting a little old.

TOM MANNING

He is not old, and he can remember what he had for breakfast the morning the pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock.

DAN POWERS

Why did you ask him to be your running mate?

TOM MANNING

He has worked for every administration since 1956 and knows the name of the heads of state of every country on Earth. It gets a little awkward when you forget the name of a world leader; you can only say buddy and pal so many times.

DAN POWERS

Maybe he should retire.

TOM MANNING

None of us are spring chickens anymore Dan.

DAN POWERS

To true.

They walk on as Baxter follows.

EXT. WHITE HOUSE HALLWAY MOMENTS LATER

Two men talk in front of a portrait of Reagan. One is C.I.A. director Kevin Patterson, a slim man in his forties with copper hair and wearing a blue suit. The other man is a North Korean spy who is Asian and is in a black suit; the spy holds a briefcase.

North Korean spy

We have your money, where is the information?

Kevin reaches into his suit and pulls out a large brown envelope.

Kevin Patterson

This comes all the way from N.A.S.A.

They exchange the envelope and the briefcase then the spy walks away and towards Dan, Tom and Baxter who are approaching. The spy walks away and Tom and Dan stop beside Kevin and look at him.

TOM MANNING

My head of Intelligence seems to meet with that North Korean spy a lot?

Kevin clutches the briefcase.

KEVIN PATTERSON

You'll blow my cover Tom.

TOM MANNING

Tom, your first day on the job when you agreed with me on my plan to screw with North Korea by slipping them disinformation; I thought you would do business somewhere other then the white house.

Kevin looks at Tom.

KEVIN PATTERSON

But he really wanted to see the Lincoln bedroom.

DAN POWERS

If they didn't get suspicious when they learned this administration was investing into psychic super soldiers; I don't think they are going to catch on.

Tom laughs.

TOM MANNING

They spent over two billion dollars trying to narrow the psychic super soldier gap.

KEVIN PATTERSON

What was in the envelope this time?

TOM MANNING

America is going to land a man on Mars within four years with ionic space propulsion. North Korea now is going to try ad beat us in the space race with a propulsion which is bullshit. It will be twenty billion dollars before they figure that out.

Kevin walks away with the briefcase as Tom and Dan watch.

TOM MANNING

I'm not sure if it is ethical for you to keep the money Kevin.

Kevin replies loudly as he walks away.

KEVIN PATTERSON

I need an extension to my house Tom.

Tom and Dan walk away in the opposite direction. Tom speaks then laughs.

TOM MANNING

I'm going to be in such I world of shit when Kim Jung figures out that I've been fucking with him.

DAN POWERS

Stay the course Mr. President.

INT. oval office moments later

The office is still for a moment then the door opens and Tom, Dan and Baxter enter the room. Baxter scampers to a small bed and curls up on it. Tom sits behind the desk and Dan leans against the wall. There is silence when Dan looks at Tom.

DAN POWERS

Secret Service figured who was bugging your office?

Tom looks at Dan.

TOM MANNING

Dan, you are my top man around here so it is about time you learn some classified information.

DAN POWERS

I'm all ears.

Tom laughs.

TOM MANNING

It was my wife.

DAN POWERS

Are you sure?

TOM MANNING

As soon as I started my administration, my guys kept finding bugs in my office. As they kept appearing everyday they figured it was someone on the inside. So I told her I was going to have to look into it.

Dan powers

What did she say?

Tom laughs deeply.

TOM MANNING

That she was sure it was going to stop but the husband of who ever left those bugs might not want to look to deeply into it if he knew what was good for him. They never found a bug again.

They both laugh.

DAN POWERS

That is messed up Tom.

TOM MANNING

She has been destroying my political rivals ever since I got into politics.

DAN POWERS

Are you serious?

Tom laughs again.

TOM MANNING

Remember in the election when President Rockwell was five points ahead in the polls cause he was playing the man card?

DAN POWERS

Then all those pictures popped up on the internet of Rockwell, taken from really embarrassing angles.

pictures

A series of pictures of former President Rockwell, an older imposing man with gray hair and in a black suit. In one picture he is kissing an Arabian prince who wears white robes on the cheek; but from the angle the picture is taken it looks like they are kissing on the lips. Another picture of Rockwell behind a head of state, but from the camera angle it looks like Rockwell is placing his hand on his ass.

INT. OVAL OFFICE MOMENTS LATER

Tom laughs.

TOM MANNING

She does things like that all the time. Never underestimate the homophobia of the American voter.

They both laughs deeply.

DAN POWERS

Then Rockwell did that photo op. You know the one where he is dressed up like a cowboy.

PICTURES

A picture of Rockwell. He is dressed like a cowboy and sits on a horse, he holds a Winchester rifle.

Tom leans back in his chair. He grins.

TOM MANNING

Rockwell kind of has a grudge since I cost him his second term.

flashback

A stage at the end of a long street which a crowd of Americans are gathered on. It is a clear day and on the stage is former President Rockwell and Tom shaking hands and waving at the crowd. Rockwell leans over and whispers to Tom.

Rockwell

I know you took those pictures you little fuck.

Rockwell looks at him and smiles.

ROCKWELL

Now you are in for a world of shit, and I'm going to get you for this you hippy, pacifist, liberal bitch.

They continue to wave at the crowd and smile.

TOM MANNING

I'm more of a beatnik then a hippy Mr. President.

ROCKWELL

Me and every other conservative in this town are going to love carving up your administration. You fucked with the wrong guy.

Rockwell then grins and slaps Tom on the shoulder.

ROCKWELL

You better grow eyes on the back of your head.

Standing nearby is Rockwell's wife Samantha, an older woman in a pant suit and red hair done up in a bun. She is waving at the crowd.

Samantha Rockwell

You husband is in for hell now.

The voice of First Lady Ashley Manning speak of frame, she sounds angry.

Ashley Manning

He has no idea.

Tom and Dan are both laughing deeply then try to stop.

TOM MANNING

OK, OK, we have to actually do some work.

Dan looks away.

DAN POWERS

Good luck in this administration.

INT. OVAL OFFICE later

Tom leans back in his chair and has his feet up on the desk and is twittling his thumbs. Dan still leans against the wall and has his hands in his pockets.

TOM MANNING

We are supposed to be doing something Dan, could you tell me what?

DAN POWERS

We have another three years to figure out how to do our jobs.

Then the intercom on Tom's desk buzzes. Tom leans forward and hits a button on it.

TOM MANNING

What is it Vanessa?

The voice of his secretary Vanessa comes out of the intercom.

Vanessa

The general is on his to your office.

TOM MANNING

Thanks, show him in.

Tom leans back.

TOM MANNING

Guess the hawk who know runs the Pentagon has some more advice.

DAN POWERS

I think I hear the Imperial March playing right now.

Tom laughs but tries to stop.

TOM MANNING

Dan, you better not crack me up while I'm talking to this guy.

Then the door opens and General Butler walks in. Butler is a man in his fifties with balding hair and is somewhat overweight; he wears a military uniform with a lot of medals. Tom watches as Butler sits in a chair in front of the desk and grins.

general butler

I know what to do about this North Korea situation.

TOM MANNING

Kevin is taking care of it.

GENERAL BUTLER

We'll deal with this rogue, unstable regime with a full out military assault and hit them hard.

TOM MANNING

I'm not sure that will improve relations.

GENERAL BUTLER

It gets better Mr. President, North Korea is just the appetizer. Now lets get to the main course.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Dan and Tom both look blankly at Butler.

GENERAL BUTLER

So what do you think of that?

Tom seems to think then nods.

TOM MANNING

Well, if we want dessert after the main course we'll have to invade Canada because that will be the only slice of chocolate cake left at the buffet.

DAN POWERS

Could also piss of every customer in the restaurant.

TOM MANNING

I'll take it under advisement. Now I have some pressing business with Dan.

Butler gets up and silently leaves. Dan and Tom look at each other and Dan speaks in a deep voice.

DAN POWERS

If you only knew the power of the dark side.

Tom laughs deeply.

TOM MANNING

That is why I like you Dan, we've seen all the same movies.

DAN POWERS

I'm not a hawk myself, more of an eagle flying majestically through the sky.

TOM MANNING

People like to compare themselves to predatory birds in this town.

They both laugh.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom is leaning back in his chair and Dan leans against the wall and both seem bored. It is silent for a moment when Dan looks at Tom.

DAN POWERS

Now that I get access to classified information, can I ask you something?

TOM MANNING

Sure Dan.

DAN POWERS

How did you end up with the First Lady? You are the leader of the free world yet everyone in this place knows that you are scared shitless of her.

Tom laughs.

TOM MANNING

She is a scary woman Tom.

DAN POWERS

So how did you two end up together?

TOM MANNING

Long story Dan.

DAN POWERS

What else do we have to do, work?

TOM MANNING

Dan, get ready for the most epic love story you ever heard.

Dan looks away.

DAN POWERS

You know how much I like love stories.

TOM MANNING

Don't worry Dan, there is football in it.

Then the scene dissolves as a flashback begins.

Tom's flashback

A college football stadium one night in 1970's America. A crowd of thousands of spectators cheer as they watch the game. Now we see Tom, a young man, running down the field in a silver football uniform holding a football. He is running in slow motion and looks over his shoulder at something behind him.

tom's narration

I got to college on a football scholarship, my first year I was going to get us to the finals. But being a quarterback, well sometimes you feel like you are being chased by a pack of bears.

Now we see several large, burly football players running at the camera in slow motion. They seemed enraged, their teeth clenched, and make a odd roaring noise in slow motion. Now we see Tom running in regular time away from the opposing players and towards the end zone.

Another game one night. Tom is again running away from the opposing teams tacklers towards the end zone in slow motion.

TOM'S NARRATION

I was with a few women, but none ever really got anywhere near my heart.

Tom then looks towards the bleachers. The crowd passes by as the scene moves to the left. Then we see a woman, Ashely, sitting amongst the crowd. She is a petite woman in a sweater and skirt, has short curly dark hair and glasses; unlike the rest of the crowd she seems unhappy and somewhat angry. Then the seen freezes on Tom and he seems like he is motionless.

TOM'S NARRATION

Then I saw her in the crowd. I saw her a few times in school but all my buddies said she was a heartless bitch. It was weird, a perfect moment when time slows down.

Tom looks at her frozen. Then we see Ashely in the crowd as a shooting star flies across the sky.

TOM'S NARRATION

But having that perfect moment during a football games when you have a bunch of guys trying to get you, well, not the best time.

Tom looks over his shoulder and sees the burly football player charging him. Then in regular time they tackle him to the ground and most of the opposing team jump on top of him.

TOM'S NARRATION

I just blew the big game, so my own team decided to get me to.

Then Tom's team jumps on the pile and Tom vanishes beneath the pile of men.

Now Tom lays on the football field as the crowd looks on. Football players stand around him as the team's medic kneels beside Tom.

TOM'S NARRATION

Doc said I blew my knee out pretty bad, and the people are fickle Dan.

Now we see Tom limping away as the entire crowd throws popcorn and drinks at him.

Now we see Tom, who has blond hair and wears expensive clothing, limping down a hallway of the school among his fellow students. In slow motion she see Ashley walking towards him with her school books clutched to her chest.

TOM'S NARRATION

I had to talk to her, I figured she couldn't be that bad.

Tom stops and looks at her walk past.

Young tom

Could you help me?

Ashley seems angered as she walks away but speaks.

young Ashley

Drop dead.

Tom watches her walk away.

TOM'S NARRATION

I knew I liked her right then Dan.

Again on another day Tom walks down a hallway of his school among students and sees Ashley walk towards him. He stops and smiles at her.

YOUNG TOM

Did not get your name.

She seems angry as she walks away.

YOUNG ASHLEY

Piss off.

He watches her walk away.

TOM'S NARRATION

The more this woman hate me, the more I liked her.

Now it is one night during a frat party at a fraternity house. Students stands about and drink beer around the house, and there is marijuana smoking in the air. Now we see Tom, held upside down by his legs by two other guys and drink from a keg of beer; they guys are chanting chug. Then we see Ashley standing in a corner, arms folded across her chest and look at the upside down Tom.

TOM'S NARRATION

I thought maybe one day I would win her over.

Now we see Tom drunkenly stagger towards Ashley and stands beside her. He slurs his words as he talks.

YOUNG TOM

Have not seen you at a frat party before, what is your name?

YOUNG ASHLEY

Ashley Fairchild, and I don't come to frat parties because everyone there is a drunken loser.

Everyone at the party stops doing what they where doing and looks at Ashely, including the student being held upside down by the legs. Tom drunkenly talks to them.

YOUNG TOM

Prove her wrong guys.

Everyone goes back to the party. Tom and Ashley are looking at each other, he seems tipsy.

YOUNG ASHLEY

I came her to speak with you. You like me don't you?

YOUNG TOM

You seem like a very tender person to me.

YOUNG ASHLEY

What are your plans after school?

YOUNG TOM

Only class I'm getting could grades in is Political Science, my Dad was a senator and I had to listen to him go on and on about politics. Since my football career is over, figured I'll go into politics. Besides, I got some dip shit twin brother I'm competing with.

YOUNG ASHLEY

Then I guess we can be together.

Tom smiles but she is frowning.

YOUNG TOM

You like me?

She raises her voice.

YOUNG ASHLEY

No, I just don't hate you us much as everyone else.

Tom looks away and seems really drunk.

YOUNG TOM

Good enough.

YOUNG ASHLEY

We are leaving this party, and tomorrow we will look for a place together. And we will get you a political career.

YOUNG TOM

This is moving kind of fast Ashley.

Ashley they kicks Tom in the shin and he recoils in pain.

YOUNG ASHLEY

I'm calling the shots from now on, I'm going to crawl up your ass and be on you every waking moment.

Tom looks at her.

YOUNG TOM

With the two of us, who in the world can stop us?

Ashley then grabs Tom's collar and drags him away.

YOUNG ASHLEY

If anyone gets in our way, they will wish they never have been born. And now we are together, if you really get me angry I kill you and leave your corpse in a salt mine after I skin you.

YOUNG TOM

Sounds great.

Then the scene is of the students at the party. The scene dissolves.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom and Dan are both silent after the story ends.

DAN POWERS

Wow, if more loves stories in movies where like that then the marriage rate would plummet.

TOM MANNING

She stole my heart Dan. I'm stuck with that woman. Though the most romantic terms I've ever heard her use regard our relationship was an unpleasant situation of mutual convenience.

DAN POWERS

Ouch, that must hurt.

TOM MANNING

Why you should consider a sexless marriage Dan, when you are married to a woman who hates affection of any kind then sex is like Christmas, it comes once a year. Of course since my approval ratings are in the forties Santa won't be coming down the chimney for a few decades.

DAN POWERS

God, I felt less worse then that friend I had in Nam who got blown in two and now is just a head in a jar.

TOM MANNING

You don't get to rotate back stateside when you are married.

They both laugh deeply.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Dan now sits in a chair in front of the desk as Tom sits behind it; they both are looking at the clock on the wall. Then Dan looks at Baxter asleep in his little bed.

DAN POWERS

Your dog reminds me of a general I knew in Nam.

Tom looks at the dog.

TOM MANNING

Want to here the moving story of how this administration came to have the ugliest dog in the White House's history?

DAN POWERS

Is it less girlie then your last story?

They both laugh as a flashback begins.

flashback

Tom, who is in casual clothing, sits in the back of a limousine looking out a window beside him. The person in the seat beside him cannot be scene.

TOM MANNING

Since the American voters just put me in the Oval Office, figured about time I do the most important thing in any President's administration. Pick a first dog.

Ashley speaks off frame.

ASHLEY MANNING

Now you can finally shut up about getting a dog.

Tom looks at her.

TOM MANNING

Thanks for letting me pick the dog honey.

ASHLEY MANNING

Why did we come to the pound, and not a pet shop.

Tom looks out the window and sees the pound, a gloomy stone building behind which is a dark foreboding sky.

TOM MANNING

This place is full of puppies, it must be the happiest place on Earth. Besides, these dogs need a home.

ASHLEY MANNING

Just pick the dog you moron.

Inside the dog pound is a room with large cages along the wall, adult dogs are in the cages and all seem sad and some whimper. At the end of the room is a black door. Then we see Tom walking past the cages with a female employee of the pound, a woman in dark clothes Catlin. He looks at the dogs as he walks past.

TOM MANNING

These dogs seem kind of bummed out.

Catlin

All these dogs need a good home Mr. President.

They stop when a male employee of the pound walks past, he holds a leash at the end of which is Baxter. They are walking towards the black door. When Tom sees the dog he begins to laugh.

TOM MANNING

That dog is so ugly he is adorable.

CATLIN

We found that old pug eating out of the trash behind the pound five days ago.

TOM MANNING

Where are they taking him?

CATLIN

To the little room where we put the dogs down.

Tom looks at Catlin.

TOM MANNING

Put down.

Tom seems to think for a moment then seems horrified. He then runs towards the male employee and grabs the leash from him. He starts to walk away with Baxter, the dog looks at the ground and whimpers. Tom is trying not to look at the dogs who look at him as he walks past them.

TOM MANNING

Please don't look at me, I can't save you.

