Orthodox Jews the future of Jews in NYC

2/3 of all Jews raised in NYC are orthodox now
560,000 Jews in Brooklyn !!!!

The Orthodox Jews and the small conservative Jews seem to be the only future of Jews in the USA

The other Jews around America are intermarrying at huge rates .
Non-practicing Jew here. Alittle true, mostly not. Most Jewish women (even non-religious ones), still raise their kids Jewish regardless if the father is not Jewish. Even many Jewish men that marry non-Jews require their kids to be raised Jewish.

The bigger issue is these dumb-ass Jewish continuing to pray to the cult of leftism, abandon Israel and keep NY, IL, and NJ out of play and make FL closer!

I am Jewish (non-practicing), I think the Orthodox look ridiculous. Very much as ridiculous as Amish or Muslim women in burqas.
I have great respect for Observant Jews.

And I am also far from Observant -- I am Conservodox. I observe Sabbaths, do no work on Holidays, some Kosher, and say some prayers.

In fact, the Haredi movement, and the custom of wearing payot only dates back to the 1700's.
Actually you are referring to the Hasidic movement.
Haredi is a term that originated to describe ultra orthodox Jews in Israel who are not Hasidic.
It's not really used to describe American Jews although I know the New York Times uses it (and the same American Orthodox rabbi writes in each time to explain it is being used incorrectly:) You are correct about the peyot, though, although it is based on a Biblical commandment so all Orthodox Jewish men will not cut their hair in that area super short. I think it can't be cut shorter than just above the cheekbone (but I'm not a guy so I don't know exact specifics;)). I believe it is because at the time the Torah was written, the priests of that time (obviously pagan religions which worshipped idols, as monotheism did not exist as a religion prior) would specially shave that part of their head/face. There may be more esoteric explanations but I think that is what is stated in the text. Peyot=corners, as in corners of the forehead.

Regarding the poster who said he's never met an Orthodox Jew, you probably have and just didn't realize it. We make our way around;). Some of us are more noticeable than others, especially if men are wearing a yarmulke but otherwise we just probably look like we are dressed more conservatively, i.e. men wear slacks instead of shorts, button downs or polos and women generally wear skirts etc (BTW we don't all live in Brooklyn or New York, for that matter.)

Speaking of the NYT and Hasidim/Israeli Haredim, I read an interesting article about their clothes specifically the long black coat the men wear. Interestingly their coats are made of a light, 100% wool (no polyester) so they actually are not as hot as they look and do not cause them to sweat more than the average person walking around in the heat. I have been around Hasidim from time to time and can attest this is true.

Hope this is helpful information....

Forum List

Back