On the Pleasure of Hating.

The pleasure of hating, like a poisonous mineral, eats into the heart of religion, and turns it to rankling spleen and bigotry; it makes patriotism an excuse for carrying fire, pestilence, and famine into other lands: it leaves to virtue nothing but the spirit of censoriousness, and a narrow, jealous, inquisitorial watchfulness over the actions and motives of others. What have the different sects, creeds, doctrines in religion been but so many pretexts set up for men to wrangle, to quarrel, to tear one another in pieces about, like a target as a mark to shoot at? Does any one suppose that the love of country in an Englishman implies any friendly feeling or disposition to serve another bearing the same name? No, it means only hatred to the French or the inhabitants of any other country that we happen to be at war with for the time. Does the love of virtue denote any wish to discover or amend our own faults? No, but it atones for an obstinate adherence to our own vices by the most virulent intolerance to human frailties. This principle is of a most universal application. It extends to good as well as evil: if it makes us hate folly, it makes us no less dissatisfied with distinguished merit. If it inclines us to resent the wrongs of others, it impels us to be as impatient of their prosperity. We revenge injuries: we repay benefits with ingratitude. Even our strongest partialities and likings soon take this turn.

"That which was luscious as locusts, anon becomes bitter as coloquintida;" and love and friendship melt in their own fires. We hate old friends: we hate old books: we hate old opinions; and at last we come to hate ourselves.

Wm. Hazlitt - "On The Pleasure Of Hating" (c.1826).
I would argue we hate ourselves first and hate in others what we hate most about ourselves.

So if we transform ourself in effect we transform the world around us.
Nah it's easier to hate! doesn't take any thought or self reflection and works on everybody I don't hate you for what you are ! I hate you because you are!
Hating others does not harm the ones you hate per se. at least not as much as it harms the one hating. It’s just not worth it. But you be you. Everything works itself out eventually.

I wonder if Mindful really believes anyone will read his work?
I think mindful is really caught up in his own importance and wants everyone to see how Intelligent and literate he is by using big words and expressing philosophical ideas he thinks people care about watch how easy it is to get your point across to others. Here I go! Hey mindless that was really mindless drivel that only you understand STFU
Those were Hazlitt's words, not hers. She hasn't produced a single thought about the OP; all she does is flirt with her boys.
She’s not a very good flirt.

Old Lady: will you knock it off, with your duplicitous backstabbing. Please.

William Hazlitt was an English essayist, drama and literary critic, painter, social commentator, and philosopher. He is now considered one of the greatest critics and essayists in the history of the English language, placed in the company of Samuel Johnson and George Orwell. Wikipedia

Died: September 18, 1830, Soho, London, United Kingdom.

So he was a man of his time. He also wrote a book about plain speaking. Something you do not do, instead,resorting to mean spirited sideswipes.
So you can see me! I figured I was on ignore.

What have you to say about the Great Man's ideas, Mindful? It's your OP. I honestly haven't seen you do anything but Mindlessly quip nonsense with ding and G.T. If I missed something of substance, I apologize.

See? You did it again. You just can't help yourself. Judgemental and sanctimonious.

Neither of them, as yet, have put any meat on the table, for me to get my teeth into. Nor have you.The narrative has to be on their terms. With a sprinkling of gotcha games.

I realise you are all tribal. Hostile to interlopers.
I'm sorry the on topic remarks I've made here haven't been sufficiently meaty for you. I don't know whose "tribe" you think I'm fighting for. I agree with G.T. and now Ding that Jung's theory--that what we hate in others is what we hate in ourselves--is not always the case.
I felt sorry for Hazlitt, reading that excerpt. He sounded frustrated and defeated, to me. I didn't mean any disrespect to him.

I don't agree with Ding's theory either.

But he and GT were ramming their own egos down my throat, I hardly had room to breathe, let alone find my way around their rabbit holes.
It’s not ding’s theory, it’s Freud’s and Jung’s. And common sense. Of course it isn’t the only motivation for hate. Never said it was.

Ding. You could at least try to meet me half way.

• Indirect Communication: The British are relatively indirect communicators; they strongly avoid creating conflict and therefore take all necessary measures to remain polite throughout discussion. This involves making indirect statements that vaguely communicate their message without ‘rocking the boat’ (upsetting the status quo). As a result, people often have to read between the lines since what is said is most likely an understatement of what is actually meant (e.g. “not bad” means something is in fact quite good).
That's odd because wasn't it you who criticized me for being vague and ambiguous? Sort of ironic, don't you think?

What exactly would you like for me to meet you halfway upon? I'm not clairvoyant.

Why not? I expect you to know what's going on in that rat's maze of a brain of mine.

You're not vague. You're maddeningly obtuse. And deliberately awkward.
Not a clue other than you like to play games. The real question would be why. That I only have ideas about.

Not my problem.

I think mindful is really caught up in his own importance and wants everyone to see how Intelligent and literate he is by using big words and expressing philosophical ideas he thinks people care about watch how easy it is to get your point across to others. Here I go! Hey mindless that was really mindless drivel that only you understand STFU
Those were Hazlitt's words, not hers. She hasn't produced a single thought about the OP; all she does is flirt with her boys.

