On Jan 6, did Congress/ Mike Pence have the authority to overrule the States Electoral Votes?

Does a Congress or the Vice President have the authority to overturn States EVs?

• Total voters
No. He didnt have to certify them though. They would have gotten around it. Just might have taken some time.
And while we were waiting, good ol pelosi would have became president.
Everyone would have been congratulating pence on that fantastic achievement
🤢🤮

Stop the Steal

That was the objective of the mob storming the Capitol.
Do you believe Congress or the Vice President has the authority to overturn the states Electoral Votes?
at that point the vote/election was never certified to be overturned,, so your question is moot and this thread is just another of many threads just like it and should be closed,,

at that point the vote/election was never certified to be overturned,, so your question is moot and this thread is just another of many threads just like it and should be closed,,
The states had already certified their vote.
Does Congress/VP have the authority to overrule the states?

I had to vote no here because of Tilden/Hayes. The election of 1876 was absolutely nasty. Rampant with fraud, and all kinds of nefarious things going on. To this day, that election holds the record of voter turnout, and it is the only time that the loser not only won a plurality of the vote, but a majority. South Carolina showed a voter participating rate of 101%, which is impossible. The electoral college was a laughing stock. Some members votes were canceled, others were not certified, and still others were changed by members of the state executive branch. Congress faced a hell of a mess when it came time to certify so they created a commission. The commission's ruling was that no electoral college votes would be changed if they "appeared lawful" at first glance.

So that is how it played out, and that is the legal precedence. The funny thing about the election of 2020, unlike the election of 1876, where democrats ended up losing but getting huge concessions from the Republican party, including the removal of federal troops from the last of the remaining Southern states and ending the occupation of the South, the Republican party in 2020 didn't get jackshit. It is a testament to the complete self-absorbtion of Donald Trump that that is the case. Had he put party, or even country, in front of himself, the Republicans could have got strong concessions from the Democrats in order for the election to be certified. I mean I have said it before, if your party Congressional delegation is less effective than the Congress of 1876, then you probably should seek retirement and find something better to do. The Republican delegation in Congress and the Senate today is a bunch of total dumbshits, and that is a reflection on the morons that voted for them more than anything else.

I had to vote no here because of Tilden/Hayes. The election of 1876 was absolutely nasty. Rampant with fraud, and all kinds of nefarious things going on. To this day, that election holds the record of voter turnout, and it is the only time that the loser not only won a plurality of the vote, but a majority. South Carolina showed a voter participating rate of 101%, which is impossible. The electoral college was a laughing stock. Some members votes were canceled, others were not certified, and still others were changed by members of the state executive branch. Congress faced a hell of a mess when it came time to certify so they created a commission. The commission's ruling was that no electoral college votes would be changed if they "appeared lawful" at first glance.

So that is how it played out, and that is the legal precedence. The funny thing about the election of 2020, unlike the election of 1876, where democrats ended up losing but getting huge concessions from the Republican party, including the removal of federal troops from the last of the remaining Southern states and ending the occupation of the South, the Republican party in 2020 didn't get jackshit. It is a testament to the complete self-absorbtion of Donald Trump that that is the case. Had he put party, or even country, in front of himself, the Republicans could have got strong concessions from the Democrats in order for the election to be certified. I mean I have said it before, if your party Congressional delegation is less effective than the Congress of 1876, then you probably should seek retirement and find something better to do. The Republican delegation in Congress and the Senate today is a bunch of total dumbshits, and that is a reflection on the morons that voted for them more than anything else.
So you can see your reflection in Biden? Biden is stupid to the extreme.

Obviously Pence's role is now controversial.

If he had rejected any of the electoral tallies I believe Don Trump and his enablers would have used that as an excuse to declare some sort of emergency and try to maintain their power. If Pence had done that, combined with the lawlessness and violence perpetratd by the MAGAHatters inside and outside of the Capitol.......seems to me to be the scenario that Don Trump would have grabbed and declared he had a right to stay in the Oval Office. That is my humble opinion.

I haven't seem the upcoming Frontline documentary yet that is scheduled to air this week (see link below).....but I certainly expect they will have some insights into Pence's role and his actions.

Check this out, when it airs.:

On Jan 6, did Congress/ Mike Pence have the authority to overrule the States Electoral Votes?​

I don’t believe that’s what the Constitution says, exactly. But I understand how it may be an implicit part of what was intended. Because I also believe the Constitution wouldn’t command the counting of Electoral votes that were absolutely fraudulent.

I’ve never considered the Constitution to be self-refuting, irrational or a suicide pact.

In the matter of this past election, I believe that Vice President Pence kept faithful to his Oath by declining to single-handedly “veto” the count.

Forum List

Back