Oldest Homo sapiens bones ever found shake foundations of the human story

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Idea that modern humans evolved in East Africa 200,000 years ago challenged by extraordinary discovery of 300,000-year-old remains in Moroccan mine

Wednesday 7 June 2017 13.00 EDT Last modified on Wednesday 7 June 2017 17.00 EDT

Fossils recovered from an old mine on a desolate mountain in Morocco have rocked one of the most enduring foundations of the human story: that Homo sapiens arose in a cradle of humankind in East Africa 200,000 years ago.

Archaeologists unearthed the bones of at least five people at Jebel Irhoud, a former barite mine 100km west of Marrakesh, in excavations that lasted years. They knew the remains were old, but were stunned when dating tests revealed that a tooth and stone tools found with the bones were about 300,000 years old

The more we dig and discover the more questions we have...But anyways this doesn't help the religious fuckers that want to control everything with no evidence for their worthless beliefs.

I think your title is a bit exaggerated but thanks for posting.

I think this could possibly mean the timeline is a bit messed up. They found 50k year old evidence of humans in caves in South America. Doesn't meant they came on a boat. Just means our 20k years ago migration theory is a bit off. Most likely..

Idea that modern humans evolved in East Africa 200,000 years ago challenged by extraordinary discovery of 300,000-year-old remains in Moroccan mine
Wednesday 7 June 2017 13.00 EDT Last modified on Wednesday 7 June 2017 17.00 EDT
Fossils recovered from an old mine on a desolate mountain in Morocco have rocked one of the most enduring foundations of the human story: that Homo sapiens arose in a cradle of humankind in East Africa 200,000 years ago.
Archaeologists unearthed the bones of at least five people at Jebel Irhoud, a former barite mine 100km west of Marrakesh, in excavations that lasted years. They knew the remains were old, but were stunned when dating tests revealed that a tooth and stone tools found with the bones were about 300,000 years old
The more we dig and discover the more questions we have...But anyways this doesn't help the religious fuckers that want to control everything with no evidence for their worthless beliefs.
Thanks.
Was just going to post this as it popped on my WSJ Homepage this afternoon.
Yes Creationist Clowns, another Intermediate species.

Scientists Find Oldest Known Specimens of the Human Species
Scientists Find Oldest Known Specimens of the Human Species
Remains found in Morocco date from about 300,000 years ago, about 100,000 older than any other fossils of Homo sapiens

The bones of ancient hunters unearthed in Morocco are the oldest known specimens of the human species, potentially pushing back the clock on the origin of modern Homo sapiens, scientists announced Wednesday.

Found among stone tools and the ashes of ancient campfires, the remains date from about 300,000 years ago, a time when the Sahara was green and several early human species roamed the world, the scientists said. That makes them about 100,000 years older than any other fossils of Homo sapiens—the species to which all people today belong.

“These dates were a Big Wow,” said anthropologist Jean-Jacques Hublin at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology in Leipzig, Germany. He led an international team of scientists who reported the discovery Wednesday in Nature. “This material represents the very roots of our species—the very oldest Homo sapiens found in Africa or anywhere.”

Until now, most researchers believed that modern humankind emerged gradually from a population centered in East Africa around 200,000 years ago. Previous discoveries of early Homo sapiens fossils have been concentrated at sites in Ethiopia.

The fossil discovery at Jebel Irhoud near Marrakesh in North Africa, however, suggests that early humans had already spread across most of Africa by then.

“What’s really neat about this discovery is that you now have evidence of modern Homo sapiens across Africa, about as far from sites in East Africa as you can get,” said anthropologist Bernard Wood at George Washington University’s Center for the Advanced Study of Human Paleobiology, who wasn’t involved in the find.

As early experiments in the human form, these ancestors had quite modern-looking facial features, but relatively primitive skulls, suggesting that the cognitive capacities of modern brains had yet to take shape, the scientists said.

Their faces were likely so contemporary in appearance that they might pass unnoticed on a crowded city sidewalk, although they might need to wear a hat to disguise their skull’s elongated shape, Dr. Hublin said.

Such combinations of traits, though, blur the differences that distinguish one human ancestor from another, making it hard for scholars to classify species accurately. In fact, several early human species, such as Neanderthals, were so closely related to Homo sapiens that they could all interbreed, modern genetic evidence shows.

But several independent experts said they agreed that the fossils most likely belonged to Homo sapiens.