Now Tom stands in front of the doors to the pound and holds the leash Baxter is tied to. Baxter looks away. Tom kneels down.

TOM MANNING

Always wanted a dog, but my dad and wife never would let me have one. So you are the first dog now little guy.

Then Tom removes the leash.

TOM MANNING

But no leash, I'm on one and I know they are not fun.

Baxter looks up at him and begins to wag his tale. Then they both walk towards awaiting limousine.

Ashley is still of frame. Tom gets into the limo and sits and Baxter jumps up onto his lap.

ASHLEY MANNING

Did you purposely try to get the most grotesque dog?

Tom looks at the dog and smiles.

TOM MANNING

This dog is the quintessential ugly American.

Baxter looks to Ashley.

ASHLEY MANNING

Don't look at me you ugly piece of crap.

Baxter whimpers and begins to shake.

ASHLEY MANNING

Your dog hates me.

TOM MANNING

I'm sure he will warm up to you. I think I'll call him Baxter.

Tom and Dan look at the sleeping dog which is drooling.

DAN POWERS

I feel about as good as that dog looks sometimes.

TOM MANNING

The public loves that dog. We ain't getting any prettier with age and you know this country is no beauty pageant. But no matter how ugly you are, you still look better then Baxter.

Then both continue to look at the dog.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom and Dan still sit and look at the clock.

DAN POWERS

How long before we can call it day?

TOM MANNING

We have to stay at work at least a few more hours.

Dan looks at Tom.

DAN POWERS

Since we are shooting the shit, want to hear something a little more intense then your football, bitch wife and dog story?

Tom leans back in his chair.

TOM MANNING

We about to go into the shit.

FLASHBACK

Vietnam during a bright sunny day in the seventies. Dan, who is young, is dressed in a infantry army uniform and helmet; though he has two ammo belts strapped around him he is not armed. It is a field with tall wavering grass.

Dan's narration

After seven years, I finally was finished my last day before I rotated back stateside.

There are green army helicopters flying through sky. Dan is walking towards a landed helicopter at the end of the field but its rotors are spinning. A man in a army uniform kneels in the hatch of the helicopter and is waving Dan towards him.

DAN'S NARRATION

I did not see a chopper, I saw home. Back to Howdy Doody, Perry Mason and Elvis.

Dan looks over his shoulder at the wavering grass behind him.

DAN'S NARRATION

But Charlie was everywhere.

Then two Vietcong soldiers heads pop up from the grass and look at Dan and vanish in the grass again. Dan walks quicker when the soldier in the helicopter yells.

Soldier in helicopter

Run Dan, Charlie is on your ass!

Dan looks over his shoulder and sees five Vietcong running towards him, all armed with AK-47's and rocket launchers; and scream. In slow motion Dan runs towards the helicopter as the Vietcong chase him. The soldiers continues to wave at him. Dan runs as the Vietcong gain on him.

DAN'S NARRATION

I had been in the shit for seven years, but I really didn't get scared until I was being chased by Charlie and running towards my ticket home.

Then in slow motion, Dan dives towards the helicopter as the Vietcong chase him.

INT. OVAL OFFICE moments later

Tom looks at Dan.

TOM MANNING

Did Charlie get you or did you make it back to John Wayne, the Beatles and Sonny and Cher?

DAN POWERS

They got me, I'm buried somewhere in Vietnam right now.

TOM MANNING

Sure you can talk about Nam, I know you have some issues.

Dan looks behind the President at the window, then suddenly one of the Vietcong soldier's heads pop up and he looks at Dan for a moment then lowers his head and vanishes.

DAN POWERS

I've gotten over it.

They both return to looking at the clock.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom and Dan still look at the clock.

DAN POWERS

Have not seen much of the first lady today.

TOM MANNING

She is probably in a dark room right now watching several channels of twenty four hour news trying to determine if there is anything for her to be concerned about. If something comes up that needs her attention, she'll let me know.

Then the intercom on Tom's desk buzzes and he hits the button on it.

TOM MANNING

What is it Vanessa?

VANESSA

Your economic adviser is almost at your office.

Tom looks at Dan.

TOM MANNING

Let's find out how Robert is going to help me fix the economy now.

DAN POWERS

Hope this goes better then the flag pin debacle.

The door opens and economic adviser Robert Blaine walks in. He is a elderly man with slicked back dark hair, a blue suit and glasses. He sits in the chair beside Dan.

TOM MANNING

So what do you have for me this time Rob?

Robert Blaine

I know how we can fix the economy this time.

TOM MANNING

I hope this is better then when you said we would stimulate the economy by investing in freedom.

ROBERT BLAINE

The fundamentals of the Freedom plan where sound.

Tom frowns.

TOM MANNING

We spent fifty billion dollars on flag pins Rob. Aside from that small company outside Atlanta be bought the pins from, it did not do to much for the economy.

DAN POWERS

You should have invested in higher quality flag pins Rob, the Supreme Court is still adjudicating on if the government has to pay compensation for all the people that got blood poisoning from the pins you used.

ROBERT BLAINE

We are going to invest in the most valuable resource this country has.

TOM MANNING

We are going to invest in movies or popular culture.

ROBERT BLAINE

No, we will invest in the youth of America. Within a few months, every high school in this country will have a swimming pool.

TOM MANNING

And what kind of return can this administration expect from this investment?

ROBERT BLAINE

I assure you that the dividends will be beyond measure.

Tom spins around in his chair and looks out the window.

TOM MANNING

I'll take it under advisement Rob.

Robert gets up and silently leaves the room. Tom spins around and looks at Dan.

DAN POWERS

Should we do this, should we invest in the youth of America?

Tom and Dan look at each other for a moment then break out in laughter.

TOM MANNING

We might want to. This will probably be the administration where the national credit card gets declined.

Then they both laugh deeply.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Dan looks at the clock when Tom opens a drawer on his desk and pulls out a copy of Time's magazine. Tom starts flipping through the pages. Dan looks at him.

DAN POWERS

Yesterday's issues of Times?

TOM MANNING

It is required for every head of state to read Times magazine. Or look at the pictures and read the headlines.

Tom comes to a picture of Russian President Ivan Patrova, he is a older man with dark hair and seems to be intimidating and has an eye patch. A headline beside it reads, "US Russia Stand Off over the Moldova." Tom frowns.

TOM MANNING

Guess I'll get a call from Ivan at any moment.

DAN POWERS

Why is the president of Russia going to call?

TOM MANNING

I'm about to get some blow back on the Moldova situation and getting them to join N.A.T.O.

Then a red phone on Tom's desk rings. Tom and Dan look at it.

DAN POWERS

Speak of the devil.

Tom picks up the phone, leans back in his chair and puts his feet up on the desk and speaks into the phone as he flips through the magazine.

TOM MANNING

What can America do for you Ivan?

INT. Ivan's office night

A large office with dark colors and pictures of former Russian presidents on the wall. Ivan, who seems angered and wears a black suit, sits at his desk and scowls and he speaks into the phone with a thick Russian accent.

Ivan patrova

Though I detest calling you, I need you to know there are going to be serious repercussions for this stunt you pulled in the Moldova.

Tom continues to flip through the magazine.

TOM MANNING

Sorry Ivan, now that Moldova's leader Belamuska joined N.A.T.O., well he gets to join the rest of the leaders of our alliance at our next monthly Box Social and talk about how we will one day get Russia back for the Communism thing.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan stands and raises his voice as he speaks into the phone.

IVAN PATROVA

I'm not in the mood to be amused.

Tom looks through the magazine.

TOM MANNING

Your right, I should act with the dignity and candor a man of my position should display.

Tom comes to a picture of leader Belamuska, a older man with sparse hair and in a suit taken at a rally, but in the picture his mouth is open in a circular fashion. Tom stops himself from laughing but shows the picture to Dan who breaks out in laughter. Tom then continues to flip through the Times.

TOM MANNING

Ivan, this is on topic. But did you see the picture of Belamuska in the Times, and I know you have. The one where it looks like he wants to say you no pay him twenty dollars and you get no sucky sucky.

Tom covers the receiver of the phone and he and Tom laugh deeply.

TOM MANNING

Fuck you Dan for telling me the sucky sucky story.

Tom then listens to the phone.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan seems very angry and hatefully looks at the phone then speaks into it.

IVAN PATROVA

I don't like having to deal with the clown that America elected to the White House.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

Your right. Though I was a happy clown once, then I got married.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan's eye twitches.

IVAN PATROVA

You risk making the relationship between our nations more tenuous then it has been for decades.

Tom continues to flip through the magazine.

TOM MANNING

Listen, the Moldova government made the call Ivan, I really did not have much say. But I hope we still can be friends, how about a few rounds golf this weekend.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan sits in his chair and lowly speaks into the phone.

IVAN PATROVA

Tonight I'm going to announce to my people that I am going to send several divisions of the Russian army to our border with Moldova.

Tom shrugs.

TOM MANNING

Ivan, for a guy you used to wack people for the K.G.B. I thought you would be a little nicer.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan frowns and grits his teeth.

IVAN PATROVA

You are on very dangerous ground.

Tom looks away.

TOM MANNING

Listen, it is a hectic day at the office so I have to cut our pleasant conversation short. But thanks, when my wife finds out she is going to be screaming at me until this is resolved. And you might want to join N.A.T.O.Ivan, Belamuska will love you long time.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan then slams the phone down on the receiver and curses in Russian.

Tom hangs up the phone and looks at Dan.

DAN POWERS

Sure it was a good idea fucking with him?

TOM MANNING

One, most American's think Cold War is not over and they like that I have publicly fucked with Ivan. Besides, I told him nothing he already did not know and he told me about his little counter move.

DAN POWERS

Maybe you should be worried.

TOM MANNING

Come on, nothing is more fun then a little sabre rattling. I'll do something after he makes his announcement.

Tom flips through the magazine.

TOM MANNING

When the first lady finds out, well, my life is going to be a living hell.

DAN POWERS

What are you going to do?

TOM MANNING

Clear decisive action Dan. Tomorrow, there won't be any chicken Kiev in the Congress's cafeteria, but there will be a lot of Freedom Chicken. And better get use to Freedom Caviar because Russian caviar in this country is going to be hard to find.

DAN POWERS

I hate when Monday's get of to a bad start.

TOM MANNING

Why?

DAN POWERS

It means that it is going to be a shitty week.

Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

If Belamuska ever finds out what I just said to Ivan, I am so fucking dead.

Then they both laugh.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Later in the day. Dan is looking at the clock while Tom flips through the magazine. Then Dan gets up and yawns.

DAN POWERS

Well I'm bushed, figured I'll go home to the wife that will actual still touch it.

TOM MANNING

Get some sleep, tomorrow is going to be hectic at the office.

Dan speaks as he walks towards the door.

DAN POWERS

Maybe we can actually earn the hard earned tax dollars that pay our salaries.

Tom laughs.

TOM MANNING

Good luck with this administration.

DAN POWERS

We set the bar low so every other presidential administration looks good by comparison.

Dan then leaves the room. Tom looks at Baxter who is in his bed and looking at him.

TOM MANNING

Well, time to get to the favorite part of my day.

Tom gets up and walks towards the door as Baxter follows.

INT. white house living room dusk

A large living room expensively furnished. A leather recliner is in front of a flat screen television which is off, there is a remote on recliner's arm. A metallic dinner tray is in front of the chair. The room is still when Baxter scampers in and sits beside the chair. Tom enters holding a TV dinner, sits in the recliner and puts the T.V. dinner on the tray. He then uses the remote to turn on the television and the sound of commercials fill the room. Tom looks at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

I know a TV dinner is lot very presidential, but it has the word man on its label. Makes me feel secure in my manhood.

Tom then leans over, under the recliner is a bag of chips which he picks up and puts on the tray. He looks at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

You did not see this Baxter.

Tom then picks up a fork and begins to eat his TV dinner as a spot of the eleven o'clock plays and a female anchor speaks.

News anchor

Russian president Patrova is increasing military presence on Moldova's border and protests American involvement. We will have more on this at eleven.

TOM MANNING

Well the first lady is probably on the way here.

Then another commercial plays, a woman in conservative clothing looks at the camera and speaks.

Woman on commercial

Have you been a victim of sexual harassment by the President?

Tom then freezes and looks at the television and his mouth is open as he holds the fork near his mouth.

WOMAN ON COMMERCIAL

You are not alone. You are like Gina White.

Then a young woman with brown hair and dressed like a waitress, Gina White, looks at camera and speaks.

Gina white

The President came into Denny's and when he ordered the Moon Over My Hammy, he groped me.

Then from somewhere in the white house, Ashley's voice screams out.

ASHLEY MANNING

Tom!

Tom, still frozen, looks at the closed door to the room as foot steps approach from the other side. Baxter whimpers then hides under the recliner. Tom starts to shake. Then the door opens and Ashley Manning stands at the doorway. She is in her early sixties, has a white streak in her curly brunette hair and wears and expensive dark suit with a skirt and has on high heals. Tom still shakes as she scowls at him. The she marches towards him then is standing above him as he looks up at her. She then picks up the bag of chips and bursts it open and the chips fall to the floor. He still looks at her. She then uses her hand to flip the dinner tray over, and he shakes as he looks at the fork near his mouth. She then grabs the fork away him and throws it to the floor. He then composes himself and grins.

TOM MANNING

I take it you want to talk about what was just on television.

ASHLEY MANNING

I did not just spend over thirty years helping your stupid ass get this job just so you could act like a jackass with Patrova.

TOM MANNING

Honey, I'm sure you'll tell me what to do.

ASHLEY MANNING

So you groped some Denny's waitress?

TOM MANNING

Just another groundless scandal dear. The president would only grope a waitress at one of your higher class establishments.

She leans forwards and is right in his face.

ASHLEY MANNING

I'll be up your ass until this is over. And if I ever find out you ruined or ambitions by being unfaithful to me, then I'll cut your balls off.

She then storms out of the room. Once Tom is alone, Baxter comes out of hiding and begins to eat the chips on the floor. Tom still looks at the door.

TOM MANNING

I'm going to have to sleep beside that woman tonight.

Tom looks at the television.

TOM MANNING

Though the cutting off my balls threat is not as persuasive. I don't get to use them much.

INT. presidential bedroom night

A large, expensively furnished bed room which is darkened. A large bed with a canopy over it lays beside the window. Baxter is asleep on the foot of the bed. Tom, wearing blue pajamas with a presidential seal on them, lays in the bed looking at the ceiling. Though the other side of the bed is not revealed. He turns his head and looks beside him, Ashley lays in the bed, in a dark silk nightgown, and angrily looks at him in silence. Tom rolls over onto his side and seems worried.

TOM MANNING

See you tomorrow dear.

ASHLEY MANNING

We'll be seeing a lot of each other till this is over. If you screw this up, you better sleep with one eye open.

TOM MANNING

Thanks for the advice.

She just angrily looks at him as he looks away and still seems worried. Then there is an image of the nearly full moon outside the window.

tom's dream

Tom sits behind his desk in the oval office and is alone accept for Baxter who sleeps in his bed, he is in a gray suit. Tom seems bored then starts to look at the desk begins to open drawers.

TOM MANNING

I think I left that Three Mile Bar somewhere.

Tom then finds a secret compartment in the desk opens it. Inside is a large, very old book which Tom picks up. on its cover is The Doom of America. Tom opens the book and reads it aloud.

TOM MANNING

In this book is of a prophecy revealed to the first President of the administration that would doom America.

Then Tom flips through the book and there are painted images and really ominous orchestra music begins to play. First is the image of Dan, being chased by five Vietcong. Next is a picture of Mars, but a North Korean flag is on it. Finally there is an image Tom dressed like uncle Sam and Baxter, but they are both hanging from strings that Ashley holds; in the image she is covered in shadows and her eyes glow red and she has horns. Tom looks up from the book.

TOM MANNING

Wait, I'm beginning to remember something.

Now we see the young Tom running down the field as he is chased by the opposing team's players in slow motion. But when he looks to Ashley in the bleachers, she is covered in shadows and her eyes glow red; then a bolt of lightening appears behind her. When Tom looks over his shoulder at the football players chasing him, they burly football players have glowing red eyes and are foaming at the mouth.

Tom is in the oval office again and he throws the book away and shakes his head.

TOM MANNING

That is impossible.

Then he realizes that Ashley stands before his desk, in a dark suit with skirt and frowns at him. Tom jumps back and seems scared.

TOM MANNING

Sorry honey, did not see you there.

ASHLEY MANNING

Now that you know, it is about time you met my father.

Then the rooms shakes as there is a violent earthquake and the lights go out. Baxter then guts up and approaches Ashley and growls. Then her eyes glow red and she hisses and the dog freezes like a statue and tips over. Tom watches as a shadow rises out of the floor, then it is revealed to be the devil; a towering figure with large wings, crimson skin and gigantic black horns. Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Let me just say that I have only the best intentions towards your daughter.

The devil speaks with a deep, booming voice.

the devil

Silence!

Tom shrugs.

TOM MANNING

Well, I should try and be professional when I talk with a head of state. I would like to improve relations between America and hell.

THE DEVIL

Now that you have served you purpose, we have no more need for you.

Ashley then runs at the desk and her hand plunges into his chest and she rips out his heart. He then falls to the ground and dies.

