Pick One Period Movie You Consider The Best of the Best

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
For me it's Master and Commander.

OIP.ZFQXu1_B5_-gj-80uRQvngHaDB

Master and Commander is a good one
So many good ones to choose from. True Grit in both versions. My mom and 5 sisters would go with Little Women.
I would also go with Inherit The Wind.

One distinction. Are period movies fiction (or loosely based on a real story/people) or do they include historical movies?

To me my favorite historical movie is Tora Tora Tora, but I don't consider that a period piece.

Low brows .
I stick with Citizen Kane though Vertigo has been moving steadily toward the top in the last ten years .

Also , Last Year in Marienbad , and L'Aventura have stuck in my memory .

Period Movies ??Never heard of that perversion .
It really sounds disgusting and messy .

First for me.

Second, Unforgiven.
Too many great period pieces to choose from. As for Unforgiven, it gave a more accurate depiction of elements of the old west, none of that street face off gunfight between two individuals and sleeping on the ground between towns wasn't always pleasant weather. So, that made it better than most.
As for a pure action shoot'em up western, I would have to go with the outrageous "Wild Bunch," with William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Warren Oates, Ben Johnson and Robert Ryan.

Too many great period pieces to choose from. As for Unforgiven, it gave a more accurate depiction of elements of the old west, none of that street face off gunfight between two individuals and sleeping on the ground between towns wasn't always pleasant weather. So, that made it better than most.
As for a pure action shoot'em up western, I would have to go with the outrageous "Wild Bunch," with William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Warren Oates, Ben Johnson and Robert Ryan.

I always have a soft spot for Hang em High. Eastwood, a Western AND a revenge tale???

Count me in.

Forum List

Back