Pet advice!

Just found a 20 gallon terrarium starter kit for 150 bucks! It is specifically for bearded dragons.

gila2a.jpg

Which is that?

Don't pick up one of those...they're poison, lol.

One of what was once thought of the only two venomous lizards on the planet, excep that I think komodo dragons are considered venomous now to.

Which is that?

One of what was once thought of the only two venomous lizards on the planet, excep that I think komodo dragons are considered venomous now to.

Komodos aren't technically venomous but they might as well be, their bites are so nasty and toxic that it is what eventually brings most of their prey down. They bite and let go, and then just wait.

Interesting trivia...pretty much every komodo lizard expert ends up as a meal.

That is probably a slight exaggeration, lol.

But there have been at least two experts who *disappeared* while studying them. One wasn't that long ago.

Komodos aren't technically venomous but they might as well be, their bites are so nasty and toxic that it is what eventually brings most of their prey down. They bite and let go, and then just wait.

Its a great debate. Last I heard Dragons were venomous, but you are libel to get rolled if you state it as fact. Interesting critters nonetheless. There grooved bottom teeth are what I find interesting. Mexican beaded lizards, and Gila's have them to.

I am looking into getting a reptile. I was REALLY wanting an Iguana, but my mind has changed.. They just seem to get too damn big! SO I am thinking of a little lizard(a foot to 2 feet grown). I am really wanting something very calm and likes to just sit there and be lazy and pet.. Any ideas? DO you have any? Why do you like them?

Best advice for something thinking of shelling out hundreds of bucks for a reptile?

Adopt a dog or cat.

:eusa_angel:

Its a great debate. Last I heard Dragons were venomous, but you are libel to get rolled if you state it as fact. Interesting critters nonetheless. There grooved bottom teeth are what I find interesting. Mexican beaded lizards, and Gila's have them to.

From what I understand they are not "venomous" per se..but the stuff they eat stays lodged in their jaws and forms deadly bacteria. When you get bit..that bacteria gets transferred.

Ouch.

From what I understand they are not "venomous" per se..but the stuff they eat stays lodged in their jaws and forms deadly bacteria. When you get bit..that bacteria gets transferred.

Ouch.

Thats what they say. Here is a cool article, thats a good read.-

Mystery of the Komodo dragon's poisonous bite is solved - it's down to terrible dental hygiene | Mail Online

Pretty interesting that 90+% of the bacteria found in there mouth can be considered pathinogenic. Awesome animals.

I am looking into getting a reptile. I was REALLY wanting an Iguana, but my mind has changed.. They just seem to get too damn big! SO I am thinking of a little lizard(a foot to 2 feet grown). I am really wanting something very calm and likes to just sit there and be lazy and pet.. Any ideas? DO you have any? Why do you like them?

Best advice for something thinking of shelling out hundreds of bucks for a reptile?

Adopt a dog or cat.

:eusa_angel:

cant have either

Reptiles carry salmonella...

... not good to have around kids...

... get a stuffed dog or cat...

... den ya don't have to worry `bout `em...

... poopin' onna floor in front of yer guests.
:cool:

Well ordered a Citrus Bearded Dragon. Went and got the terrarium and all his goodies on Sat. He should be here before 10:30 tomorrow! I am excited! WE ALL ARE!
Got to run to petsmart today, forget a thermometer and ran out of backdrop for the tank. Got him a rock house, hammock, log and stick that attaches to the glass. USed reptile carpet because I figured the sand would be everywhere after a while.. Uv bulb, dark light and basting light. He is ready! Last night I also ordered some epoxy, a cable lock and some cable clamps for the cage. Too many young kids lol

Did you order from Lynn's ? And keep an eye on the hot rock. They can get pretty hot them selves. Cute little bastards aren't they ?

Forum List

Back