Palestine: the things you don’t hear about

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 232601 View attachment 232602 View attachment 232603 View attachment 232604 View attachment 232605 View attachment 232606 View attachment 232607 View attachment 232608
Stunning horses...

Palestinians in East Jerusalem cherish horses as family | Reuters

For Palestinians, Raising Arabian Horses Is ‘the Hobby of the Poor’

JERUSALEM — In the violent East Jerusalem slum of Issawiya, trash burned next to an open bin, filling the air with an acrid stench. Arabic graffiti covered a stone wall on one side of a steep lane scattered with stones left from clashes between Palestinian residents and Israeli soldiers. A knot of children stopped and eyed two strangers with suspicion.

Then a gray metal gate rumbled open near the top of the street. A pair of exquisitely groomed Arabian horses emerged, their hooves clacking on the dusty pavement. The horses pranced toward the center of town with their riders, Alaa Mustafa, 24, and his cousin Oday Muheisan, 19. Behind them, the open gate revealed a tiny, five-sided lot for exercising horses and a stable with a dozen stalls amid a jumble of apartment buildings.

The two gleaming black horses, certified purebreds named Rawnaq and Furys, provided a glimpse of a Palestinian passion — some call it an obsession — for raising show horses, racehorses and more modest steeds in what might seem like impossible conditions. The horses are bred and to some extent trained in gritty East Jerusalem neighborhoods like Issawiya, Tur and Jabal al-Mukaber, often by families who struggle to share tiny, cramped homes.

“In America, they call raising horses the hobby of the rich,” said Muhamed Hamdan, 25, a Palestinian trainer who studied in the United States. “Here, it’s the hobby of the poor.”

...Many Palestinians say that affection helps them endure life under Israeli occupation. Palestinians and Israelis in the business, as well as foreign trainers and judges who know the region, say that Arabian horses have another effect that is almost magical: They coax Israelis and Palestinians into the same arenas, where the conflict briefly melts away and everyone admires the horses as they strut, dance, gallop and compete for trophies.

“The Arabian horse makes the world so small and puts people together,” said Renata Schibler, a Swiss official with the European Conference of Arab Horse Organizations, who volunteers as a judge in horse shows — essentially, beauty contests — in Israel, where both Israeli and Palestinian horses compete. “The Israelis, Palestinians, sitting together, enjoying the horses. It’s difficult to describe.”
I've never heard of a hobby for the poor being raising throughbred horses. They must be much ealthier than European poor. How to feed them, groom them, care for them if you are poor? Sounds strange to me but it isn't clearly explained in the article.
Different culture, horses have always been an important. It isn’t much different then the Irish with their cultural love for the equine. They aren’t rich. You find a way. They aren’t thoroughbreds. Most likely Arabs, Barbs, Akhel-Tekes and crosses.

Examples from other cultures, poverty doesn’t necessarily prevent you from keeping horses and having horses doesn’t necessarily mean you are rich. In fact, some of the poorest parts of our country are in the reservations...and they have horses.

Ghetto ponies keep Dublin’s urban cowboys away from drugs – The Circular

The Equestrians of North Philly

Different culture, horses have always been an important. It isn’t much different then the Irish with their cultural love for the equine. They aren’t rich. You find a way. They aren’t thoroughbreds. Most likely Arabs, Barbs, Akhel-Tekes and crosses.

Examples from other cultures, poverty doesn’t necessarily prevent you from keeping horses and having horses doesn’t necessarily mean you are rich. In fact, some of the poorest parts of our country are in the reservations...and they have horses.

Fascinating, isn't it, how reality - in a myriad of colors and a most admirable variety of shapes - tends to confound and dispel our most dearly held stereotypes? If it didn't exist, one would have to invent it to serve exactly this purpose.

Fascinating, isn't it, how reality - in a myriad of colors and a most admirable variety of shapes - tends to confound and dispel our most dearly held stereotypes? If it didn't exist, one would have to invent it to serve exactly this purpose.
It is...often our views are formed by stereotypes that get perpetrated, either deliberately, through propaganda, or benignly, through a sort of intellectual laziness or unwillingness to reject stereotypes that confirm one’s bias’.

The same thing occurs with views about Israeli’s, a nation of incredible diversity, color and views, most of which gets buried under the weight of stereotypes and negative propaganda.

