Peter Bogdanovich, the Oscar-nominated director of 'The Last Picture Show, and "Paper Moon" dead at 82

skye

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2012
Bogdanovich died early Thursday morning at his home in Los Angeles, said his daughter, Antonia Bogdanovich. She said he died of natural causes.

PB directing Cybill Sheprd in "The Last Picture Show" (1971)

That was a great movie.

1641516283686.png

PB on the set of "Paper Moon" (1973) directing Tatum O'Neill and her father Ryan.

1641517041815.png

Bogdanovich died early Thursday morning at his home in Los Angeles, said his daughter, Antonia Bogdanovich. She said he died of natural causes.

Such a shame... To die so young.

"Why dont you love me" written and played by Hank Williams is the main theme of the film The Last Picture Show (1971).

Peter Bogdanovich was a great director!:clap: great sense of music too in all his films....his talent will be surely missed.

hank williams - why dont you love me (from the last picture show)​

"Why dont you love me" written and played by Hank Williams is the main theme of the film The Last Picture Show (1971).

Peter Bogdanovich was a great director!:clap: great sense of music too in all his films....his talent will be surely missed.

Loved that movie!

as Peter's films bombed in the mid-70s, legendary filmmaker and wit Billy Wilder reportedly quipped, “It isn’t true that Hollywood is a bitter place divided by hatred, greed, and jealousy. All it takes to bring everyone together is another flop by Peter Bogdanovich.”

Bogdanovich wrote a tell-all book called "The Killing of the Unicorn: Dorothy Stratten", in which he accused Hugh Hefner of having played a key role in destroying Stratten. Hefner answered with some ugly accusations of his own regarding Bogdanovich’s relationship with Stratten’s teenage sister Louise, claiming Bogdanovich had begun dating Louise when she was 13, and paid for plastic surgery designed to make her look more like Dorothy. Bogdanovich hotly denied the claims and married Louise when she turned 20 and he was nearly 50, kicking off a tabloid feeding-frenzy.

PB directing Cybill Sheprd in "The Last Picture Show" (1971)

That was a great movie.

View attachment 584617
Forgive me for disagreeing. The theme of this movie was: Sexual Perversion and Depravity. It featured three acts of sexual molestation of minors by adults, one of them intellectually disabled. There were also numerous acts of premarital sex, frontal nudity, even a suggestion of sex with animals (which was in the original script, but changed to having the intellectually disabled boy have sex with an obese prostitute).

Forgive me for disagreeing. The theme of this movie was: Sexual Perversion and Depravity. It featured three acts of sexual molestation of minors by adults, one of them intellectually disabled. There were also numerous acts of premarital sex, frontal nudity, even a suggestion of sex with animals (which was in the original script, but changed to having the intellectually disabled boy have sex with an obese prostitute).

That's your opinion.

The movie was a great movie! one of the best movies, not only in my opinion but in the opinion of great many experts.

"The Last Picture Show was theatrically released on October 22, 1971, by Columbia Pictures. It was a critical and commercial success, grossing $29 million on a $1.3 million budget, and was nominated for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor for Johnson and Bridges, and Best Supporting Actress for Burstyn and Leachman, with Johnson and Leachman winning.

In 1998, the Library of Congress selected the film for preservation in the United States National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant."

That's your opinion.

The movie was a great movie! one of the best movies, not only in my opinion but in the opinion of great many experts.

"The Last Picture Show was theatrically released on October 22, 1971, by Columbia Pictures. It was a critical and commercial success, grossing $29 million on a $1.3 million budget, and was nominated for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor for Johnson and Bridges, and Best Supporting Actress for Burstyn and Leachman, with Johnson and Leachman winning.

In 1998, the Library of Congress selected the film for preservation in the United States National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant."

I'm well aware it was popular. But as i said, it portrayed rape of minors by adults on three different occasions. That alone should get it banned. If the Hollywood Left banned Song of the South, they should certainly ban this.

Last edited:
I'm well aware it was popular. But as i said, it portrayed rape of minors by adults on three different occasions. That alone should get it banned. If the Hollywood Left banned Song of the South, they should certainly ban this.

I still don't agree with you. Not one bit. Sorry.

A 'colorful' life? He left his wife and three kids to cohabitate with his young co-star. His films featured sexual perversion of all types. This man was not a positive influence on society.

Troubled dude with a messed up personal life. But...that's Hollywood.

Forum List

Back