Over 38,000 species on IUCN's Red List

Crick

Gold Member
May 10, 2014
N/A
Despite some progress on some species, globally, the number of endangered species is growing
The sixth mass extinction is underway and accelerating.

But, hey, this has happened before - when asteroids hit or when huge volcanoes erupted for centuries or temperatures finally caused clathrate events - so it'll be okay. Nothing to it. And, we KNOW humans don't have anything to do with this. Right? Right? I said RIGHT?

Despite some progress on some species, globally, the number of endangered species is growing

But, hey, this has happened before - when asteroids hit or when huge volcanoes erupted for centuries or temperatures finally caused clathrate events - so it'll be okay. Nothing to it. And, we KNOW humans don't have anything to do with this. Right? Right? I said RIGHT?

More windmills.......for the endangered species!!!

And, we KNOW humans don't have anything to do with this. Right? Right? I said RIGHT?

Are you kidding? They either taste good....or we took their space.

We have tons to do with it.

Are polar bears on the list?

It is a travesty what we are doing this planet. It is even more pathetically sad when evidence of global environmental degradation and its effects are everywhere but so many refuse to face this reality. Our descendants will face a world bereft of thousands of extinct species and where plastics in the oceans outweigh the fish population. I expect the descendants of the Anti-environmental nuts will rejoice when the planets only remaining species are humans, rats and jellyfish.

And, we KNOW humans don't have anything to do with this. Right? Right? I said RIGHT?

Quite wrong. As the number of humans on the planet go up the number of species must decline. The only way to reverse this is to reduce the number of people. There is no way to keep growing 8 billion, 10 billion, 12 billion people AND keep all the same species as well.

I hate to see any species go away but that IS part of the natural cycle of things, always has been, and like it or not, mankind is part of Nature's natural cycle.

But man may find in time whether he has the power to affect it or not, that some of the species we lose were vital to the survivability of man as well.

We tend to be harsh on ourselves because unlike other species, we can be both AWARE of our effect on the environment as well as therefore having the possibility of modifying how we affect it.

It is a travesty what we are doing this planet. It is even more pathetically sad when evidence of global environmental degradation and its effects are everywhere but so many refuse to face this reality. Our descendants will face a world bereft of thousands of extinct species and where plastics in the oceans outweigh the fish population. I expect the descendants of the Anti-environmental nuts will rejoice when the planets only remaining species are humans, rats and jellyfish.

Crying_GIF.gif

The "6th mass extinction" is nothing but a ridiculous farce.
On what grounds do you make that claim? Do you believe the IUCN's Red List to be accurate? If not, WHY? What is YOUR source?

If you want to increase the population of an endangered species, it should be put on the menu. How many cattle are in the world, how many chickens, pigs? If elephant was on the menu, there would be 10s of thousands if not millions being bred for sustenance.....

On what grounds do you make that claim? Do you believe the IUCN's Red List to be accurate? If not, WHY? What is YOUR source?
There is nothing scientific about a "red list". It's just some stupid shit that they made up to scaremonger. The ICUN has absolutely nothing to do with science.

Actual environmentalists such as myself all know that.

The "6th mass extinction" is nothing but a ridiculous farce.

Actually, there have been 6 mass extinctions that we know about plus another 8 lesser mere "extinction events."

Mass extinctions:
  1. 2.1 billion years ago during the Rhyacian Period at the end of the Huronian Ice Age where anaerobic life died off to be replaced by oxygen-breathing organisms.
  2. 430 million years ago at the boundary between the Ordovician and Silurian Periods at the beginning of the Andean-Saharan Ice Age.
  3. 370 million years ago in the late Devonian leading to the Karoo Ice Age. These first three were extinctions of sea life only.
  4. 260 million years ago in the late Permian coming out of the Karoo Ice age. This was a true low point in the Earth's biodiversity.
  5. 200 million years ago at the boundary between the Triassic and Jurassic Periods.
  6. And finally, about 66 million years ago with the K/Pg event defining the end of the Mesozoic Era and the start of the Cenozoic Era with the death of the dinosaurs. This was associated with the Chicxulub impactor and the Deccan Traps.
There were also extinction events at:
  1. 600 million years ago during the Ediacaran Period.
  2. 520 million years ago during the Cambrian.
  3. Another 420 million years ago between the Silurian and Devonian.
  4. 310 million years ago during the Carboniferous Period when all the rain forests collapsed.
  5. 130 million years ago between the Jurassic and Cretaceous,
  6. 100 million years ago during the middle Cretaceous when the oceans became starved of oxygen,
  7. 58 million years ago at the end of the Paleocene Epoch when greenhouse gases lead to the PETM.
  8. About 25 million years ago between the Paleogene and Neogene Periods.
Most all of these extinction events was preceded first by a peak in Earth's biodiversity. It would seem that life expands and grows until something comes along to cut it off at the knees to start the process all over again. And no, I didn't copy all this off some website somewhere.