Tom wakes up suddenly, in his bed and screams. He looks around and seems worried.

TOM MANNING

Just a dream, my father in law is not the devil.

Tom lays down but when he looks to his side, he sees Ashley laying in the bed; but she has horns and looks at him with glowing eyes.

INT. PRESIDENTIAL BEDROOM NIGHT

Tom wakes up and sits up in bed and is breathing heavily. He looks around then lays down, but when he looks beside himself he sees Ashley, awake and looking angrily at him. He rolls onto his side and looks away from her.

TOM MANNING

Honey, would it be bad for our political ambitions if I saw I therapist.

He then looks at the window for a few moments and closes his eyes.

EXT. WHITE HOUSE morning

The group of protesters outside the front gates of the white house is larger. It is a clear day over the white house.

INT. WHITE HOUSE HALLWAY MOMENTS LATER

Tom and Ashley, both in suits, walk towards the camera as members of the administration walk past.

TOM MANNING

Another exciting day in the Manning administration.

Ashley hits him upside the head and she looks at him angrily.

ASHLEY MANNING

If you blow this you idiot it will cost us a second term. So I'll be on you like the plague, and you won't always know when I'm watching.

TOM MANNING

Can't one term be enough, so we can retire and relax.

She stops and he halts and they look at each other. She kicks him in the shin and he recoils in pain.

ASHLEY MANNING

You better not fuck this up like you did during your trip to Japan.

Tom looks at her.

TOM MANNING

What are you talking about?

flashback

A long table which Tom and Ashley sit at, beside them is Japanese Prime Minister Yamato; an older man in a suit who seems dignified. Behind the Prime Minister is a Japanese man in a suit, his translator. Tom looks at Yamato and grins.

TOM MANNING

So who would win in a fight, Godzilla or King Kong?

The translator looks at Tom in mute silence. Tom looks to Ashley.

TOM MANNING

I take it from the fact Yamato's translator just decided to not translate what I just said, it could have been offensive.

Ashley leans towards him and whispers.

ASHLEY MANNING

Just smile for the cameras and stuff you face.

Then waiters approach the table and place plates on them. Tom looks at the plate, on it is Sushi and Tom looks at the uncooked fish. Tom then looks at a waiter.

TOM MANNING

Could you take mine back, the chef undercooked my fish.

Ashley whispers to him again.

ASHLEY MANNING

Just eat the fish or you'll be sorry.

Tom looks at the sushi for a moment then uses a fork to eat some. He then seems to get ill and turns to Yamato. Then there is an image of Tom vomiting towards the camera.

Tom and Ashley are walking towards the camera again.

TOM MANNING

I guess the old saying is not true, the Japanese Prime Minister can get struck twice by the vomit of an American president.

ASHLEY MANNING

That is why I make all the important decisions.

TOM MANNING

Well, you been a lot of help. Like the time we where on the Talk.

flashback

It is a stage of a day time talk show in front of a studio audience called the Talk in front of cameras. On the stage are several chairs. Tom and Ashley sit in the middle and a bunch of older women in suits surround them. Then one of the women, Sandra Booth, looks at Tom and speaks.

Sandra booth

I'm sure my audience is anxious to get to know more about our President.

Ashley speaks up.

ASHLEY MANNING

Before he talks about himself, I would like to talk to that film maker who made that documentary critical of my husband, Mitch Mendolson.

She looks at the camera directly, frowns and speaks.

ASHLEY MANNING

Hope you like being a fat slob with no life who is trying to get attention by riding on the coat tails of my husband.

Now we see a large, expensively decorated room somewhere in Hollywood. Mitch Mendolson, a overweight man in ordinary clothes and a baseball cap, looks at Ashley's image on the television as the image looks right at him. He is frozen in place, and holds a submarine sandwich which is half eaten.

ASHLEY MANNING

Why don't you invest in liposuction or getting or stomach stapled.

He looks at the television then at the sub.

Tom sits with Ashley in the studio and everyone looks mutely at her, including Tom. He then looks at the audience.

TOM MANNING

Sorry, the First Lady just wants to be a good wife.

Everyone continues to look at her in silence.

Tom and Ashley walk towards the camera.

TOM MANNING

Old Mitch does not make documentaries anymore.

ASHLEY MANNING

Get these incompetent buffoons who run this administration into the conference room. We are having a meeting.

TOM MANNING

Can I just say the guys love it when you come to a meeting.

ASHLEY MANNING

I'm not in the mood today Tom. If this erupts into a serious situation, then you better go into the witness relocation program.

TOM MANNING

Of course.

They continue to walk towards the camera.

INT. white house conference room later

A large room with a long table. Tom sits in the middle seat. At the table are Dan, Paul, Kevin and General Butler. They are all silent and seem nervous accept for Butler who is leaning back in his chair and seems to think. Then there is an image of Ashley sitting in a chair in the corner and angrily looks at Tom. Tom looks at his people.

TOM MANNING

Well, guess we better resolve this Russia situation.

He looks at Dan.

TOM MANNING

Does the Sectary of Defense have any suggestions?

Dan looks at Ashley who seems even angrier.

DAN POWERS

I would give you some advice but the person who runs this administration probably does not want to hear it.

TOM MANNING

Smart think Dan.

Then Paul begins to ramble.

PAUL FREEMAN

This might be relevant to the current situation. The morning when Khrushchev intimidated the entire united nations by slamming his shoe on his desk. I think I had french toast and a glass of milk. The fair on the bus was seven cents I think.

Tom looks at Ashley who know is gritting her teeth. Tom looks to Paul.

TOM MANNING

Perhaps you should save your knowledge when we really need it Paul.

Tom looks to Kevin.

TOM MANNING

Kevin, what does our intelligence people have to say about this?

Kevin looks at Tom.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Do you know what that North Korean spy will do to me if I finds out I've been giving disinformation. They are going to find my headless corpse floating in the Potomac.

Tom looks away.

TOM MANNING

That really is not adding much to the conference Kevin.

Tom sighs and looks at Butler.

TOM MANNING

What does my head general have to say?

Butler grins.

GENERAL BUTLER

We have the advantage, if Ivan wants to get into a pissing contest then we are ready to crush him.

TOM MANNING

Butler, good idea but if me and Ivan start pissing into each others pools, then both our pools might get saturated with urine.

Then they all look at Ashley who angrily looks at him. Tom stares mutely at her.

TOM MANNING

Does the first lady have an ideas?

ASHLEY MANNING

Scare Ivan out of this maneuver, move enough of our military on the other side of the border and let him know that if he thinks he can intimidate us then he will lose more then he can imagine.

TOM MANNING

Honey, Ivan really positioned himself as a militarily strong leader and he may call our bluff.

ASHLEY MANNING

Sounds like you think I am giving you choice Tom.

Dan looks at Tom then salutes.

DAN POWERS

Just thought the man who actually runs this country needs to be saluted. Nice to see that the President calls the shot.

Ashley is scowling at all of them.

TOM MANNING

Not the best time for brevity Dan.

Ashley gets up.

ASHLEY MANNING

The president will do what his wife suggested, because he knows what will happen if doesn't.

She then walks out of the room, all the men accept Butler look at the door.

TOM MANNING

OK, guess the Moldova situation has been resolved guys. Good work.

DAN POWERS

She might be right, scare Ivan from massing his forces near the border. Just if this situation goes worst case scenario, well then the shit will fan.

TOM MANNING

Then we all get splattered with shit Dan.

Paul then begins to ramble.

PAUL FREEMAN

I remember the day World War Two ended, I had a stack of flapjacks. The bus fair was three cents if I remember correctly.

Tom buries his head into his arms on the desk. Dan looks at him.

DAN POWERS

Problem Mr. President?

TOM MANNING

If the Washington Post ever gets wind of what is going on in the Manning administration, I am so impeached.

DAN POWERS

I don't think you can get impeached for being incompetent at your job.

TOM MANNING

For the sake of all our careers you better be right Dan.

Then there is silence in the room.

INT. WHITE HOUSE HALLWAY later

Tom and Dan are walking towards the camera.

TOM MANNING

Another conference meeting went spectacularly.

DAN POWERS

Seems to be a shrinking number of people at our conference meetings.

TOM MANNING

You guys are my inner circle. My administration would lose respect for me if they saw what just happened. Paul is to busy talking about breakfast and bus fair to notice my marriage situation. Kevin is to paranoid about getting killed to notice. And Butler is to busy thinking about mega death to realize anything else on Earth exists other then explosions and gunfire.

DAN POWERS

And I guess since you think we are buddies I won't say anything.

TOM MANNING

I think you indicated that you are about to say something.

DAN POWERS

Good thing you are the President Tom, I would lose respect for a man who lets his wife wear the pants in a relationship. But I can respect you because your my boss, even though who should be wearing a skirt.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Dan.

DAN POWERS

What are you going to do?

TOM MANNING

Just spend the day alone in my office.

DAN POWERS

So you can think?

TOM MANNING

The first lady right now is monitoring ever news channel on the planet right now and as soon as this situation gets worse she'll march into my office and start barking at me, then will start yelling if I don't do what she says.

DAN POWERS

Ever think of telling her to honor and obey?

TOM MANNING

I could do that, but they'll probably find my body the next day in a landfill.

Dan stops and laughs as Tom walks on.

DAN POWERS

Well, at least you still have a sense of humor Tom.

TOM MANNING

Dan, I could tell you I'm joking but you still would think that she might really kill me.

Tom stops and looks back at him.

TOM MANNING

Besides, she thinks I am fucking around.

DAN POWERS

Are you?

TOM MANNING

Honestly, no.

DAN POWERS

Faithful because you are scared of her?

Tom walks away and speaks.

TOM MANNING

Partly that, and the fact I love her Dan.

Dan watches him walk away.

DAN POWERS

Tom would probably be a poster boy for why love is sometimes not a good thing.

Dan then walks away and laughs.

DAN POWERS

But I've worked in since town for more then three decades, and this is how I cap it off.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom sits behind his desk as he looks at the door in silence for awhile. Baxter is laying in his bed.

TOM MANNING

I thought when I got into office she would lighten up a little.

Tom buries his head into his arms on his desk.

TOM MANNING

I only kept with this career thing to make her happy. But she does not have a happy mode, just the angry and angrier setting.

Tom then looks at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

After I retire then maybe she can say I sort of like you Tom. Maybe she might actually show some affection and hold me.

Baxter tilts his head and grunts.

TOM MANNING

don't judge me Baxter, a man needs to be held once in awhile to.

Tom looks at the door.

TOM MANNING

Over thirty years and about as affectionate she can get is kicking me in the shin or hitting me upside the head.

Tom lowers his head.

TOM MANNING

I liked her in the beginning Baxter because that woman is like a roller coaster, scary but also exciting.

He looks at the dog.

TOM MANNING

But at least this ride use to have its ups to help me get past the downs. But since I got into office it has been mostly downs. Now this ride is more like a haunted house with a really scary woman popping out constantly and scaring the hell out of you.

Tom looks towards the door.

TOM MANNING

I wish I was a dog Baxter, at least you don't have to get your heart broken.

Then Baxter begins to whimper.

flashback

A highway near Washington that cuts through the country side. Then an old, beaten up truck parks on the side of the road. The passenger door opens and Baxter jumps out from the truck and walks along the side of the road and begins to urinate. Then the truck speeds away as the man inside yells.

man in truck

Hope you can run you ugly pug faced dog!

Baxter turns then begins to run after the truck but stops once it vanishes in traffic. Baxter then whimpers and lays on the road, and seems sad.

Tom looks at the dog.

TOM MANNING

Must be easy being a dog, a lot easier then being married to my wife.

He then looks at the door.

TOM MANNING

Hopefully it will be a peaceful day and all that will happen is a few people will come into my office and give me advice.

Tom then frowns.

TOM MANNING

or something will happen and this situation with Ivan will escalate into a crisis; and then my wife will constantly be in here and ordering me around like a underlying.

Tom looks at the dog again.

TOM MANNING

I can't wait till we are old a gray and do nothing but sit on the porch of our home in Vermont together in rocking chairs looking at the horizon in silence.

Baxter looks at him as slobber drools out of his mouth.

TOM MANNING

Don't worry, you'll be there Baxter.

Tom looks at the door.

TOM MANNING

After you pass away, I'm having you stuffed so I can keep you around. I need someone in this family who actually likes me.

He continues to look at the door in silence.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom sits at his desk and looks blankly at the door. The intercom on his desk buzzes and he seems startled. He hits the button on it.

TOM MANNING

Vanessa, this intercom is starting to get on my nerves.

VANESSA

Don't worry Mr. President, you told me to knock on the door if it is your wife.

TOM MANNING

So why are you interrupting me when I need some silent time.

VANESSA

Science adviser Powell is on his way to your office, he has something covered by a sheet and Butler is with him.

TOM MANNING

Tell them to come in.

Tom leans back in his chair and frowns.

TOM MANNING

I don't mind my science guy, smartest guy in the building.

Tom then grunts.

TOM MANNING

But why is Butler with the guy in this administration who understands science.

Then the door opens and two men walk in. Science adviser Nelson Powell, a older black man of color with glasses and in a lab coat is pushing a small cart of wheels with a sheet covering something on it. Butler follows and is smiling.

TOM MANNING

OK, what do you guys need?

Nelson looks at him and smiles.

Nelson POWELL

I remember what you said about America being the standard barer in the exploration of space.

TOM MANNING

Since the general is with you during this visit, something tells me that this will be about mostly exploration.

NELSON POWELL

I did a little research into this governments former programs and found something that will gets us to Jupiter within ten years.

TOM MANNING

You know I like space Nelson.

Nelson then pulls away the sheet and on the cart is a large model, it is a model of a bulky spacecraft with a large shield like part on its back, but it is covered with artillery cannons and missile launchers.

TOM MANNING

What am I looking at?

NELSON POWELL

The Pegasus, it will use the force of thousands of nuclear detonations to get a craft the size of the Empire State Building into orbit.

TOM MANNING

I guess we can thank Butler for the artillery and missiles.

NELSON POWELL

Butler and the pentagon where very insistent on those additions to the craft.

TOM MANNING

So Butler, why did you involved with Nelson's pipe dream?

Butler grins.

GENERAL BUTLER

Once this in orbit, well we will be able to attack any adversary with nuclear artillery and weapons; and if they attack the craft can hide behind the shield thing. Ivan one mess with America if we come at him with one of these.

TOM MANNING

Yes, soon Ivan will realize that this administration will possess a armed and completely functional battle station.

GENERAL BUTLER

Now you are talking sense.

Then one of the missiles on the model launches propelled by a spring and it hits Tom in the face. He just frowns as he looks at the model.

TOM MANNING

Does this work Nelson?

Nelson nods.

NELSON POWELL

It crunched all the numbers and it should work. Though if we launch it the fallout with kill five out of every hundred people on Earth.

TOM MANNING

So we can make great strides in space exploration with this ship, though it will just kill five percent of the people who paid for it.

NELSON POWELL

We might get that down to two percent Mr. President.

TOM MANNING

Thanks for the presentation guys. I'll take the world destroying Death Star suggestion under advisement.

GENERAL BUTLER

I know you will do what is right and soon America will have twenty of these things orbiting the planet for freedom.

TOM MANNING

I'm guessing, but you are a hawk Butler.

GENERAL BUTLER

Maybe, if that hawk was armed with air to surface missiles Mr. President.

TOM MANNING

Can you guys take the Pegasus out of my office, I'm sort of busy with this Russia thing.

They both silently leave the office as Tom watches. Once Tom is alone, he looks at the dog.

TOM MANNING

Tuesday started of bad, but now Butler is getting chummy with Nelson.

Tom looks at the door.

TOM MANNING

I won't have to worry about a second term, with Butler and Nelson working together I'm sure this administration would have blown up the sun before we have to worry about getting votes.

Tom leans back and grunts.

TOM MANNING

Why can't it be yesterday when I could laugh?

Tom looks at the dog.

TOM MANNING

When it rains it tends to pour. And I'm about to get drenched.

Tom then swivels around in his chair and looks out the windows of the office at the city.

TOM MANNING

Sometimes I wish I could have been the coke fiend twin brother instead of the responsible one Baxter. This job is going to give me a massive coronary one of these days.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom is still looking out the window when the intercom on his desk buzzes and he swivels around and hits the button on it.

TOM MANNING

If this does not involve super weapons in space I'm busy.

VANESSA

Kevin is about to come into your office, he looks more paranoid then usual.

TOM MANNING

Well, show 007 into my office.

Tom then leans back and Kevin storms in a marches towards the desk and scowls at Tom.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Thanks Tom, when they find my body with the head and hands cut off so I can't be identified, I guess I can thank you.

TOM MANNING

Problem Kevin.

Kevin puts down his hands on the desk and raises his voice.

KEVIN PATTERSON

My North Korean contact just left a message on my cell phone, he said I was either an idiot or I was giving disinformation to him, then there was a lot of swearing in North Korean.

TOM MANNING

Well, if this gig is up, then you can hide in your office in Langley.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Do you know how much an in ground pool costs Tom. I agreed that your plan would probably work since Kim Jung would love a director of the C.I.A. who was selling secrets. But could you not come up with better disinformation.

TOM MANNING

Sorry, I thought we could use a little humor at work. But we'll have our people protect you.

