Own a 2011-2015 5.7 Hemi? You might want to read this.

petro

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2013
The cold north
Start off with one day at drive thru noticed a loud tick and realized it was my Jeep. Next day MIL light comes on. Stop at auto parts store and read code. P0303, Third cylinder misfire. Single cylinder code.
Try the basics, new coil pack a couple plugs. Code back to #3. Move on to the injectors. Nope.
Move injectors and coils around.
Nope, #3 again. Fairly sure I have no wire issues and Jeep and Dodge forums get real catastrophic from there.
Possible bad valve, or bad lifter destroying cam. Hundreds and hundreds of stories all over the internet of failed Hemi 5.7 lifter/cam issue. Now I was real depressed. Still owe 6K and my Jeep is at 150K.

So I bring it to dealer on the hope they will stand to lifetime powertrain warranty that came with my purchase. I was skeptical from day one that it would ever be honored.
Well, they found I joined the thousands of folks in the Failed Lifter/ Cam club. Lifters on #3 stuck and gouged cam sending metal throughout.
Dealer is now installing new engine and motor mounts and manifolds if they are shot under that lifetime I never imagined I would need. I am relieved and grateful. At that mileage I am stunned.

This issue affects any Hemi 5.7 across all models. The Ram forums had the most stories as they are in more pickups.
Some think its related to MDS system that shuts down four cylinders at cruising. Some think a bad run of lifters or cams. Poor quality after the bailout?
It rears its ugly head as a single cylinder code p030X. Could be any cylinder but 3,5 and 7 seem to be the most popular. If a loud tick is noticed it is already done. Engine runs rough but doesn't fail. Seems innocent at first.
A lot of those stories folks are stuck holding the bag with far lower miles. If a dealer claims lifetime or million mile it really isn't BS. The catch is when repairs reach current value lifetime ends. But keep up on maintaining your ride.
I will be there now except for coverage on new engine.
Link to the many horror stories and some home rebuilds and I hope this doesn't violate rules, just trying to provide info for any Hemi owners.
2011 ram hemi cam/lifter failure

Last edited:
Start off with one day at drive thru noticed a loud tick and realized it was my Jeep. Next day MIL light comes on. Stop at auto parts store and read code. P0303, Third cylinder misfire. Single cylinder code.
Try the basics, new coil pack a couple plugs. Code back to #3. Move on to the injectors. Nope.
Move injectors and coils around.
Nope, #3 again. Fairly sure I have no wire issues and Jeep and Dodge forums get real catastrophic from there.
Possible bad valve, or bad lifter destroying cam. Hundreds and hundreds of stories all over the internet of failed Hemi 5.7 lifter/cam issue. Now I was real depressed. Still owe 6K and my Jeep is at 150K.

So I bring it to dealer on the hope they will stand to lifetime powertrain warranty that came with my purchase. I was skeptical from day one that it would ever be honored.
Well, they found I joined the thousands of folks in the Failed Lifter/ Cam club. Lifters on #3 stuck and gouged cam sending metal throughout.
Dealer is now installing new engine and motor mounts and manifolds if they are shot under that lifetime I never imagined I would need. I am relieved and grateful. At that mileage I am stunned.

This issue affects any Hemi 5.7 across all models. The Ram forums had the most stories as they are in more pickups.
Some think its related to MDS system that shuts down four cylinders at cruising. Some think a bad run of lifters or cams. Poor quality after the bailout?
It rears its ugly head as a single cylinder code p030X. Could be any cylinder but 3,5 and 7 seem to be the most popular. If a loud tick is noticed it is already done. Engine runs rough but doesn't fail. Seems innocent at first.
A lot of those stories folks are stuck holding the bag with far lower miles. If a dealer claims lifetime or million mile it really isn't BS. The catch is when repairs reach current value lifetime ends.
I will be there now except for coverage on new engine.
Link to the many horror stories and some home rebuilds and I hope this doesn't violate rules, just trying to provide info for any Hemi owners.
2011 ram hemi cam/lifter failure
/——-/ I seem to recall Chrysler had issues with the Hemi going back the the 1970s.

Some speculate that cams are so high in engine that parts are oil starved for 15 seconds after startup leading to what many call the Hemi tick at startup with engine quieting after 15 seconds.

