Pay Your Debts Snowflakes- Student Loans Just Got A Lot More Expensive

no they don't work for FREE , professors work for MONEY and they work to be paid LOTS of money OldRocks and EWings .
Hardly nothing compared to the college head football coach..
--------------------------------------- AGREED , feck all sports coaches in school or college but they are ok with me in private sports business which i have no use for . You make an accurate observation , get rid of sports coaches in college and university and public schools , they only cost money Moonglow .

Gee why did I not see this coming with this administration?

This all started when the government got into the college loan business dimwit.

This thread is about a raise in school loans, not how it started..

School loans were never intended to be to the students. They were intended for the parents, and the purpose was to allow those parents to INVEST their college savings funds while the student was attending school.

School loans were never intended to be to the students. They were intended for the parents, and the purpose was to allow those parents to INVEST their college savings funds while the student was attending school.

Than why are students left holding the bag?
I know my parents would have rather paid for my college rather than put a crushing debt on my back right out of college.
And back before the gov got into the college loan business it was far more affordable.

Sorry but if the GOP wants to stay in charge then they better not ignore this issue and treat college like it is really a choice.

Yes not everyone needs to go to college, but the job market is becoming slimmer and slimmer for non-college grads. Yes there are blue collar jobs like electricians, construction and manufacturing, but these jobs are paying less and less, becoming more technical and many want college grads. That little piece of paper is becoming essential.

Yet costs are skyrocketing and our children are becoming slaves to this debt. It is non-dischargable via BK, the Fed Loans don't even need to take you the court to garnish your wages and they stay with you until they are paid off.

So you can call them snowflakes or dead beats, but all you do is lose the middle.

Also don't say public schools are all awful. The public schools that are awful are always the inner city school with one persuasion of children (not PC but the truth), suburb and charter schools rank right there at the top with private schools. In IL, New Trier, Barrington HS, Naperville North, Deerfield, Stevenson, Hershey, Fremd, etc rank right there with the top private schools.

It works at the highschool level it can work at the college level.

Last edited:

I have 2 boys in college right now who both have college funds and savings... The expense of college today , is what a Doctoral Degree was 15-20 years ago..And just made worse with this damn hurdle for them to get over..

No one unless if you are rich can save that, so they have to take out a loan.

I have 2 boys in college right now who both have college funds and savings... The expense of college today , is what a Doctoral Degree was 15-20 years ago..And just made worse with this damn hurdle for them to get over..

If the gov hadnt gotten involved college would be far more affordable and you wouldnt need those astronomical loans.

My son graduates from college tomorrow. His student loan debt is right at the average, a little over thirty grand. He starts his job on Monday and will close on his new house on his 22nd birthday in a couple of weeks.

Nice to see kids doing well these days.
Unlike my neighbors thirty year old son thats never held a job.

Bad parents.

My kids received luggage on their 18th birthday with a card that read; Either full-time college which I will pay or use the luggage.

If the gov hadnt gotten involved college would be far more affordable and you wouldnt need those astronomical loans.

If you are referring to vouchers, I agree. Tax monies shouldn't go to private schools.

If you are referring to vouchers, I agree. Tax monies shouldn't go to private schools.

The government shouldnt be in the business of college loans.
Thats what drove up the prices.
So instead of a small investment in your kids future you now leave your kid with crushing debt.

I do not think you can blame the government. The fault lies in the false belief that everyone needs a college education. The high cost of college is driven by the "competition" for students, many who have no business being in college. The high cost is not driven by professor salaries, it is driven by plush student unions, luxury dorms, and in some cases--swimming pools and free ice cream.

The government shouldnt be in the business of college loans.
Thats what drove up the prices.
So instead of a small investment in your kids future you now leave your kid with crushing debt.

What drove up prices are lower tax monies going to schools.

Winston makes some good points in his post 52 . Still , the professors make too much money IMO !!

My son graduates from college tomorrow. His student loan debt is right at the average, a little over thirty grand. He starts his job on Monday and will close on his new house on his 22nd birthday in a couple of weeks.

Nice to see kids doing well these days.
Unlike my neighbors thirty year old son thats never held a job.

Bad parents.

My kids received luggage on their 18th birthday with a card that read; Either full-time college which I will pay or use the luggage.

I have came away from the experience of three kids in college being nothing but impressed with the young people my children have surrounded themselves. Despite the naysayers, I have total confidence in this new generation. They really are going to change the world, and for the better.

I do not think you can blame the government. The fault lies in the false belief that everyone needs a college education. The high cost of college is driven by the "competition" for students, many who have no business being in college. The high cost is not driven by professor salaries, it is driven by plush student unions, luxury dorms, and in some cases--swimming pools and free ice cream.

In today's world if you don't have at least a bachelors you don't have a chance getting a good job.. Look on craigslist and the pre-qualifications..
I will agree that some should go for a trade...

No, the high cost of college is driven by tax cutting, supply-side, voodoo, trickle down tax cuts. Tax cuts reduce revenue, those revenue reductions create deficits, to close those deficits states cut funding for public colleges and universities, which causes them to raise tuition, which causes students to borrow and go into debt.

This isn't about who you think should or should not attend college, this is about shifting the blame of high education costs on the institutions themselves or the students looking to attend, from the Conservatives whose tax-cutting, supply-side, trickle-down nonsense caused tuition costs to soar because tax cuts don't pay for themselves, never have and never will.

So that begs the obvious question; why do so many still support such stupid fiscal policy? The answer is obvious; people are stupid.

I was able to work in a restaurant and go to college

College Is for Coolies

Why are we required to respect that? It has nothing to do with whether you can do your job better than someone who didn't put himself through that insulting extra work. Sacrifice has no merit; it is nothing but brownnosing. And college is nothing but work without pay, which makes it the worse kind of slavery: slavery of those who should have the most natural talent to offer. But under the present unmotivating system, the colleges have to dredge from the shallow end of the talent pool.

What drove up prices are lower tax monies going to schools.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! You are 100% correct. Like most things, tax cuts are to blame for institutional failures. Conservatives know this...they know tax cuts don't pay for themselves. Remember, when this fiscal scheme was first proposed in 1981, the argument was that tax cuts would produce so much revenue, there wouldn't be a need to cut spending. When that turned out to be a crock, the argument shifted that tax cuts need time to work. When that turned out to be a crock, the argument shifted again to tax cuts coupled with spending cuts would work, nevermind the fact that argument undermines the original one but whatever...when that turned out to be a crock, the argument shifted yet again to one of emotion. So Conservatives have completely abandoned the economic argument they made to make an emotional one.

Tax cuts serve two functions; first is the redistribution of wealth to the top. The second is the manufacturing of deficits that are used as an excuse to cut spending. Those spending cuts are almost always operational, which causes those programs to fail. Then Conservatives point to the failing programs as an excuse to sell them off to private interests who profit at our expense while not delivering any improved outcomes (See: Charter schools, private prisons). The point of tax cuts is to undermine democracy by Trojan Horse-ing the budget. It was just as transparent 37 years ago as it is today.

Forum List

Back