Peter O'Toole RIP

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
What can I say? Except thanks for the memories.

article-2524166-196DB10D000005DC-625_634x404.jpg

article-2524166-1A20168B00000578-959_634x427.jpg

I loved him in everything. My favorite was Lion in Winter though.

Lawrence of Arabia

T.E. Lawrence must be the strangest hero ever to stand at the center of an epic. To play him, Lean cast one of the strangest of actors, Peter O'Toole, a lanky, almost clumsy man with a beautiful sculptured face and a speaking manner that hesitates between amusement and insolence. O'Toole's assignment was a delicate one. Although it was widely believed that Lawrence was a homosexual, a multimillion-dollar epic filmed in 1962 could not be frank about that. And yet Lean and his writer, Robert Bolt, didn't simply cave in and rewrite Lawrence into a routine action hero. Everything is here for those willing to look for it.

Using O'Toole's peculiar speech and manner as their instrument, they created a character who combined charisma and craziness, who was so different from conventional military heroes that he could inspire the Arabs to follow him in a mad march across the desert. There is a moment in the movie when O'Toole, dressed in the flowing white robes of a desert sheik, does a victory dance on top of a captured Turkish train, and he almost seems to be posing for fashion photos. This is a curious scene because it seems to flaunt gay stereotypes, and yet none of the other characters in the movie seem to notice--nor do they take much notice of the two young desert urchins that Lawrence takes under his protection.

Lawrence of Arabia Review -- Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival

Lion in Winter for me. I went to the theater over and over and over.

Psttttttttttttttttt kids. We didn't have netflix We used to go to movies :lol: With popcorn. With popcorn with coconut oil OMG Bloomberg is stroking out at this.

And sit in a theatre And wait for wonderful.

O'Toole played the antagonist Roman General Silva in Masada....
masada%20n1.jpg

Barabara Carrera, who incidently has the best ass in the world,

barbara-carrera-bond-Copy.jpg

played Shiva, Silva’s Jewish mistress/slave.

Ay Carrumba!

I loved him in the Tudors! One of my favorite series ever. He was Pope Paul III.

Peter O’Toole gives awesomly candid interview about The Tudors.

As if he weren’t great already, and we know he is, Peter O’Toole just opened the vault in this interview he gave to TV Guide about playing Pope Paul III on The Tudors.

There are only three questions, but he manages to answer with more panache than any other actor I’ve read about in ages. Read the highlights after the jump.

• On why he signed on to the show, which he said is beautifully written: “Pope Paul III was the greatest thief in the history of the church. The guy skinned ‘em!”

• On being raised in the Catholic Church: “Unfortunately, there were some wonky priests who tried to touch you up. … It was abominable. I was lucky; I wasn’t touched by it. The hard kids put a needle in their jeans so that when the priest went to touch them they got a nasty shock.”

• On the state of acting: “Acting today is s–t. … The power (of the actor) has been taken away. There are only three indispensable things: the audience, the actor and the author. The rest is dross.”

http://www.everyjoe.com/2008/04/04/...s-awesomly-candid-interview-about-the-tudors/

tudors_otoole.thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Lawrence of Arabia

T.E. Lawrence must be the strangest hero ever to stand at the center of an epic. To play him, Lean cast one of the strangest of actors, Peter O'Toole, a lanky, almost clumsy man with a beautiful sculptured face and a speaking manner that hesitates between amusement and insolence. O'Toole's assignment was a delicate one. Although it was widely believed that Lawrence was a homosexual, a multimillion-dollar epic filmed in 1962 could not be frank about that. And yet Lean and his writer, Robert Bolt, didn't simply cave in and rewrite Lawrence into a routine action hero. Everything is here for those willing to look for it.

Using O'Toole's peculiar speech and manner as their instrument, they created a character who combined charisma and craziness, who was so different from conventional military heroes that he could inspire the Arabs to follow him in a mad march across the desert. There is a moment in the movie when O'Toole, dressed in the flowing white robes of a desert sheik, does a victory dance on top of a captured Turkish train, and he almost seems to be posing for fashion photos. This is a curious scene because it seems to flaunt gay stereotypes, and yet none of the other characters in the movie seem to notice--nor do they take much notice of the two young desert urchins that Lawrence takes under his protection.

Lawrence of Arabia Review -- Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival

Notice that O'Tooles feet seem to dancing on the heads of the Arabs, a truly cultural gaffe juxtaposed against one of the movies' greatest artistic scenes.

Amazing!

RIP

Last edited:

Forum List

Back