Once Middle Class, Now Homeless- Barbara Harvey, 68, is the new face

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
the rising market collapse in the United States. Until recently, the Santa Barbara, California resident was living in a condo duplex with a job and a steady income. But she was living above her means and month-to-month on her expenses.

When she lost her job she had no savings, much like many people in the U.S., and she quickly lost her home and found herself living in her car with her two dogs

read more pics Photo Essay Once Middle Class, Now Homeless

the rising market collapse in the United States. Until recently, the Santa Barbara, California resident was living in a condo duplex with a job and a steady income. But she was living above her means and month-to-month on her expenses.

When she lost her job she had no savings, much like many people in the U.S., and she quickly lost her home and found herself living in her car with her two dogs

read more pics Photo Essay Once Middle Class, Now Homeless
Only in the usa. Makes conservatives SOOOOOOOO proud.

Oh it was very clear. I would ask the same thing. She lost her job that was already not enough because she was admittedly living above her means. She is retirement age. Why she is choosing to live in a car I dunno.

My mother thought that homeless people wanted to be homeless. She was a housewife for - what? forty-odd years.

I said what if dad just tossed you out. Said it was over, wanted you gone. Your skills are past-tense, you haven't held a job for decades. You might get alimony - you might not. What if you got it, and he just refused to pay it?

Yes. That's right. You'd be out on the street. Is that what YOU want? No. Of course not. But it is what would happen.

Bad stuff happens to good people all the damn time. It certainly doesn't mean they deserve it, and it most assuredly doesn't mean they should be viewed as 'less-than.'

Wherever shew is now is her own doing. So she shouldn't be getting held up as some poster child for the purpose of twisting some political agenda.

When the cost of living rises faster than ones means, especially if the means are fixed, the needs are inelastic, and the cost of them are growing daily, the reality living above or within those means can change pretty quickly. Everyone blaming people like this woman ignore the reality that it could, and might yet, happen to THEM!

We'll be seeing a lot more middle class slipping into homelessness, now that we have a third world dictator running our country.

She had a job. Some part of that not clear?

Not sure what the point of the OP is, it's an article from 2008

SANTA BARBARA, California (CNN) -- Barbara Harvey climbs into the back of her small Honda sport utility vehicle and snuggles with her two golden retrievers, her head nestled on a pillow propped against the driver's seat.

Californian Barbara Harvey says she is forced to sleep in her car with her dogs after losing her job earlier this year.
A former loan processor, the 67-year-old mother of three grown children said she never thought she'd spend her golden years sleeping in her car in a parking lot.
"This is my bed, my dogs," she said. "This is my life in this car right now."

Harvey was forced into homelessness this year after being laid off. She said that three-quarters of her income went to paying rent in Santa Barbara, where the median house in the scenic oceanfront city costs more than $1 million. She lost her condo two months ago and had little savings as backup.
Mom forced to live in car with dogs - CNN.com

But....

It's been three years since Barbara Harvey turned in for the night in her Honda SUV, wedged between her golden retrievers and a pile of blankets in a barren parking lot in Santa Barbara, Calif. She'd lost her income, then her home, in the real estate crash that plunged the nation into a deep recession.

Surviving Recession - Unemployed, Posponing Retirement - AARP Bulletin

Oh looky :)

Barbara Harvey | LinkedIn

Wherever shew is now is her own doing. So she shouldn't be getting held up as some poster child for the purpose of twisting some political agenda.

It's a photo spread. Where are you getting poster child?

Umm the headline and the thread title. The entire post history of the OP is dropping stuff like this. What they failed to mention is she is not 68. She is 67. Or she was, in 2008 when this actually happened. You see I don't talk about anything unless I check first unlike everyone else around here. She lived in one of the most expensive cities in the country where the average home is over one million and was trying to swing that lifestyle on a loan processor salary. So yes she is the reason it happend. And if she is still rocking parking lots at 72 that is her choice.

Wow story looks a bit different now.....

It's a photo spread. Where are you getting poster child?

Umm the headline and the thread title. The entire post history of the OP is dropping stuff like this. What they failed to mention is she is not 68. She is 67. Or she was, in 2008 when this actually happened. You see I don't talk about anything unless I check first unlike everyone else around here. She lived in one of the most expensive cities in the country where the average home is over one million and was trying to swing that lifestyle on a loan processor salary. So yes she is the reason it happend. And if she is still rocking parking lots at 72 that is her choice.

Wow story looks a bit different now.....
A con, by definition, always works to prove that it is the victim's fault. So there are several million homeless, me poor ignorant con tool. Living on the street. And I know you like it. But the rest of the world is looking at us and laughing. Only in america, and a number of 3rd world nations.

We'll be seeing a lot more middle class slipping into homelessness, now that we have a third world dictator running our country.
Wow. Now there is a brilliant statement. Third world dictator??? Where do you buy your tin foil hats, dipshit. And, though you did not notice, it was a republican who presided over the great republican recession of 2008. And the republican congress who have refused to do anything to stimulate an economy with slow job growth.
Is ignorance bliss, dipshit???

Forum List

Back