Been really educating myself about these engines and MDS systems.

Thanks to government MPG mandates more and more fail points are added to a vechicle just to save a couple miles per gallon. I bought a V8 dammit, not a 4 cylinder. Now they are adding hybrid to the new Hemis? How many times do these cars use their starter in a city drive. I hear cars restarting at lights all the time now when person hits gas.
How many more fail points is that?
Automatic brakes, self steering, MDS, I really want none of it, but you can't avoid it.
Every brand has multiple mechanical, electric and programming recalls and we are stupidly over complicating our vechicles because idiots want Wi-fi and can't keep their eyes on the road.

Some speculate that cams are so high in engine that parts are oil starved for 15 seconds after startup leading to what many call the Hemi tick at startup with engine quieting after 15 seconds.

Thanks to government MPG mandates more and more fail points are added to a vechicle just to save a couple miles per gallon. I bought a V8 dammit, not a 4 cylinder. Now they are adding hybrid to the new Hemis? How many times do these cars use their starter in a city drive. I hear cars restarting at lights all the time now when person hits gas.
Automatic brakes, self steering, MDS, I really want none of it, but you can't avoid it.
Every brand has multiple mechanical, electric and programming recalls and we are stupidly over complicating our vechicles because idiots want Wi-fi and can't keep their eyes on the road.
/——/ I always wondered if the engineers understood some of their designs were flawed and if so, why did they let them go into production. And other engineers built the workhorses like the flat head Ford and small block Chevy that just wouldn’t die. Why didn’t someone think, Ummmm, those cams seem too high in the engine. Let’s work on better lubrication. And don’t get me started on why they design a blockbuster car and insist on changing it every year till no one wants it any more. And my Ford dealer loved the Mercury line because you got an nice upgrade from the standard Ford. An easy up sell. Now that they killed off the brand, his customers looking for something better cross the street to Honda or Toyota. I just don’t get it.

/——/ I always wondered if the engineers understood some of their designs were flawed and if so, why did they let them go into production. And other engineers built the workhorses like the flat head Ford and small block Chevy that just wouldn’t die. Why didn’t someone think, Ummmm, those cams seem too high in the engine. Let’s work on better lubrication. And don’t get me started on why they design a blockbuster car and insist on changing it every year till no one wants it any more. And my Ford dealer loved the Mercury line because you got an nice upgrade from the standard Ford. An easy up sell. Now that they killed off the brand, his customers looking for something better cross the street to Honda or Toyota. I just don’t get it.
How about the GM product Saturn?
Had two of them. Most reliable trustworthy cars I ever had. My ex is still driving one approaching 300K. Change fluids and they went forever. One of the few four cylinders with a timing chain, not a crappy belt.
Still see them everywhere. How the hell did GM let that fail?

Going to drive my Jeep another 10 months till paid off and hope nothing else happens. Shame because I love the handling as the chassis is same as Mercedes ML lineup. Seriously considering a Toyota Tundra. Wanted to keep with American, but losing my faith in reliability.
Sad thing is my 96 Grand Cherroke was very reliable and lasted till 340 K. But it was a simpler design.

They are currently removing engine.
Should get my Jeep back in a week.
Lesson. Buy anywhere that offers lifetime powertrain.
It isn't BS and I am happy to be proven wrong.
Now onto the 3 grand steering issue not covered.

Anyone out there with a Ram, Chrysler 300? Charger or Challeger, Hemi Jeeps?
Any issues?

It's not the engineers so much as it's the friggin bean counters and the gubberment.

It's not the engineers so much as it's the friggin bean counters and the gubberment.
Now the introduction of 8 or 9 speed transmissions that are sealed and can only be serviced by dealer. The government forces these attempts to save a few miles per gallon. Then all the tech the customer demands skyrocket the price of car and parts.
One issue, one accident, it is so expensive the vechicle is basically totaled.

They dearly want us out of our SUV's and trucks. They are attempting to mandate us out of them.

Had two of them. Most reliable trustworthy cars I ever had. My ex is still driving one approaching 300K. Change fluids and they went forever. One of the few four cylinders with a timing chain, not a crappy belt.

