One reason for Van Halen's success

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
so Van Halen was making a name for themselves in the local area.

by the time they got a record deal , Eddie had re-written or scrapped the songs they were known for.

Who does that?

I think the reason they were successful was Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing. Nobody had perfected the fret-hammering technique before he did.

I think because there was a lot of sugar-poppy teh suck right before they burst onto the scene. I mean, the "best guitarist" the year before Van Halen was Rick Springfield. Yah. True story.

Good from 68-76, disco, crappy pop rock, Van Halen is the time progression, IMO.

It only took a couple years of crap. :04:

Eddie Van hasbeen used floyd rose locks, was a Les Paul student ,and basically fell into a gig with the right people at the right time ~S~

Eddie Van hasbeen used floyd rose locks, was a Les Paul student ,and basically fell into a gig with the right people at the right time ~S~

I really never heard any Les Paul influence in his work. Speedball influence, maybe. Do you know what's better than a Floyd Rose lock?

Do you know what's better than a Floyd Rose lock?

no......

O my, a Kahler 1 ..and 2..derp!

Kahler's are a tremelo bridge system aka-whammy bar, not to be confused with a locking system ,or which FR is one make/model

Stew Mac's top luthier might be worth a gander>

~S~

Go Fuck Yourself. Kahler 1> Anything Floyd Rose, boy.

You ever had an '87 Jackson Strat 24-fret with a Kahler 1? No?

I bet you can't play shit.

PS: That action was the sweetest! I put EMG active humbuckers on it, too.

Do you know what's better than a Floyd Rose lock?

no......

O my, a Kahler 1 ..and 2..derp!

Kahler's are a tremelo bridge system aka-whammy bar, not to be confused with a locking system ,or which FR is one make/model

Stew Mac's top luthier might be worth a gander>

~S~

Go Fuck Yourself. Kahler 1> Anything Floyd Rose, boy.

You ever had an '87 Jackson Strat 24-fret with a Kahler 1? No?

I bet you can't play shit.

PS: That action was the sweetest! I put EMG active humbuckers on it, too.

Kahler and Floyd Rose tremolos were "new-fangled" back in my day. I was partial to the two-point fulcrum tremolos on the Fender American Standard Strats. The 6-screw tremolo tailpieces on the older Stratocasters were a bitch to set up and keep in tune, I don't know how Hendrix managed to do that with the old-style Fender 6-screw tremolo, especially when they're set up to float so you can use the tremolo bar to go sharp or flat.

Van Halen was probably using a .009 or .010 high E too, that lets you play riffs alot faster. I always favored a .0.11 high E, which gives a fatter tone. But then, I'm no Eddie Van Halen, I was more of a "Hendrix wanna-be" :biggrin:

The strings they used back in the 60's were like fat steel cables more than anything else.

Last edited:
Floyd Rose came out in the late 70's , it is more than just a whammy system which had been out for some time

The dif betwixt a FR and a plain old whammy system is it LOCKS the strings on both bridge and nut

This allows for strings to 'fall off the fretboard' , which EVH elevated to fame with his 'diveboms'

This would be an example of the nut>>>

An example of it's use>

I think the reason they were successful was Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing. Nobody had perfected the fret-hammering technique before he did.

Check out Frank Zappa on the Mike Douglas show circa 1975. Eddie was battling teenage zits while Zappa was tapping "Black Napkins" on national tv

The strings they used back in the 60's were like fat steel cables more than anything else.

What we would do is get a set of Black Diamond strings and move them down a string. Use the e for a b, the b for a g, and so on.

Check out Frank Zappa on the Mike Douglas show circa 1975. Eddie was battling teenage zits while Zappa was tapping "Black Napkins" on national tv

I never got Zappa and the MOI, but in retrospective, he was way ahead of his time. I believe his political views were also somewhat libertarian.

Floyd Rose came out in the late 70's , it is more than just a whammy system which had been out for some time

The dif betwixt a FR and a plain old whammy system is it LOCKS the strings on both bridge and nut

This allows for strings to 'fall off the fretboard' , which EVH elevated to fame with his 'diveboms'

This would be an example of the nut>>>

An example of it's use>

Being old-school, I hated those locking nuts when they first came out. If you broke a sting, it was break time while you searched your gig bag for the set of allen wrenches that were supposed to be in there but never were.

:laughing0301:

EVH is a great musician. The second best musician in VH was the bass player/backing vocalist Micheal Anthony believe it or not. The drummer sucks and the lead singer was obviously replaceable multiple times.

Forum List

Back