Kevin stands upwards and scowls at Tom.

KEVIN PATTERSON

You don't understand the intelligence field Tom. I could be eighty taking a piss and that North Korean might pop out from behind the shower curtains and strangling me with a piano wire.

TOM MANNING

So maybe you should move somewhere in go into hiding.

KEVIN PATTERSON

If I don't get my kids a god damn in ground pool by next summer then they will treat my like shit. And you are the only superior I've ever worked for who actually let me keep the money.

TOM MANNING

What will you do Kevin.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Hope I can patch things up with this fucking guy so he won't kill me and so I can get a fucking pool.

TOM MANNING

Kevin, you are not asking me what to do, just getting very loud.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Wish all I had to worry about was someone being loud, but no, I get to worry about that North Korean popping out of nowhere and killing me.

Kevin walks towards the doors but stops and looks back.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Now I am going to have to live in the God damn white house till I smooth this over because my contact is probably right now figuring out how to strangle me with piano wire. Thanks Mr. President, thanks a fucking lot.

He then leaves and slams the door. Tom looks at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

Believe it or not I know how he feels. Constantly worrying about a certain someone popping out of nowhere and killing me.

Tom looks at the door.

TOM MANNING

But at least he can hide in the White House, my potential killer might have full run of the place.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

OK, things are going about as well as can be expected.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom leans back in his chair and looks at the door. Then there is a knock on the door. Tom looks away and mutters.

TOM MANNING

I hate being me right now.

Then the door opens and Ashley slowly walks in, stands before the desk and scowls at Tom. He looks at her and grins.

TOM MANNING

Is there something with the current Ivan fiasco?

She just looks at him anger.

TOM MANNING

Please say something.

ASHLEY MANNING

Good that someone in this arrangement has an I.Q. for a hundred.

TOM MANNING

Well, you don't need to have a high I.Q. to be president dear.

ASHLEY MANNING

I was monitoring the internet.

TOM MANNING

With also monitoring over twelve twenty four hour news channels, I surprised you had the time.

ASHLEY MANNING

Then I kind some piss ant web sight called The Information Conflict threatening this administration.

TOM MANNING

Well like I've tried to tell you, in this country we still believe in the Freedom of speech for some reason.

ASHLEY MANNING

That is why I make all the decisions Tom, you are a push over that does not understand that in the jungle you either eat others or get eaten.

TOM MANNING

How did you handle this particular threat to our career.

ASHLEY MANNING

I called this moron up on his internet show.

flashback

A small darkened set in a small studio and a man, Andrew Jackson, sits behind the desk and looks at the camera. He is a overweight man in a t-shirt and talks loudly.

Andrew Jackson

Unlike all the other media outlets in this country, The Information Conflict is not a puppet of the federal government. President Manning is finally going to succeed at destroying the bill of rights and bring fascism to this country. But when he comes for me with his thugs and half human, half gorilla hybrids trained to eat human flesh; well I got a magnum under my desk, a rifle in our snack room, and a fifty caliber rifle in the bathroom. Come get me scum.

Andrew settles down.

ANDREW JACKSON

Now we can take some calls and talk about just how dark the future of America is.

He then looks to the side and speaks.

ANDREW JACKSON

Ashley from Washington D.C., you are on the Information Conflict.

The Ashley voice speaks from a speaker.

ASHLEY MANNING

Who do you think you are?

Andrew raises his fist.

ANDREW JACKSON

I'm the top banana of the second American revolution.

Ashley raises her voice.

ASHLEY MANNING

Oh, I thought you where some Texan sack of shit who likes to wear a tin foil hat and jerk off while reading guns and ammo who thins he isn't a piss ant because he entertains the morons who actually watch Information Conflict.

ANDREW JACKSON

Who are you lady, I'm Andrew Jackson, the host of Information Conflict.

ASHLEY MANNING

I married to the other dip shit who runs this country.

Andrew laughs.

ANDREW JACKSON

Right, I'm sure you are the first lady you crazy bitch.

There is a moment of silence when Ashley speaks enraged.

ASHLEY MANNING

For threatening my husbands career, I was just going to constantly call your show and remind you that you are some unattractive piece of crap who might have been worth screwing in High School but now collects guns to compensate for his penis which is the size of an ant's dick. But for the bitch comment, it is not guns you need but a bullet proof vest. You just opened you fat, pathetic mouth about the wrong President.

Then there is the sound of Ashley hanging up the phone. Andrew looks at the camera and seems speechless, then weakly speaks.

ANDREW JACKSON

I'm Andrew Jackson and this The Information Conflict.

Tom looks blankly at Ashley.

TOM MANNING

Well, you probably ease his fears about my administration becoming oppressive.

ASHLEY MANNING

His show has at least a thousand viewers a day.

TOM MANNING

Thanks, that could have been a problem for the administration.

Ashley folds her arms across her chest and scowls at him.

ASHLEY MANNING

All you have to do is smile for the cameras and try not to fuck this up, I not only have to be up your ass but the ass of this entire country.

TOM MANNING

I'm sure the average American appreciates your commitment to democracy honey.

ASHLEY MANNING

We just need each other for our careers, you are the failed football player who got to become President because I have been in charge for the past thirty years, if it was not for me you would be selling cheeseburgers at some restaurant for slacked jawed losers.

Tom looks away.

TOM MANNING

Maybe, my dad would not spare a dime on my ass because my twins brother needs it for coke and strippers.

Ashley walks towards the doors and Tom looks on.

ASHLEY MANNING

Like I told your dad that one time we met during our wedding reception that night, you are my property now Tom. I own you and your father can't say shit about it because he is some fossil.

TOM MANNING

Dear, your wedding toast had to be the most romantic toast in the history of marriage.

She stops at the door and looks over her shoulder at him.

ASHLEY MANNING

We are just stuck working together for the rest of our lives, but don't think this is going to ever be pleasant. Now go back to pretending to run your administration full of idiots and morons.

She then walks out the door. Tom looks at the door for a moment then at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

Why I love that woman Baxter, not many wives would destroy their husbands rivals for his career.

Baxter tilts his head and grunts.

TOM MANNING

What Baxter, is marriage supposed to be fun.

Tom looks at the door again.

TOM MANNING

Another reason why I like that woman, after her wedding toast, well I never got invited to my parents annual Christmas party again. My family does not like her much.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

Or me either for that fact.

INT. WHITE HOUSE HALLWAY LATER

Paul stands alone in front of a portrait of Johnson and seems to look of into the distance. Then Dan walks up, drinking from a paper cup of water and stands beside Paul.

DAN POWERS

How how you keeping busy today Paul?

Paul lowers his head.

PAUL FREEMAN

Just not trying to let the rambling old man embarrass this administration.

Dan shrugs.

DAN POWERS

You might have not noticed, but with some of the people we have in this administration, the rambling old man is probably the most sensible guy we have.

Paul looks at Dan.

PAUL FREEMAN

You are still young Dan.

Dan looks at Paul.

DAN POWERS

I was around in the time of CCR, the early Rolling Stones and the Brady Bunch Paul. People who are young don't know what any of that stuff is these days.

PAUL FREEMAN

I should have retired.

DAN POWERS

A lot of people in this place should retire, the guy who remembers all the most crucial events that ever happened in this place deserves a salary.

PAUL FREEMAN

What purpose do I serve here rather then to bore people with my memories of the past.

DAN POWERS

This is getting depressing Paul, since we might get into a shit storm possibly, why don't you tell me about the day World War 2 broke out.

Paul looks at Dan and begins to ramble.

PAUL FREEMAN

That morning I had french toast and eggs over easy, then I spent the morning at the local cinema; a full day of movies just cost you four cents.

DAN POWERS

What movie did you see?

PAUL FREEMAN

A series of silent films.

DAN POWERS

Well, this culture went down the toilet around the same time movies went to talkies, so tell me about it.

PAUL FREEMAN

Films by a great silent film actor who I think people called the tramp. He was in the Gold Rush.

Dan takes a sip of water.

DAN POWERS

Does the tramp have a real name?

PAUL FREEMAN

Chaplin, though I forget his first name Mr. Powers.

DAN POWERS

One Paul, you are my superior so forget using Mr., and you seem to be able to remember exact details. So please tell me this actors name.

Dan looks down the hallway towards and corner as he drinks from the paper cup. Paul seems to think then looks at Dan.

PAUL FREEMAN

I believe his name was Charlie Chaplin.

As soon as paul says Charlie, Dan sees a Vietcong momentarily lean out from behind the corner and look at him. Dan seems afraid.

DAN POWERS

What else could you tell me about that day?

PAUL FREEMAN

Well after I saw the Charlie Chaplin film, I decided to take the bus to the Jefferson memorial to be inspired.

When Paul says Charlie again, Dan looks out as a Vietcong with a rocket launcher over his shoulder, walks out from behind a corner and walks across the hallway and looks at Dan. The paper cup in his hand shakes and the water in it flies out.

PAUL FREEMAN

But Charlie Chaplin was a great actor, I could always respect Charlies acting talents.

Dan looks towards the end of the hallway behind him, landed at the end of the hall is a green military helicopter, a soldier in the hatch is waving Dan towards him. Dan then walks away down another hallway but speaks.

DAN POWERS

I think the President needs to advice from his secretary of defense so I'll see you around Paul. And don't feel to bad about how you remember the past like it was yesterday. You just remember the past in exact detail.

Dan looks over his shoulder at Paul, a Vietcong leans out from behind Paul and looks at Dan then vanishes behind the Vice President. Dan speaks loudly as he quickly walks away.

DAN POWERS

At least the past does not follow you everywhere.

Then Dan runs down the hallway.

Tom leans back in his chair with his feet on his desk and Baxter sleeps in his bed. Tom seems a little irritated when the door opens and Dan walks in and closes the door behind him. He then looks nervously at Tom.

DAN POWERS

Sorry I barged in.

TOM MANNING

You know the rules of this administration. If it is the first lady my secretary knocks on the door. If it is a remember of this administration and I to act like I'm competent or pretend to respect their advice, my secretary buzzes me on the intercom. If it is my Secretary of Defense Dan the man, then comes walk right in.

Dan looks at the door behind him and seems worried.

DAN POWERS

Sorry, the shit is getting a little thick out there.

TOM MANNING

The shit is not much better in my office Dan.

Dan looks at him.

DAN POWERS

You looked a little depressed when you left the conference this morning. Figured I could get you to laugh about just how messed up your situation is.

TOM MANNING

Why I gave you the job Dan, when we talked the first time we met at that cocktail party you said I needed to really get my balls out of my wife's purse.

DAN POWERS

When she grabbed the plate of shrimp you where eating and she throw it at your head.

TOM MANNING

Tom, when she is unhappy because there is a potential crisis I can live with it because at least she talks mostly business, but now that she thinks I groped some waitress and Denny's, well now she will devote every waking moment to making me feel like her puppet who she hates.

DAN POWERS

Maybe you two should go to marriage counseling Tom.

TOM MANNING

We did five years ago, she figured it would be good for our political ambitions, it lasted one session.

DAN POWERS

I looking forward to where this goes Tom.

TOM MANNING

When the shrink told her that she needed to be more open with her feelings and try and be half of a marriage based upon mutual respect and affection, well she yelled that she did not need advice from some New Age hippy bald headed asshole who could only get a degree in psychiatry good enough so he could try and fixed hopeless marriages and if he knew what was good for him he would mind his own fucking business.

Dan laughs.

DAN POWERS

Well, he asked her to be open with her feelings; that woman being open with her feelings is not good for any of the people around her.

TOM MANNING

I can take being treated like a worthless sack of crap by my wife, I just can't believe she thinks I screwed on her. My life is going to be painful till I prove to her that I did grope some waitress.

DAN POWERS

If you did not do it, then what do you have to worry about.

TOM MANNING

I'm really worried Dan.

EXT. SIDEWALK OF D.C. LATER

A sidewalk in front of the Smithsonian Museum. It is later in the day and pedestrians walk past a man in a trench coat, and sunglasses. He seems to try and avoid looking at the people walking past. It is former President Rockwell, who seems to be waiting.

ROCKWELL

Where is this guy, I hate being amongst the American public.

An adult man stops and looks at him, the man seems shocked.

MAN ON SIDEWALK

Did you just say you hating being amongst Americans President Rockwell.

Rockwell frowns at him.

ROCKWELL

A couple of things. One, you might have guessed from the get up that I'm trying to go unnoticed. Two, I have some important business to attend to and really don't have the time to talk to a follow American. And three, since the average American voted me out of my office I can tell you to fuck off because I don't like the American voters so much anymore.

The man seems speechless and walks away. Then a young man in shorts and wearing a t-shirt with a pot leaf on it, approaches Rockwell from behind.

Young man in t-shirt

Since you showed up I guess you are interested in what I told you I have.

Rockwell turns and frowns at the young man.

ROCKWELL

I surmise from the t-shirt that this is going to really disappointing me.

the young man reaches into a pocket of his shorts and pulls out a small audio recorder. Rockwell seems unhappy as he looks at the device.

ROCKWELL

Did some pot head hippy ask me hear just so I can listen to music about drinking bong water and lighting up a dubie.

YOUNG MAN IN T-SHIRT

Listen for yourself.

Rockwell grabs the recorder and hits a play button. It is the voice of two people talking, one is the voice of a female Hooter's waitress and the other is the voice of a man who sounds like Tom, a man who sounds extremely intoxicated.

Hooter's waitress

Come on, I really can't have you calling me at home; my boyfriend might here us.

Tom's voice

Come on baby, you had the nicest rack at Hooters and you let me touch you breasts when I slipped you twenty bucks, it is meant to be.

HOOTER'S WAITRESS

Are you sure we are right for each other?

TOM'S VOICE

I'm the president of the United States so you'll be happy with me in the white house.

HOOTER'S WAITRESS

And I'll be the first lady after you leave your wife.

TOM'S VOICE

Don't smother me baby. First I bang you behind your boyfriends back then you get to move into the white house.

HOOTER'S WAITRESS

I love you Tom Manning.

TOM'S VOICE

It is Mr. President to you baby. And we'll be doing it a lot.

Rockwell turns off the recorder and grins widely.

ROCKWELL

I told you Manning that you fucked with the wrong guy, now me and the rest of the right are going to destroy your liberal ass. One thing you don't do in this town in screw around on your wife and be stupid enough to get caught.

Rockwell walks away as the young man watches then raises his voice.

YOUNG MAN IN T-SHIRT

What about my fifty thousand dollars?

Rockwell stops and looks back at him.

ROCKWELL

Guess all those bong hits did not even leave you with enough functioning brains cells to realize that in a shady transaction, well you should have gotten the money before you gave me the tape.

Rockwell walks away and the young man yells.

YOUNG MAN IN T-SHIRT

That is not fair.

ROCKWELL

Tell the only person in this town who cares, your poor mother who son won't move out because he will never amount to anything other then being a pot head, hippy asshole.

The young man turns and walks away in the opposite direction and mutters to himself.

YOUNG MAN IN T-SHIRT

Why did I vote for Rockwell, Manning probably would have paid me. I guess you shouldn't vote based on the fact you saw a picture of one of the candidates and you where baked and you voted for him because you thought he was John Wayne.

The young man turns and looks at Rockwell walk away.

YOUNG MAN IN T-SHIRT

I wish John Wayne was president, maybe then this country would not be going down the shitter.

Then he walks away.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Later in the day. Baxter is asleep and his paws are up in the air. Tom sits behind the desk and Dan sits in front of it and they both look at the clock.

DAN POWERS

Got any plans for tonight?

Tom looks away and sighs.

TOM MANNING

Hide from my wife until I have to sleep beside her.

Then there is a knock on the door. They both look at the door.

DAN POWERS

I'll try not to laugh because this is going to be hilarious.

Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Dan.

They both return to looking at the door. The is the sound of slow ominous footsteps on the other side getting closer.

DAN POWERS

Honestly Tom, right now it feels like Jason Vorhees is about to walk through that door.

The footsteps stop and there is a moment of silence as they both look at the door. The Ashley, seeming irritated, walks through the door and marches towards the desk. She looks at Tom while he grins. Dan looks away.

TOM MANNING

Can I help you with something honey?

She is silent for a moment.

ASHLEY MANNING

I told you that I would handle any possible threat to your career ambitions.

TOM MANNING

I think someone left a unflattering comment on a You tube message board about me. I think that needs your attention.

She then slams her hands down on the desk.

ASHLEY MANNING

Right now the assholes in your administration who probably are not smart enough to tie their own shoes are threatening your career.

Dan now looks at Tom. Tom squeezes the bridge of his nose as she scowls at him.

TOM MANNING

Dear, can you take it easy on the guys?

ASHLEY MANNING

Get the rest of your jackass buddies and meet me in the conference room.

Tom looks at her blankly.

TOM MANNING

I can only handle one conference and day.

She then walks towards the door but stops in front of it a look back.

ASHLEY MANNING

Be there in ten minutes or all you are going to have your pictures on milk cartons tomorrow.

She then walks out and slams the door. Tom and Dan look at each other.

DAN POWERS

This is going to be brutal.

TOM MANNING

You and the guys should be scared. Now apparently my wife has determined my administration to be a threat to my career.

They both look at the door.

