Philly to dim lights to make it safer for birds in flight

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The lights of Philadelphia might not shine as bright in the coming weeks as a coalition in the City of Brotherly Love tries to prevent millions of migrating birds that pass through twice a year from slamming into skyscrapers and crashing to the sidewalk.

Bird Safe Philly on Thursday announced the Lights Out Philly initiative, a voluntary program in which as many external and internal lights in buildings are turned off or dimmed at night during the spring and fall.

The problem of artificial lights attracting birds to their deaths in the city is not new.

“We have specimens in the academy’s ornithology collection from a kill that happened when lights were first installed on Philadelphia’s City Hall tower in 1896,” said Jason Weckstein, associate curator of ornithology at Drexel University’s Academy of Natural Sciences.

This is an excellent step.

The lights of Philadelphia might not shine as bright in the coming weeks as a coalition in the City of Brotherly Love tries to prevent millions of migrating birds that pass through twice a year from slamming into skyscrapers and crashing to the sidewalk.

Bird Safe Philly on Thursday announced the Lights Out Philly initiative, a voluntary program in which as many external and internal lights in buildings are turned off or dimmed at night during the spring and fall.

The problem of artificial lights attracting birds to their deaths in the city is not new.

“We have specimens in the academy’s ornithology collection from a kill that happened when lights were first installed on Philadelphia’s City Hall tower in 1896,” said Jason Weckstein, associate curator of ornithology at Drexel University’s Academy of Natural Sciences.

It truly is.

But I do have a problem here. What do I tell the next chicken I eat? Sorry for turning the lights on you pal.....................Just sayin.........Chickens lives matter too don't they? All birds lives matters don't they.

Now if we could only care about the overall condition of the children in our country like we do with birds, but first things first. We'll get there long down the road though. Keep the hope.

Maybe...it's a matter of respecting lives, whether chicken or cow or human?

The world includes predators it's part of the cycle.

We should respect them, and give them the best lives we can even if we eat them.

It truly is.

But I do have a problem here. What do I tell the next chicken I eat? Sorry for turning the lights on you pal.....................Just sayin.........Chickens lives matter too don't they? All birds lives matters don't they.

Now if we could only care about the overall condition of the children in our country like we do with birds, but first things first. We'll get there long down the road though. Keep the hope.

We should respect them, and give them the best lives we can even if we eat them.
What about the smuggled children soon to be sex workers living in tuna cans? Not heard about that since Jan 23...Why?

Reminds me of a dinner function years ago when a PETA type person was lecturing all of us about animals. She was making a point with her fork, on it a big hunk of beef.............................I belly laughed so hard followed by the whole table. We made a fool of that woman and she left early.

I always seem to severely humiliate hypocrites to where they don't even feel human...lol...love it. So many hypocrites to prove phony with their phony lives and phony hypocrite fork tongues

You are off topic, this about a valid environmental concern that needs to be applauded and copied, cities are over lighted as it is, it needs tp be greatly dimmed for belter environmental settings.

Is that some kind of political gimmick to avoid attention to the 27 wind turbine farms in Pa. that kill migratory birds on a regular basis? Former, former president Obama gave the wind turbine industry immunity from responsibility for killing migratory birds for the next 30 years including a maximum of 4,500 eagles in a year.

That is a lot of birds running into buildings! Especially when you consider that many more almost certainly collide without dying.

It truly is.

so says the person that has no respect for human life and promotes the killing of unborn children,,,

It truly is.

so says the person that has no respect for human life and promotes the killing of unborn children,,,

Coming from a person who promotes child abuse your comment is laughable.

It truly is.

Lol @ you 2. I deleted my posts because of being ragged on as off topic......lol............out of respect for the thread....................lol.......................Boy was I a fucking idiot......................lolol

It truly is.

when did I promote child abuse???

oh thats right,, you think allowing a child to live is abuse,,
you baby killers are all the same,, PATHETIC,,

but sure lets protect the birds cause they are more precious than human life,,

Last edited:

It truly is.

Your definition of "precious" stops at birth and at the border where you child abusers justify your abuse

It truly is.

Your definition of "precious" stops at birth and at the border where you child abusers justify your abuse
your projecting again,,

I care deeply after birth and why I believing in taking care of children and not killing them because they are inconvenient,,,

and the ones at the border are all dems fault for misleading them into believing their salvation lies with them abandoning their home country and coming here where dems lock them in cages or enter them into a lifetime of welfare where they will be stuck for life as third class people,,

nice try though,,

opriate.

It truly is.

Lol @ you 2. I deleted my posts because of being ragged on as off topic......lol............out of respect for the thread....................lol.......................Boy was I a fucking idiot......................lolol
I wish you wouldn't have deleted them.

I understood what you were saying and at times I feel the same.

opriate.

It truly is.

I wish you wouldn't have deleted them.

I understood what you were saying and at times I feel the same.
LOL! I delete posts to be a smart ass to the smart asses who are Hall Monitors and judge a post and don't say a dern other thing........lolol..............Now your thread is a shit fest about abortion and child abuse.....................LOLOL.......................Shit load away from birds smacking themselves in buildings

Forum List

Back