Pandemic ”side effects"?

We used to mock their mask wearing at public events. We stopped laughing last year.

I still laugh at masks ...

make-a-funny-fabric-face-mask.jpg

Like most people, I usually have two or three colds a year. But since the pandemic started, not one. I'm fact, I haven't been sick at all - except, ironically, with covid, which presented no symptoms.

Just wondering if others have had similar, or contradictory, experiences. I guess it makes sense. If we're all masked up and avoiding others, there will be less transmission of all communicable disease. But it's given me pause to reconsider my previous habits.
Not even A sniffle. I'm keeping my mask.
My allergies have even gone dormant. I can breath through my nose!

I don't want to make too much out of it. It's not like I plan to wear a mask after things calm down (though I certainly won't look down on those who do.) But I'll be a bit more selective with my "exposure".
I will wear a mask in crowded places.
Five it six years ago, I went to China for the first time, for my son's wedding. I remember seeing people wearing masks. It wasn't required or anything, but a lot of people did it anyway. I remember thinking it was "germaphobic", and kind of ridiculous.

I don't think that way now. And that's not an endorsement of mask wearing. I truly don't know if they're effective or not. But I certainly won't look down on anyone who takes such a precaution.
I was stationed in Japan in 1971 and many people wore masks when in public. I just figured it was their choice. I feel the same now. I don't wear them but I have no problem with others who choose to. I do have a problem with SJW's and virtue signalers trying to validate their choices by expecting me to wear them though.
When the pandemic is over it will be your choice. Until then you are making the choice for all of your friends and family.

That's bad, in case you didn't know.

Yes it does effect the choice of others, but the reality is the others who want to "flatten the curve" can clearly be proven wrong.
Just ask yourself what makes ALL epidemics end?
The ONLY thing that ever ends any epidemic is herd immunity or quarantine.
Quarantine is for when the lethality rate is too high to allow normal herd immunity.
We would do quarantine for something like Ebola.
But we did not do quarantine for covid-19.
That is because the lethality rate is way too low.
The total death rate of covid-19 is only 0.06%.
The lethality of those infected is only 0.2%,
So then what has to end covid-19 is herd immunity.
But that requires about 70% to be immune, and we start with only about 50% of the population being inherently immune naturally, and that include children who are naturally highly resistant.
So that means about 20% of the population has to get infected and recover, acquiring immunity then.
So to achieve the lowest death toll, the ideal then be to accelerate that infection rate as much as possible.
That kills off the virus as quickly as possible, and requires the lowest total number of infections.
But we did not do that.
Instead we decided to "flatten the curve".
Which slowed down the time frame, allowing the epidemic to spread wider and deeper than it would have otherwise.
Which not only prevents herd immunity and maximized the death toll, but can make the epidemic last essentially FOREVER!

Even worse, is that by slowing down the epidemic and making it last longer, we also are forcing it to diverge into variants, one of which may actually be able live on a human population forever, and become endemic to humans.

Another problem with masks and social distancing, is that by not getting as exposed to threats, our immune system gets weaker.
Same thing happened to North American natives who crossed the Bearing Straits, leaving almost all illness behind.
Without that constant exposure to strengthen your immune system, then every little illness caused near extinction.
Even the flu wiped out millions, because their immune systems were no longer up to it.
If a society starts to wear masks all the time, that guarantees a massive threat of extinction the next time a pandemic comes around.

Another problem with masks and social distancing, is that by not getting as exposed to threats, our immune system gets weaker.
Same thing happened to North American natives who crossed the Bearing Straits, leaving almost all illness behind.
Without that constant exposure to strengthen your immune system, then every little illness caused near extinction.
Even the flu wiped out millions, because their immune systems were no longer up to it.
If a society starts to wear masks all the time, that guarantees a massive threat of extinction the next time a pandemic comes around.
You raise some really good points. Hopefully, at some point, we'll be able to set aside politics and learn something from all off this.

Like most people, I usually have two or three colds a year. But since the pandemic started, not one. I'm fact, I haven't been sick at all - except, ironically, with covid, which presented no symptoms.

Just wondering if others have had similar, or contradictory, experiences. I guess it makes sense. If we're all masked up and avoiding others, there will be less transmission of all communicable disease. But it's given me pause to reconsider my previous habits.

I don't want to make too much out of it. It's not like I plan to wear a mask after things calm down (though I certainly won't look down on those who do.) But I'll be a bit more selective with my "exposure".
Five it six years ago, I went to China for the first time, for my son's wedding. I remember seeing people wearing masks. It wasn't required or anything, but a lot of people did it anyway. I remember thinking it was "germaphobic", and kind of ridiculous.