INT. WHITE HOUSE CONFERENCE ROOM LATER

Ashley sits in the corner and angrily looks at Tom. Tom, Dan, Paul, General Butler, and Kevin sit behind the long table and all look at her accept Butler and Paul.

TOM MANNING

Honey, I'm guessing you would like to open the meeting.

She gets up and speaks as she walks towards the table.

ASHLEY MANNING

I will do anything to help my husband in his ambitions.

She then stops, looks at them and raises her voice.

ASHLEY MANNING

Now my husband and the rest of the dip shits in his administration are in his way.

TOM MANNING

I glad this is all about me.

Paul then begins to ramble.

PAUL freeman

On the morning of the Bay of Pigs, a quarter could get you two chocolate bars, and baseball cards and a stick of gum.

Ashely scowls at Paul and snaps her fingers and he looks at her.

ASHLEY MANNING

We are not here to talk about what a quarter who buy you in the Jurassic period!

Paul begins to shake, gets up and walks quickly towards the door.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Paul, we'll call it a day.

Ashley looks at Tom.

ASHLEY MANNING

Now I'm calling the shots for for the President and his idiot administration.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

So now you'll be up all our asses?

Ashley folds her arms across her chest and nods.

ASHLEY MANNING

Smartest thing you ever said Tom.

Butler leans back in his chair and grins.

GENERAL BUTLER

You don't seem like you have nerve to make the decisions that need to be made, leave that to us Hawks.

Ashley scowls at him and raises her voice.

ASHLEY MANNING

You might want to fly away before I rip your wings off!

Butler looks at Tom. Tom looks at him momentarily then looks away.

TOM MANNING

I'm not sure I want the top guy in the Pentagon to be a wingless hawk.

Ashley looks at Tom and is silent for a moment.

ASHLEY MANNING

It occurred to me that when this administration is facing a crisis you jerk offs have been doing nothing.

TOM MANNING

Actually, today Nelson and Butler had a very interesting idea how I could win the space race by potentially killing a fraction of everybody on Earth.

She walks towards the door slowly and speaks while her back is to them.

ASHLEY MANNING

I call the shots from now on and if you all don't like it you better look over your shoulder for the rest of your life.

She then walks out the door and slams it. They all look at Tom who still looks at the door. Then Dan salutes.

DAN POWERS

You truly are the leader of the free world.

TOM MANNING

At ease Dan.

Dan stops saluting. Then they all look at the door.

DAN POWERS

Tom, you really need to stand up to your wife.

They all look at the door in silence.

TOM'S DREAM

The oval office during day. Tom and Baxter stand before the windows to the back of the office and look out at the city. Tom seems to think.

TOM MANNING

Maybe Dan is right, I need to stand up for myself.

After a few moments music begins, orchestra music off mostly trumpets. A musical number begins and Tom looks at Baxter and sings.

Tom singing

Even though I am risking my life, I am going to stand up to the wife.

Then Tom and Baxter march towards the door slowly.

TOM Singing

Baxter I know what to do, today I will tame the shrew.

Now Tom marches down a hallway slowly towards the camera, behind him are secret service agents following, dancing and doing lots of pirouettes. Then they sing in unison.

administration singing

For this man we would give our life, we will stand up to his wife.

They march for a few moments when Dan marches into frame and marches towards the camera beside Tom.

DAN singing

Charlie might have blown me away, of her I'm more afraid.

Administration SINGING

Even though we are risking our life, we will stand to his wife.

Then Paul marches into frame and marches beside Tom.

paul singing

I know what I will do today, say what a quarter got yesterday.

ADMINISTRATION SINGING

We are all prepared to fight, we will stand up to his wife.

Kevin marches into frame and marches beside Dan.

Kevin singing

We all stand up today, she might cut our heads away.

ADMINISTRATION SINGING

But we must do what it right, help Tom stand up to his wife.

Then General Butler marches into frame and marches beside Paul.

Butler singing

Your wife should be afraid, the general will beat her today.

ADMINISTRATION SINGING

The administration will all fight, we stand up to his wife.

Then they march towards Ashley who stands at the hallways far end with her backs to to them. The administration marches towards her then all stop.

ADMINISTRATION SINGING

Tom has something to say, and we will back him today.

She turns around and looks at them. Paul seems afraid then begins to run away as the President and the administration watch as the music stops momentarily. Then they all turn to Ashley and the musical number continues.

TOM SINGING

Even though I probably will regret, I ask you to treat me with respect.

The music stops.

ASHLEY MANNING

Why are you all singing like some asshole on Broadway?

Tom looks at her.

TOM MANNING

Honey, we are trying to do a musical at work today. Could you get in the spirit.

She, enraged, looks at them then the musical number begins again.

Ashley singing

If you try to grow balls today, I will rip them away.

Dan stands it front of her and raises his fist.

DAN SINGING

For him we will all fight, and stand up to his bitch of a wife.

She then punches Dan in the throat and he falls to the ground and rolls around in pain. Kevin stands in front of her.

KEVIN SINGING

You will not scare me away, I work for the C.I.A.

She then kicks him in the crotch and he falls to the ground and rolls around in pain. Butler gets in front of her and raises his fist.

BUTLER SINGING

You messed with a Hawk today, you might want to fly away.

She then grabs his head and slams it into her knee and Butler falls to the ground unconscious. Tom looks at her afraid then sings.

TOM SINGING

I really do love my wife, but I want respect for the first time in my life.

She then rushes at him and plunges her hand into his chest and rips out his pumping heart. Tom falls to the ground among his administration, clutches the hole in his chest, and sings.

TOM SINGING

And know I die.

Tom then lays dead on the floor with the rest of the administration.

INT. PRESIDENTIAL BEDROOM morning

The morning sun cascades through the window and a shaft of sunlight falls upon Tom in the bed, Baxter is asleep at the foot of the bed. He is alone in the bed and is tossing and turning, wearing pajamas. He then suddenly awakes and sits up as he breathes heavily. He then mutters.

TOM MANNING

This is going to be a bad week. My dreams always get messed up on a bad week.

He looks around then is startled when he sees Ashley, in her suit with skirt, standing at his bedside and looking down at him with anger. He looks at her blankly for a moment.

TOM MANNING

Decided to get up early dear?

She then folds her arms across her chest and taps her finger on her arm.

ASHLEY MANNING

Today I am going to get this administration into order. You will do exactly what I say. And we will handle this crisis with Ivan. Now get dressed and meet me outside.

She walks towards the door but stops in front of it and looks back at him.

ASHLEY MANNING

And you better remember what I said when you helped your insipid ass get elected mayor of that hick town in Delaware.

TOM MANNING

What you said about what would happen if I ever left you or was unfaithful.

She nods.

ASHLEY MANNING

If you ever leave me, then I'll kill you Tom.

Tom silently looks at her for a moment.

TOM MANNING

Ashley, no matter what happens, I'll always be at your side. I'm not going anywhere.

She says something before walking out the door.

ASHLEY MANNING

Good. We are stuck together Tom because I need you and you need me. What there is between us is a permanent deal.

Then she walks out the door. Tom falls back into bed and sighs.

TOM MANNING

I would say I have been faithful to you because I you, but I am not sure I want to hear what you would say back.

Tom gets out of the bed and Baxter wakes up and begins to wag his tail. Then Tom walks towards the door as the dog jumps down from the bed and follows.

INT. WATER COOLER later

Later in the morning. Dan stands in front of the water cooler, drinking from a paper cup, and looks at the portrait of Roosevelt behind the water cooler. He seems to think. He does not notice that Tom, who wears a suit, and Ashley are walking towards him as the dog follows. Then they stop behind Dan and she speaks loudly.

ASHLEY MANNING

Dan.

Dan is so startled that he spews water from his mouth. He turns around and sees them and seems nervous.

DAN POWERS

Sorry, just ruminating on work related matters.

Ashley then hits Tom upside the head and looks at him.

ASHLEY MANNING

Your boss has something to say.

Tom hesitates for a moment then speaks.

TOM MANNING

I want you to have a report on my desk by the end of the day showing which military assets are currently available and can be on the border of the Moldova by tomorrow.

She hits Tom upside the head again. He sighs.

TOM MANNING

I also want an analysis of what military assets Ivan has on the other side of the border.

Dan looks at his paper cup and frowns.

DAN POWERS

I will do what the President asks, since I'm sure these orders come directly from him.

ASHLEY MANNING

No more wasting I nor my husbands time anymore.

Ashley then takes Tom's arms and drags him away as Baxter follows and Dan watches. Dan then crumples up the paper cup and throws it away. He shakes his head.

DAN POWERS

This is starting to feel to much like a real job.

Tom and Ashley walk down the hallway as Baxter follows, members of the administration and the secret service walk past. She seems angry and does not notice that Tom is looking at her.

TOM MANNING

Ashley, I appreciate that you just want to help with my career, but hitting me in front of my staff could look bad.

ASHLEY MANNING

You need to be corrected occasionally Tom.

Tom looks away.

TOM MANNING

Like that time you corrected me on the Midnight Show.

The scene dissolves as a flashback begins.

flashback

The set of a late night talk show called the Midnight Show. There is a large audience and several cameras facing the stage. On the stage is a desk and several chairs, behind it is a painting of the skyline of Manhattan. Behind the desk is the host, Ben Berkly, a older man with neatly combed silver hair and in a black suit. Sitting in one of the chairs is celebrity pop singer Denise Vaughn, she is dressed in a skimpy dress and has long blond hair, has very pail skin and dark circles around her eyes, on her lap is a hand bag with a toy poodle in it. Denise seems to blankly stare at the painting of the skyline. Ben looks at the camera.

Ben Berkly

Our next guest is a man we all know, president elect Tom Manning.

Ben and the audience applauder while Denise still seems to stare off into space. Then Tom and Ashley walk out from some curtains, holding hands; he waves at the audience as he smiles though she just looks at him irritated. Then Baxter walks out from the curtains and follows them. Tom and Ashley then sit in two chairs beside the desk, she is still holding his hand. Baxter then sees the toy poodle and begins the growl, the poodle shakes and seems scared. Denise then looks at her dog.

Denise Vaughn

Something wrong precious.

The poodle then jumps out of the handbag and runs away as Baxter chases it while barking. Tom looks at Denise.

TOM MANNING

Don't worry Ms. Vaughn, Baxter is harmless.

Then Ashley starts to squeeze Tom's hand and he seems to be in a little bit of pain but seems to try and conceal it. Ben looks at him.

BEN BERKLY

Is something wrong Mr. President?

Tom still seems to be in pain.

TOM MANNING

Just something letting me know that it was a bad idea to bring the dog.

She stops squeezing his hand and Tom seems to settle down. Ben then looks at Tom.

BEN BERKLY

After winning the presidency in one of the narrowest victories in American history, it seems that you have a lot of critics.

Tom looks at Ben and grins.

TOM MANNING

All I have to say about my critics is that we live in the greatest country in the world because you are aloud to criticize the president.

Then Ashley squeezes his hand harder this time as she looks at him, he begins to squirm in his seat and seems in pain. Ashley then looks directly at the camera.

ASHLEY MANNING

What my husband meant to say is that being criticized is unavoidable for a political figure, but you might want to be careful who you criticize because bad things can happen to anyone.

Ben looks at Tom as he squirms about his seat.

BEN BERKLY

Sure you are OK?

Ashley squeezes harder and Tom grimaces.

TOM MANNING

Just a cramp Ben.

Denise then looks at Ashley.

DENISE VAUGHN

You buys your clothes, looks like something my grandmother would wear.

Tom then looks at her concerned. Ashley then calmly looks at her then frowns.

ASHLEY MANNING

Maybe you should dress like your grandmother young lady, then maybe you would not look like some skank who would be swirling around on a stripper pole if you could not sing.

Denise seems offended.

DENISE VAUGHN

What did you say?

Everyone in the studio is looking at Ashley in shock.

ASHLEY MANNING

Maybe you should write a song about contracting herpes or gonorrhea, that sounds a little more up your alley.

Denise then breaks out in tears and runs off the stage. Everyone still looks at Ashley when Tom turns to Ben.

TOM MANNING

Sorry, the first lady is just old fashioned.

Then Denise's voice yells from off camera.

DENISE VAUGHN

Your ugly dog is humping my poodle!

Then the scene dissolves.

Tom, Ashley and Baxter still walk down the hallway among members of the administration. He looks at her.

TOM MANNING

It seems that we have not been asked to do many television appearances these days.

ASHLEY MANNING

Shut up and just do as I say.

Tom looks away and sighs.

TOM MANNING

Of course dear.

A hallway in the white house. Kevin is standing at a window and looking out towards the crowd of protesters at the White House's front gates. The North Korean spy is standing amongst and he and Kevin look at each other. Then the spy makes a cutting gesture across his neck with his finger as Kevin watches. Kevin seems to be a little paranoid. He then turns around and sees Tom and Ashley standing behind him and seems a little startled. Baxter is behind Tom.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Tom, I'm a little to stressed out at the moment to talk.

Tom nervously looks at his wife then back to Kevin.

TOM MANNING

Kevin, do we have any informants in Ivan's administration.

Kevin seems annoyed.

KEVIN PATTERSON

I'm a little to worried about being killed at the moment to worry about doing my actual job.

TOM MANNING

Please say that you have some information on what is going on in Moscow.

Kevin looks out the window again and sees the North Korean spy still looking at him.

KEVIN PATTERSON

If I did not promise my ungrateful kids a pool, I would so fucking resign Tom.

Ashley then raises her voice.

ASHLEY MANNING

If you don't tell my husband what he wants to hear, then that spy is the least of your worries.

Kevin then looks blankly at her.

KEVIN PATTERSON

I got a guy who is on the inside. All he knows is that Ivan thinks Tom is some clown who is not fit to sell oranges on a bypass and that he is a girlie asshole.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

Thanks for the Intel Kevin, that was helpful.

ASHLEY MANNING

Have your guy find out by tomorrow just how far Ivan is going to take this.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Those kinds of orders should really come from the president.

Ashley looks at Tom.

ASHLEY MANNING

What do you have to say Tom.

Tom looks blankly at Kevin.

TOM MANNING

Your president orders you to do exactly what the first lady suggested.

Ashley looks at Kevin.

ASHLEY MANNING

Now go do your god damn job.

Ashley then grabs Tom's arm and drags him away as Baxter follows. Kevin mutters to himself as he watches them walk away.

KEVIN PATTERSON

The only woman who I've seen what that look in her eyes was that K.G.B. agent who tried to strangle me in Athens.

Kevin then looks out the window and sees the North Korean spy still looking at him.

KEVIN PATTERSON

No, don't become a dentist like mom said. Get a job in the intelligence field so you could be like James Bond. Guess I should have not chosen a career based upon a film I saw as a kid.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

The office is still when the door opens and Tom and Ashley walk in followed by Baxter. The dog goes to his little bed and lies down. Tom sits behind his desk and looks at Ashley who stands before it.

TOM MANNING

So what do you want me to do know dear?

ASHLEY MANNING

Just do what you usually do which is nothing. If something important happens, I'll tell you what to do.

She then walks towards the door when Tom speaks up.

TOM MANNING

Ashley, just one thing?

She stops and looks back at Tom.

ASHLEY MANNING

What Tom?

TOM MANNING

Just tell me that being the first lady is making you happy.

She stares at him blankly.

ASHLEY MANNING

Tom, I'm not a happy person as you might have guessed after thirty years. But we both are getting something we want out of this deal, so that will have to do.

Tom looks away and there is silence between them. She then silently leaves the room. Tom then looks at the closed door.

TOM MANNING

Hopefully when we retire, it will be like it was when we where together in college. Back when she occasionally acted like she felt something for me.

Tom leans back in his chair and looks at the ceiling.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom still looks at the ceiling when the intercom on his desk buzzes and he hits the button on it.

TOM MANNING

What is it Vanessa?

VANESSA

Nelson and Butler are on their way to your office, Nelson has something with him.

Tom leans back in his chair.

TOM MANNING

Great, now my science adviser who indulges my space fantasies has merged with my hawk Butler. they have become Butson or Netler.

He waits for a moment when the door opens and Nelson and Butler walk in. Nelson holds a tripod and a large image of something on a board.

TOM MANNING

What do you have for me today Nelson?

Nelson places the tripod and puts the board on it, it is a schematic of a large circular device. Butler stands beside him and is smiling. Nelson then looks at Tom.

NELSON POWELL

Since you show a interest in space Mr. President, I thought perhaps you could appreciate my proposal.

TOM MANNING

What proposal?

NELSON POWELL

For the small amount of a hundred billion dollars, this administration could build a particle collidor; three times larger then the one built in France.

TOM MANNING

And what does it do?

NELSON POWELL

It will help the scientific community answer some rather obscure questions regarding the universe's origins and physics.

TOM MANNING

I could probably get this through. I doubt most American's care about the origin of the Universe, but they would love that we built a collidor larger then the one France built.

Tom looks at Butler.

TOM MANNING

So Butler, I am guessing you and the pentagon have an angle on this.

Butler nods.

GENERAL BUTLER

I was listening to Nelson go on and on about this thing when I heard him say that it could create an explosive material more powerful then anything in our arsenal.

Tom raises his hand and barres his face in his palm.