Going to drive my Jeep another 10 months till paid off and hope nothing else happens. Shame because I love the handling as the chassis is same as Mercedes ML lineup. Seriously considering a Toyota Tundra. Wanted to keep with American, but losing my faith in reliability.
Sad thing is my 96 Grand Cherroke was very reliable and lasted till 340 K. But it was a simpler design.
Roger Penske was going to pay cash to buy Saturn, but after a meeting with Barry Oboingo's auto kommisars he backed out....Can only imagine what those Marxist know-nothing technocrats from the faculty lounge were demanding that he do.

Last edited:

Roger Penske was going to pay cash to buy Saturn, but after a meeting with Barry Oboingo's auto kommisars he backed out....Can only imagine what those Marxist know-nothing technocrats from the faculty lounge were demanding what he do.
/——/ For the bailout, Obozo insisted GM drop the Pontiac brand just as they were ready to design a GTO retro. I heard the reasoning is the Pontiac name was offensive to Native Americans. Obozo also wanted GM to drop the GMC line because he thought it was redundant to the Chevy Trucks. GM managed to save GMC.
4E35A65E-8F55-4815-9BE6-278DFE872B20.jpeg

I'd buy the new Jeep Gladiator tomorrow if I wasnt familiar with jeeps short comings.
Absolutely Love the concept of the Jeep but have seen too many fail over the years.
After being in off road clubs for years and having my FJ as Mr January in the AllPro Calendar.....
i-b5Vf6BK-X5.jpg

And seeing Jeeps break down on a regular basis I wont buy one.

I've owned Chevy,GM and Ford trucks.
Went to Toyota and I ain't going back,you just cant beat em.
I am considering same route. Damn shame as I like my Jeeps handling, traction,style, but have sadly lost my faith in reliability.
But they say.
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket.

I'd buy the new Jeep Gladiator tomorrow if I wasnt familiar with jeeps short comings.
Absolutely Love the concept of the Jeep but have seen too many fail over the years.
After being in off road clubs for years and having my FJ as Mr January in the AllPro Calendar.....
i-b5Vf6BK-X5.jpg

Wonder if my 96 was a fluke. But it seemed those inline 6 cylinder 4.0 engines would go forever. Ticked like hell, but didn't grind up internally.
My 2011 sure is no 96.

I am considering same route. Damn shame as I like my Jeeps handling, traction,style, but have sadly lost my faith in reliability.
But they say.
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket.

That was a common statement in my off road clubs.
Dont get me wrong,if you were willing to ass up the price of the jeep to modify it you ended up with a badass off road machine.
Had a buddy with a bright red Jeep he called Chili Pepper.....we all called it Lemon Pepper due to its constant breakdowns.
The damn thing left parts on every trail we ran.

i-b5Vf6BK-X5.jpg

Wonder if my 96 was a fluke. But it seemed those inline 6 cylinder 4.0 engines would go forever. Ticked like hell, but didn't grind up internally.
My 2011 sure is no 96.

My experience with Jeeps started in 98.
I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind. My buddy had a new Rubicon and the trans kept overheating on trails the rest of us had no problem with.
Jeeps fix? They added a light to let you know the trans was hot.
Screw that!!!! I just wish we could get the Toyota Hilux here in the US!!!
That mofo is an off road beast!!!!

But they say.
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket.

That was a common statement in my off road clubs.
Dont get me wrong,if you were willing to ass up the price of the jeep to modify it you ended up with a badass off road machine.
Had a buddy with a bright red Jeep he called Chili Pepper.....we all called it Lemon Pepper due to its constant breakdowns.
The damn thing left parts on every trail we ran.
Looks like another merger coming also.

Fiat Chrysler And Peugeot Agree On Merger To Create 4th-Largest Carmaker

i-b5Vf6BK-X5.jpg

My 2011 sure is no 96.

I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind. My buddy had a new Rubicon and the trans kept overheating on trails the rest of us had no problem with.
Jeep should drop from Chrysler and merge with Toyota.

Remember when they were AMC?
That one was...
Ain't
My
Car.

i-b5Vf6BK-X5.jpg

My 2011 sure is no 96.

Jeep should drop from Chrysler and merge with Toyota.

Remember when they were AMC?
That one was...
Ain't
My
Car.

Thats assuming Toyota would have them.
Why cant we buy the Toyota Hilux and many other Toyota off road vehicles here in the US?

Forum List

Back