Because I'm not doing that.

Strange people you are. Relics of a bygone age.

Old Lady: will you knock it off, with your duplicitous backstabbing. Please.

William Hazlitt was an English essayist, drama and literary critic, painter, social commentator, and philosopher. He is now considered one of the greatest critics and essayists in the history of the English language, placed in the company of Samuel Johnson and George Orwell. Wikipedia

Died: September 18, 1830, Soho, London, United Kingdom.

So he was a man of his time. He also wrote a book about plain speaking. Something you do not do, instead,resorting to mean spirited sideswipes.

What have you to say about the Great Man's ideas, Mindful? It's your OP. I honestly haven't seen you do anything but Mindlessly quip nonsense with ding and G.T. If I missed something of substance, I apologize.

See? You did it again. You just can't help yourself. Judgemental and sanctimonious.

Neither of them, as yet, have put any meat on the table, for me to get my teeth into. Nor have you.The narrative has to be on their terms. With a sprinkling of gotcha games.

I'm sorry the on topic remarks I've made here haven't been sufficiently meaty for you. I don't know whose "tribe" you think I'm fighting for. I agree with G.T. and now Ding that Jung's theory--that what we hate in others is what we hate in ourselves--is not always the case.
I felt sorry for Hazlitt, reading that excerpt. He sounded frustrated and defeated, to me. I didn't mean any disrespect to him.

But he and GT were ramming their own egos down my throat, I hardly had room to breathe, let alone find my way around their rabbit holes.
It’s not ding’s theory, it’s Freud’s and Jung’s. And common sense. Of course it isn’t the only motivation for hate. Never said it was.

GT' s the best motivation for hate. Evah!
:102:

GT' s the best motivation for hate. Evah!
:102:
I don’t hate GT. Why would I?

The clique is never going to accept you no matter how far you bend. Their minds and judgment is made up.

That’s just the way it is.

It seems that way. Maybe not that way to you but to others. Probably because you use a lot of double entendres and you gravitate to the male posters. The women in the clique don’t seem to like you very much.

• Indirect Communication: The British are relatively indirect communicators; they strongly avoid creating conflict and therefore take all necessary measures to remain polite throughout discussion. This involves making indirect statements that vaguely communicate their message without ‘rocking the boat’ (upsetting the status quo). As a result, people often have to read between the lines since what is said is most likely an understatement of what is actually meant (e.g. “not bad” means something is in fact quite good).
That's odd because wasn't it you who criticized me for being vague and ambiguous? Sort of ironic, don't you think?

What exactly would you like for me to meet you halfway upon? I'm not clairvoyant.

Why not? I expect you to know what's going on in that rat's maze of a brain of mine.

Not a clue other than you like to play games. The real question would be why. That I only have ideas about.

Not my problem.
And it’s not my problem that you believe I am maddeningly obtuse and deliberately awkward.

I simply don’t care what the people who post here believe about me. It’s their loss not mine.

I’m not going to Dave about it like they want me to.

Do you know what a robber bird is? That’s the clique in a nutshell.

It seems that way. Maybe not that way to you but to others. Probably because you use a lot of double entendres and you gravitate to the male posters. The women in the clique don’t seem to like you very much.

Not my problem.

Must be a territory thing.

The male posters are mostly the only ones around. Doesn't take Einstein to figure that one out.

Not my problem.
And it’s not my problem that you believe I am maddeningly obtuse and deliberately awkward.

I simply don’t care what the people who post here believe about me. It’s their loss not mine.

You mean a cuckoo?

Not my problem.

The male posters are mostly the only ones around. Doesn't take Einstein to figure that one out.
You haven’t shown the proper deference and you got sideways with the alpha female.

But you keep trying so I wonder if at some level you believe it is your problem.

Not my problem.

You mean a cuckoo?
No. :lol:

Not my problem.

You haven’t shown the proper deference and you got sideways with the alpha female.

But you keep trying so I wonder if at some level you believe it is your problem.

Hadn't you noticed? I'm not there anymore.

I got chased off by the resident alpha hippopotamus.

But back to the topic, perhaps?

This up close and personal stuff doesn't gel well with my culture.

Not my problem.

And yet the same people that were there are here as well. I believe at some unconscious level you believe opposing me will improve your standing. Ordinarily that’s a great tactic. I’ve actually seen it work several times but it won’t work for you. Their verdict is already been handed down with no possibility of parole. No matter how much you prostrate yourself.

Not my problem.

You never really seemed interested in discussing the topic. I know because I tried.

Not my problem.

And yet the same people that were there are here as well. I believe at some unconscious level you believe opposing me will improve your standing. Ordinarily that’s a great tactic. I’ve actually seen it work several times but it won’t work for you. Their verdict is already been handed down with no possibility of parole. No matter how much you prostrate yourself.

Make believe psychology.

Try something else.

I have to leave now. For something more edifying than lying prostate on the floor.

Not my problem.

You never really seemed interested in discussing the topic. I know because I tried.

Lies. All lies.

Forum List

Back