CDZ Panic is the real enemy.

Dick Foster

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2018
The People's Republic of the Californicated
Back when I was in the air force attending tech school I had an extra duty to teach others who didn't know how to swim. I was at Keesler AFB in Mississippi which is on the coast with lots of water around. The base commander had started a swimming program to gain control over the large numbers of airmen falling victim to drowning.
I've got to tell ya as most others experienced in this area will, the problem isn't really teaching anyone to swim it's really getting control over their panic and fear of the water.
It's actually easier to teach young kids to swim than adults because kids don't have the same level of irrational fear that adults do.
It was odd and at the same time sad to see fully grown men go into panic when confronted with the specter of going into the waist deep shallow end of the pool. It was not really the water that was killing them it was mostly their panic. As soon as they relaxed and began to listen to reason and act rationally you can effectively drown proof most folks in a matter of minutes. After that, they will teach themselves to swim.
As I look around today I see a lot of that same sort of irrational panic going on. Let's not drown ourselves folks.

Back when I was in the air force attending tech school I had an extra duty to teach others who didn't know how to swim. I was at Keesler AFB in Mississippi which is on the coast with lots of water around. The base commander had started a swimming program to gain control over the large numbers of airmen falling victim to drowning.
I've got to tell ya as most others experienced in this area will, the problem isn't really teaching anyone to swim it's really getting control over their panic and fear of the water.
It's actually easier to teach young kids to swim than adults because kids don't have the same level of irrational fear that adults do.
It was odd and at the same time sad to see fully grown men go into panic when confronted with the specter of going into the waist deep shallow end of the pool. It was not really the water that was killing them it was mostly their panic. As soon as they relaxed and began to listen to reason and act rationally you can effectively drown proof most folks in a matter of minutes. After that, they will teach themselves to swim.
As I look around today I see a lot of that same sort of irrational panic going on. Let's not drown ourselves folks.
I learned a long time ago to conquer the fear of death, Dick, by simply realizing that no matter what I do, sooner or later, I'm gonna die anyway. And to all those people who only lived to be 40 years old and those who lived to be 94 in the 18th century, 12 century and 3rd century, what difference does it make now and where did it get them today? Compared to the infinite halls of time, the longest life in the world is still nothing and it isn't death to be avoided but the mere fear of it.

I learned a long time ago to conquer the fear of death, Dick, by simply realizing that no matter what I do, sooner or later, I'm gonna die anyway. And to all those people who only lived to be 40 years old and those who lived to be 94 in the 18th century, 12 century and 3rd century, what difference does it make now and where did it get them today? Compared to the infinite halls of time, the longest life in the world is still nothing and it isn't death to be avoided but the mere fear of it.

That spooky, I've thought in a similar fashion. When I was 19 I thought about the 90 year old and we are relatively the same age. 10,000 years from now if someone looked back at our lives (if we attained some significance in life) they'd say "from this era these two people...", they wouldn't place us in a different era from a mere 70 year ago difference.

That said, fear is often a natural autonomous response. The mind considers the danger and the rest of our body responds accordingly. I look at it like a wrestling match, where I am cool as a cucumber until I hear my name called, sometimes the suspense before also creates the same response if it is th finals or something as I know people are watching, but generally, once I hear my name. the heart starts pounding and I go into fight or flight mode. It's a bit of a rush, at least it was for me.

The odd one for me is how people fear public speaking so much. A similar response occurs even though we absolutely know there is no danger to ones life. The fear of being judged and/or humiliating oneself elicits a powerful fear.

Yeah I know what you mean. The Reaper and I are old acquaintances too. I really do enjoy spitting in that bastard's eye but I also know for a fact that he'll win the game in the end. But pissing your life away worrying about it is letting the bastard win by concession and I'm just too dayum ornery for that.

That spooky, I've thought in a similar fashion. When I was 19 I thought about the 90 year old and we are relatively the same age. 10,000 years from now if someone looked back at our lives (if we attained some significance in life) they'd say "from this era these two people...", they wouldn't place us in a different era from a mere 70 year ago difference.

That said, fear is often a natural autonomous response. The mind considers the danger and the rest of our body responds accordingly. I look at it like a wrestling match, where I am cool as a cucumber until I hear my name called, sometimes the suspense before also creates the same response if it is th finals or something as I know people are watching, but generally, once I hear my name. the heart starts pounding and I go into fight or flight mode. It's a bit of a rush, at least it was for me.

The odd one for me is how people fear public speaking so much. A similar response occurs even though we absolutely know there is no danger to ones life. The fear of being judged and/or humiliating oneself elicits a powerful fear.
The way to get over that one is just doing it. I had to put on a series of training seminars which did it for me. After the first one it was all downhill.

Rooseveldt said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

Of course in those days there was such a thing as a "Democratic Party".

These days days he'd more likely have said: "We have but two things to fear....fear itself and, worse, The Democrat Party."

Seriously, Rooseveldt, leftist as he was at the time, would be far, far too conservative to even be considered for membership in The Democrat Party.

1585951505404.png

Panic can come from different sources- the MSM and godvernment comes to mind with their collusion to make everyone more of a slave to the salvation only a godvernment can provide-
Does the phrase "I ain't skeered" come to mind for anyone?

No, the real enemy is arrogance, indifference, and stupidity; those who are reckless and irresponsible, who don’t take the pandemic seriously and who try to downplay the crisis.

Says the gutless sheeple who's likely terrified of his own shadow and the boogeyman hiding under his bed. Don't be shy, let us hear your bleet. In a pinch a simple moo will do.

Panic can come from different sources- the MSM and godvernment comes to mind with their collusion to make everyone more of a slave to the salvation only a godvernment can provide-
Does the phrase "I ain't skeered" come to mind for anyone?
I thought it was "I ain't ah skeered". Lest ways that's how I've always heared it.

Last edited:
No, the real enemy is arrogance, indifference, and stupidity; those who are reckless and irresponsible, who don’t take the pandemic seriously and who try to downplay the crisis.
..the real enemy is the panickers and overhypers which cause fear
..if you know history, you know the force that panics and loses control to fear loses

That said, fear is often a natural autonomous response.
Fear comes from the ego identifying with the body being the self. Once you realize that the body isn't you and that the real "you" is eternal, untouchable, you lose your fear of bodily death.

The odd one for me is how people fear public speaking so much.
That's a good example. If you are grounded, you have no fear in getting up before others and speaking your mind. It is amazing how many have so little confidence in what they believe (probably because they don't really know what they believe and rely on others to tell them / approve). Before others can approve of you, you must approve of yourself.

Of course in those days there was such a thing as a "Democratic Party".
Teddy Roosevelt was a Republican- fyi- so, Democrats have been around a long time.

The democratic party came about with Andrew Jackson. The republican party pretty much was created around Abraham Lincoln. I think the Democrats have run their course and it's time for them to lay down and die now.

Forum List

Back