“It has a modern face and a primitive brain case,” said John Fleagle, an expert on primate evolution at Stony Brook School of Medicine, who wasn’t part of the research group. “You would expect it to have a few primitive characteristics even if it is on the main line of our lineage. It shows what is probably an earlier stage of our species.”
[.....]​

Last edited:
  • Banned
Childhood Made Humans Invincible

There’s a misconception among a lot of us Homo sapiens that we and our direct ancestors are the only humans ever to have walked the planet. It turns out that the emergence of our kind isn’t nearly that simple. The whole story of human evolution is messy, and the more we look into the matter, the messier it becomes.

Paleoanthropologists have discovered as many as 27 different human species (the experts tend to debate where to draw the line between groups). These hominids diverged after our lineage split from a common ancestor we shared with chimpanzees 7 million years ago, give or take a few hundred millennia.

Many of these species crossed paths, competed, and mated. Populations ebbed and flowed in tight little tribes, at first on the expanding savannahs of Africa, later throughout Europe, Asia, and all the way to Indonesia. Just 100,000 years ago, there were several human species sharing the planet, possibly more: Neanderthals in Europe and West Asia, the mysterious Denisovan people of Siberia, the recently discovered Red Deer Cave people living in southern China, Homo floresiensis (the Hobbits of Indonesia), and other yet unknown descendants of Homo erectus who left indications that they were around (the DNA of specialized body lice, to be specific). And, of course, there was our kind, Homo sapiens sapiens (the wise, wise ones), still living in Africa, not yet having departed the mother continent. At most, each species consisted of a few tens of thousands of people hanging on by their battered fingernails. Somehow, out of all of these struggles, our particular brand of human emerged as the sole survivor and then went on, rather rapidly, to materially rearrange the world.

Interesting. Too bad you had to ruin it with religion bashing.

:blues:

Looks like they owe Stten McIntyre a big fucking "sorry" for destroying her career

Bullshit! The Earth is only 6,000 years old.

All the evidence shows that religious people are mentally retarded and delusional. Jokes should be made against such idiocy as that is what it is...

The earth is 4.34 billion years old ;)

Come on, don't feed me that bullshit. You are being fooled by a fake patina.

Show me the evidence that the earth is only 6,000 years old. You can't...lol

Religious people use to believe in this shit and a lot still do.

All the evidence shows that religious people are mentally retarded and delusional. Jokes should be made against such idiocy as that is what it is...

Show me someone 6,000 years old that can prove it isn't. Science lies!

Science has tons of ways to date and everyone of them prove me right...Geology, Astronomy and every field imaginable stands at my side. How does it feel to be so fucking wrong but still have such a silly belief in the face of it?

Science has tons of ways to date and everyone of them prove me right...Geology, Astronomy and every field imaginable stands at my side. How does it feel to be so fucking wrong but still have such a silly belief in the face of it?

Oh you are so full of it, God just made stuff look old.

:terror:

This is generally how the fossil record is filled in. A fossil is found that is modern humans say 100,000 years old, and a fossil is found that is obviously not modern humans but on the same branch 350,000 years old. So brackets are in place, one the oldest known homo sapien like creature, and one the oldest known homo sapien. So they then look for fossils between those time periods of true homo sapiens. It's the same way the periodic table was filled in. Scientists knew long before many elements were found where they would fall on the periodic table and what their properties would be. Once discovered the properties were always close to what was predicted and the element was added to the periodic table. Fossil evidence is far more difficult to find, especially of human and human like creatures because of the relatively small numbers that lived in the last 8 million years.

But the new find is generating buzz, it's always good to refine the fossil record and illuminate the natural world.

Well, it changes things for evolutionists. It doesn't change much, if anything, for theist deniers of evolution who are of a mind that humanity began some six to twelve thousand years ago.

Well, it changes things for evolutionists. It doesn't change much, if anything, for theist deniers of evolution who are of a mind that humanity began some six to twelve thousand years ago.

Oh'yess it kind of does! Another data point proving that the earth and humans are far older then 6,000 years old. The more evidence that comes in the more unlikely they're right.

I think your title is a bit exaggerated but thanks for posting.
Agreed. In addition, for a thread in the "Science and Technology" his vulgar, hate-filled anti-religious rant in the OP completely negated his pretense of presenting a scientific discussion.
...The more we dig and discover the more questions we have...But anyways this doesn't help the religious fuckers that want to control everything with no evidence for their worthless beliefs.

Forum List

Back