Pet advice!

I am looking into getting a reptile. I was REALLY wanting an Iguana, but my mind has changed.. They just seem to get too damn big! SO I am thinking of a little lizard(a foot to 2 feet grown). I am really wanting something very calm and likes to just sit there and be lazy and pet.. Any ideas? DO you have any? Why do you like them?

Iguanas bet big and mean, and at some point, they will hurt you. If you are wanting a Lizard, I second the bearded dragon, and uromastix. I lean towards the beardi though. They tolerate handling better then other Lizards in my opinion, grow to an impressive size, but not HUGE, and are active enough to be entertaining. Of all the Lizards, bearded dragons are my favorite. Ill get my Son to clean his room, and send you some pics of his set up.

LOL please do that! Iguanas or bearded, one of them, get real aggressive during "heat". Just keep them shits in the cage lol! Dont the bearded gets to be around 2 foot or so? That can be handled

My husband's fave. Again, gorgeous, easy to maintain, easy to handle (lizards really do like being held unless you get into the bigger tegus or monitors).

Leopard gecko. I mean how beautiful can you get?

carrot-tail-leopard-gecko.jpg

I highly recommend the bearded dragon. They are easier then most to take care of and they are eager to interact with you. If you have a kitty they will get along as well. They will reach 18-22 inches.

I am looking into getting a reptile. I was REALLY wanting an Iguana, but my mind has changed.. They just seem to get too damn big! SO I am thinking of a little lizard(a foot to 2 feet grown). I am really wanting something very calm and likes to just sit there and be lazy and pet.. Any ideas? DO you have any? Why do you like them?

Iguanas bet big and mean, and at some point, they will hurt you. If you are wanting a Lizard, I second the bearded dragon, and uromastix. I lean towards the beardi though. They tolerate handling better then other Lizards in my opinion, grow to an impressive size, but not HUGE, and are active enough to be entertaining. Of all the Lizards, bearded dragons are my favorite. Ill get my Son to clean his room, and send you some pics of his set up.

LOL please do that! Iguanas or bearded, one of them, get real aggressive during "heat". Just keep them shits in the cage lol! Dont the bearded gets to be around 2 foot or so? That can be handled

The biggest bearded dragon I have seen was about a foot long. Its owner would make clothes for it. The Iguana I had was about 5 foot long. Between the two, I would take a pissed off Bearded any day.

Iguana teeth-

vikki_big_bite_wound.jpg

Teeth and claws-

bite_wounds50.jpg

Every time I would go to clean its cage I would have to dress for combat. It would always climb when it heard me coming, and it would whip at my face with its tail. When I had to grab it, I was guaranteed a good bite and clawing. Iguanas are bad news. And yeah, when there little rut is on, they are flat out nasty, nasty, nasty.

Definately not them. Those rambunctious kids would meet PAIN lol

TD, they just dont get as big as wanted.. and LOL @ your story!
Pretty picky about it, but why not? This is a long committment.. hopefully :)

Sometimes you just learn by disaster. We were big into fish tanks (and watch out you get addicted and before you know it you become Sea World :))

So we were building the "perfect" South American aquarium and going right by the Axelrod rules. You have to build up slow with tanks.

We were at the tetra stage. Had a nice little school of neons and decided next step we'll add these these very beautiful tetras called serpaes.

OMG we put them in and it was like we added a pod of homocidal freaking killer whales. It was horrible.

There were scales, gills and fins everywhere. Not one neon made it. Yikes. Thank heavens the kids didn't see it. You learn as you go. You try your hardest, but sometimes Murphy's Law takes over.

:eusa_angel:

Good luck. I'll keep checking in to see how you are doing in your quest.

Last edited:
I remember seeing somewhere that Gilas were around with the dinosaurs. Interesting

Iguanas are big, and they require gloves to handle them. I wouldn't recommend them as a pet. They can whip you pretty hard....:D. Have you ever that of getting a gecko lizard? I've handled one in a environmental science class. They have pokey needles on their legs and arms. They tickle. But they are small and fun to have them walk around your sweater. They don't need a huge tank, etc.. Easy to maintain. Feed them crickets and melee worms.

Last edited:
I like the little green one.

We have western alligator lizards around here...you can find them if you're lucky, in the summer, and they are very cool.

I've also lived where there are horny toads....and blue-tailed lizards. When you find one it's like a little treasure.

I've just never felt like keeping them in the house. We kept the little western alligator in the house for a while, but he always got out and finally he got out for good or we turned him loose. I remember he bit my brother's nose, pulled off a tiny little tag of skin (didn't bleed that I recall, just a tiny little scrape) and ate it. Gross!

Forum List

Back