TOM MANNING

That is what you really need Butler, a better explosive.

He looks at Nelson.

TOM MANNING

Is this possible?

NELSON POWELL

Theoretically this device could create anti matter, which when in contact with common matter who create a release of energy that could leave a crater over a thousand miles wide.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

I'll take it under advisement guys, and let me just say that I'm glad you two are hanging out together.

Butler grins.

GENERAL BUTLER

I know you will do what is right for America.

Tom mutters under his breathe.

TOM MANNING

We'll be lucky if there will be an America left after you two.

Tom then turns to them.

TOM MANNING

Got the point. Now I have some pressing business.

Nelson takes the board and tripod and follows Butler out of the room. Tom looks at the dog.

TOM MANNING

Great, my hawk is fucking up my dream of space adventures.

Tom then swivels around in his chair and looks out the windows at the city.

Dan is walking down the hallway and looking a several reports in his hand. Then secret service agent Flynn walks past and they stop and look at each other.

Agent Flynn

Dan, it looks dangerously close to it looking like you working.

Dan looks up from the reports.

DAN POWERS

I know, guess it is one of my off days.

Flynn then laughs.

AGENT FLYNN

Did you see that video on the net, the one where that actor who got kicked off Only Neighbors says that this administration is putting hormones into drinking water that will feminize the men who drink it.

DAN POWERS

Even if that was true, that would be the most normal thing this administration ever did.

AGENT FLYNN

That actor though, Charlie Stein, wish I got some of the tail that guy does.

Dan then looks down the hallway when he hears the name Charlie. At the end of the hallway is a landed green helicopter, a soldier is standing in the open hatch waving at Dan. Dan seems to be transfixed then the scene begins to merge with Dan's Nam flashback.

Dan's Nam flashback

Now the walls of the hallway have jungle like foliage coming out surface and the hallways are darkened and patches of grass sprout up from the marble floor. Now Dan, Flynn, and every member of the administration are in the uniforms of general infantry from the seventies. Dan looks at the landed helicopter as the soldier waves him in.

Flynn notices that Dan seems to be in a trance.

AGENT FLYNN

Something wrong Dan?

DAN'S NAM FLASHBACK

Dan looks at the helicopter when the soldier in the hatch yells out.

SOLDIER IN HELICOPTER

Run Dan, Charlie is on your ass!

Dan looks over his shoulder and sees five Vietcong charging down the jungle like always towards him screaming.

Flynn watches as Dan drops his reports and runs off. Flynn shrugs.

AGENT FLYNN

Must have been important.

DAN'S NAM FLASHBACK

Dan runs down the hallway towards the helicopter when it then lifts off. He looks over his shoulder and sees the Vietcong still chasing him. He then runs faster down the hallway and past members of the administration dressed like soldiers.

Tom sits at his desk and seems upset. The scene is silent for awhile when the intercom on his desk buzzes. He hits the button on it.

TOM MANNING

What now Vanessa?

VANESSA

Are you watching television?

TOM MANNING

Not while I'm on the job.

VANESSA

Someone just told me that Lynx News has you on audio talking with a Hooter's waitress who you are having sex with.

TOM MANNING

Just a groundless scandal.

VANESSA

The secret service just told me that the first lady is headed for your office, and she looks pissed.

Tom takes his hand off the button and looks at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

Oh shit.

Tom then gets up and runs towards the door as Baxter runs behind him.

Tom is running down a hallway as Baxter follows. At the end of the hallway is a door. It opens and Ashley stands in the door way and scowls at Tom. Tom and Baxter stop running and slide a small distance across the marble floor. Tom looks at her when she takes of her high heal shoes. Then rocky music begins as a chase scene commences. Tom turns and runs down an adjacent hallway as Baxter follows. Ashley then runs after him. Tom and his dog run down the hallway and past his administration. He looks over his shoulder and sees that Ashley is behind him and gaining. He looks ahead and sees Paul talking to Agent Flynn. When Tom runs past Paul, Paul looks at him and makes the thumbs up gesture. Tom and Baxter then turner a corner and he looks over his shoulder to see Ashley still chasing him. He does not notice that he runs up to Dan who is running in the same direction. Once He and Dan run side by side. Baxter, behind them, Dan looks at him and the chase merges with his Nam flashback.

DAN'S NAM FLASHBACK and chase

Dan looks at Tom, Tom is now wearing his old football uniform and holding a football; Dan looks at Baxter who is behind them. Baxter now is dressed like a general, with a uniform and a green helmet with four stars on it. Then both Tom and Dan look behind them. They are being chases by the first lady, whose eyes are glowing red, the five Vietcong who all are screaming and several burly football players. Then they both look ahead and see a helicopter landed at the end of the hallway. But it then lifts off. Tom and Baxter turn a corner and run down a hallway and Dan runs off in the opposite direction. Tom runs until he comes to a large room, he stands at the end of a balcony with a metal railing; beneath is a lower floor of the white house. Tom looks back and sees Ashley standing at the end of the hallway. Then several burly football players run out from behind her and charge Tom. Tom climbs over the railing and jumps. He falls in slow motion and lands in a kneeling position. Baxter then jumps onto the railing then jumps off and falls in slow motion. In regular time, Tom holds the football in one hand and catches the falling Baxter with his free arm. He stands and looks down a hallway and sees the open door to the janitor's closet. Tom runs towards it, while holding the football and Baxter. As he runs towards it, it seems like he is running towards the end zone of a football field. He then slides across the floor and slides into the janitors closet. He puts Baxter down and closes the door. He backs up against the far wall, there is a mop beside him. He looks at the door as he hears slow, ominous footsteps approach. Baxter jumps up into Tom's arms and they both look at the door. Then the door slowly opens.

INT. janitor's closet seconds later

Tom, in his suit, stands in the closet holding Baxter but seems re leaved that Dan stands in the doorway; looking at him and seeming a little confused.

DAN POWERS

Tom, I think I need a few days off of work. Something really weird just happened.

TOM MANNING

Par for the course in the Manning administration.

Then Ashley appears and pushes Dan out of the way and stands at the door to the closet. She scowls at Tom. He and Baxter are shaking.

TOM MANNING

Say dear, crazy day we are having at the office.

ASHLEY MANNING

You can't hide from me.

Tom then picks up the mop with his free hand.

TOM MANNING

I just needed a mop.

She then slowly walks towards him till they are face to face. then she kicks him in the shin and he recoils in pain. Ashley then raises her voice.

ASHLEY MANNING

I'm not going to let you piss away everything we accomplished in the past thirty years just so you could bang some vapid bimbo.

TOM MANNING

I'm innocent, I swear.

She then turns and speaks.

ASHLEY MANNING

You have till Friday to prove it, or.

TOM MANNING

Or what?

ASHLEY MANNING

Or I'll stab you in the eye with a spoon.

He just silently looks at her when she then walks away and he is alone. He just stands in the closet, Baxter in one arm and holding a mop with the other.

TOM MANNING

I wonder if any of the other president's had a week like this.

Tom walks down the hallway as Baxter follows and members of the administration walk past. The we see Dan standing in front of a portrait of Kennedy and he looks around and seems worried. Tom stops beside Dan and looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Can I ask you something Dan?

Dan looks at Tom.

DAN POWERS

Tom, I would like to help you patch up your marriage but I'm having a real bad day.

TOM MANNING

I've been married to her for over thirty years and I have never said I love you once.

Dan looks down the hallway and watches as a Vietcong soldier leans out from behind and corner and looks at Dan. Dan looks at him, frozen in place and seems afraid. Tom does not notice.

TOM MANNING

You know why I can't say it, because I'm afraid she won't say I love you to.

DAN POWERS

After I came back stateside after Nam, I had seen a lot of things that messed me up. But you know what helped?

TOM MANNING

What Dan?

DAN POWERS

Holding my wife for hours and not saying anything.

As soon as Dan mentions his wife, the Vietcong soldier vanishes. Baxter grunts and Dan looks at the dog.

DAN POWERS

Don't judge me, and man needs to be held sometimes to.

TOM MANNING

I love that woman Dan, I only became president to make Ashley happy.

Dan looks at Tom.

DAN POWERS

Why are you with her Tom, she really seems to be a bit of a bitch.

TOM MANNING

I was not lying when I said she stole my heart Dan, I'll never be able to love anybody but her. Now I have till Friday to prove I have not been screwing around.

DAN POWERS

You never met my wife have you.

TOM MANNING

True.

DAN POWERS

I Nam, I met this young Vietnamese woman; Kim. And well, for twenty dollar, she loved me long time.

TOM MANNING

What does this Kim have to do with your wife?

DAN POWERS

First woman I was ever with. So I pulled some strings and got her a plane ticket to the states. When I got back, I was pretty messed up.

TOM MANNING

So you married her.

DAN POWERS

Kim was the best thing to ever happen to me, twenty dollar got me her love for the rest of my life.

TOM MANNING

Sounds like you care for her.

DAN POWERS

I can understand why you feel kind of shitty, I might always lets me know she loves me. But you are to scared to tell your wife you love her because you are scared that she does not love you back.

TOM MANNING

I would give anything to hear her say I love you Tom just once.

DAN POWERS

You must love that woman Tom, sounds like her happiness means more you to then your own.

Tom walks away as Baxter follows.

TOM MANNING

Like I said, she stole my heart Dan. I will never love anyone else.

Dan speaks up.

DAN POWERS

Tom, you really need to tell that to your wife.

TOM MANNING

I would, I just afraid she would say I she was just using me for her career.

Dan watches Tom and Baxter walk away. Dan mutters.

DAN POWERS

I feel kind of shitty for Tom, we might be in the worst shit storm since the Cuban missile crises and the president is more concerned about his marriage.

Dan walks off in the opposite direction.

DAN POWERS

Glad I married to a woman who is actually nice to the man she married.

INT. OVAL OFFICE LATER

Tom walks into the office as Baxter follows and he sits behind his desk and Baxter goes and lays down in his bed. He swivels around in his chair and looks out the windows at the city beyond. Then the red phone on his desk rings and he swivels around to face the phone.

TOM MANNING

I wonder what Ivan wants. I bet this week is about to get more fucked up.

He picks up the phone and speaks into it.

TOM MANNING

What can America do for you today Ivan?

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan sits at his desk and seems upset while speaking into the phone.

IVAN PATROVA

As soon as I finish this call, I will be en route to New York. Tomorrow I will give a speech at the United Nations. I will address the current situation. If you are at all competent, you better be there.

Tom waits a moment then speaks.

TOM MANNING

Well, I'll be there. Beside I need to apologize to Prime Minster Yamato for the whole throwing up on him thing.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan leans back in his chair.

IVAN PATROVA

As I always said Manning, you are a clown who amuses people with your antics. I have met a lot of heads of state, but you are the only who seems like he has no idea what he is doing.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Ivan.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan frowns.

IVAN PATROVA

Tomorrow, I will tell the United nations and the world that Russia will not stand idly by and allow our nation to be encircled. I know you will militarily try and convince me to let this Moldova situation remain unchallenged.

Tom seems somewhat saddened.

TOM MANNING

Ivan, I can't keep my mind on work so can we keep this short.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan waits for a moment then speaks.

IVAN PATROVA

Tomorrow at the United Nations, I tell you and the world that Russia will never show cowardice to a potential threat. I will not let this clown of a president make me look weak to my people.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

Ivan, my science adviser just came into the room or somebody else. I would talk more, but I'm to preoccupied at the moment to worry about doing my job.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan scowls.

IVAN PATROVA

We have a situation which could result in open conflict between our nations and you can't pretend like you are actually a world leader.

Tom says nothing and just hangs up the phone then leans back in his chair and looks at the ceiling.

INT. IVAN'S OFFICE NIGHT

Ivan looks at the phone.

IVAN PATROVA

He just hung up on me.

Ivan then starts cursing in Russian.

Tom looks at the ceiling in silence as Baxter looks at him looks at him. Tom looks at the dog.

TOM MANNING

I know, I know. This is a serious situation and I need to be at my best.

Baxter wags his tail.

TOM MANNING

But all I care about at the moment is proving to my wife that I would never be unfaithful to her.

Baxter tilts his head.

TOM MANNING

I all want right now is Ashley to say that she feels the same way about me as I do for her.

Tom then looks at the ceiling again as Baxter watches.

TOM MANNING

I just afraid that she would say that she feels nothing for me and this was just her way to become First Lady.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

This week is going to be one of the worst in the history of this administration.

Tom then looks at the dog in silence for awhile.

INT. PRESIDENTIAL BEDROOM NIGHT

Tom and Ashley lay in the bed as Baxter sleeps with his four paws up in the air at the foot of the bed. Tom is on his side look away from her, and Ashley just looks at him angrily in silence for awhile.

ASHLEY MANNING

Tomorrow, you better not fuck this up at the United Nations.

TOM MANNING

Do you think I want to go to the UN tomorrow, I've been ducking Canadian Prime Minister Wallace ever since I burst out laughing when we did that speech together on the news and he started talking gibberish.

ASHLEY MANNING

It was French you idiot.

TOM MANNING

Sure, French.

ASHLEY MANNING

After tomorrow, you have two days to prove that you have not unfaithful.

Tom rolls onto his other side and looks at her.

TOM MANNING

Can't you believe that I would never cheat on you.

Ashley looks away from him.

ASHLEY MANNING

I know you have been talking about how you are married to a heartless bitch to everyone in your administration.

TOM MANNING

How did you know that?

ASHLEY MANNING

Let us just say that I have eyes and ears everywhere in the white house.

Tom rolls over onto his side away from her.

TOM MANNING

Then you ears might have heard me say that I love you.

Ashley rolls onto her side away from Tom.

ASHLEY MANNING

What do you want me to say Tom, that I love you to?

TOM MANNING

Do you?

ASHLEY MANNING

After you have retired and our career is behind us, then I'll tell you why I have stayed with you and why you are always going to be my property.

TOM MANNING

Well, when you tell me that then I'll tell you that your happiness is all I have cared about.

ASHLEY MANNING

It is a important day tomorrow, so we better sleep.

She then closes her eyes. Tom rolls over onto his back and looks at her in silence. He watches her sleep then closes his eyes and goes to sleep as well.

TOM'S DREAM

It is day and Tom sits behind his desk and reads an Issue of Times magazine. Then Dan runs into the office seeming concerned.

DAN POWERS

Mr. President, there is a crisis.

Tom looks at him and seems concerned.

TOM MANNING

What is it?

DAN POWERS

I giant Russian bear is attacking the city.

TOM MANNING

What?

Outside the white house, people are running away from something as they panic and runs past the front gates. Then a giant Russian bear, which is as large as a building and has an eye patch, walks towards the White House's front gates.

Tom is in his office and looks at Dan then nods.

TOM MANNING

Time to do my job.

Tom gets up and goes to a wall of the office. He hits a button and a panel in the wall flips around revealing a spandex costume with the colors red, white and blue all over it; there is also a staff with a bald eagle on its top. As Dan watches, Tom starts to suit up.

The giant bear is now walking across the White Houses front lawn as secret service agents fire their pistols at it. The bear then hits an agent with his paw which sends him flying threw the air then slides across the lawn. Then Tom's voice speaks out off frame.

TOM MANNING

This is a job for the commander and chief.

Then Tom appears, in the costume and holding the staff and marches up the bear and stands in front of it.

TOM MANNING

I better leave America before I kick your ass all over D.C. you hairy son of a bitch.

Then the bear speaks with Ivan's voice.

Ivan as the bear

I will not be stopped by a clown like you.

TOM MANNING

Would a clown be dressed up in spandex and have the American flag plastered all over his body.

IVAN AS THE BEAR

Time to settle this.

The bear swipes at Tom with his paw, but Tom jumps out of the way and does several flips in the air then lands. The bear swipes at him again but again Tom then jumps out of the way. He then jumps towards the bear in slow motion, as he slowly jumps towards the bear, he swings the staff and his the bear in the head. The bear bellow in pain then swipes at Tom hitting him. Tom flies throwing the air and crashes through a window of the white house and vanishes. After several moments he walks out the front door and walks towards the bear.

TOM MANNING

You know what today is? A bad day to be a bear.

Tom then runs at the bear and it charges at him. He then jumps towards the approaching bear and pulls back the staff. He then hits the bear in the head then lands. Tom then repeatedly hits the bear with the staff as they fight across the lawn in front of the white house. Now the bear is unconscious and Tom repeatedly hits him in the head the the staff. He finishes and is breathing heavily.

TOM MANNING

Sorry Russian bear, you got out manned by President Manning.

He then turns and she Ashley walking towards him. Tom drops the staff and walks towards her.

TOM MANNING

Don't worry dear, the president has saved America again.

He stops and grins and seems triumphant. She then lunges at him and plunges her hand into his chest and rips out his beating heart. He falls to the ground and looks up at her.

TOM MANNING

You stole my heart, why?

He then closes his eyes and dies.

INT. PRESIDENTIAL BEDROOM MORNING

Tom and Baxter are alone in the bed when Tom wakes up suddenly and sits up. He looks around the room and at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

OK Baxter, guess we better get ready for a little trip to New York.

Baxter looks at him and wags his tail.

TOM MANNING

I always love a trip out, not many jobs get you your own airplane.