I don't think that way now. And that's not an endorsement of mask wearing. I truly don't know if they're effective or not. But I certainly won't look down on anyone who takes such a precaution.
I was stationed in Japan in 1971 and many people wore masks when in public. I just figured it was their choice. I feel the same now. I don't wear them but I have no problem with others who choose to. I do have a problem with SJW's and virtue signalers trying to validate their choices by expecting me to wear them though.
When the pandemic is over it will be your choice. Until then you are making the choice for all of your friends and family.

Yes it does effect the choice of others, but the reality is the others who want to "flatten the curve" can clearly be proven wrong.
Quarantine is for when the lethality rate is too high to allow normal herd immunity.
But that requires about 70% to be immune, and we start with only about 50% of the population being inherently immune naturally, and that include children who are naturally highly resistant.
So that means about 20% of the population has to get infected and recover, acquiring immunity then.
So to achieve the lowest death toll, the ideal then be to accelerate that infection rate as much as possible.
That kills off the virus as quickly as possible, and requires the lowest total number of infections.
But we did not do that.
Which slowed down the time frame, allowing the epidemic to spread wider and deeper than it would have otherwise.
Which not only prevents herd immunity and maximized the death toll, but can make the epidemic last essentially FOREVER!
Think of the mask as a tiny quarantine for your lungs if that helps.

But we did not do that.

A partial quarantine is much worse than none at all.
If you do not totally wipe out the virus, then all you do is keep it around longer.
The time to get rid of any virus the easiest is to do it the quickest, which is with the initial spike.
If you get that high enough, then it is gone for good.
Anything that reduced that initial spike, prevents the virus from being wiped out, which then can keep it around forever.

But we did not do that.

If you do not totally wipe out the virus, then all you do is keep it around longer.
The time to get rid of any virus the easiest is to do it the quickest, which is with the initial spike.
Anything that reduced that initial spike, prevents the virus from being wiped out, which then can keep it around forever.
That's a strange way to look at it. The idea is to buy time for vaccinations and tomorrow the hospitals from getting overwhelmed.

But we did not do that.

That's a strange way to look at it. The idea is to buy time for vaccinations and tomorrow the hospitals from getting overwhelmed.

First of all, vaccines never are the way to end an epidemic in progress.
We were lucky the 2009 SARs vaccine was able to be modified and work, because it usually take over 6 years.
And these covid-19 vaccine still are not FDA approved and are high risk.

Second is that the hospitals are ONLY at risk of being overwhelmed by the long duration of the epidemic that we artificially created by deliberately flattening the curve. When you flatten the curve, you do not decrease the area under the curve, you greatly increase it, which means far more infected people.
If you allow the spike to kill 60,000 in one month, but get it over with in that one month, that is far less deaths than 30,000 a month, forever!

But we did not do that.

We were lucky the 2009 SARs vaccine was able to be modified and work, because it usually take over 6 years.

Second is that the hospitals are ONLY at risk of being overwhelmed by the long duration of the epidemic that we artificially created by deliberately flattening the curve. When you flatten the curve, you do not decrease the area under the curve, you greatly increase it, which means far more infected people.
If you allow the spike to kill 60,000 in one month, but get it over with in that one month, that is far less deaths than 30,000 a month, forever!
A. Vaccines are almost always the way to end an epidemic.
B. Hospitals only have so many beds and so much staff and equipment. You flatten the curve so everyone isn't sick at once.

But we did not do that.

A. Vaccines are almost always the way to end an epidemic.
B. Hospitals only have so many beds and so much staff and equipment. You flatten the curve so everyone isn't sick at once.

Name any epidemic in progress that was ended by vaccines?
The 1948 Polio epidemic was essentially over by the time the Salk vaccine was available in 1957 for example.
Vaccines prevent new epidemic repetitions, not end ones in progress.

Not once was any hospital at risk of being over whelmed by the early months of the covid-19 epidemic.
The only thing that put hospitals at risk was the fact we flattened the curve and kept it around for so long.
Normally it would only have lasted a month and have been over with, as herd immunity was reached.
The hospitalization mostly came later, as the elderly and compromised could no longer be quarantined.
But even in NYC, hospitals were never at risk so told the USN hospital ship to leave.
Again, flattening the curve increases hospital overload, and does not decrease it.
The load accumulates over time, so if you stretch out its duration, only then do you risk hospital overload.

Forum List

Back