I started this thread to confront certain assumptions and because while there after multiple threads informing us of the positive aspects of Israel...there is nothing on the Palestinians. Either they were depicted as nothing but terrorists and or perpetual hapless victims of the Israeli’s. In reality they are far more complicated, colorful, strong, brave and ingenious then is ever portrayed. Where their government refuses to invest in the economy, individuals are, building start ups that are successful against all odds and shockingly, for a conservative Arab culture, comprised of a high number of women, more so than even Israel I think. They have to content with the severe restrictions imposed by Israel, the corruption and problems of their leadership which in tern creates some of those problems I did not realize how interesting until I started LOOKING actively for articles, articles that never seem to get much attention.

Much of it surprised me and these are stories that need telling, independent of the conflict and regional political turmoil that hounds every aspect of IP.

The horses are particularly near and dear to my heart because I love them, and photos are beautifully composed :)

RE: Palestine: the things you don’t hear about
※→ Coyote, et al,

Well, I think there may be something to it.

... Where their government refuses to invest in the economy, individuals are, building startups that are successful against all odds and shockingly, for a conservative Arab culture, comprised of a high number of women, more so than even Israel I think. They have to content with the severe restrictions imposed by Israel, the corruption and problems of their leadership which in turn creates some of those problems I did not realize how interesting until I started LOOKING actively for articles, articles that never seem to get much attention.

Much of it surprised me and these are stories that need telling, independent of the conflict and regional political turmoil that hounds every aspect of IP.
(COMMENT)

The last time I was in Iraq, I met up with a dear friend of mine. She and I first met when she came to help with the 2004 elections. But she moved on from that considering it a colossal waste of time.

Later I met her in Aman, working for very low key NGOs run by that Regional Shakers and Movers. She ran these Micro-investment firms. I did not believe it, think it was over exaggerated. But I dropped in any way; and there she was running this little micro-Investment Management Concern, and there she was actually making it work. investors and the and the business making the loans.

Most Respectfully,
R

I started this thread to confront certain assumptions and because while there after multiple threads informing us of the positive aspects of Israel...there is nothing on the Palestinians. Either they were depicted as nothing but terrorists and or perpetual hapless victims of the Israeli’s. In reality they are far more complicated, colorful, strong, brave and ingenious then is ever portrayed. Where their government refuses to invest in the economy, individuals are, building start ups that are successful against all odds and shockingly, for a conservative Arab culture, comprised of a high number of women, more so than even Israel I think. They have to content with the severe restrictions imposed by Israel, the corruption and problems of their leadership which in tern creates some of those problems I did not realize how interesting until I started LOOKING actively for articles, articles that never seem to get much attention.

Anyone who is even somewhat informed on the living conditions in, particularly, the Gaza Strip, and thought about it for a minute, has to know these folks demonstrate resilience and ingenuity to an astounding degree. Anyone who thought about humankind for a bit, ought to know that it has to be all there, the good, the bad and the ugly, and the astoundingly beautiful, too. And yet, the articles on that are scarce, far between, and popping up in the most obscure places (from my perspective); the blockade mostly saw to that, and also to much the delayed or absent development, which, unleashed, would be the best hope for the region. Before this thread, I haven't seen more than half a dozen articles that didn't deal with the perennial terrorism-intifada-desperation-and-destitution theme. Therefore I didn't find it hard to understand what you are doing here, and am most grateful for everything you dig up. And yes, the women heading start-ups thing was entirely new to me, and surprising to no end in an otherwise stubbornly paternalistic culture. Amazing, and even more of an indication how much there is - how much I have to - learn.

9818E59B-962F-4035-92BA-C625687CABD8.png
351CB26A-60A4-4EA7-8741-3144799885CD.jpeg
245E7542-2EB6-4F92-BA53-6A8A1DC82A9F.jpeg
60FF22CD-5D66-4BCF-8051-D848E10E8889.jpeg
A19315CE-E6D1-4E05-88A7-203C60249BA4.jpeg
14D947BA-7D4C-41E7-8B50-A61D2E92FC31.jpeg
Maher Naji
Maher Naji

Born in Jabalia Camp, Gaza in 1963. He joined the Baron Stieglitz Academy for Fine Arts in St. Petersburg in Russia where he received his Masters and Doctorate degrees in Art and Architecture and held his first exhibit in 1988.

I guess there's quite the gap betwixt what we hear of a country ,and when we realize the individuals in it are just people like anywhere else on this rock...... ~S~

Israelis and Palestinians Set Aside Their Differences To Save Animals In Need – AngusPost

The war between the Israelis and Palestinians is timeless, and one known all too well by most of the general population. The thought of the two groups working together seems decades away from now. However, a recent situation involving shelter animals has struck the hearts of thousands of readers. The safety and well-being of stray dogs has convinced this community to finally work together.

