P.J. O'Rourke gone

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
Legendary journalist and political satirist P.J. O’Rourke has died from lung cancer complications at the age of 74.
O’Rourke — a libertarian famed for his razor-sharp wit — notably skewered both Democrats and Republicans in print and on television.
“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys,” O’Rourke famously wrote in 1991. He later described described the presidency of Barack Obama as “the Carter administration in better sweaters.”
He published 19 books in total, including his most recent best-seller “Cry from the Far Middle: Dispatches from a Divided Land,”

Comment:
Sad to see him go.
He was a witty writer.
I recommend his book "Eat the Rich".
It's about why some countries and cultures are prosperous, and others are not.

Both sides will try to claim him but O'Rourke was a democrat and it clouded his satirical wit in later years when he supported Hillary for president.
He said that he was a libertarian until the day he got into a conversation with one who was making argumentss about privatizing sidewalks....Sadly,, he became a squishy Romney-esque republican who could tell good jokes in the end.

Did he choke on his own spit trying to get one of his convoluted thoughts out?

He would've been more useful to society, say, if he would've been a truck driver!!

Kurt Vonnegut and Hunter Thompson made P.J. look like the mouthchew he was!
Vonnegut and Thompson were both glib and hard gut-hitting at the same time!!
Something PJ was never able to really pull off as hard as he tried.

1644973098859.png

Cliches are a dime a dozen but you gotta laugh that O'Rourke apparently thought that giving the car keys (of the government) to the wife of a degenerate accused rapist who enabled and justified her husband's peculiar sexual addiction was the best we could do at the time. Legendary political satirists aren't necessarily the brightest bulbs on the marquee.

Last edited:
Legendary journalist and political satirist P.J. O’Rourke has died from lung cancer complications at the age of 74.
O’Rourke — a libertarian famed for his razor-sharp wit — notably skewered both Democrats and Republicans in print and on television.
“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys,” O’Rourke famously wrote in 1991. He later described described the presidency of Barack Obama as “the Carter administration in better sweaters.”
He published 19 books in total, including his most recent best-seller “Cry from the Far Middle: Dispatches from a Divided Land,”

Comment:
Sad to see him go.
He was a witty writer.
He was so good
foreigners around the world is a classic

Comment:
Sad to see him go.
He was a witty writer.
I had no idea he was that old or sick. I grew up on National Lampoon he was a genius. RIP

O'Rourke was a talented writer and like most writers at the time he pretended to be unbiased while he was a die hard democrat. O'Rourke supported the wife of a degenerate sexual addict who never made a dime that wasn't confiscated from taxpayers over a guy who built things and met a payroll and afforded a living wage to workers. Whatever skills he had as a political satirist writer in his old age, O'Rourke was corrupted by his left wing political views that he never could hide

Last edited:
Cliches are a dime a dozen but you gotta laugh that O'Rourke apparently thought that giving the car keys (of the government) to the wife of a degenerate accused rapist who enabled and justified her husband's peculiar sexual addiction was the best we could do at the time. Legendary political satirists aren't necessarily the brightest bulbs on the marquee.
Well said.

I enjoyed O'Rourke's writing, but tossing turds from the peanut gallery at our government of, by, and for the People and the representatives of the People whom they elect never demands heavy lifting. Still, he distinguished himself in an overcrowded peanut gallery of tireless flingers.

Not having any responsibility for actual governance is wonderfully liberating, of course.

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.16.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.17.06 PM.png

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Teddy Roosevelt
.... and as much fun as he provided, I recognize that H.L. Mencken did it far better - as I suspect P.J would heartily concur.

Forum List

Back