Philly teachers dig deep to fill in gaps as budget crunch continues

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
09/26/2013

The day before school started this month, Anissa Weinraub got the email she’d been waiting for all summer: She had been re-hired by the Philadelphia School District.

Then, panic set in. She had four hours to meet her new colleagues at Heston School in West Philly, find her classroom and locate the cafeteria “so I could pretend like I knew where things were [and] how the school functioned.” And then she went to Staples and Target and spent nearly $500 on copy paper, computer cords and other items just to get her classroom up and running.

She already knows what she’ll be requesting from friends and family for her birthday: Schoolbooks and paper.

This school year, teachers who returned to work on an expired contract, and to schools running without librarians or sufficient counselors, secretaries and nurses, say they’re paying more than ever out of pocket and taking on more extra work than ever before. They get $100 from the School District each year in reimbursements. These days, they say, that doesn’t begin to cover their costs.

“There’s never been a time when we’ve had everything we’ve needed, but it’s gotten really tight in the last couple years,” says Daniel Meier, social-studies department chairman at Northeast High. “Budget cuts have been really taking hold. They’ve become bigger and bigger, and I’ve been spending more and more, as we’re not provided with many of the things we used to be provided with.”

read more Philly teachers dig deep to fill in gaps as budget crunch continues :: News :: Philadelphia City Paper

Forum List

Back