Just east of Bethlehem, in a town called Beit Sahur, the only Palestinian-run animal shelter in the West Bank was in danger of shutting down last week. A crowd-funding campaign was created through Headstart, in which they were asking for NIS 50,000 in order to keep the shelter running. As of Sunday, August 28th, more than NIS 74,000 had been raised. The most incredible part of all of this is that over 400 of the backers were Israeli.

E04B13B0-AF0C-44E9-B95D-010D56E5819A.jpeg

I don't believe any of us would deny there are some good Palestinians doing good for their own kind. So tell us, are these Palestinians you present not victims of their own elected leadership?
Don't you have any personal experiences of good Palestinians with which to offer?

Really?! Did you read the threads intended to say positive things about Israel? Did you police the trolling on those threads? Did you make sure it was only about positive things?
I do remember her saying positive things on those threads, why can't you say something positive on hers?

Did you call them out on posts which didn't fit that positive thing trope? Did you call Team P out on trolling threads that are meant to be positive only?
How are trolling threads meant to be positive?

Did you want to support objective standards here? Or what? There seems to be a double standard at play here.
Someone who supports objective standards, does not eschew opposing points of view.

An interesting site....certainly reflects Palestine today

POLITICAL IS PERSONAL IS AN INITIATIVE WHICH CONDUCTS IN-DEPTH INTERVIEWS WITH ISRAELI JEWISH AND PALESTINIAN WOMEN IN WHICH THEY SAFELY AND FREELY SHARE HOW THEIR LIVES HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY THE REALITIES OF THIS CONFLICT.

Aya

I am 28 years old, and I'm from Lyd [Lod in Hebrew, Lyd in Arabic, mixed Jewish-Arab city 15km southeast from Tel Aviv].

I am married and I have a daughter. I’ve been a feminist and political activist for ten years.

I’m very proud of my Palestinian identity. I talk about it all the time.

View attachment 222672

Meital

My name is Meital Marcel. These are the two names that I go by.

I am 39 years old, single, and I live in Tel Aviv.

I studied at Tel Aviv University. My bachelor’s degree is in cinema and philosophy, and my master’s degree is in literature.

I work in writing. I publish short stories, only for a small circle of people, but I’m in a development phase, and now one of my short stories has been chosen to be featured in the university’s magazine. The first magazine issue hasn’t come out yet, but they are working on it now.

My biggest dream, however, is to publish a story through a well-known publisher that will give my writing a spring board.

View attachment 222673

Wedad

I’m Wedad Zaid Alkilany, from Ara, in Wadi Ara.

I’m 29 years old, mother to two wonderful daughters, and a student in my last year of a Bachelor’s degree in psychology. Parallel to this, I also study group training, and this year I have spent a lot of time volunteering for the women’s organization Women Wage Peace.

The course in group training is basically a course not related to my degree. It’s something that you study independently with some intensive months of studying, and at the end of the course you receive a diploma.

I really like the course on group training, because I have previously got the opportunity to guide groups, but I wanted to gain professional skills, in order to learn how to do it really well. In addition to this, I am considering working within this field in the future.

The reason why I have chosen to study psychology and group guidance is that, first of all, I don’t have stage fright, and second of all I am a person, who likes to guide groups of people and to talk and to discuss, so I think all of this is very relevant [for me].

View attachment 222674

Rachel

I was born in Herzliya, and when I was a baby we moved to Kfar Saba. I've lived here ever since, but next year we are moving to Tzur Moshe, a moshav [Israeli village], which is a big deal. I'm looking forward to it.

My mother-in-law lives there. She has an olive plantation, and has lived there for 20 years. She is a very special woman. She is a widow and lives there alone, tending to the olive trees all by herself. Most people wouldn't do what she does.

We decided to move there, not to help her, as [Rachel and her husband] are two very busy people. We're moving there to give our children the quality of life that a moshav can offer.

I'll miss Kfar Saba a lot, because I come from a big family. My mother lives here, my sister lives close-by, and my brothers as well. Because of my relationship with them, our decision to move took many years. But sometimes it's difficult in Kfar Saba because we have five children. It's very loud and intense, and we are looking forward to silence from the moshav environment.

I don't think it will be calmer [in the moshav], because of all the work, but it will be a more secure environment, and lately we have been wanting to feel more secure.

In town there is a closer proximity to terror attacks. My children know that I work with Arab women and Palestinians all the time, so of course I teach my children that we don't need to fear Arabs. We need to get over the fears, because the number of terrorists is small. But one can't ignore the everyday news, including the stabbings that mostly take place in towns. The moshav will hopefully be a more hermetic, quiet, and secure place - not only in the safety aspect but in many other ways too.

View attachment 222675

Home

Love palestinians women.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back