Tom looks at the other side of the bed and sighs seeing that it is empty.

TOM MANNING

We've been together for over thirty years, and not once in that time have we ever not slept side by side.

Tom then looks at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

Of course, in the beginning she was occasionally intimate. Now, well, we do not show each other affection much.

Tom gets out of the bed and walks towards the door.

TOM MANNING

Off to the United Nations.

EXT. united nations noon

In the city of New York, the gigantic headquarters of the United Nations sits against a blue sky and in front of it are the flags of every country on Earth.

INT. main room of united nations seconds later

Within the United Nations is a gigantic room. To one side is a podium and to the other end of the room is row after row of small desks with the names of countries on each desk and either the head of state or some dignitary behind he desk. Behind two desks sits two heads of State, Canadian Prime Minister Wallace who is a heavyset man in a black suit with slicked back dark hair; the other man is a dignitary from Australia; a slim man with well groomed blond hair in a blue suit. They talk and don't notice and Tom is walking past behind him.

Prime Minister Wallace

This situation with Russia is bad, but what is worse is that moron Tom Manning.

Tom stops and looks at the two talking men.

PRIME MINISTER WALLACE

The guy has the mentality of some idiot on a day time talk show, and I'm not talking one of the classier talk shows to.

Tom looks at Wallace.

TOM MANNING

How is it going Wallace.

The two men look at Tom.

PRIME MINISTER WALLACE

Sorry Tom, did not see you there.

Then they look away and continue to talk.

PRIME MINISTER WALLACE

Manning is surely going to be the worst president in US history.

Tom sighs and walks away.

INT. MAIN ROOM OF UNITED NATIONS SECONDS LATER

Tom sits behind a desk with the words United States on its front. He and all the other world leaders look to the front of the room as Ivan stands behind the podium. There is silence for a moment then he speaks.

IVAN PATROVA

In this building is the world's attempt to create a forum where the leaders of nations and speak and be heard. This institution is meant to be an attempt to create a more stable, more peaceful world.

Ivan then looks at Tom and scowls.

IVAN PATROVA

But our attempt at a more peaceful world is being undermined my an American policy which forges alliances with Russia neighbors. I and my people are being encircled and I and my people feel threatened. I would America feel if Russia where to ally itself with Canada, Mexico and other nations on their borders.

Ivan still looks at Tom.

IVAN PATROVA

America wants to challenge me, and right now American military assets are massing on the Moldova's borders. A futile attempt to get me to accept defeat.

Ivan then looks at Tom.

IVAN PATROVA

I fear neither America or the clown they elected as president. Though we all want peace, I nor any other leader of powerful nation can dare show weakness. That is why I have doubled Russian military presence of the Moldova's border.

Ivan then grins as he looks at Tom.

IVAN PATROVA

And if America thinks I am bluffing, they might want to think twice before challenging my resolve. It is not Russia that threatens the peace all our people long for, but an American policy which seems to make Russia out to be the threat. But America is the threat, an arrogant nation that thinks it is invincible.

Tom mutters to himself.

TOM MANNING

Great, now he is going to talk shit about me and America.

IVAN PATROVA

My nation is strong, and we will finally draw a line in the stand. We will not show cowardice and will stand up to this bully who thinks they can do as they please without repercussions.

Tom and Ivan locks eyes.

IVAN PATROVA

Either America will remove itself both politically and militarily from the Moldova by Sunday or we will consider their presence to be an act of war. No one wants war, but Russia will challenge a threat to global stability. And if they think we are bluffing as they say in America, then they do not understand how far I am willing to press this issue. I will finish with that if you all care about peace and international stability, then perhaps you can convince this clown of a president to not meddle into the affairs of my nation.

After Ivan stops talking, part of the members of the United Nations clap while the other half just look at Ivan in mute silence. Tom looks away and mutters to himself.

TOM MANNING

I hate the United Nations, it is just a fucking popularity contest and half the guys in here hate America because we are the coolest kid in the global school yard.

Ivan then walks off the stage.

INT. united nations hallway later

Later in the day. There is a large hallway with pillars along the wall as hell as poles with the flags of different countries on them. Ivan is walking down the hallway when Tom appears behind him and speaks.

TOM MANNING

Ivan, we need to talk about this.

Ivan stops and grunts.

IVAN PATROVA

I told the clown everything about my position on this crises.

TOM MANNING

This crises is not in the interest of our people.

Ivan turns around and folds his arms across his chest.

IVAN PATROVA

At least my people have a strong leader, someone who has had blood on his hands and knows what must be done and does not let emotional sentiment cloud his judgment. You, you like most Americans are the product of a life time being cradled and have someone always wipe your ass, and you like all Americans are weak.

Tom then frowns.

TOM MANNING

OK Ivan, put your fists up.

Tom takes off his coat and rolls up the sleeves of his shirt and approaches Ivan. Ivan grins and seems unimpressed.

IVAN PATROVA

Does the girlie man actually think he can beat me in a fight.

TOM MANNING

You can talk shit about me, but talk shit about America and I stomp you.

IVAN PATROVA

I was taught how to fight by the K.G.B. Manning.

TOM MANNING

I played football, so I'll be OK.

Then in slow motion, Ivan runs at Tom then leaps into the air towards him. Ivan then does a round house kick in mid air and hits Tom in the head. Tom then stumbles into a wall and begins to stumble about then falls to the ground. Ivan looks down at him and grins. A pole with the American flag on it is near Tom. Ivan then walks away.

IVAN PATROVA

You are as your people say, a real pansy.

Tom gets up and seems angry. He looks at the pole with the American flag on it then grabs it. He walks up behind Ivan then stops.

TOM MANNING

Ivan.

When Ivan turns around to face him, Tom swings the pole and hits Ivan in the head. Ivan then staggers back and Tom begins to repeatedly hit him with the pole. Ivan then grabs the pole and they both struggle to hold onto it, then Ivan snaps the pole in two and head buts Tom who stumbles back. Ivan, in slow motion, jumps towards Tom and pulls back his fist and punches Tom in the head. He falls to the ground and Ivan stands over him.

IVAN PATROVA

I was not treated with kindness Manning, my training was one of brutality. So go home and think you are a real man when you are just some girlie asshole.

Tom gets to his feet and they hatefully look at each other.

TOM MANNING

I was hoping we could settle thins like gentlemen Ivan, but I guess relations have broke down. So I can say go fuck yourself.

Ivan walks away as Tom watches.

IVAN PATROVA

You really should be wearing a skirt Manning, that would suit you more.

Tom watches him go around and corner then looks away and grunts.

TOM MANNING

OK, guess my plan to talk this over with Ivan backfired when we tried to kill each other.

Tom walks away.

TOM MANNING

Besides, I heard the Roosevelt and Stalin tried to kill each other once.

EXT. sky over America later

Later in the day. Air Force One flies silently through a cloud filled sky.

INT. air force one seconds later

Paul sits in a chair and looks peacefully out a window to the side. There is several unoccupied chairs beside him and members of the administration walk about. Tom appears, sits beside Paul and looks at him, Tom has a black eye.

TOM MANNING

Paul, I need to ask you something?

Paul turns to him.

PAUL FREEMAN

What Mr. President?

TOM MANNING

You have worked for every administration since Kennedy and you know about anything that has ever happened in the white house. Have you ever heard of a case where the president of the united states and the leader of another nation tried to kill each other?

Paul seems to think.

PAUL FREEMAN

The president leads the free world, he would not act like some hoodlum you settles things with violence.

TOM MANNING

You right, I guess the Cuban missile crisis might have gone worse if Kennedy and Khrushchev tried to beat each other into a bloody pulp.

PAUL FREEMAN

A world leader should act with some degree of civility and display the class a world leader should show.

Tom sighs.

TOM MANNING

If the Manning administration is going to be remembered for anything it will be for classing up the white house.

Tom gets up when Paul speaks up.

PAUL FREEMAN

I was just an intern in the white house the second day of the Cuban missile crises when Kennedy told me something.

Tom looks back at him.

TOM MANNING

What did he say?

PAUL FREEMAN

That a leader of a nation can't show weakness in front of an enemy.

TOM MANNING

Truer words where never spoken Paul.

PAUL FREEMAN

But he said that it was not weakness to be afraid, and that he was afraid that he would be the president who was in office when America was destroyed. That he was afraid, not for himself but for the country.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Paul, why I gave you the job, only guy in D.C. who ever met one of the most respected presidents in history. Sometimes I feel like I'm not worth dirt of the bottom of the shoes of some of the men who have been president.

Tom walks away when Paul speaks up.

PAUL FREEMAN

One last thing Mr. president?

TOM MANNING

What Mr. Vice president?

Paul makes the thumbs up gesture. Tom smiles.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Paul, the thumbs up always lets me know everything will be OK.

Tom walks away as Paul returns to looking out the window.

INT. AIR FORCE ONE SECONDS LATER

Inside the plane is a large conference room. There is a table with chairs around it and a large television to one side of the room. Dan sits in the room alone and watches a football game on the television. Then Tom walks into the room and sits across from Dan and seems worried. Dan briefly looks at him and back to the television.

DAN POWERS

I'm curious as to who gave you the shiner.

Tom grunts.

TOM MANNING

I tried to talk to Ivan, maybe it should be like Thunder dome in that movie, where instead of wars world leaders settle disputes in a fight to the death with axes and chainsaws.

DAN POWERS

You tried to fight Ivan.

TOM MANNING

I tried but he went all Bruce Lee on my ass. It was crazy, jumping spinning kicks through the air. But I got a few good hits in myself.

DAN POWERS

If the press finds out, it may help your approval ratings. No offense to our country, but you'll never go broke appealing to lowest common denominator.

Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Why did you tag along to New York?

Dan looks at him for a moment, seeming worried, then looks back to the television.

DAN POWERS

I needed to get out the white house.

TOM MANNING

You seem like you need some sleep Dan.

DAN POWERS

Back in Nam, well a soldier should never sleep because that is when Charlie gets you.

TOM MANNING

Dan, we are not in the shit and it is not the seventies.

DAN POWERS

War tends to change people, and sometimes even when you go home, well, sometimes you feel like you never left.

Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Dan, this administration needs someone who has seen war with his own eyes.

DAN POWERS

In Nam, they had this thing called the thousand yard stare; just a look a soldier has in his eyes when he has been in the shit long enough.

TOM MANNING

Sounds like something Dan the man would say.

DAN POWERS

You had that look in your eyes when we first met at the cocktail party, I could not figure it out until I saw the first lady throw that plate of shrimp at your head. You have the thousand yard stare that night.

tom manning

Dan, could you lie to me and say everything will be OK.

Dan powers

I could lie or I could just say that while America is facing a crisis, all the president is worried about is his marriage. Glad to see you have you priorities straight.

Tom gets up and speaks as he leaves the room.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Dan for not trying to sugar coat things.

DAN POWERS

After seven years in the shit, well, afterwords it is hard to sugar coat life.

Tom leaves the room.

Tom walks down a aisle with seats on either side. Butler is sitting in a chair and seems to be thinking. Tom stops beside him and looks at the general.

TOM MANNING

Can I ask my resident hawk something?

Butler looks at him.

GENERAL BUTLER

What Mr. President?

TOM MANNING

Could you really see a war between me and Ivan.

Butler grins.

GENERAL BUTLER

You my boss, but I don't mind telling you that you are some liberal pacifist who makes our enemies relax their guard. I stay in the shadows and during that dark, cataclysmic day when a threat confronts America; well then I'll will show them why it is a bad idea to mess with America. Everyone plays a card in D.C., you play the well meaning but naive card.

TOM MANNING

What card do you play Butler?

The general grins widely.

GENERAL BUTLER

I play the anyone messes with America and I shove it down their throats card. That if a threat ever appears, when then this hawk will utterly and completely destroy them by what ever means necessary.

TOM MANNING

Maybe your right Butler, I guess America just is saving you for the day when a man like Butler would be needed.

GENERAL BUTLER

With this situation with Russia, well, that day may be sooner then you think.

Tom walks away and sighs.

TOM MANNING

Thanks for putting my fears at ease Butler.

GENERAL BUTLER

No problem Mr. President, if Ivan fucks with us then I'll unleash the dogs of hell and will crush him.

Butler then looks away and seems in thought.

To the back of the plane is a row of seats. Kevin sits in a seat and seems paranoid. Tom appears and gets into a seat beside him.

TOM MANNING

Kevin, you can relax, that North Korean spy is not on the plane.

Kevin looks at him and frowns.

KEVIN PATTERSON

You don't understand what it is like to be a spook, I've been doing this job for over twenty years; do you know how many enemies I've made. That is why I'm paranoid, because I constantly have to worry about some spook popping out of the shadows and strangling me with a piano wire. Tom, you have no idea how fucking scary my world is; a world that is unseen my most; a world with thousands of assholes running around in the shadows and all trying to strangle each other with piano wire.

TOM MANNING

Seems the spooks like piano wire.

KEVIN PATTERSON

I only at safe at work or at home.

Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Why do you feel safe at home Kevin, seems there is where you would be defenseless.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Know what is funny in the spy game, sometimes you have to deal with other who might kill you if you don't kill them first; guys you identify with because they have the same job as you; guys who would never bring work to a spies home because that is a spies sanctuary. A place where he feels safe. In this trade, well, me no any other spook would never wack a guy in his home because they want to feel safe there.

Tom nods.

TOM MANNING

That actually sounds kind of compassionate.

KEVIN PATTERSON

True until you realize that if you are in the open, then a spook will pop out of nowhere and strangle you.

TOM MANNING

With piano wire I take it.

KEVIN PATTERSON

I better get that in ground pool or my two kids will treat me like worthless crap.

TOM MANNING

Sounds like you want them to like you.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Tom, I've done some things which are very hard to live with; the only thing that makes up for it is the slim hope of winning my ungrateful kids approval with a pool or an extension to the house. We both work for the government Tom, but I got to work for the part of government that does it business in the dark places where no one can see.

Tom gets up and walks away but speaks.

TOM MANNING

Sorry Kevin, I almost saw that world you live in; and it is a scary place.

KEVIN PATTERSON

You gave no fucking idea Tom.

Tom stops and looks back at him.

TOM MANNING

There was something I wanted to ask and a spy should know. My wife has this little room in the white house.

Kevin nods.

KEVIN PATTERSON

Tom, someone above asked me to check into your wife's little room after we put together she was bugging your office.

TOM MANNING

What did you find?

KEVIN PATTERSON

All I say is that you should never go in there. I once was captured by a hostile government and they threatened to torture for information. But as scary as that was, yours wife little room where she protects your career was a bit more scary. That woman is not a spook, but that room looks like something out of the intelligence field.

TOM MANNING

It can't be that bad Kevin.

KEVIN PATTERSON

If you want to be happy Tom, never go into that room. It is a scary fucking room.

Tom walks away and speaks.

TOM MANNING

Thanks for easing my fears about that room.

Once Kevin is alone, he mutters to himself.

KEVIN PATTERSON

I couldn't tell that poor bastard that his wife is a lot scarier then he thinks. I still have nightmares about that room.

Tom is walking down a corridor of the plane when he see Ashley walking towards him. She stops and seems concerned when she sees his black eye.

ASHLEY MANNING

What happened Tom?

Tom grins.

TOM MANNING

I tried to talk to Ivan and relations broke down. Sounds like you are concerned.

She then hits him upside the head.

ASHLEY MANNING

Would you act like a president and not some thick necked asshole with a sloping brow who gets into fights because someone said something you did not understand because you are to stupid to figure it out.

tom manning

Just the way men are dear, sometimes we need to settle things with our fists.

Ashley manning

Tom, if your jack assery costs me a second term, then you have no idea the world of shit you are in for.

She walks away as Tom watches. He then lowers his head and mutters.

TOM MANNING

I wish I could tell her that I hate this fucking job, and that now I have to deal with this career for another seven years at most. That I was happiest during our first year in college, back when she acted like she cared about me occasionally. Before my political life started and she lost what ever part of her could be sentimental.

Tom then walks away.

TOM MANNING

I hate being Tom Manning and being president.

In the lower section of the plane is a large room with metallic walls, and containers everywhere. Tom is walking threw the room and seems to be looking around.

TOM MANNING

Baxter.

Tom watches as Baxter walks out from behind a container and seems queasy.

TOM MANNING

Sorry buddy for making you fly down here, it is just I can't go anywhere without my top guy in this administration and the crew of air force one said they did not want my dog puking all over the place because he gets air sick.

Baxter then walks behind a container again and there is the sound of the dog puking. Tom sighs deeply.

TOM MANNING

Is it just me or does the Manning administration seem like every member needs serious therapy.

Tom then walks away.

EXT. WASHINGTON D.C. later

Later in the day. Former president Rockwell stands in front of the Smithsonian museum again, dressed in a trench coat, wearing sun glasses and seem to try and go unnoticed as people walk past.

ROCKWELL

I don't why I hate Manning more, for costing me my second term or forcing me to be out amongst the average assholes who make up this country.

An older man in a suit stops and looks at Rockwell.

older man in suit

You used to be president, what did you just say about Americans.

Rockwell scowls at him.

ROCKWELL

I'm never running for office again so I can tell you what I would like to tell the average American, go fuck yourself.

