Ontario's 10-cent increase in minimum wage called 'insult' to workers

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Unaccountable, creepy plain clothed officers who decimate our economy and reputation, make $160k a year plus gold plated pension/benefits/

Local grocery store clerk on the front lines of the Wuhan Virus and ensuring citizens eat, "here's an extra 10 cents schlep!"

It would have been better than to not give a raise at all rather than throwing full-time employees an extra $4 a week. Canada is a creepy place. I swear that these decisions are made to watch people grovel and feel even less worth than they already possess.

The minimum wage in Ontario goes up by 10 cents an hour on Friday, an increase that critics are dismissing as so little that it's basically meaningless.

Legislation from Premier Doug Ford's government called the Making Ontario Open for Business Act sets the terms for the 10-cent increase. Under that bill, the minimum wage rises on Oct. 1 by the provincial rate of inflation during the previous calendar year.

The change ticks Ontario's general minimum wage upward to $14.35 per hour. The minimum wage rates for students under 18, and for workers who serve alcohol and receive tips, are also going up by a dime, to $13.50 and $12.55 respectively.

Brady Hakker, who earns minimum wage in his job stocking shelves at a grocery store in Windsor, is greeting the 10-cent pay hike with derision.

"I'm almost a little insulted, if I'm being honest," said Hakker in an interview. "That's not going to make any real difference for anyone, especially considering how prices have been going up over the last little while."

I was to Canada once many long years ago. To hear a Canadian say what you said above about their own country really gives me the shivers about having to live there!

We are losing on the world stage, I take no responsibility for this failure.

Somewhere out there is a poor sap who will take home less because this pay raise will throw them into taxable income threshold.

Unaccountable, creepy plain clothed officers who decimate our economy and reputation, make $160k a year plus gold plated pension/benefits/

Local grocery store clerk on the front lines of the Wuhan Virus and ensuring citizens eat, "here's an extra 10 cents schlep!"

It would have been better than to not give a raise at all rather than throwing full-time employees an extra $4 a week. Canada is a creepy place. I swear that these decisions are made to watch people grovel and feel even less worth than they already possess.

The minimum wage in Ontario goes up by 10 cents an hour on Friday, an increase that critics are dismissing as so little that it's basically meaningless.

Legislation from Premier Doug Ford's government called the Making Ontario Open for Business Act sets the terms for the 10-cent increase. Under that bill, the minimum wage rises on Oct. 1 by the provincial rate of inflation during the previous calendar year.

The change ticks Ontario's general minimum wage upward to $14.35 per hour. The minimum wage rates for students under 18, and for workers who serve alcohol and receive tips, are also going up by a dime, to $13.50 and $12.55 respectively.

Brady Hakker, who earns minimum wage in his job stocking shelves at a grocery store in Windsor, is greeting the 10-cent pay hike with derision.

"I'm almost a little insulted, if I'm being honest," said Hakker in an interview. "That's not going to make any real difference for anyone, especially considering how prices have been going up over the last little while."
He should be insulted.Learn a trade and make a real man's wage.

Forum List

Back