Actually, there have been 6 mass extinctions that we know about plus another 8 lesser mere "extinction events."

Mass extinctions:
  1. 2.1 billion years ago during the Rhyacian Period at the end of the Huronian Ice Age where anaerobic life died off to be replaced by oxygen-breathing organisms.
  2. 430 million years ago at the boundary between the Ordovician and Silurian Periods at the beginning of the Andean-Saharan Ice Age.
  3. 370 million years ago in the late Devonian leading to the Karoo Ice Age. These first three were extinctions of sea life only.
  4. 260 million years ago in the late Permian coming out of the Karoo Ice age. This was a true low point in the Earth's biodiversity.
  5. 200 million years ago at the boundary between the Triassic and Jurassic Periods.
  6. And finally, about 66 million years ago with the K/Pg event defining the end of the Mesozoic Era and the start of the Cenozoic Era with the death of the dinosaurs. This was associated with the Chicxulub impactor and the Deccan Traps.
There were also extinction events at:
  1. 600 million years ago during the Ediacaran Period.
  2. 520 million years ago during the Cambrian.
  3. Another 420 million years ago between the Silurian and Devonian.
  4. 310 million years ago during the Carboniferous Period when all the rain forests collapsed.
  5. 130 million years ago between the Jurassic and Cretaceous,
  6. 100 million years ago during the middle Cretaceous when the oceans became starved of oxygen,
  7. 58 million years ago at the end of the Paleocene Epoch when greenhouse gases lead to the PETM.
  8. About 25 million years ago between the Paleogene and Neogene Periods.
Most all of these extinction events was preceded first by a peak in Earth's biodiversity. It would seem that life expands and grows until something comes along to cut it off at the knees to start the process all over again. And no, I didn't copy all this off some website somewhere.
You pulled all that out of your own head? That would be impressive but it still might be nice to provide a link to a good reference.

I hope those giant yellow and black wasps aren't one of them because I just went full-bore murderer on one that flew in my back door. I don't play when it comes to those bastards.

On average, 18,000 NEW totally unrecognized plant and animal species are discovered every year. That is nearly 50 every single day.

Nearly 50 new mammal species are discovered every year.

"A study in 2011 predicted there are some 8.7 million species on Earth, and we’ve identified maybe 1.6 million of them."

Biodiversity on this planet isn't decreasing, it's increasing.

On average, 18,000 NEW totally unrecognized plant and animal species are discovered every year. That is nearly 50 every single day.

Nearly 50 new mammal species are discovered every year.

"A study in 2011 predicted there are some 8.7 million species on Earth, and we’ve identified maybe 1.6 million of them."

Biodiversity on this planet isn't decreasing, it's increasing.
Increasing CO2 levels promote biodiversity.

This comment: "More marine species have been discovered in the past decade than ever before with an average of 2,000 discoveries per year. The new species discovery rate is still increasing for species in the Ocean, while this is no longer the case on Land." from refutes your assertion.

That would be impressive but it still might be nice to provide a link to a good reference.
Then go find one, Crick! What are you waiting for me for? I'm sure somebody out there somewhere has written a website about it. ITMT, here is part of a chart I created that shows all but the first mass extinction 2.1 billion years ago. The red lines with ME are mass extinctions and the orange lines marked EE denote the occurrence of lesser extinction events. The pattern actually suggests that we could possibly be due for the next extinction event around now! Put another way, since there have been fairly regular extinction events going back over 300 million years, it would be folly to think that now with man on the scene that they are going to somehow just stop or that we can stop the next one! Almost as silly as anguishing whether man is contributing to another one. Obviously, the Earth has not needed man for a very long time to commit an extinction event.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 1.31.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Nice work but I hope you are not concluding that what you have there shows that man is NOT the primary cause of the current surge of extinctions.

PS, the OP has a link. It is the topic of this discussion.

Forum List

Back