Parents Of Michigan High School Shooting Suspect Charged With Four Counts Of Involuntary Manslaughter

Wow, the parents are now facing four charges of involuntary manslaughter.

I don't know much about this case but from what I have read, those parents weren't very responsible.

Kind of like the school in FL were they decided not to report a troubled kid so they would get more funds. Is it like that? Were those decision makers ever charged?

But they are required to ensure the kids do not misuse it. If a 2 year old got the gun out of the nightstand and shot someone they would also be responsible.

SCOTUS said things like trigger locks are unconstitutional. So states have said "fine, you do not HAVE to use them, but if you choose not to then you are responsible for what your gun does".

I am fine with this
Michigan assumes that a 15 year old can handle a gun without shooting someone.....lots of hunters up there.....my husband is from the UP, he had guns as a young teen.

No, that's not why they're being charge. The prosecutor said they're being charged because they didn't secure the gun and because they should have known he was a threat

As I've stated before there is likely more to this but simply charging someone for something you think they should have known is quite a leap.

Perhaps they did know but I'm going to wait for more info.

As I've stated before there is likely more to this but simply charging someone for something you think they should have known is quite a leap.

Perhaps they did know but I'm going to wait for more info.
Mom texted the kid and said “don’t do it”. I think that seals that charge.

Responsible owners would pay pennies a day for insurance, while high risk individuals would pay much more. It would be the insurance companies (private enterprise) that would determine the rates based on their actuarials.

No different than health insurance charging more for smokers. They would offer discounts like for auto insurance, for people employing safe gun storage, like gun safes and trigger locks. As well as who is given access to them.
Spare me the sales pitch cause I’m not buying it

Most of the gun violence is committed by known criminals and gangbangers

You would waste billions for a .01% percent drop in gun crime and students in schools would still get slaughtered like cattle

Again...do you ever get tired of clowning yourself all based on your desire to gargle a politician's balls?

There were at least 10 school shootings just last year alone...how many of them did you demand your cult leader be charged for??

Where was Biden's DOJ when this kid was spewing these homicidal messages? Where was Goebbels, I mean Garland?

What's the point of spying on every American if the FBI is going to allow these pre-crimes????

As noted, that doesn't even make sense. let's wait to get real facts.

Some context:

"School officials told Jennifer and James Crumbley that they were required to find counseling for their son within 48 hours. McDonald said both parents "failed to ask their son if he had his gun with him" and did not inspect his backpack. Prosecutors believe that the gun he allegedly used in the shooting was in his backpack at the meeting.
Jennifer and James Crumbley "resisted the idea of their son leaving the school at that time." They left the school, and he returned to the classroom.
Hours later, amid news of an active shooter at the school, Jennifer Crumbley texted her son: "Ethan, don't do it."

The family's lawyer said that the parents are returning to the area. I think they'll take the Brian Laundrie route and disappear for a while.... maybe forever.

In Michigan, gun owners are not required to lock up their weapons or keep them away from children, according to Giffords Law Center.

So what is it they are charging them for doing?
Providing him with a firearm and telling him "learn not to get caught" when a teacher reported him for researching where to buy certain kinds of ammunition online during class. Not to mention the drawing of dead people with captions like "soaked in blood" and similar things.

In Michigan, gun owners are not required to lock up their weapons or keep them away from children, according to Giffords Law Center.

So what is it they are charging them for doing?
This is quite a stretch the prosecution is trying to make with regard to the parents being criminally negligent.

Parents can’t be punished for the bad acts of their children; that the parent’s conduct was ‘negligent’ contributing to the deaths of the students isn’t consistent with other applications of the law – such as killing someone while driving drunk. A drunk driver doesn’t intend to kill someone, but the drunk driver was the one who did the drinking and driving.

Charging the parents with a felony with up to 15 years in prison isn’t warranted.

Some context:

"School officials told Jennifer and James Crumbley that they were required to find counseling for their son within 48 hours. McDonald said both parents "failed to ask their son if he had his gun with him" and did not inspect his backpack. Prosecutors believe that the gun he allegedly used in the shooting was in his backpack at the meeting.
Jennifer and James Crumbley "resisted the idea of their son leaving the school at that time." They left the school, and he returned to the classroom.
Hours later, amid news of an active shooter at the school, Jennifer Crumbley texted her son: "Ethan, don't do it."
I wonder what she meant by "don't do it" - at that point he'd already started shooting. Maybe she was worried he'd off himself?

This is quite a stretch the prosecution is trying to make with regard to the parents being criminally negligent.
Not from what I've read. I could see aiding and abetting. But the jury will have to decide. I certainly don't have all the facts.
Parents can’t be punished for the bad acts of their children; that the parent’s conduct was ‘negligent’ contributing to the deaths of the students isn’t consistent with other applications of the law – such as killing someone while driving drunk. A drunk driver doesn’t intend to kill someone, but the drunk driver was the one who did the drinking and driving.
If they owned a deadly dog, and knowingly they let it loose in the neighborhood and it killed someone - they'd be held accountable. And they should be.

Charging the parents with a felony with up to 15 years in prison isn’t warranted.
So knowingly purchasing a firearm for a mentally troubled 15-year-old, giving it to him for Christmas, and not confiscating it when school authorities present evidence of intent to kill in advance a mass shooting is not against the law? If that isn't extreme negligence enabling or in this case fostering a mass murder, then we have a lot of work to do to build common sense into our gun laws.

The family's lawyer said that the parents are returning to the area. I think they'll take the Brian Laundrie route and disappear for a while.... maybe forever.
They're hiding out at Mar-a-Lago. I read it on Gateway Pundit.

I wonder what she meant by "don't do it" - at that point he'd already started shooting. Maybe she was worried he'd off himself?
Ironic that the schools do not want parents to have input. But you want them held accountable for what their child has learned. He is a product of our miserable school system.

Forum List

Back