The man walks off. Then the young man in the t-shirt walks towards Rockwell from behind, he is holding a blue, skimpy woman's dress. He stops and looks at Rockwell.

MAN IN T-SHIRT

Glad you showed up.

Rockwell turns around and sees him then frowns.

ROCKWELL

Great, glad my grudge has me associating with some pot head fucktard who is holding a dress for some reason. Guess you like to get baked and dress up in drag.

MAN IN T-SHIRT

This dress belongs to a cocktail waitress who has been banging Tom Manning.

ROCKWELL

Why would I care about some dress asshole.

The man in the t-shirt holds the dress up and there is a white stain on it.

ROCKWELL

A stain, so what?

MAN IN T-SHIRT

The waitress said it is Manning's D.N.A. on the dress.

Rockwell grins.

ROCKWELL

Give it to me and I'll be off.

MAN IN T-SHIRT

First I want my fifty thousand dollars you promised on the phone.

ROCKWELL

Could you give me a some change, I need it to complete our transaction since I don't want to break a thousand dollar bill.

The man in the t-shirt hands Rockwell the dress and starts to dig around his pockets for change. Rockwell smiles and walks away from the man who stops and looks at him.

MAN IN T-SHIRT

You fucked me over again Mr. President.

Rockwell stops and looks back at him.

ROCKWELL

Sorry, out of principal I'm not giving a dime to some pot head loser who should grow up and get a job like the rest of us.

MAN IN T-SHIRT

This is not fair.

ROCKWELL

Tell you congressman, oh wait, your congressman probably doesn't care about some bong smoking, pot head loser either.

MAN IN T-SHIRT

I thought you where John Wayne, but at least he would have the decency to pay me the money.

Rockwell grins.

ROCKWELL

I might dress up as a cowboy occasionally, but I fucking hate John Wayne.

The man in t-shirt and every pedestrian walking past stop, gasp and look at him in shock. Rockwell looks at all of them.

ROCKWELL

Would you all grow up, John Wayne was not really a cowboy.

Rockwell then walks away as everyone looks at him.

MAN IN T-SHIRT

You can talk shit about me, but you better respect the duke. Greatest American who ever lived.

The man in the t-shirt walks off.

EXT. WHITE HOUSE LATER LATER

Later in the day. The crowd of protesters outside the front gates is larger. Then Tom, in his jogging attire, walks out of the white house followed by Baxter and secret service agent Flynn walks up to him.

AGENT FLYNN

You usually go for your weekly jog on Monday.

TOM MANNING

I need to clear my head and figured that i would be best if the president was out amongst the tax payers who pay my salary.

AGENT FLYNN

I wish you would let the secret service watch you back.

TOM MANNING

I don't want to be a president that is afraid of the average American.

AGENT FLYNN

It is not the average American you need to be afraid of, it is the American who has been obsessing on the president for months and is planning to assassinate him.

Tom jogs towards the gates.

TOM MANNING

I want the support of any American, including the deranged, unbalanced loner because he votes to.

AGENT FLYNN

Be careful.

Tom jogs towards the gates.

EXT. SIDEWALK OF D.C. LATER

Tom is jogging down a sidewalk of the city beside a park as Baxter follows. He does not noticed that a man, dressed in military fatigues hand has his dark hair done up into a Mohawk, Travis Bentley, is jogging behind Tom and seems to be following him. A pedestrian, a older lady in a dress, stops and looks at Tom.

older lady

Good day Mr. President.

Tom speaks as he jogs past her.

TOM MANNING

Please miss, the name is Tom.

He continues to jog when he seems to think then stops and Baxter sits near his feet. He looks behind him and sees Travis who stops jogging and just looks at Tom. Tom seems worried and looks down at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

Well, if I had an assassin, I imagine he would look like that guy in a Mohawk.

Tom and Baxter jog away and Travis continues to jog after him. Tom looks over his shoulder and sees Travis still following. Tom looks forward and mutters.

TOM MANNING

I thought when I ran for office, this would settle down. I seem to be a running a lot this week.

Tom looks at Baxter.

TOM MANNING

Baxter, we better run.

Tom then runs away as Baxter follows. Travis then runs after him and yells.

Travis Bentley

Now I have you Manning, get back here!

Tom then runs across a street as Baxter follows, he darts out in front of a car which comes to a screeching halt. Then Tom runs into an alley between to buildings but stops when he comes to a chain link fence. He turns around and faces the Travis, who know stands at the entrance to the alley. Tom seems nervous.

TOM MANNING

And what can I do for a fellow American.

Travis walks slowly towards him.

TRAVIS BENTLEY

I wanted to finally meet the man responsible.

TOM MANNING

Responsible for what?

TRAVIS BENTLEY

Responsible for the government putting microchips in my brain.

Tom looks at Baxter and mutters.

TOM MANNING

I was hoping for one of those rational assassins, not one of the crazy ones.

Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Sir, I want to assure you that this administration would never harass a decent American like yourself.

TRAVIS BENTLEY

I wanted to pay you back for what you did to my brain.

TOM MANNING

Sir, I would like you to know that neither I nor my administration did anything to your brain.

Travis reaches into his coat.

TRAVIS BENTLEY

I have a surprise for you.

Tom looks at Baxter and grimaces.

TOM MANNING

Run Baxter, save yourself.

Travis then pulls out a card with a poem in it and hands it to Tom who reluctantly takes it. He then reads it aloud.

TOM MANNING

Thanks for a wonderful gift and for making the world a better place. Friends forever.

Tom looks at Travis dumbfounded.

TOM MANNING

This card indicates that you are thanking me for putting microchips in your brain.

TRAVIS BENTLEY

I was depressed before the chips, now I constantly hear voices which say things like hang in their buddy, don't worry everything will be just fine and how a frown is just a upside down smile.

TOM MANNING

Well, my administration wanted to put microchips in peoples brains just so we could let them know tat a frown is an upside down smile.

TRAVIS BENTLEY

Come next election, you have my vote Mr. President.

Tom settles down.

TOM MANNING

Good to know.

Travis turns to leave then looks over his shoulder at Tom.

TRAVIS BENTLEY

But if I ever find out you are working with the shape shifting, inter dimensional reptiles; then I'll shoot you.

TOM MANNING

Glad you meet an American who is doing something about the shaping shifting, inter dimensional reptile situation.

TRAVIS BENTLEY

They don't know who they are dealing with. I'll get them someday, and you to if you ever get in league with them.

TOM MANNING

Good to know.

The Travis runs off and Tom looks down at Baxter who looks up at him as he wags his tail.

TOM MANNING

Well, I guess I have the deranged, insane American's vote.

Tom jogs off as Baxter follows.

TOM MANNING

Seem nice enough, for a lunatic. Of course, now I have to worry about that guy killing me because I am teaming up with the evil reptiles.

Tom looks down at Baxter as they jog.

TOM MANNING

I really am trying to ally myself with the interplanetary aliens Baxter.

Baxter wags his tail as they both jog away.

INT. WATER COOLER LATER

Dan looks stands beside the water cooler and seems to think as he drinks water from a paper cup. Tom walks towards the water cooler as Baxter follows. Tom is grinning.

TOM MANNING

I knew I would find by the water cooler Dan.

DAN POWERS

I need water because I'm parched. I really need H20 right now.

TOM MANNING

Dan, you can wait out the clock in yours our my office. Other people in this administration might need to use the water cooler to.

DAN POWERS

If I waited out the clock and did nothing in my office, that would be unethical. But labor laws say that a employee is aloud to take a break for some refreshing water.

TOM MANNING

Dan, I know damn well you have been waiting here counting the seconds till you can go home.

Dan takes a sip from his water a nods.

DAN POWERS

Seem more upbeat then this morning.

TOM MANNING

I went for a jog to be among my fellow Americans.

DAN POWERS

You only do that on Mondays.

TOM MANNING

I like to start my week off that way because that is about the best part of the job, blowing the average American's mind when they see the president out with the people and tells anyone to call him Tom.

Dan looks at Tom.

DAN POWERS

You know what they say about nice guys finishing last.

TOM MANNING

Nice guys might finish first if they married a woman who has never heard of the word nice and destroys her husbands foes.

DAN POWERS

So what happened on your jog?

TOM MANNING

I ran into a fellow American who, well, from the fact he was dressed in military fatigues and had a Mohawk; well if you looked up presidential assassin in the dictionary this guy picture would be beside it.

DAN POWERS

So when does running into a potential assassin to improve your day.

TOM MANNING

He has me cornered and reaches into a his coat; I thought he was going for a gun.

DAN POWERS

For a normal administration, it would have been a gun, though I'm sure what he did not pull out a gun but something hilarious.

TOM MANNING

He fulls out some greeting card which was very nice and thanked me for helping him.

DAN POWERS

Well, your administration has done nothing for the economy and that fact that president Manning has a reputation among the leaders of the world as a jack ass who likes to fuck with people and that some world leaders don't like you because they think you are some low brow asshole who is not fit to be a meter maid.

Tom looks at him.

TOM MANNING

Dan, we've been buddies for awhile and men as buddies are different then women buddies. Women friends are sensitive about each other feelings, guys as buddies then to want to fuck with each other. Even when you ruined the latest Kill Difficult by telling me the terrorist lose.

DAN POWERS

Sorry I ruined that film for you, I know you love those movies.

TOM MANNING

Just keeps my fantasy of terrorists taking over the white house and me have to take them one on one in some really implausible game of cat and mouse.

DAN POWERS

So you can be James Melloy, the hero from the Kill Difficult film.

TOM MANNING

A man can dream.

DAN SINGING

If that ever happens, you might want to get the first lady to take out the terrorist. Sorry Tom, that situation might want to be handled by a guy who wants to be liberal and only got this job because he happened to end up with a woman who, well as everyone in the town knows, is very good at verbally destroying people or taking really embarrassing pictures of people.

TOM MANNING

True Dan, the only reason I got to be the senator of Rhode Island was because of the misses. He kept telling voters I was a liberal who was to soft on crime and lacked the nerve it took to be leader. This real conservative asshole called Armstrong.

DAN POWERS

And how did your wife deal with him.

TOM MANNING

Well Armstrong, like a lot of rich conservatives, goes to that summer retreat in California every summer to be at a place where no women are allowed.

DAN POWERS

No chicks, I I know about that retreat is that the men who go there like to piss on trees in the open. Sounds kind of gay.

TOM MANNING

I wife got in there somehow, because it is not gay like you think Dan, Armstrong like the other conservatives like to put on plays, of course since all cast are men; well the men have to dress in drag.

DAN POWERS

I guess that it was not as gay as I thought.

TOM MANNING

A picture of Armstrong ends up in a Rhode Island news paper, of Armstrong dress like Cher.

DAN POWERS

He should have gone with Ms. Munroe, a little less gay then Cher.

TOM MANNING

I'm a progressive liberal so I must be respectful to the voter who prefers his own gender then to the opposite. But my wife figured how to use the homophobia of the American voter to our benefit. When ever I run for office, well, really sexually ambiguous pictures of my opponent always get released to the public somehow.

DAN POWERS

I like most men don't like to talk about the gay thing.

TOM MANNING

Well, like any man I have some reservations about the topic; but they vote to and a represent them.

DAN POWERS

I like most men don't like the subject, not out of hate, but because I'm smart enough to know it brings up a question that some men should never ask themselves.

TOM MANNING

What question is that Dan.

DAN POWERS

If you like us, a hedro male, then you would never ask yourself a question some guys should never ask themselves; would I be happier with a dude then a chick.

TOM MANNING

Well, to each his own.

DAN POWERS

But you are the straightest man I ever met Tom.

TOM MANNING

Like we said, guys like to fuck with each other.

DAN POWERS

I'm serious, if I went a year without sex with my wife; well then I would start finding commercials for dish soap somewhat of a turn on.

Dan looks at Tom.

DAN POWERS

Yet you facing the worst week in what is to be the pinnacle of your career; and you either talk nostalgically about the fact she is ruthless or you piss and moan about her not sharing your feelings. And all that to make a woman happy who, well, does not give you something that a husband needs occasionally.

TOM MANNING

Well, political like prepared me for a mostly sexless marriage.

DAN POWERS

How so?

TOM MANNING

When I became that well meaning, somewhat of a push over of a senator from Rhode Island my approval ratings where in the toilet. The whole four years I had poor approval ratings; well it prepared me for a sexless marriage.

DAN POWERS

Can I ask why running into a guy who you thought might kill you who turns out to thank the president for helping him and has you back to talking happily how your wife destroys your rivals.

TOM MANNING

Because it put this job in context. This administration is runs a business called America, I am the manager and you and the administration are my staff. But Americans don't pay us with money, they pay us with votes. And I don't want to be the manager who turns away customers, because even that guy may look like a wacko to most, and want to be the manager who is cool and treats his staff with respect and does every thing he can for every customer to decide to come into our shop.

Dan powers

Perhaps you, and the rest of the guys in your administration should open a restaurant together. If we fuck that up, well a few people get food poisoning. If we fuck up this situation with Ivan, well you, your business and every customer who have will have a nuclear weapon dropped on them by another business, whose manager, unlike you; does not care of people like him.

TOM MANNING

Why I decided to be the well meaning liberal, because I have not lost my faith in people Dan.

DAN POWERS

Well, the naive liberal might want to worry about the day his wife finally figures that she would be happier if she ran off to the worst shit hole on this planet and found a husband who calls himself a warlord and eats people. That seems like someone she would have something in common with.

TOM MANNING

Opposites attract, yin and yang and the usual crap. Two opposite forces finding balance in each other.

DAN POWERS

I could say this situation is like some platitude that you read in a fortune; but I would say that your situation with your wife is more like nitroglycerin in a paint mixer. Tom, what happens when you finally just say that you love her and have spent thirty years stuck with a career you did not want to kept with her happier, and she since she could not be sensitive to how you feel and tells you that she does not feel the same way; you where just some washed up quarterback who she used for her career.

TOM MANNING

Thanks Dan, your my top guy in here and you did not blow smoke up my ass and let me feel good for winning the approval of a rather scary looking fellow American, I just reminded me that my administration is in a crisis, but All I'm worried about is that with my wife thinking I'm screwing around, I am going to have to have a concentration with my wife and risk confirming a fear which has plague him since I married her, does she fell anything to me or is she just riding my low brow, liberal ass into the oval office.

DAN POWERS

I won't blow smoke up your ass because we are buddies and sometimes a Buddie will be the only guy with the balls to tell that other buddy something no one else can. You worry so much about making your wife happy, why have you never asked yourself how does she worry about making Tom Manning happy.

TOM MANNING

Well, thanks for preparing me for the worst case scenario Dan.

Dan crumples the paper cup and throws it away.

DAN POWERS

All this talk about relationships and your feelings, it is getting kind of girlie so we better go back to fucking with each other for laughs.

Tom manning

I you are my top guy in this place Dan because some of the others I considered for the job acted all politically and wanted politics to be kid friendly; but I life time spent in this career made me realize; politics just sometimes needs someone to say the word fuck.

DAN POWERS

I'll just say that I heard the next kill difficult just got green lighted. So I read the script on the internet, apparently the internet has a another aside from pornography, like helping me ruin the next Kill Difficult for my boss.

TOM MANNING

Thanks for ruining it for me, let me guess, the terrorists loose.

DAN POWERS

Yeah, but you probably would not like that film.

TOM MANNING

Why, I know damn well the hero beats the terrorist every time.

DAN POWERS

It would just make you realize that terrorists will never capture the white house so Tom stands up to his wife after he gains his self respect by taking out some terrorists.

TOM MANNING

I know why you and like almost every guy in the country loves those films, because the guy in that movie is what most men aspire to be, that no matter how badly you get you ass kicked, well you don't give up and keep getting up until you finally beat the bad guy.

Tom then walks away.

TOM MANNING

Now that I helped me today, I was feeling better about things buy getting the approval of that scary American with the Mohawk; but of course Dan the man had to drag me back down to earth. Know I go to my office and try not to fuck this situation up, and hope when I finally must to have that conversation with my wife, well I prepare myself for when she says something I've dreaded hearing for almost three decades no. Thanks to my Secretary of Defense.

Dan watches him walk away as Baxter follows. Dan frowns.

DAN POWERS

Several decades sticking to my career, and the boss I get and what should be the pinnacle of all the years I spent in this town, and I get the boss who does the one thing any boss should not do, become friends with your employees. Because if someone in this administration ever became a liability to his office, I know damn well Tom would sooner get impeached rather then throw one of his buddies at work under the bus. That is why I like this job, this whole situation could be a huge disaster for America, yet I got Tom's back because unlike every other boss I had, he wants his employees to think he is cool and I know he has our backs to.

Dan then looks at the portrait of F.D.R. behind the water cooler.

DAN POWERS

And if the ghost of Roosevelt is trapped in that portrait, and every president who ever occupied that office is watching all of us from paintings, forgive Tom; he just has to figure that his career and marriage are the same thing.

Dan then walks away.

DAN POWERS

I think I'm going home early, I did what any subordinate should do, prepare his boss for the worst case scenario. Besides I really need to watch the patriots game and eat a bowl of pretzels and bang my wife, all this talk about feelings is making me feel insecure about my manhood so I'll get it back with football and banging my wife.

Forum List

Back